Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't have to worry about that, there's never any sunlight in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Also can't the sun gently caress up the position tracking cameras too?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neito posted:

Direct sun? Yeah.

Overcast? Eh not so much. I like playing outside in the yard on nice days tbh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When it's super sunny I have to draw the curtains to make guardian work.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sunlight -- even weak-looking direct sunlight -- contains absolutely stupid amounts of IR compared to any indoor-type lighting. That amount of IR will easily wash out what the tracking cameras see (and the IR emitters on the controllers for that matter; the cameras won't be able to pick out the comparatively dim little IR beacons in the sea of sunlight IR.)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

njsykora posted:

The little cardboard bit that's in there when you first get it straight up says on it DON'T LET SUNLIGHT GET RIGHT IN HERE IDIOT.

Agent355 posted:

It says 'keep out of sunlight' on the stickers you have to remove from the lenses before you can use the quest. It's pretty hard to miss.

Holy poo poo. I'm glad I decided to be a Karen and return my initial unit when I suspected a refurb, because it definitely did not have either of those things. I felt kind of unreasonable at the time because it came sealed and the signs of use were very subtle. But I keep my blinds open anytime it's not the peak of summer, and that would have been an upsetting lesson to learn.

It's all good, though, because the (hopefully new this time) replacement comes tomorrow! :pcgaming:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Neito posted:

Not permanently, just messes with the tracking.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Ended up getting the Quest 2 before the price increase. Was planning on waiting but the price increase pushed me to buy it.

What cables are people using for their quest link? Leaning towards Anker or Kiwi.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Both are fine, but Kiwi does longer ones.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

What cables are people using for their quest link? Leaning towards Anker or Kiwi.

I wouldn't even bother with cables. Virtual Desktop gives good wireless performance.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Walkabout Minigolf remains an insanely perfect way to spend some time with friends and relatives. It's just so well-executed, and everyone loves keeping an eye out for lost balls.

It is the mutts nuts. My best friends dad is confined to a wheelchair and cant walk, but can play it with us.

I'm 8,000 miles away from my gf right now but when we play it online it's like she's with me in person.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Sexy….nice.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Sexy….nice.

:awesome:

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Ended up getting the Quest 2 before the price increase. Was planning on waiting but the price increase pushed me to buy it.

Get a cheap wifi6 router and use it just for airlink, live that tether free lifestyle

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

theblackw0lf posted:

I just picked the some random one from Amazon and it's been working fine, the Syntech one I believe?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

people giving side eye to VR chat like mentioning it makes them a furry fugitive, is it just general social anxiety? genuinely curious.

for example, I'm fine jumping into different instances/worlds and shooting the poo poo, usually that's what people are doing. discord with strangers and pick up games don't stress me out

but my sister, after completing the tutorial for Gorilla Tag, noped the gently caress out and took off the headset when she realized the voices coming from over the ledge were real people.

unless there is something intrinsically wrong with VR chat I'm not catching? I honestly don't play it much enough to know, if it is literally all edgy 4chan humour everywhere or oops all furries I never noticed. Unless the aspect people are skeeved out on is that it's an entirely social experience (for the most part)

anyone want to make me a Hank Hill Zybourne Clock model that would be sick

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
friends dont let friends play quest 2 PCVR over a cable-tethered connection

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

forest spirit posted:

for example, I'm fine jumping into different instances/worlds and shooting the poo poo, usually that's what people are doing. discord with strangers and pick up games don't stress me out

but my sister, after completing the tutorial for Gorilla Tag, noped the gently caress out and took off the headset when she realized the voices coming from over the ledge were real people.

I'm not bothered either, but I'm a dude. I'd wager you and your sister have had (and will continue to have) fundamentally different experiences when it comes to strangers on the Internet.

And if VR Chat is a relatively chill and safe exception to the rule (I don't know, I haven't tried it) that's probably because of the community at large giving it the side eye. No community on the Internet stays cute and wholesome for long. As it grows in popularity, the shitheads that validate her reaction will come.

(And I don't blame any of the posters itt who feel awkward anonymously socializing with other people's children, or just don't want to be screeched at by them)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently there is going to be a VR among us. That sounds fun as hell

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I'm pluggin' in and no one can stop me.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I have social anxiety and zero interest in online chats or pick up games of any sort. I like forums because I can choose to not participate whenever I want and take things at my own pace, and discord is fun for the same reasons. But like, being in a room with other people who have societal expectations and poo poo? Hard pass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unsinkabear posted:

I'd wager you and your sister have had (and will continue to have) fundamentally different experiences when it comes to strangers on the Internet.

And if VR Chat is a relatively chill and safe exception to the rule (I don't know, I haven't tried it) that's probably because of the community at large giving it the side eye. No community on the Internet stays cute and wholesome for long. As it grows in popularity, the shitheads that validate her reaction will come.

And I don't blame anyone who feels awkward anonymously socializing with other people's children, or just doesn't want to be screeched at by them

Oh there's plenty of that bullshit in VRChat, it's why friend groups tend to gravitate into private instances to explore or hang out (And if you ever see anyone complaining that "Everyone just hides in private instances all the time", they're telling on themselves in a big way). Sticking to PC-only worlds will eliminate a LOT of the kids on Quests (The Great Pug is a good chill world for conversation and nonsense, and I''ll always recommend it over The Black Cat if you have the PC version available to you), and eventually with some judicious use of the block feature and world-hopping you'll generally find yourself hanging with a decent crowd somewhere along the line.

Dietrich posted:

Apparently there is going to be a VR among us. That sounds fun as hell

It already exists in VRChat as a fan creation, and looking at what's been shown off... it might wind up being better than it. Look up the Among Us world made by Jar if you want to try it out.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

forest spirit posted:

people giving side eye to VR chat like mentioning it makes them a furry fugitive, is it just general social anxiety? genuinely curious.

If anyone is deciding whether they have social anxiety or not, please keep in mind that not wanting to engage in the anime/furry sex chat room for children is not generally a symptom

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

If anyone is deciding whether they have social anxiety or not, please keep in mind that not wanting to engage in the anime/furry sex chat room for children is not generally a symptom

poster above us who obviously has more experience, is VR chat a furry sex chat room for kids?

to be clear I don't want anyone to feel any anxiety! if you are stressed by social situations online then you do you! I don't think VR chat throws you into an instance with screaming and yelling kids, which IS what Gorilla Tag does

I gave other examples - is/was everyone comfortable with Lemming's little magic trick at the beginning of Gorilla Tag, or did you react the way my sister did?

I have no idea if you have since changed this, Lemming, and I know you have discussed in thread before your philosophy regarding that design decision and why you did it. I just don't know if that's still the case. I didn't have a problem and jumped down and started gorillaing like everyone else

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 5, 2022

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Manager Hoyden posted:

You get that this comes off as you being super lovely and ignorant, right?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm sure they think they're the enlightened one here, but yes, they are being lovely on purpose.

forest spirit posted:

to be clear I don't want anyone to feel any anxiety! if you are stressed by social situations online then you do you! I don't think VR chat throws you into an instance with screaming and yelling kids, which IS what Gorilla Tag does...I gave other examples

My bad, I misunderstood from context and thought Gorilla Tag was a creation inside VR Chat

Off topic, I see a lot of hype for Walkabout Minigolf in this thread. I've seen other Walkabouts mentioned, are any of those as beloved?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Goons uncomfortable in social settings. News at 11.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

forest spirit posted:

I gave other examples - is/was everyone comfortable with Lemming's little magic trick at the beginning of Gorilla Tag, or did you react the way my sister did?

The main reason I still haven't played it is because just the thought of this makes me uncomfortable

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

You could mute yourself and the game, then beeline it to the tree to start your own instance.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SpikeMcclane posted:

Put "vrchat" in Google image search

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm very much a "I just want to hang out with my close friends" type so VR Chat is cool, but I have little interest in public lobbies. Most people are probably chill and I definitely have some social anxiety, but it's mostly that I just want to be in a space where I trust the people around me / don't need to worry about people intruding or intruding on other people.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

being untethered is great, but my experience has been hit and miss despite having a router that should be capable with absolutely nothing else on the network using wifi, so I'm a bit apprehensive about shelling out for a dedicated access point, as well as then probably shelling out for a backup battery solution, and figuring out how to attach that...

Basically my very long cable is currently less of a headache and solves two problems at once. I might look into getting to upgrading to full wireless at some point.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Manager Hoyden posted:

Put "vrchat" in Google image search

Does someone else want to say the fun part?

Okay, scrolling through the whole list of dozens of results with safe search off, I got a decent amount of cartoon and anime styled stuff (but also a wide variety of other things). I counted 5 images that included furry or furry-adjacent things. And zero sex.

I'd say it looks about the same as an average SA thread. It's apparently tamer than what I expected.

Edit: And that still doesn't address the bigotedness of what you said. What is wrong with an anime or furry avatar? What's wrong with things of a sexual nature in private? Nothing.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 5, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SpikeMcclane posted:

Okay, scrolling through the whole list of dozens of results with safe search off, I got a decent amount of cartoon and anime styled stuff (but also a wide variety of other things). I counted 5 images that included furry or furry-adjacent things. And zero sex.

I'd say it looks about the same as an average SA thread. It's apparently tamer than what I expected.

Edit: And that still doesn't address the bigotedness of what you said. What is wrong with an anime or furry avatar? What's wrong with things of a sexual nature in private? Nothing.

Yeah I was just talking about the fact that in most of the pictures featuring avatars the avatar is an anime child. I'm sure not rolling the dice turning off the safe search for that particular search

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SpikeMcclane posted:

Searching for VRChat through an incognito tab and the first 40 image results are 50% official art and 50% underage anime catgirls.

Whether or not there's anything wrong with that I'll leave up to the readers to decide.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

Searching for VRChat through an incognito tab and the first 5 rows of image results are 50% official art and 50% underage anime catgirls.

Whether or not there's anything wrong with that I'll leave up to the readers to decide.

The official mascot in the logo is in fact an underage anime girl

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

The official mascot in the logo is in fact an underage anime girl

Bigot

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I did find this gif on the first page, which is pretty funny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/comments/a1tak3/freeze_gif/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah I was just talking about the fact that in most of the pictures featuring avatars the avatar is an anime child. I'm sure not rolling the dice turning off the safe search for that particular search

Ah, so you're just making poo poo up and extrapolating what you already think from tiny, flawed, useless data sets. Like an rear end in a top hat would, for example.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

mutata posted:

Ah, so you're just making poo poo up and extrapolating what you already think from tiny, flawed, useless data sets. Like an rear end in a top hat would, for example.

Tell me the lie

edit: actually don't, I realize that this is a pointless derail. My original point was that there are reasons other than mental illness why a person might not want anything to do with vrchat

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:gonk: