Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mashed_penguin posted:

I imagine it opens up durability problems compared to being in the front as you are adding the power cables into an area that will flex a lot.

Yah, I suspect this is it. This plus making the batteries swappable would add weight and components that would need to withstand flex, sweat and torque. I think they were probably tasked with cutting every ounce they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd really be down for some of these H3VR modes to be more polished but come at a reasonable DLC price. For whatever reason I am way more inclined to spend $5-$10 on a VR game that I know I'll only play for a couple hours so I could definitely see myself shelling for that.

I know people have a bad taste in their mouth on DLC modes, but something like this where the base game is basically a platform with tons of guns, plinking, and a couple modes and then more engineered, polished modes available as DLC seems like a good fit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I know this is a bit of an older game, but been having fun with my VR group playing IronWolf. I wish the sub had more poo poo that could go wrong. We're eyeing the star trek game next.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's also nice because it's a unique aesthetic, something that I strongly value these days.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Welp the new steam library update apparently removed the option to show only VR titles, literally the only sorting option I ever used.

Yes you can. It's in the filter section now, not the sort section.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Prey got a random update for vr multi-player in the Rouge lite dlc. Hoping to try that soon, anyone else give it a go yet?

You have a link to this, I can't really find anything about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't foot trackers work in B&S? I assume it's super gimmicky but using your foot to get a guy off your sword sounds sorta cool.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

moolchaba posted:

Thrill of the Fight

I gave this game a second try tonight on my Quest (I was so sore after 15 min the first time I played it, I needed 2 days to recover).

Despite the fact it was a great workout the first time I played it, I was not impressed with some of the mechanics. While searching around on reddit, I discovered the dev made a game guide (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1780809608).

After reading the guide and understanding how the game registers punches, I'm completely hooked. I did 30 min tonight and I had to hunch over after each round for a breather.

It's a no-brainer at $10.

Yesterday for my workout I did 30 minutes on my stationary bike and ~25 minutes (3 bouts of 3 rounds with a breather in between) of TotF, and it was a helluva workout. I'm in reasonable shape with a resting heart rate of ~50-60 and TotF got me up to 140. Definitely feeling it in my deltoids and lats, I am shocked at how that works you.

I may introduce a warm-up/cool-down of beat saber or something because I underestimated how fast that game ramps you up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HL:A looks like extremely my poo poo, very excited. Here's hoping it runs well on a CV1 and a 1070 so I can string my hardware a little longer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can use something like Turn Signal to help keep you straight
https://store.steampowered.com/app/689580/TurnSignal/

The floor image will twist as you get more twisted up:

https://gfycat.com/ellipticalhiddenfulmar

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I use left-stick move, right-stick snap on touch controllers for H3VR. Works fine. I just turn my body during most firefights but the snap is pretty needed to get myself oriented ideally for my sensors. The mag release/safety on the thumbstick isn't ideal but not that big of a deal. The number of times I screw up because I had trouble with the controller is WAY less than the number of times I just forgot to turn off a safety or badly loaded a round.

Take and Hold really needs more environments, the config page for it seems to indicate this is coming.

The Meatmas Cappocolosseum grilling/wave defense mode is also really good for anyone who likes take and hold.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is where I would totally be on board for Anton to do DLC. If it would improve dev time and quality a 3-map, multiple themed spawn list, expanded "hold" mechanic scene would easily be worth $5 or so.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wouldn't DLC like that just INCREASE the workload of a small team, because they now perpetually have to build for the haves and have-nots? Nevermind the geometric entanglement across multiple DLC sets.

That's really only true for multiplayer games, or if he gated out certain weapons or actions or something. Scenes are pretty standalone and the overhead for managing that really shouldn't be that high. I think there's a real limit to how much you can gate behind DLCs, but Scenes like that wouldn't be too hard and could be scaled if he was adding more people.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anton's also said the reason it's never on sale is because they keep adding content.

Yeah, I have zero qualms about the output, obviously. He is very justified at keeping the price static and the updates are awesome. What I'd like is for him to flesh out the ideas more and fully admit that that is more than can be reasonably asked given his model. Real Expansion-like DLCs seem pretty justified here.

It probably won't happen, but who knows.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

So from the OP, is the Oculus Quest highly recommended over the Rift S? I owned (and sold, because I made a big life change and thought I needed money at the time) a Rift S last year and liked it, but I might decide to get a Quest if the tethered performance is comparable to a Rift S. Like I don't mind some very slight lag since it's streaming off my computer, I just don't want a huge performance hit if that's a factor.

I imagine untethered is fine for like watching movies or whatever, which is the main reason I was considering getting a Quest over the Rift S. It'd be cool to have a portable headset I can take to any room of the house and load up a movie or play some sitting/controller games in bed or whatever. But I also want to be able to play all the Steam VR games I already own at decent framerates.

I don't like that the OP heavily implies the Rift S has a very niche place which I think is not true. Rift S is the lower-cost option when PC-gaming is your use case, and you fit in the IPD range. I have a CV1, but the games I mostly play I'd need to be tethered anyway. I know two people with Quests and 1 never unplugs it from it's tether and the other rarely does.

HOWEVER

Being able to make it portable is a helluva good deal and the 1 guy who does take his portal has basically decided he's always going to have a portable VR even though that only accounts for like 10% of his playtime. So if you think there's times when you'd really like a portable VR, Quest is your device. However, understand you are going to take a bit of a drop in quality for more money, so balance that against portability.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

No, it isn't. I'm not saying AR+VR. I'm saying AR&VR. That's not the same thing. Alongside, not incorporated into.

Yeah, I keep a 360 and Kinect around because Kinect Party will easily entertain my kids when they have friends over for an hour+, and it's reasonably active, creative play on top. They started playing when they were 3 or 4 and my 9 year old still likes it. Adults can have fun with it too. So there definitely is a wide space for AR games that is something else entirely from VR/Monitor gaming.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Good lord those new era specific H3VR Take and Hold characters are hard.

Yeah, he said they weren't balanced yet, but the old west ones are basically impossible with a rift.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How close is TWD compared to, like, Return of the Rottenweiners?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just noticed there's a loving House of the Dead VR game in the Oculus store?! Last time I bought this game it was on Wii and the motion controller made it so loving great. I guess I have to get it.

What? No there isn't. Did you see "Drop Dead"? Cuz I think that's an older "Stand in a room and shoot zombies who come out of doors all around you" game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fliptophead posted:

Thanks for the recs! I don't think I'm ready for H3VR just yet (still pretty uncoordinated with holding things) but will give Crisis VRigade a look. Silicon Rising looks great but not released yet!!

You should get H3Vr anyway. It is not at all a good recommendation for on-rails shooter, but there are tons and tons of chill shooting modes that you can work your way up. And for a VR experience for a new person it's really outstanding. I probably wouldn't jump into Take and Hold or Return of the Rottenweiners first thing but a bunch of modes are a good time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fliptophead posted:

Thanks - I've been putting off that one but sounds like it might be with picking up. I'm actually really surprised there aren't many on rails shooters. It's the perfect format for it.

PSVR has a bunch. To be honest, the problem is motion sickness can be a real problem if the rail does anything but move smoothly in 1 dimension. And unlike getting used to controlled motion there isn't the kind of environmental payoff getting used to it. Games like pistol whip are taking the on-rail shooter in a more interesting direction, imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dingwick posted:

I got my Quest on Tuesday and while I've been having a blast both with standalone and with Link, it's not very comfortable to wear and I'm paranoid about the Link graphics quality being lesser than the Rift S. I need someone to talk me off the ledge because I'm close to returning the Quest and getting the Rift S instead.

Comfort is obviously all up to you, but I wouldn't call the Rift S a gigantic step up in quality or anything. I argue against the "Never S"'s that post here, but if you bought a Quest it's probably because you wanted wireless so you probably should stick with that.

Comfort is another thing though, if you don't see yourself getting used to it then yeah, I'd probably ditch it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

H3VR Alpha 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRr7vU74y24

More armswinger improvements, control screen got unfucked, Mk23 Socom, T&H improvements and you can now pull back the hammers of shotguns with your palm

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Too late, look above!
I surely will buy the game next month.

I am chastened. In penance Chrono.gg has Thumper (which has gamepad VR support) for $5 for today only.

https://www.chrono.gg/

Good Reviews in general (though I've never played it)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, Cappocolesseum is a lot of fun. King of the Grill is the wave defense one, I think? It's got the nice "You need to use the weapons we give you" feel that T&H does.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Beeline for Downtown Wienerton, there's a free backpack in one of the stores.

.....the what now?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Something better is going to come out but probably not soon and almost certainly not before the next console generation this Christmas. I'd guess middle 2021 for the next generation (maybe a slight revision before then) but that's a total guess.

If you want VR, buy VR.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they should be getting the same experience as everyone else because moving via teleport doesn't change much in actual gameplay when you're hopping about through the level at your own pace like any other option. The problem is that developers focusing on Teleporting as the primary movement method limits game design because first and foremost the assumption has to be the player is rooted to one spot at any given moment rather than able to move around and engage with their environment.

The videos they showed have conclusively proven this is not the case with Alyx, so I am not sure what the hypothetical worry is.

Turin Turambar posted:

Can I ask any H3VR veteran to make an "EFFORTPOST" in explaining the different scenes?

I really don't want to do them all, but if you had specific scenes you want described or do you want me to explain the top 3 or 4 I play?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Capocolosseum has a really good wave defense game that involves grilling hot dogs and randomly chosen weapons. It's a really good mode that is a little easier to engage with than T&H.

MEATS has a currency/gun buy thing that's cool and worth playing as you can get used to a lot of gun play without worrying about locomotion at all.

RotR is one of the best VR games to date and I would easily pay $30 for an expanded version.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd like to know about all these 2016 games that are as good as Alyx because what I played back then was, uhhhh, not as good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's heavily coached in what're now fairly outdated design factors; teleport movement as the primary intended movement, basic menu inventory that just snaps a weapon into your hand, low-tolerance vertigo management (eg; slow fall). Not to say they're not still applicable to some people with sensitive constitutions, but devs have realized since 2016 that for most users VR is not the vomit comet they feared it would be and build to a wider scale of potential user experience.

You look at newer games, they tend to have players running about at fast speeds with smooth locomotion as standard, with holstered or backpack inventories for immersion. They're generally a lot less over-concerned about nausea-inducement than older titles.

I thought Alyx's movement was great, smooth motion most of the time and teleport available when it was more convenient. The game had lots of larger areas and didn't at all feel like it was restricted by the teleport motion. Inventory could be better but if the biggest complaint in a game is "I wanted holsters", goddamn, that is a pretty good game!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, playing in games where I am a significantly different height is offputting. Alyx did a good job of things like push button duck/stand which was also really useful since I am 6'3" but play in a basement with a ceiling that is about 6'5", so to do anything over my head I need to IRL crouch and use the button to "stand" in game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Can someone translate for me please if the fact that the Q2 has 1 panel versus the 2 on the Q1 is a bad thing or better thing? It FEELS like a worse thing, but the only thing I can gather is that the largest impact is the IPD limitation thing.

Anything else to look at when considering that aspect?

Its worse for IPD reasons for sure. For quality reasons its not really a big difference, and for cost reasons its much cheaper.

They have a solution for IPD which seems like its ok? Not perfect but probably good for most people. The Ars guy says if his IPD range is less than 1mm away from ideal its unplayable for him, but that seems like a real stretch to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I put in my pre-order for a Q2. I am coming from an OG Rift. G2 is still interesting so I pre-ordered from Target for easy return if this doesn't hit how I want it to.

I totally understand the FB aversion thing and I think its lovely but my FB use is right now just sharing photos of my kids for grandparents and checking restaurant menus so I guess they can take that data.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Costco has a Quest 2 bundle available for preorder, 256gb version ($400) plus elite strap ($50) and fit pack ($40) for $429 :eyepop:

Wooop, changed my target pre-order to a Costco one!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Using USB2 for Link has a 2ms hit to latency, but otherwise the experience is visually identical. Carmack has made it pretty clear that updates to Link in the future will take advantage of USB 3's greater bandwidth, but a cheap-rear end 3m USB 2.0 cable isn't going to give a poor experience in comparison to the official cable. It's cable durability that's more a problem with cheaper cables, the connection points are under frequent stress and I've had 2 cables break.

The Budget Option that still gets you USB 3.0 speeds is a decent quality 1 meter USB 3 Type C > Type A cable and a 5 meter USB 3 active extension cable, which combine to about 30 bucks from somewhere like Amazon. A bit bulky though.

Something like this?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still need the C->A but that was my plan since I am using this for my rear sensor for my CV1.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah I have that exact one and it works alright.

There's another caveat I forgot to mention: the Quest's battery while likely drain during play. Not by much, you might get 6 or so hours from full charge (depends on the cables and USB port etc).

Yeah, I'm a bit worried the Q2 will be worse on the drain given its hardware, but obv we'll see. My longest VR sessions are probably playing The Forest with friends but my limit on that is about 3 hours so I imagine I'll be fine.

I play overwhelmingly PC-connected titles but I'm interested in the versatility of the Q2.

Is there any experience difference between an active 3.0 cable and an official Fiber one?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

quote:

If you've ever used an original Touch controller (from Rift CV1), the Quest 2 controllers are nearly identical.

This is great. The other than the somewhat short battery life the CV1 touch controllers have been there best for me to use so I'm glad they're largely just going back to that design.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

if you're getting the Quest 2, don't forget that you also do not get the PC connector with it, you have to drop another $80 for that cable.

You don't need the $80 cable. Check the posts a page back. An active 3.0 and a c to a works fine and can be had for around $20.

Marxalot posted:

That sounds like some wildly nickel and dime poo poo lmao.

e: "I want a headstrap, better battery, and the ability to link to a PC" puts you in Index/Reverb territory

How much does to cost to make a reverb work wirelessly?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

And an additional battery doesn't seem like a must-accessory either. If you're regularly blowing through the included one playing wirelessly, that's probably a good thing in the value category.

If you only play PC-tethered games and have no intention of ever playing wirelessly then yeah, getting the quest fully decked out is close to reverb levels with the fiber optic cable and accesories (honestly, I'd be hard pressed to get to $500 with the 64GB). Similar to the Quest, if all you want to do is play PC-tethered games, then yeah you probably should look harder one of the more expensive sets.

I mostly play games that still require a PC on my CV1, but I absolutely want to try the Q2 first since the wireless capabilities would be pretty awesome if the Tether is "good enough". If it's not, I'll return it for the G2 but from a value standpoint I'm absolutely going to first try the cheaper thing that lets you use it wherever you want.

Edit: I'd also assume the G2 will have accessories available before too long as well, and (wild thought) they will also probably charge for those.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I found this on Slickdeals. Target is offering 10% back on the Q2 pre-orders if you belong to their circle thing, total price is $269 for the 64GB:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14356691-o...t?src=frontpage

Still think I might like that Costco deal a bit better but now I'm waffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GutBomb posted:

WMR Stuff

Yeah, I was *REALLY* trying to justify playing with that Samsung WMR but the consistent feedback I had was that the tracking was real bad and you have to fight with a lot of config issues, even if the HMD was pretty good. In a lot of ways I'd trade graphics fidelity for good motion tracking any day of the week.

I think the G2 will solve a lot of these issues based on early reviews but, yeah, it needs to be released first.