Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I recently got a Quest 2 and hoo boy this is the future. I just installed and modded Skyrim VR so I can spend another few hundred hours in that world, this time in glorious 3D :getin:

I also managed to set it up so I can connect it to my pc either wirelessly or with a cable and play SteamVR / Rift stuff, and it works much better than I anticipated (I have no experience with more expensive VR headsets so that might be part of the reason why) - the cable has great quality and recharges the headset too so you can play longer, but it's not ideal for standing games due to tangles etc, while Airlink keeps quite stable, maybe thanks to the fact that I'm a nerd and I wanted ethernet cables all over my house, so I have the PC and a Wifi 5 repeater in the room both hooked up via ethernet to the router. Got a few 1-second "black screens" but besides that it worked quite flawlessly with dynamic bitrate. I have to try fixed bitrate, what would be a good starting point? 100-150mbps? It can do max 200mbps apparently

As far as games go, I grabbed : Thrill of the Fight, Walkabout minigolf and Cubism directly on the quest; Blade & Sorcery, Demeo and Skyrim VR on Steam. Next up I'm looking at The Room VR and other similar "adventures/puzzlers"; I'm not a big fan of rhythm games but I guess I'll also have to grab one of Beat Saber, Synth Riders or Pistol Whip ...

anything else that's a must-buy? The one fault with VR I can see is that most games don't seem to be very replayable, they all seem quite short and quite expensive :smith: I'm way too used to Steam regularly putting 100-hours games on deep discount ...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

explosivo posted:

I have to throw out a recommendation for Ragnarock if you're looking for a rhythm game. The three you named have pretty similar soundtracks (though there's custom song support) and nothing I can really jam out to but Ragnarock has a lot of fun rock/metal/other stuff vaguely viking or boat themed and it's one of the best games I've played in VR. It's less dancey and more smashing on an invisible set of drums which I think is why I love it.

Oh yes! Ragnarock actually seemed to be the funniest and most interesting in this niche to me. But there is a question unanswered - does it have Immigrant Song in the soundtrack? If not, 0/10 for how can you even call it a Viking music game without that song :black101:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

As a recent VR haver, well I wouldn't be here without a Quest 2. My gaming PC is past its prime now, there's basically no chance to buy a proper GPU even at insane prices, and I would have to spend 700€ or more on top of that for an index? Hmmm.

Also my wife loves it, which she wouldn't if it was a 700€ wired contraption that had to run games from PC only. I am playing heavily modded Skyrim VR on it and airlink is good enough that I can do it wirelessly, which is mind blowing to me.

For me the quest 2 is like the playstation or Wii was: an absolute revolution for the wide public, very simple and affordable compared to anything else like it while compromising little enough that the experience is still very good, and imo it could really make VR explode. Of course it will get dumped by anyone tech savvy and nerd enough to care as soon as there's something more cutting edge on the market / they realize the limits and start spending big, but without a wide audience progress and investment might be kinda slow.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Some of the reviews say it doesn't play nice with glasses (spacer won't fit) and there isn't enough space to get prescription lenses in comfortably. I suppose the Quest continues...

I just got the VRCover fitness facial interface for the Quest 2 and it's great. 35€ or so, snaps right in on the original glasses spacer, is ventilated (remains to see if the ventilation does really work, haven't really tested it, but I guess having holes is better than not having them?), has 2 different padded cushions (slim and comfort) included, it fits my glasses better than the original facial interface, and the PU leather is soft and less wonky-feeling than silicone while still being easy to wipe clean. All in all, I'd recommend it to everyone even if they find the original facial interface "decent enough"!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SCheeseman posted:

With Quest 2 there's at least the option to drop to 80 or 72hz to alleviate a CPU bottleneck.

by the way I meant to ask earlier but forgot - my Quest 2 is currently set on the default 72hz, should I try to use it at higher refresh like 90hz? Would it cause problems over Airlink on a 5Ghz network? My specs are Ryzen 5800X + 1080 + 16gb ram, and currently I'm only playing Skyrim VR and stuff that doesn't require much power like walkabout minigolf, cubism, and so on

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Skyrim VR on Quest 2 over Airlink trip report:

setting frame rate to 90hz and render resolution to 1.2x gave me a bit of trouble, quite a bit of stuttering especially when in open areas. Not sure if it's the PC not being super powerful (R7 5800x + GTX1080 + 16gb ram), or the wifi being fiddly. I suspect the latter, I could try it with the (non-original) link cable and see if it gets better but I'd avoid it if possible because I really like playing untethered.

90hz and 1.0x render resolution (which is actually less than the 72hz 1.0x resolution, that's kinda baffling to me...) seems to be better and I only had one or two 1-second hiccups in a 1 hour session which is acceptable, and I don't notice the visual downgrade that much.

The network setup is : optic fiber from wall to ONT -> ethernet from ONT to router -> ethernet from router to PC and to AC1200 wifi extender in the same room as the PC -> wifi (5Ghz only, I separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs to avoid confusion) from wifi extender to quest 2 that I play in the PC room.

To be fully honest I can't quite see the difference between 72hz and 90hz either, but I'm one of those weird people that never noticed the benefit of 120+Hz screens, to me they always looked like 60hz so :shrug: I'm even thinking of going back to 72hz and 1.0x render just to maximize performance, mods give me quite a bit of eye candy already and I'd rather not vomit because of stuttering if my wife dares open a Youtube video on her cellphone.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Man, I kinda don't like skyrim to begin with and playing it in VR is more awkward than fun but jesus christ with some 200+ "ultimate VR" mod pack it really does feel uniquely like a videogame from the far future in a way other VR games don't.

(disclaimer: I love Skyrim a whole lot, maybe more than appropriate)

I didn't even touch unmodded skyrim VR but also didn't get the ultimate modpack because I guessed it would've choked my pc (correctly, apparently) and got the FUS modpack instead which is supposed to be just the VR basics re: interface, immersiveness and graphics plus optionally a few choice mods on top. Very modular, and it correctly includes Inigo in the "required" section.

It's still pretty unbelievable what both people and Bethesda have done with a game originally from 10 years ago, it really feels more modern than other things I tried as long as you're in the world and not trudging through menus. The realistic archery is pretty nice and feels good, could easily be an archery game by itself. Someone basically lifted the spell selection mechanic from Blade&Sorcery and shoehorned it in, so now you can push trigger+grip and select spells/weapons/potions etc from a radial menu in front of your hand by sticking your hand into it. Others modeled your whole body, arms legs and all, and let you pick up stuff by telekinesis and interact with it, also grab and throw bodies which is always fun. There's gestures and crap I haven't even looked into, busy as I am kneeling and stretching to try to grab that drat ring that fell off the table and behind a sack of potatoes. For God's sake you can literally irl shout FUS RO DAH to make that shout in game!

Guess that's what happens when you let nerds run amok with your stuff for years, they get good at it and then see cool stuff to include in their favorite pet game and go "ooh yeah let me add this in" :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Seconding this, I just received their "elite strap" and it's so much better than the stock one it's not even funny. Now I can actually wear the headset for 2h or more without suffering, and it doesn't try to embed my glasses into my face.

That and a different facial interface (I have the VRcover one but the kiwi seems to be just as good) I would consider absolute must haves if you're playing everyday or long sessions.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolo posted:

Similarly, is there anything objectively better than the Elite strap if I don't care about an extra battery? Google is pushing the KIWI strap, anyone use that?

I have the kiwi elite strap and it's very good, feels solid and has great support and cushioning, so I would recommend it - I haven't tried anything else though, many glowing reviews for it convinced me to go for it and I must say they seem truthful so far.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

explosivo posted:

VRCover is the go-to, I have one of the silicone covers with the fabric cover over top of it. Feels nicer to me than the thick leather ones and the fabric one comes with two so you can swap them out easily if they get too grungy from a particularly sweaty session.

Seconding VRcover, I use the faux leather pads (2 included, one thicker and one slimmer) and it's good enough for three hours or so. I have the fitness one with airholes for more sweaty stuff but not sure how much it really helps. It was the same price as the others and fit in with the original glasses spacer which I am not sure if the normal VRcover one does

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My favorite VR game, after playing a fair bunch, is still Skyrim, as pancakey as it still feels sometimes.

I am very much a singleplayer guy, and I love immersion in fantastic worlds, but I need a classic structure and long playtime. I want to roam around and do stuff, lose myself in the world, I'd rather have to endure an old school jank for hours on end than a masterfully crafted experience lasting just 2-4 hours like most VR games seem to be.

Give me something like VR RDR2, elder scrolls 6, and so on!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I use my quest 2 mostly as a pcvr headset, it can be a jittery experience on airlink but goes pretty smooth with a cable, which isn't as bothersome as I thought (I don't play very active games though, lots of Skyrim and stuff like moss or similar experiences)

SteamVR has always been kinda janky though. Skyrim still has the main menu below the floor like you say and with airlink it generally had trouble loading certain games and the home

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have 30€ in store credit on the Oculus store, gotten from referring a friend. I'm not even sure when this credit will expire but I feel like getting some game on there, but I have some requirements;

- must be either Quest 2 exclusive or have the same/similar enough performance and quality on PCVR and Quest 2 (otherwise I'd prefer getting the PC version, call me silly but graphics are kinda important to me - I can take a graphically "simple" game but if I know that there's a better looking version around that I could've gotten instead, it kills me)
- for the same reason, crossbuy titles are better than quest-only titles, so I can skirt around that "limitation" in case while still having a standalone game if needed/appropriate
- should be something that really benefits from being untethered and/or playing anywhere, if it's a sitting down at home game the SteamVR version, tethered up, is usually cheaper, easier and better quality
- I'm not a big fan of rhythm games, fitness games, or first person shooters. Much prefer adventures, simulations or simpler action / interactive games
- ideally it should be replayable, the one big complaint I have about most VR games/experiences is that they're too short and "one and done", and that's why I'm mostly playing Skyrim VR now, it's not going to be over in a lazy sunday afternoon

I already own on Quest: Walkabout Minigolf, Thrill of the Fight, Cubism

on SteamVR: Elite Dangerous, Moss, Demeo, Skyrim VR, Trover Saves the Universe, Red Matter, Blade & Sorcery, Cook Out, The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets, A Fisherman's Tale, The Morrigan, Paper Beast, Pavlov VR, Pixel Ripped 1995, Panoptic, Raw Data, Synth Riders, Battlewave and some more assorted extra crap (it's very varied because I bought a few cheap bundles / games on deep discount)

so, what am I missing? :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SCheeseman posted:

Puzzling Places.
Might be a bit too passive for you, but doing 3D jigsaws while sitting out on my breezy balcony is very relaxing. No PCVR version and therefore no crossbuy but the Quest version is good enough that you aren't likely to desire it anyway. A lot of content, particularly if you get your hands on the Patreon-exclusive puzzles.

3D jigsaw also doesn't quite sell it, the photogrammetry high quality and they do lots of fun audio immersion stuff. Controls are simple but flexible, minimal jank, It's a quality game.

this is nice, thanks! My wife would love it and I would get a good time out of it for sure, too. Being not PCVR is a plus, having store credit I don't have to pay "my own money" for something that might be gotten cheaper on steam! :v:

Turin Turambar posted:

I would say Ultrawings 2 (It's good, it will have crossbuy once released on pc, it's simulation) but it isn't really an 'untethered' game, but a seated game. We don't know what price will have in Steam, it was delayed to April

Looks cool, I thought about it but I'm not sure I could handle it - flying and high movement action still don't sit right with me and this specifically may be a bit too action-y perhaps

The Eyes Have It posted:

I prefer lower prices myself for VR software because I feel that if the experience/game ends up being just "fine" (which feels very likely) I will play it twice.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SCheeseman posted:

Puzzling Places.
Might be a bit too passive for you, but doing 3D jigsaws while sitting out on my breezy balcony is very relaxing. No PCVR version and therefore no crossbuy but the Quest version is good enough that you aren't likely to desire it anyway. A lot of content, particularly if you get your hands on the Patreon-exclusive puzzles.

3D jigsaw also doesn't quite sell it, the photogrammetry high quality and they do lots of fun audio immersion stuff. Controls are simple but flexible, minimal jank, It's a quality game.

This is from a while back but I only managed to play this game tonight and hoo boy. Well, there's not much game here - it's 3d jigsaw puzzles, kind of what it says on the tin. But it's terribly addictive and an hour just flew by. As said, beautiful imagery from every angle.

It comes out to 1€/jigsaw puzzle, each can be from 25 to 400 pieces (might seem low but 3d throws a big wrench in the classical concept), the special soundscapes for each puzzle are very cute and immersive, and there are monthly packs with new puzzles for about the same price per puzzle

I heartily recommend it to anyone that ever enjoyed a jigsaw puzzle, or if you just wanna chill out!