Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Tsurupettan posted:

god help me.

I got a Vive back when they were close to the newest thing on the market, but I had chronic issues with an adapter on my video card overheating and causing issues due to poo poo port placement. Finally went on a cleaning binge and hooked everything back up. I feel like I missed out on things getting bigger and I'm looking to do upgrades.

I also played around with VRoid and Unity for the first time today. Definitely an interesting tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

njsykora posted:

VR Megathread: [0] days since last argument about Facebook

I mean, my stance on it is fairly simple: If I were getting into VR today, having not already set myself up for outside in tracking, I'd probably get a Quest 2 without any arguments. It's a very powerful piece of equipment for the price and my computer is already a gaming rig, which means it can be propped up. I don't particularly LIKE Facebook, but drat it's a nice piece of hardware.

On the other hand, I have a lighthouse setup already, which kind of puts me on a particular upgrade path.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Cryptobro posted a video from a 'Rave' at some kinda NFT knockoff of VR Chat.

It was so disappointing a showing that they shut down replies, but the replies and retweets are still putting him on blast.

https://twitter.com/alexmoss/status/1484138206291443714

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gangringo posted:

Are there any good VR design tools? I'm not looking for professional grade, just something to get a house design out of my head and into a visible space.

Try Google Blocks. It's a primitive-shapes based art program.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

njsykora posted:

Find this incredibly hard to believe to be honest.

VCs aren't getting 'wise' but they are getting 'wary.'

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

njsykora posted:

That's just space, the feeling of presence and scale you get with Elite in VR is really awesome. Especially when landing in stations.

Elite was always a little too simulationist for me on some levels. No Man's Sky in VR, however, is loving great.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's been known for a while. The understanding is they want a marketplace for creators akin to Booth or Gumroad.

Comedy option, they make a deal with Linden Lab to use Tilia.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I don't pay attention to it, but I wonder how many places still even teach touch typing.

I imagine some folks just ASSUME that everyone can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Professor Wayne posted:

Watching the bad anime VR sketches put this channel into my youtube recommendations. I honestly can't tell if it's not bad, or if the bar is so low that seeing twin Dr. Kleiners is enough to entertain me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0xC98rhG8

This will sound insane, but I really do need to do some more VRChat time at some point. Being an old nerd who hates going out for all sorts reasons, being able to see the sights in VR has been extremely relaxing.

I need to finish my computer rebuild, first. My poor i7-6700 has been in service for so long that I can feel it when the computer gets pushed too hard.