Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can someone hold my little baby hands through a device recommendation? I read the OP but know very little about VR overall. I've never used it, personally.

Here's what I have:

1) About $1,000 to spend but that's the limit, including any extras.

2) A perfectly decent PC that plays modern game without issue.

3) One space that is about 8' x 8' or a larger space that is away from the PC.

4) I don't suffer from any form of motion sickness. However, my partner can't even be in a car for very long. They've said they're okay not doing VR but I'd like to include them if possible.

5) I have a giant block head. To the point that all headsets have to be maxed out and even then it's a bit tight

6) I mostly want to play games like Alyx, Boneworks and Skyrim

7) I hate Facebook so goddamn much, I cannot put it into words

Any help is highly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a compelling reason to wait for another year or so?

Development seems to be going faster than I had anticipated but has yet to reach saturation and a price point that makes sense for the average consumer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a nice, beefy computer (3080, Ryzen 7) and just bought a HP Reverb 2.

I've never done VR before but I can't wait any longer. I would prefer an Oculus but gently caress Facebook in all of its versions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The TP Link Deco mesh comes with two satellites and is usually $150 or less.

I'm currently using old TPL powerline nodes that suck poo poo (30 MBPs tops) because my house is old as balls.

Gonna switch over to mesh in a month or two.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally got a Reverb 2.1 in the mail. First ever VR experience has been pretty great. The Blade and Sorcery sandbox game is a loving riot.

The screen seems a bit fuzzy? I have perfect eyesight so it's a bit concerning. I tried messing with the slider but it only seems to further limit the FOV.

In any case, no motion sickness and my very skinny office is going to make some stuff very difficult.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Motherfuck setting up the Reverb 2 was a pain in the dick.

It was all fine but now it keep losing connection for no good reason.

Blade and Sorcery crashes after the camera locks up and then everything shits the bed.

VR Chat works sorta but I think the problem lies with Windows VR platform. It keeps saying it can't detect my borders but I'm in the dead center!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bondematt posted:

If you have a B550 or X570 board, make sure to turn off PCIe 4.0, or update your BIOS if yours has the fix.

Otherwise USB will just drop connection randomly.

This was it!

Rolled them back to Gen3 and now everything works perfectly.

Blade and Sorcery is a pretty decent workout for an old fatty like me. Can't wait to buy every VR game, even if they suck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

a great technique to safely VR in my own tiny spaces is a yoga mat folded in half and just try to keep one foot in the center. I still hit the ceiling while playing robot frisbee though :negative:

I put a little square of duct tape on the ground and keep my left foot on it. Thankfully the ceilings in my narrow office are 12'.

Is there a recommended settings guide for SteamVR? Things are pretty stable but I'd like to smooth things out a bit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How's Green Hell or The Forest for VR survival?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone playing Pavlov on a Reverb G2?

It's quite fun but because the controllers are so so chunky, I can't really use any scoped weapons.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, I'm kinda getting sick of my Reverb G2.
It's clunky, temperamental and overall kind of a pain. Has anyone tried to get a refund after the first 30 days? I'm just outside the window.

Also, I haaaaaaaaaaaate Facebook but am willing to make a dummy account if I can get a Quest 2 secondhand. How's the market for that? Anything I should look out for?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Before I got really interested in VR, I was operating under the assumption that even a basic set would run $1,000+. That was the thought my friends and family had as well.

It's great to see VR become more mainstream but it's never going to hit full saturation until more folks understand the lowish price for entry and what you actually need to play decent games. That's on the companies to communicate.

Plus, you can't really describe how VR feels without using it. A kind Goon bought me Star Wars Squadrons and, even though it doesn't have motion controls, being able to look around the cockpit as I'm dogfighting is incredible.

As much as I hate Facebook, the Oculus is the best entry by a wide margin because of the low price and that it can be portable, standalone AND use PCVR.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can anyone suggest 1.5v rechargable batteries?
I only need 8 total since the controllers in the G2 are surprisingly economical.

Also, I think my G2 issues are all fixed. A powered USB hub smoothed out everything and now the only issue is tracking that's not perfect.
Using scoped weapons in Pavlov is basically out of the question, which is fun because I've learned how to hip-snipe somewhat well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll nth that HP support has been very good to me. They messed up one thing and fixed it immediately.

They even replaced one of my broken controllers and didn't ask for the old one back.

Anyone know of a G2 controller breakdown video? I haven't found any and I don't want to take it apart if I'm gonna break it further.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blade and Sorcery is stuttering SO bad. Can't even navigate the menus.

I STG VR never is 100% operable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harry Privates posted:

Got a Quest 2 in November. Any must grabs from the Steam sale? (I have Alyx already)

Boneworks and Pavlov if you like shooting.
Blade and Sorcery for the best melee fighting out there.

Star Wars Squadrons is great but doesn't have motion controls.

Elite Dangerous if you want more space stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does the Steam VR overlay make anyone else stutter like mad?

I avoid it at all costs because it practically locks up the system for about a minute.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, the push button popup buckles my system for a bit every time. I'm on a G2 so I have to run WMR at the same time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think I messed up making the Reverb G2 my first ever VR experience. The picture quality is exceptional and I can't imagine going to something fuzzier later.

Then again, it has a host of issues and I wouldn't wholly recommend it to anyone.

As much as I loving hate Facebook, the Q2 really is the best option in most cases.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

To be fair I have never used a reverb g2 but the quest 2 has really good visuals (resolution-wise) and no screen door effect, I really can’t imagine that being something that would ruin your experience coming from a g2

Hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll see about selling the G2, then.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm still curious how the VR/AR mixed units, like the Lynx, will pan out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the Steam guide. I just picked up 10 games for basically nothing.

I was also under the impression that Payday 2 was split between flat and VR but seeing they are mixed, I'll download it again!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel like I'm going insane again.

Reverb G2: I can get two days of play without a single issue and then some days I'll boot it up and it's such a stuttering mess that I can't play anything. In WMR it's perfectly fine but Steam VR shits the bed at completely random times.
I've done all the troubleshooting available, rolled back PCIe, updated and rolled back drivers for all sorts of stuff. It's even plugged in to a dedicated powered USB hub.

I just can't get a stable, reliable experience.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone else with a Reverb find that the connection between the main cable and the headset gets screaming hot?

I think that may be the cause of my disconnection issues... maybe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone else with a Reverb find that the connection between the main cable and the headset gets screaming hot?

I think that may be the cause of my disconnection issues... maybe.

That wasn't it.

I'm gonna stop bitching in this thread because there's no universal solution; SteamVR just sucks major assssss.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, PCVR is now completely stable for me ONLY if I use a driver/hotfix from last year. Oh well, no issues yet.

I modded Blade and Sorcery a bunch, which was CRAZY easy, and it really invigorated my interest.

Anyone have issues where you can die from your own jumps? If I hold the button down and go forward, I fly forward and die on landing. This happened before I started modding as well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GeForce 3070. It's a widely known issue where it stutters a shitload, doesn't load some stuff and will often lose connection.
Rolling back a good ways resolved it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohhhh right, I forgot about the cheat menu. That'll make practicing archery a lot easier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blade and Sorcery is my favorite Star Wars game.

I downloaded a bunch of Jedi Outcast/Academy maps that have been upscaled and I was transported back to being a teenager hanging out with my little clan on Bespin.

God, it's soooooo good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

I'm not averse to custom maps I just wanted a quick hit last night so that's probably on me. I'll give some a go and see what sticks, I certainly played a lot of 1.6 and DOD back in the day so that all sounds pretty nice.

Yeah you're gonna have to delve in to the custom stuff if you want to go where the people play. Thankfully, once it is downloaded, it is in your library forever and can use them in solo play if you like.

I play gungame in Clock Town from Majora's Mask a lot. It has a hidden jumpscare that got me good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Frog Act posted:

The best custom map I’ve played so far is this bizarre, garish urban level with a block of shops with an aesthetic that is some kind of weird mix of Cruelty Squad and Jet Set radio with some Half Life 2 assets thrown in. I wish I could remember the name of that one, it was a perfect flashback to the era of creative, mind-bending but also self-evidently amateur map design

Though the cartoony old western town and untextured castle map that plays Christmas music and has a santa skin are close runners up

That makes me wish there was a VR version of that anime/cyberpunk shooter that was DEFINITLY NOT Ghost in The Shell. It predated Blacklight by about 5 years or so. It was a competitive team shooter with tons of cyberpunk gadgets. Anyone know what I'm talking about NEO TOKYO I JUST REMEMBERED

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

loving LMAO NeoTokyo is also the name of some lovely NFT scam (all NFTs are scams)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

OK I've gone from having no interest in Pavlov at all to buying it immediately. It sounds like it has that Wild West Internet vibe I've missed for years and by the way I was an absolute master of NeoTokyo back in the day

Does it have any The Hidden maps by any chance

Yeah The Hidden is official now and TERRIFYING.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Frog Act posted:

Yeah? What’s the game mode called I loved Hidden source and haven’t encountered it yet

They call it "The Hide" for some reason and it's not SUPER popular yet.
Push just came out and it has taken a lot of attention away from it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As much as I complain, the Reverb 2 has super nice speakers. Hot drat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh my gooooood

I reduced the resolution per eye in Steam VR to about 60% and it resolved all of my problems. It got rid of the weird shadowing in the middle, all the stuttering is gone and it actually looks a bit better (maybe just smoother).

Now I'm screaming through Boneworks and having an extremely good time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GutBomb posted:

Are you talking about the reverb G2? I had a similar experience when I reduced mine to 70% (9900k/3080) where the visual fidelity change wasn’t noticeable to me but the frame rate jump was massive. Really made a huge difference. Comparing it to the quest 2 that I used to have the reverb g2 still a much better picture, partly because there’s no more video compression artifacts from link/airlink streaming, partly because on oculus headsets colors have always been less vibrant than on any of the WMR headsets I’ve tried, and partly because it’s still a higher resolution than the quest even when you reduce to 70%.

Yeah, it's the G2.

I've gone from "VR is fun but feels like a gimmick that's popular" to "XR is the future holy poo poo I never want to leave my house."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I finally started playing Alyx and I'm gonna loving cry.

This poo poo is so good and legit scary sometimes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really curious what the next generation of wireless XR sets will be.

While I got the G2 smoothed out, I can't help but pine for a Quest 2 for all of its versatility.

Hopefully a non-Meta company will make an honest competitor soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MikusR posted:

Google is back at it. They even hired people from Facebok/Meta.

It might be too much to ask but I'd really like a great product from a company that isn't harvesting every grain of data they can get, with or without my permission.