Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Professor Latency posted:

Probably a long shot, but is there anything like Polybius? The sense of the speed mostly, but art style too. The closest thing I've seen is Thumper, which I love but doesn't scratch the same itch.

Polybius is currently available for PSVR and Oculus via Steam. Before long it should support the Vive/Index/WMR as well; we've an update in progress that we'll put on the Steam version's beta branch as soon as it's in a fit state to be tested.

Minotaur Arcade Vol. 1 is out on Steam, with the Vive/Index/WMR build already out on the beta branch and seemingly holding up pretty well. Once we're sure it's robust enough we'll put it on the main branch and update the store description to indicate that it supports more than just Oculus.

MAv1 also just came out on PSVR in non-USA parts; the US version is fully approved and should be out in a few days.

I just got a Quest and we've been enjoying playing around with that - with setup as simple as "pick it up and put it on your head" and no wires it really makes VR so much more accessible. I've been using VR a lot more since I got it. We'll be looking at getting our engine running on it and possibly getting MAv1 (and v2 by then) and Polybius running on it. Whether we get to sell it officially via Oculus or if we have to go in via SideQuest remains to be seen.

Moving forward I intend for everything we do to be playable in or out of VR as even the oldschool arcade-style stuff we do ends up looking way better in VR than in 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Yeah Polybius is way better in VR. It was made for VR first and making it work outside of VR was a nice bonus, but to fully get the best out of it VR is absolutely the only way to play.

I've heard of people making it work on Vive and we're absolutely cool with people doing that but we want to support it directly so as to minimise faff :).

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Walkabout Mini Golf is brilliant, been playing on Quest for a couple of months now, propagated it to my VR mates and it's excellent once in a while for us all to meet up and play a few holes and chat the poo poo together. We sometimes play an after lunch round with a pal in Tokyo. It's utterly simple hooking up with your mates too, no complex fiddling about to make a mates' game. Plenty of courses, best tenner I've spent in VR.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

sea of losers posted:

i dont want 120hz i just want them to fix the wifi problem :(. its a big deal

same boat. I've got playthroughs of alyx and skyrim on hold since v30 came out because there's just no point trying when you know the wifi's going to poo poo the bed any minute.

even just watching a nature video this morning, I'd just got to the good bit where I was entirely surrounded by a large herd of wildebeest and bam, wifi disconnect, no more wildebeest.

this piecemeal rollout of new versions is shambolic. Just give me my wifi back please oculus.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Can confirm that for me v31 fixed wifi, had several sessions of skyrim VR and walkabout golf with mates and it's been fine, whereas it was pretty much unusable before.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
New Walkabout Mini Golf course just dropped. It's lovely and chill. There are windmills. And baaing sheep. And the wind deflects your ball on some holes.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

SCheeseman posted:

The new Walkabout Mini Golf course is fantastic, they really stepped up their game. The level of detail is much higher than earlier courses and the wind effects are lovely (and are worked into the gameplay!).

e: was beaten to the punch by the resident ox ps. space giraffe vr pls

one of my current projects is the VLM-4 VR lightsynth (backburnered for now as I am doing a bit of paid work) which I intend to use as the basis for Space Giraffe 2.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Walkabout Mini Golf even if it isn't in the sale.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
I'm going to point out Walkabout Mini Golf again because it's cheap as chips and quite lovely to play.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Chin Strap posted:

If I want to maximize AirLink performance what is a good barebones Wifi6 router to use? I have a 5ghz one right now but it still hiccups some.

Not the TP-Link AX10 - I got this a few months ago in anticipation of using Airlink when I eventually got a new PC. I got the PC and it's lovely finally to be able to play Flight Simulator and NMS with smooth frame rates - sometimes. It seems random, sometimes I use airlink and it's smooth and lovely, other times I'll start getting vicious lag spikes every few seconds that make a game unusable. Sometimes restarting the router makes the problem go away, sometimes it doesn't. Reading around it seems quite a lot of people have been having similar problems with that router, so avoid that one.

I'd also be interested to hear what people are finding the best for Airlink, as having just spent out for a decent PC and having my airlink experience spoiled by having chosen a crappy router I might just have to bin the AX10 and get something better, annoying though it will be to have to spend even more to get things working right.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Picked up RC Rush on Steam at the weekend

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1654800/RC_Rush/

and I've been really enjoying it. It's a racing game with remote controlled trucks; you get to race them round a generous selection of courses. Single or multiplayer although I haven't tried the latter yet ( reviewers on steam seem to indicate that it's a hoot though). When I've played RC-style games before I've sometimes found them a bit twitchy and difficult to control (as I imagine the real thing must be until you get good at it). Here they've managed to make the game super accessible with a very well designed assist mode which lets you start playing and racing pretty much immediately whilst still letting you feel like you're actually in control and not just operating a glorified Scalextric. Of course the option is there to turn that off as genuine skills develop.

Jolly good fun. Definitely OX APPROVED.

Looks like a new Walkabout Mini Golf course is imminent (and if any of the new-to-VR people ITT haven't got that, go buy it now, it is absolutely lovely and brilliant fun to play with your mates). Looks like they are adding better avatars than just your usual floating shades and sun visor!

https://twitter.com/WalkaboutMG/status/1467207077219160068

I want a horned golf hat!

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
New Walkabout Mini Golf course drops on the 18th!

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1468649339581046784/pu/vid/1280x720/pqbF08DLaw4mNfG8.mp4?tag=12

Looks nice and chill!

I hope the new avatar stuff is in too so I'll be able to wear the horns they made for me! :D

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
aye get lens inserts, they're not stupidly expensive and being able to ditch your glasses in VR makes it so much more comfortable.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
I absolutely suck at shooting balloons with a pistol whilst flying a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
hahaha loads of love for the ox on Walkabout Mini Golf Sweetopia night mode course :D