Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Sorry as I'm sure this comes up tons but i couldn't see it in the top post.

I got big glasses and terrible eyesight, I tried the index without glasses and it was super blurry. I've seen lots of websites that do lenses you can drop in, are these any good?

FYI I was about to hit go on the Occulus Quest.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks all! I'll try the spacer first but my glasses are pretty silly/hipster so I suspect they won't fit

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
so I go to buy a quest today but the occulus store is sold out. BUT john lewis have one in stock, will i regret not getting it direct if there is problems?

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 27, 2020

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
so it arrived, its wicked! i'm using an old pair of glasses that fits in til the lenses arrive.

I cant get hand tracking working though, dont see any options in the beta section and i've tried just putting the controllers down for a bit. I seem to have the latest firmware and google aint helping, any ideas?

nevermind, just restarted it and it worked

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 30, 2020

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
okay this is amazing, tried some quest stuff and was nice and didn't get sick (until i tried a vr youtube of a rollercoaster, gently caress that) then tried link and works amazing with the cheaper cable i got.

Now while i'm waiting for the lenses (because i'm sure the only glasses i could find the fit in the headset are touching the lenses) I was wondering is there any mods to help comfort, etc? I saw some youtubes where they looked unrecognisable but is that just youtubers pimping there vr-rides?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Those head straps look great, just can’t decide if get it for £60 from amazon now or wait a month for the £40 from China. Being in the uk does limit things with vr addons since they seem to mainly be sold in the USA.

Also anyone in the uk got a link to a good cable for link ? I got a 3m one and it definitely ain’t long enough

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 1, 2020

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Talkie Toaster posted:

Annoyingly the Amazon UK one also charges £15 for shipping and says it ships from China, so that's not that far off DAS territory. The Aliexpress page looks like there's an alternate eye mask in there? Anyone know how well these things work with glasses?

That said, looking at doing a FrankenQuest in the UK doesn't seem to be much better, there's a single place selling 3d printed conversion kits in the EU as far as I can tell, and for far more than the equivalent in the US.

Dammit didn’t see that charge ! Aliexpress it is !

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
I’m so happy with my quest, played alyx fine even though I got an old rear end computer with an average Gfx card (except I got gently caress all space, gently caress tiny London flats) and my god no one told me how amazing google earth is !

House of dying sun was a cool surprise since didn’t know it had vr till I loaded up steam vr

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So I got about £70 of various cases/face mask/new head strap for the quest in a ali express basket but wondering if I should just chill the gently caress out til I get the lenses installed since they’ll make the biggest difference?

Also robo recall looks fun, is it worth £22?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So this happened

I did use the glasses spacer but guess my big rear end lenses were too much. Now I'm not going to use them again til the lens inserts arrive but has anyone tried to repair scratches? Should I just accept a bit of fuzziness and move on? (Bet it happened during that flashlight bit in Alyx)

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
I tried ALVR and it's was pretty laggy, should I expect much change using virtual desktop or is it the problem more from the network setup?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Gort posted:

You can try Virtual Desktop and refund it before 14 days and two hours of use if it turns out to be bad.

I found VD to be much better than ALVR from a usability perspective, but had no lag problems with either method, for what that's worth.

Can I ask what steps you got no lag ? I’m using the router that came with my internet but it definitely connects 5ghz as the router shows the oculus was on the 5ghz network and the pc was directly plugged into the router and all in the same room. Even with what I saw as perfect setup it wasn’t just meh it was incredibly laggy. Is it the router?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Might be better off asking in the networking thread but I'm so close to getting wireless VR to work its killing me!

I got virtual desktop and following a great youtube posted a while back i've nearly got it perfect EXCEPT when i ping my headset i get a perfect 1ms ping apart from a peak every 5 pings. a perfect pattern! but this obvs makes it unusable, i tried restarting and picking a better wifi channel but cant figure it out! any ideas?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Bhodi posted:

be really careful with this, i scratched my lenses as well after playing with glasses like twice. I want max FOV so I put the headset as close to my face as possible. Fortunately that plastic scratch remover stuff worked perfectly and now I only wear it while wearing contacts.

I got some nasty scuffs from my glasses, what did you use to repair the lenses?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Vox Machinae is still listed as early access on oculus store which is just :wtc:

https://www.amazon.com/Polywatch-Plastic-Lens-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0014R9V9O
I think how it works is the compound has the same refractive index as the plastic lenses so when you buff it in it just fills in the gaps. Wipe the lenses down real good first.

Im bit scared I’m gonna make it worse, this easy enough to use ?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
im probably being thick but when i plug my quest into my PC it doesn't give me the transfer files dialouge anymore, its def turned on in the dev settings but i cant get the quest to pop up to transfer files anymore. I didn't know if a recent update got rid of this since i notice now there is a button for the link?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I noticed the same. I guess it remembers the last time it asked you? if I go to Sidequest, the Explorer window pop up.

yeah of course, didn't think to look when sidequest was on, thanks!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
I was wondering about these two different walking dead games, i was confused the new one is cheaper? Are they any good or just the same games? I saw some youtube and it looked kinda tactile and fun with the backpack and stuff, any good place for reviews?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Now I'm probably being dumb but when I play story mode in squadrons everything works smooth til after a mission or two when I get crazy screen door if I move my head even though the game seems to be running smooth (as I type that it sounds dumb) if I then restart it's smooth again. I'm hoping it's a software issue, I disabled the steam overlay and made sure I'm playing in borderless, is there anything that it could be I should I just try lowering settings?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Is there a good way to benchmark your computer while running VR? I saw that fpsVR program but it doesn't work with Oculus and its bugging me why my i5 8400 with rtx 2060 has such problems with VR sometimes, I'm trying to work out if I just need a new CPU or if the GPU is the bottleneck.

sidenote - what's the best thing to look for in CPUs that run VR well? is it lots of threads? or high single thread performance?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Which version of project cars are you talking about ? I saw project cars 3 had pretty bad reviews so wasn’t sure what’s best for vr?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Have you tried powerline stuff?
I use these with good success, streaming my PC to a TV three floors down works well etc
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

I am a fan, they solve a lot of my issues for loads of things

What sort of speed you getting through power line?

VD moans it doesn’t have gigabit connection with the admittedly very old power line I have but I’m not sure how much I need to stream VR and how much people have squeezed out of powerline and if I should buy a newer gigabit one.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Goodguy3 posted:

Also

God drat it I spent so much fuckin' time going in circles in that vent area because I didn't realise I could break that glass with the little shock baton :psyduck:

This! I was about to come on here and complain this is some boring poo poo until I realised this. Game is fun though getting used to continuous moving got me feeling sick yesterday. The game is like Pixar does half life 1 so far.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So I was messing about with the new VD stats counter and I couldn't work out how to turn of 'extra latency' since I feel I don't want this? I'm sure I'm being thick but I can't see a extra latency mode button

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yeah, and by default it's off. It basically introduces some extra latency to give the decoder and network time. Basically its a way to see if consistent latency is better than lower but inconsistent. I think for most people/games its better to just have lower but it's worth experimenting with.

not sure if i'm being thick but on mine below sliced encoding it just says about video buffering and turning that on or off doesn't seem to change the yes/no on the high latency bit in the stats overlay, its really bugging me as if there is some setting on which is increasing latency obviously want that bad boy off.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

What version are you on? You'd patched it with sidequest?

Should look like that.

Yeah, same here. I just do the fan thing now all the time. Seems to be the best trick.

argh i dont have that!

I just tried going to sidequest and installing the patch and no change so i deleted the app and re-installed the sidequest patch and still no luck!

It says im on version 1.18 (sideloaded) what should i be on? not sure what im doing wrong!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

Wait, are you using the wired or the wirelss version? Are you installing from the Quest store? Because there's a difference between the two.

I got the one off the quest store then did the side quest patch, that’s the right way ... right ?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

Quest store, yeah. You got it from your Quest itself? Maybe uninstall and redo the whole thing, I have no idea how you're missing menus like that. Maybe take a screenshot of what the whole screen looks like and share it here?

right here's some screengrabs, this is off a fresh install and patch, then a restart then patched again just in case!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

Ah ha! You're on a Quest 1! That's my bad, I'm assuming there are probably some options missing for that. I don't have any experience using VD with a Quest 1.

oh maybe it's a quest 2 interface thing? that seems weird it's always on with quest 1 though

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So i've got flight sim on the xbox subscription thingy and I can use it with my oculus fine with link but then i was gonna try through virtual desktop but realised I'd need to launch it from VR desktop.

Is there anyway to do this? can i make it something that launches from steam VR maybe? any idea/tips?

Thanks

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

From VD official notes:

Additional Notes
You can launch games that aren't part of your Oculus or Steam library by right-clicking the Streamer icon in the system tray, selecting "Launch Game..." and locating the executable. Alternatively, you can inject games through a batch file (.bat) by using: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[ExecutablePath]"

However, given that FS is surely a UWP, I'm not sure if it will work?

thank you for showing me that but sadly it doesn't work, i tried adding it to steam too and it just says this executable cannot be opened by the system or something.

ah well i'll try cable again just got some weird black box thing last time

if anyone figures it out dont be shy!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So has anyone tried that tribe DJ software? I like the idea of trying to DJ without buying loads of equipment or being seen, etc but not sure if it's just a gimmick?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

playground tough posted:

The ASUS router everyone is using is sold out everywhere so I ordered the TP-Link AX21 and will be returning the AX10.

The AX21 is supposed to have a better processor and was the same price since it's on sale right now at amazon. I'll report on how this one performs when I get it

Was gonna say I just got an ax10 to use as a ap point for my quest and does Alyx flawlessly but sounds like you need stuff for multiple headsets

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
I downloaded the 100gb for dirt rally, had one game then felt so sick I was sweating. I have to try it again but I'm genuinely a bit scared. Think I need to get the fan out again.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Is there a good way to test your quest 2 pupil distance? I've tried all the settings and none of them look particular blurry, I dunno if my glaucoma or something makes it weird or something but I remember the quest 1 had a calibration thing with nice straight lines so can really see a difference

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
So just came off a game of bridge commander with some mates and I have questions.

1 - the mic volume of the quest 2 while running virtual desktop while playing bridge commander through steam vr (phew) was pretty quiet, in the end had to put on my other mic. The weird thing is the quest microphone is fine in discord.

2 - I tried link cable and the mic just didn't work at all, went into whiskey sounds settings and it definitely was selected so not sure what happened there.

Any tips/ideas to sort my mic woes? Wish I'd just got bridge commander in oculus now ..

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
I'm surprised or ignorant to a cod like game in vr, playing Pavlov gun game with bots was really fun and seems not to far off a bit of a cod like single player experience

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

If a TDM with bots seems similar to you to a set piece-driven single player campaign I'm not sure what to say...

I was shocked that a game had got a solid gun game sorted but not done a single player experience with it. I just wasn't expecting to like any FPS style VR game but Pavlov was a shock to me

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
I know someone else said medal of honour has improved since its release so I was thinking of getting it. I've got a quest 2 and was wondering if it's better to buy it on oculus store or on Steam? or does it not really matter.

I'll def be playing this on VD if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Yeah I just checked in on the vapelifeyo guy and he's grinding for XP rushing through war-mode lobbies calling people bitches for playing the game mode the way it's meant to be played and he is deriding any new players getting wet with the game because they're impeding his progression towards a gold skin for something?

So far not a very appealing streamer

Yeah I watched his stream for a few minutes and if he is the face of the game I'd hope the rest of the body is in much better shape