Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RandomBlue posted:

The DAS fits fine for me and I have an 8.5 helmet size. It's a bit more of a pain to remove than the stock strap but I think it's a little larger as well.

Curious. What snaps do you use on a snap back hat? I'm on the last dot, or second to last dot, depending on brand.

Big heads man. Big heads. :-\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its a rail shooter. Which is really cool, I'm all over that idea, VR rail shooters. I'm also working on a light gun vr game but I was planning on having it be mostly in place with teleportation because I didn't want to deal with locomotion sickness issues.

Having the game constantly moving at a slow pace is an interesting approach! Its like you play the game standing on one of those airport walkways. Clever! I definitely need to get this and try it out.
Also found the devs for pistol whip randomly on twitter last week and they seem pretty chill.

I was thinking about having like, a section where you're riding on a boat, so that way you get moved around but it still feels comfortable. But this is much smarter and more complicated, lets you do melee attacks and stuff too.

The devs are awesome. Seriously.

You also don't feel like you're moving at all. I legit didn't notice it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, so it’s a rail shooter? Does it feel like a light gun game? Forced movement plus first person shooting really sounds like a light gun game and if so I’m buying it because I love me some light gun games

LIGHT GUN GAMES!!!

Its a gallery shooter, set to a soundtrack.

Its like time crisis without a pedal to duck/reload. you just, duck. and reload... lol

Can't wait to push out more videos so people can see more. But yeah. Light gun game for sure.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OK, thats good because motion when you don't request it is usually barf city

Yeah I mean I have pretty solid VR legs in general, But poorly done stuff like that can still tilt me hard. I've put, too many hours into this game already and I've had zero issues. You honestly can walk around and move with the level going and not feel odd about it. They did a really amazing job there.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Do what, now?

I feel like I remember it slightly works like raptor labs pro loco just, not as good.

Think of it as grabbing the world and pulling yourself through it. Or osmething

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Are they going to have a very robust level creation tool/mode that comes with the game? I can't imagine any third party tool would be up to the job.

They have solutions in mind after launch.

Official word atm.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Welp. Heres a full play through of DEATH from Pistol Whip. (NORMAL difficulty)

You'll see more videos pop up today from a few of us folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfheGZ3-PcE

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Onward (realisticish military shooter) is having a free weekend on Steam, and is half-price. Apparently they've improved the AI for the co-op/solo modes. I haven't messed with it since getting the Index since my gunstock was made for the Rift, but it was a fun game.

Games actually good.

Def check it out. Also which gunstock? Most companies have made thingies for the index.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Onward is pretty fun and probably in my top hours played. I like the realistic gun handling and the presence of an active and pretty nontoxic PVE mode.

How does the gunstock work? I've never had a problem just pantomiming without something to shoulder and it seems like it would get in the way when you're doing non-rifle stuff.

Most you can drop in and out of for pistols and stuff. I personally don't enjoy mine (either actually have both mamuts), and its nto the product itself. I just dont like fiddling with things in VR like that. I end up never dropping back into it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I ran into one of EbolaIvory's videos on Youtube. Song was called Hoohah. I thought it looked doable. I downloaded it. I concluded "I guess not".

Such a kick rear end map! Circus is a little bit easier and just as bop

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Kinda whack that you can't play Steam VR games, I have a few like Stand Out that I don't also have in the Rift store. I wonder if anyone will make a workaround. Maybe a sideloaded build of Virtual Desktop or ALVR could leverage the Oculus Link instead of Wifi?

Man if only someone said "Buying a Quest isnt a replacement for a desktop vr" in this thread.

I wont be shocked if openVR titles don't run. Which is the big concern tbh. But whatever. Its not a replacement desktop headset.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mashed_penguin posted:

Press X to doubt.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/402330/Press_X_to_Not_Die/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

I am doing about one bout a day now and I can definitely feel it in my back and shoulders still

I got it the week it came out and then had to go crawl around on my boat and replace some stuff and just gave up, because TotF just completely wrecked my muscles and I was almost too stiff to drive over there. A week later I can still feel it the next day after my practice bout

I had my very foofy lovey type wife try out TotF, at first she was like, "I don't LIKE vr stuff, ugh" but as soon as the match started, she started throwing punches and halfway through round 3 she got a TKO against the guy on medium, by the end of the first round she was out for blood. I was really impressed how quickly she picked it up and actually really enjoyed it

TL;DR for $9.99 everyone should have Thrill of the Fight to show off to people when they're done with Beat Saber

Also the graphics for TotF are way better than Beat Saber

Thrill is the kind of game you put someone into that says "VR ISNT ANY DIFFERENT THAN SITTING IN A CHAIR".

Games like that make babies out of people real fast.
The text messages the next day are awesome. "I CANT MOVE YOU rear end in a top hat"

Yeah. Well VR is just chair games right?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh, I'm getting real sick of this happening every other time I try to play games in VR

Steam acts like everything is cool and good

boot into VR... hm, home is real slow and unresponsive, why is this?

Restart steam.... "Steam is updating"

Like, if you absolutely have to update, just loving update before booting into vr! Alternatively, fix your poo poo so that it works even if you don't have the absolute latest version updated right away.

Even after all the improvements to software you still have to assume that it may take 10-20 minutes before you can actually enjoy VR on any given day. Gotta make sure not to put the headset on until its already working, can't assume that it will work or you'll be sick of wearing it by the time it finally boots.

I swear steam crashes itself to force updates as well. Like, Just say "hey we have to update now please". I've never had a crash, that didnt result in an update.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

The "steam is updating" window shows up any time steam didn't exit 100% cleanly (a lot of the time, lol), as it uses the same window for just verifying files too, for some reason.

How bout when it shows patch versions and what’s new pages?

That’s what I’m saying. Steamvr is the worst about it tho

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Harminoff posted:

Are you on beta branch?

I hop on and off depending on whats broken for LIV and such.

Currently running on non beta steamVR and non beta steam.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

theBeaz posted:

So based on a couple videos I found online, I modded my Rift S facemask to have soft leather instead of foam. The only folks I could find online that did the same thing used VRCover leather pads, but I used some cheaper (but seems to be nice quality) Vive pads off of Amazon.

I’m happy to share some screenshots and URLs if anyone wants to do the same thing.

It’s a nice improvement (no squishy/sweaty foam), comfortable, easy to clean, and most importantly it was super easy to do.

I always used the cheap amazon vive ones on my official rift vrcover velcro thing. They were just way more comfy.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

You could always use the argument, "well, I could just a get a real motorcycle instead..."

"You're right honey. I can keep a motorcycle in the garage easier."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of, at some point I'm planning a weekend trip to The Cities to do the Star Wars experience at The VOID with some friends. Anyone been who can say if it's worth it?

Voids cool.

No idea that exp, but the void itself is cool.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

Well, the gain would be the revenue

Like, obviously it's better for players if they keep getting constant updates for a game they already own without paying

You already have enough of a time getting people with the same game in vr together to play as is. Could you imagine 4 friends with piece meal dlc? Yeah oof.

(I realize h3 isn’t mp, just saying, could you imagine lol)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sounds like you need to grab the boosters. I have similar issues with the index controllers and as soon as I get this printer rolling I think thats going to be my saving grace. I really really miss my touch controllers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hmm I guess I haven’t played the games that do it or bought the textbook that explains the invisible hand of video games.

I know your time is precious and wasted on explanations in light of such a huge ignorant and arrogant mood

Considering how scattered MP in general is (Looking at you survios and your bullshit not crossplay crossplay crap), having a game with scattered DLC isnt really unheard of. Stuff like payday 2 was flat games that learned, most VR stuff isnt by flat studios with tons of game exp.

Guess we'll see!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

PISTOL WHIP RELEASE TOMORROW

Its so goooooooood

Also we'll be giving away copies in altspace and during the tourney. So def look into that. :)

https://twitter.com/VRespawn/status/1191769810318831623?s=20

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Origami Dali posted:

Pistol Whip comes out tomorrow and they still haven't announced the price, so I'm assuming that's because it's going to be overpriced as hell.

Nah. Devs are awesome.

Why is everyone so hung up on price anyways? I'm laughing my rear end off at everyone freaking out about knowing how much its going to cost.

Folks. Its a VR game from an indie dev. Calm down.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Origami Dali posted:

Afaik, I'm the only person who's mentioned it, so ????

Nah in general. The discord, reddit, twitter. People in general are making a stink about the price not being shown.

Just funny is all.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Its a gallery shooter, set to a soundtrack.

Its dope af. Not like we've not been saying this for a week :P

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

Ars Technica are somewhat mixed on it but still come down on the side of recommending it in the end.

This right here seals it, Dudes a dope.

quote:

Unfortunately, in my week of pre-release testing, I've struggled to match my shooting rhythm with any of the ten included songs on both a Valve Index and an Oculus Quest. I can't put my finger on what's wrong with my timing.

If you can't figure it out, you're tone deaf.

And they go on about "WHY ARE WE HERE?!"

Uh. Its movie posters you idiot. Maybe its "movie scenes"? Ya know, Follow the art direction bud.

Sorry but this whole "article" has tons of garbage in it that feels really whine city. Its not perfect, without a doubt. But come on. Cant figure out the beat of a song? really?

EDIT: Booted up the quest version for shits. Frame Rate seemed ok to me? The gun customization not saving IS a bug fwiw. Storage something. Patch coming.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 7, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

Can confirm, Pistol Whip whips.

Definitely feels a bit like both Superhot and Beat Saber despite playing nothing like either. Its a half decent workout with all the ducking and weaving too.

edit: Pretty sure the game does rank you at the end of each level, unless there's another explanation as to why my score counter always has a C at the end?

The C is your rank

Top #1s have been S or w/e

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

thought so, cool.

I read the Ars Technica article and I can't speak to the technical issues myself, works faultlessly for me on Rift S, running the Steam version, steam VR actually booted for the first ever time so I had two virtual living rooms going on in the background even. I do agree with some points though, I played through the first few stages on Easy and I had no Idea there was even a timing element to the gameplay at all (hence the C ranks lol). That could do with some tutorializing at the very least.

Its definitely unfair to describe the game as 'early access' though, its pretty standard content wise for an indie VR title,post release content really only sweetens the deal for me.

Shoot to the literal beat of 1/8th notes. (Pretty sure its 1/8ths atm).

Thats it. Keep to the beat. Helps knowing the songs, which is what is probably throwing a lot of people off.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

its not a case of being thrown off its a case of literally not being aware I should be timing my shots at all. I was having the time of my life doing John Wick poo poo without worrying about the score anyway so I don't think its exactly a fatal flaw.

Once you're no longer diving for your life every moment, you'll start dancing around and shooting to the beat. I promise. <3

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rafikki posted:

Has anyone picked it up on Quest yet? How's the performance?

EbolaIvory posted:

EDIT: Booted up the quest version for shits. Frame Rate seemed ok to me? The gun customization not saving IS a bug fwiw. Storage something. Patch coming.

Its not the PCVR you'd be used to if you played both, But if you're a full time quest user, its fine.

Theres def a few spots where things "dipped" but it was never where I was disturbed playing, nor was it bad enough to miss a shot, or get hit while playing.

So, Pretty good. Plays as well as other crap does to me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Alright I'll be the idiot. I cannot get pistol whip to like lock in. I play beatsaber on expert+, and I am pretty good at it and even love it. But I for the life of me cannot get into the "beat" of pistol whip. Right now I'm just playing it as a john wick shooter but the rhythm aspect just isn't clicking with me. Am I the idiot reviewer of the last page?

Listen to the music outside of the game, or put it on no fail and crank up the volume.

When I first started playing, I had the same issue. It wasn't until I could chill through a level without thinking that I "got it" and all the bang bang shoot on time poo poo made sense.

Don't think so hard about it and just listen to the perfect murder music. Then start lining up shots with the 1/8th notes when you get a feel for the songs.

https://bsaber.com/pistol-whip-scoring-guide/

:)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
PSA headshots don’t matter for score on pw.

Just aim center mass

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

I need the DMCV soundtrack in pistol whip asap

Mute game music.
Play Soundtrack
Shoot dudes to soundtrack
Profit?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

It's really not at all going to be the same, the levels are pretty intricately crafted to specifically fit the music.

No like. I'm telling people to do it.
DEVS first thing to me when we were talking stuff before launch was "Hey, just mute the game, slam in some music, itll work, it wont be perfect but you'll be shocked how much lines up".

They are right. If the music you listen to isn't on some weird timing. Folks, Everythings to 1/8th noes.

Again it aint perfect. But its something for now if you're REALLY bored of the OST already.

Tho, I've done 30+ runs of death and still pop that song on google music regularly. >_>

Zaphod42 posted:

If you BPM match it first like a DJ maybe

How about you try it a bit first instead of just yammering?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

Are you guys playing with Aim Assist on? because... I certainly am.

Most people are initially. Deadeye is hardcore AF.

I'm a big baby and will probably roll aim assist for a while. Deadeye is 100% too much for my rear end while learning all the spawns and stuff.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

It's the equivalent of watching wizard of oz listening to dark side of the moon, you've got to trick yourself into thinking it works. The pacing of the levels are specifically suited to the songs, the songs don't keep the same intensity the whole way through and neither do the levels. Not to mention the visual pulses of the level that are also timed up to the song. And for me anyway, most of the fun is finding the most efficient way to shoot dudes on-beat as soon as they appear, and those appearances are, again, specifically matched to the song that's playing.

Oh I'm not saying its perfect. Not even slightly. But the fact is, its something to do, it works, and the games not even 2 days old and people are whining about content. Its free easy content if you're really that bored suddenly and its FUN.

Honestly drives me nuts that people are whining so hard about customs already. Get the gently caress over it folks, the games a day old.

Tip posted:

Being 1/8 notes is only like half the equation, it's more about matching BPMs. Which, actually, that would be a really simple thing they could implement. Let you play any level with a custom song, but you enter the BPM of the song (or have auto analysis to guess the BPM) and then just adjust the timing of events to the BPM.

Aye, If you pick some double bass drum death metal its probably gonna be weird. Lets be real.
IF you're not being a doofus with music selection though, Should still be a drat good time.

Again this is about having more fun with the current game. Stop trying to argue away solutions.

ITS ALSO A BRAND NEW GAME UNNGNGGGGG

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

Do I have to shoot on the specific notes of the song or can I just be in time?

Just be in time.

Aim center mass. Accuracy is only measured by hitting the target, not where you shoot it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah lots of people seem to be waiting for music notes to shoot, and that makes sense, but nah as long as you're on-beat you're free to shoot and get max points.

I wonder if it'd be nice to have the gun make more musical sounds, like in Rez?

Its like you're adding your own track to the song, not matching an existing one. The badguys though do match the song notes.

Theres gun sound effects, someones already modded a skin into the game. So Give it a week or two before custom sounds are in?

Honestly, The only thing NOT in the menu right now that would have to be UI edited to add is custom scenes. Gun customization, modifiers, all thats already in.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Again, saying it'd be cool to add a thing is not a criticism that the thing is not already added. You seem a bit weirdly possessive of this game. This is a thread for discussion. There's no rush implied by my post, no urgency, its just a thought. I even said "maybe" because its entirely possible it wouldn't actually improve things.

Rest assured I'm real into it :v:

No I was saying its already in game, give it a week and someone will probably have more modded in.

Was my post not clear there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NoneMoreNegative posted:

From a year-2000 pitch for a never-produced cartoon, they didn't go so far off the mark if you look at Rec Room etc :) Someone should build up a replica of the .netRave room there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68qogB30jw

edit: Think there's any chance of the Pistol Whip devs putting a demo with a single song out not the game is live? It sounds fun but I'd love to try it first and refunding always seems like a bit of a kick in the nuts to the developers.

Probably at some point. But id gather the devs would rather you refund it and give it a fair shot, than ignore it.

I doubt you'll refund it. But its possible. I can see not actually enjoying it if you're not into the shooty bits.