Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

At 6'3" I just take a knee every time I enter a firefight, tired of my giant bulbous head sticking out of all the cover.

Edit: Make sure your floor height is set correctly so that touching the ground is really touching the ground. Mine was off by an inch or two and fixing it changed the game from "duck for every doorway" to "crouching sections are somewhat annoying"

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm confused. You can set the controls to allow for hybrid mode so you can click a button to crouch. Does that not work?

My immersion!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Valve said in a video about Alyx locomotion that they didn’t do any scaling for height because in play testing they found people were the most comfortable at their natural height and that the world felt scaled correctly because desks, doors, ceilings were all where they expected them to be in real life.

Yeah, it worked out great once I got the ground calibrated right, I just take a knee to sort of simulate the crouch walk that my creaky fat rear end can't do. Ducking under pipes and stuff in an industrial setting is second nature, it was just obnoxious hitting my head on every doorway, which has happened, particularly in older buildings, but doesn't happen often.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I just went from a first gen Rift to an Index. I got pretty good at setting up the rift cameras for room scale but I have no idea of the dos and don'ts of lighthouse-based systems. For example, I had no idea they were wireless until I couldn't find cables in the box. I have a fairly large play area, free of obstructions but when I set up the lighthouses like made sense to me I got terrible tracking issues. Does anyone have a link to a really good roomscale setup guide for two lighthouses?

What I really miss is the way the Rift software would show you an overhead view of your play area with the cones of perception for the cameras and where they did and didn't overlap. Is there some way to visualize lighthouse coverage similarly?

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 27, 2020

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

SirViver posted:

Tracking issues are almost always caused by reflective surfaces in your play area, e.g. windows, picture frames, etc. Unless you have a camera with IR mode there's unfortunately not really a good way to "debug" this issue other than by trial and error, though.

This makes a lot of sense, we have a big mirror in the living room. I'll try draping a cloth over it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Is there a good fan mod for the Index frunk that is similar in quality to that kickstarter that isn't selling anymore? I am tired of VR face.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My dream setup that I'm looking for when the housing market collapses soon is a 2 bedroom house where I can set up the larger bedroom with a Murphy bed and all my computer gaming and hobby project stuff, then have a tech-free bedroom and a non-nerdy living room.

I figure that's the best of both worlds as you get a big dedicated gaming space for VR, guests get a real bed rather than an air mattress or a pull out couch.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I wish there were more ports like Hellblade. Just take a regular gamepad-centric game and give me an optional VR mode that adds depth. Not everything needs to be a fully-immersive experience. I really enjoyed playing Hellblade from the shrunk-down God perspective mode.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I just moved, and I actually have the 13.5'x13.5' maximum usable area for my index. What is a good game that actually encourages moving around on foot rather than using controls?

Edit: additionally, is there any way to save multiple boundary settings so I can have a tighter set of boundaries when I can't be assed to move my exercise bike and some other stuff?

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, those looks great! Tea for God looks like it would be extra amazing with a quest and a massive outdoor play area.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I have a 13x13 play area on a vinyl floor, and I got a 7x7 thick shag rug. I'm trying to train myself to play some games without the guardian, using the space of the rug as sort of floor braille.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

So I just got a quest 2 and I'm immediately in love.

Since the battery strap and case bundle is unobtanium, is there any specific third party set that is as good or better?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

It's also not like nobody else is going to release an untethered VR headset. By retaining ownership of his code he can port VD to whatever else comes out.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I have the frankenquest and while I have nothing to compare it to it is very comfortable. My only complaint is that the headphones are a little hard to keep on my ears and they tend to spring off of my bulbous head.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Carmack hints a new future feature: boosted clocks during initial load. From his review here
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/carmacks-app-reviews-racket-nx/

Didn't they do this on the Switch?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

It doesn't even have the good part of Google glass, the HUD.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I really wish google glass hadn't cratered. I would have happily bought one with a physical camera shutter or even no camera at all. I just wanted a cyberpunk HUD.

Imagine where AR technology would be now with years of development and hardware improvements.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, that's what I heard. I just think if it hadn't been abandoned the tech might have become a lot better.

Maybe not AR as in a tracked extra layer on real life but context sensitive information popping up based on your location or what you are looking at. A combination of QR style codes and wireless location tagging.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

I wish I had a room big enough for this game.

If you aren't worried about people laughing at you I have had good luck playing outside around dusk or in the early morning. If you have a well lit back yard you can even do it at night.

Daytime sunlight fucks with the IR sensors but as long as the sun itself isn't in direct line of sight it works.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I had a problem with stick direction on the index. It was absolutely infuriating until I found the recalibration setting. It might have to do with hand size and shape and where the controller sits comfortably for you.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I deleted my Facebook years ago when they did something particularly horrible. When I got my Quest 2 I tried to go slinking back to my old account but they wouldn't let me. Strangely enough it was because they thought my name was fake. I have a last name that gets a lot of reactions from people, and in between my first and second account creations it was the title of a popular TV show.

Facebook happily took a fake last name though, and they haven't touched my account since.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks for the info! Yeah, we're already rocking 5ghz at home, so we should be all set.

:toot:

It's actually worth it to get a second router set up in bridge mode wired into the network in the room you will be gaming. Latency is king and the fewer obstructions and devices connected the better.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If you are going to use wabbajack do yourself a favor and pay for the Nexus premium or whatever it is for a month. Otherwise you will be sitting there clicking "OK" forever.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

How long does it take to get the $60 credit?

I factory reset my quest 2, clicked on a referral link from this thread, then reconnected to it.

Is there a step I missed?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I took the thread's advice and got one of the harbor freight cases and it works great. Frankenquest, controllers, 20k mA hour battery pack, charger, cable, and two extra facial interfaces of different sizes all in one case.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I can't wait for Google to release it, then abandon it three months later for whatever new shiny thing distracts them.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Are there any good VR design tools? I'm not looking for professional grade, just something to get a house design out of my head and into a visible space.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

This is incredibly niche but does anyone know if the Steam Deck will do PCVR?

It's just a handheld PC with better than average specs.

I wonder what kind of Frankenstein setup we'll see.

The steam deck is still outclassed by just about any desktop system with a dedicated GPU from the past 5 years. It is able to play modern games by targeting 30fps on low-medium settings at a resolution lower than any modern monitor.

Rendering two fields of view at 90fps while calculating physics is going to be a hell of an ask for that level of hardware.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I was able to mount them with the included mounts, but with the large picture hanging command strips (renting life)

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

First of May posted:

All I want is a fully wireless PC headset, with no perceptible pixels or screen door, 200+ degree FOV, OLED displays, that weighs less than 250 grams. Is that too much to ask!??

I mean, the ideal vr headset we could build today would have a lightweight headset with just the displays and tracking cameras going to a sturdy cable that went down your back to a fanny pack with a big battery and the "brains". A bonus would be it could independently track head and hip angle for easy locomotion while looking in different directions.

It would never sell because it would look dorky as gently caress, but Apple is kind of on the right track.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

A new steam controller with the full compliment of buttons from the deck would make sense. Maybe even bundled with a dock

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Incremental upgrades sort of go against the premise of the Steam Deck. It's a consolized PC with identical specs apart from storage across its whole range. They've spent a ton of time and money building out the "great on deck" ecosystem and to stratify it this early would kill a ton of its momentum.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

It won't melt the cameras. The melting problem is if you leave the lenses facing the sun it can burn the displays.

With my quest 2 I found it wouldn't track properly in direct sunlight but under shade or in the late afternoon it worked okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I would like an external module not only for reducing the weight of the headset but for hip position tracking. Knowing the position of your hips relative to your head would be great for making stick locomotion more natural.