Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hi VR thread, maybe you can offer me some advice. I have an Odyssey+ (hey, it was cheap) that I've been exploring the last couple weekends. Last weekend it was all working, then I stupidly followed SteamVR's advice to update my graphics drivers which broke everything, then I refreshed my Windows installation and got things mostly working again over the last few days.

But today I was trying to get back in to Boneworks, and while it worked before, now when I go into the main game the headset display just shuts off after ten or twenty seconds. I still get audio and the tracking is working, because the computer screen still shows my mirrored display as if it's working fine. I haven't found much help online except for suggestions it's a cabling/seating connection issue, but I don't *think* that's the case because as far as I can tell the display immediately works fine again switching back to the WMR portal, and I've been screwing around with other SteamVR stuff without that happening. I can also run around in the Boneworks intro room without that happening. Anyone seen anything similar, in that game specifically, or as a more general issue that might crop up elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

shrach posted:

Is it just Boneworks? This seems to be a pretty common issue on r/windowsmr. I guess make sure you are on the beta branches of both SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR.

I will take a look on there, I didn't think to look for that subreddit after my searches found boneworks and more general steamvr stuff.

Penpal posted:

I hate to say it but that's what was happening to my HP WMR headset before I had it replaced. It worked fine for a month and then would stop functioning after a minute of being plugged in and working normally. Troubleshooting it drove me nuts before I just went back to the store and swapped it out (was in the month return period)

Ugh, I sure hope not. I've only seen it on that one specific game so far, so I'm really hoping it's not on the hardware end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gonna build a ramsomware virus that replaces your Margot Robbie or anime waifu with Quark till you send me some bit coins.

Pros: I would actively seek this out
Cons: I would not attempt to pay to remove it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ultrawings is real fun. Basically Pilotwings in VR

That one looks awesome, I got worried about how well it'd run with a larger game world though so I wish there was a demo (a common theme as I'm still feeling out VR games).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a hell of a thing when the alien guts you from behind in 2D, in VR that must be......quite something :gonk:

I wonder if there's been much implementation of disorienting/"glitchy" stuff as a failure state in these games. I know the wonkiness with my display/tracking when my underpowered computer is struggling on load screens is more disorienting than anything I've seen in a games themselves so far.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

KakerMix posted:

For me its the Combine specifically. The lady voice announcements, the chatter between the troops, the way they flatline when they die. Just good poo poo.

After just replaying the first one via its Black Mesa remake, everything about the Combine just completely blows it away in terms of ambiance and a more compelling threat, and I can't wait to see that in a (hopefully) more immersive setting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Man what was Valve thinking automatically turning on their weird supersampling algorithm in the latest SteamVR update? Made all my games look like a blurry mess until I tracked it down in the advanced settings.

I really want to believe they were fooled by their own naming convention into thinking it was a good option that would make things look better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shine posted:

English is inpossible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Someday we will have the technology to use images as thread titles

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I am pro-arms, but mainly for comedy reasons. I don't remember ever seeing them work well in something that's supposed to be serious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been setting up an upgraded computer this weekend. It definitely runs the Windows VR stuff way more smoothly but man, it still feels like it's just multiple tiers of rickety software getting in the way to set it up or do anything more (e.g. SteamVR). Even just getting Windows to consistently accept the controllers was a pain, and now SteamVR is just broken for some reason. At least I've spent enough time playing with computers to know how to start looking for solutions, but I feel like things are gonna have to get way more streamlined before I'd ever recommend it to folks who just want a simple fun time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*Finally* got SteamVR back working again. I worked through a bunch of possible conflicts and drive issues, in the end it turned out to be the specific Steam WMR download being set to use the most recent beta release, seeing it to the last known good release fixed it. I sure don't remember choosing that as the default option, and if I ever did on a previous install I'm not sure why it would carry through to this one, when so many other options reset.

Oh well. At least I'm finally confident enough to pick up HL:Alyx and expect it to work :unsmith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

(yes even WMR if you are extremely cursed)

:smith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I went back to play around in the Boneworks intro room after learning a bunch more movement mechanics in the later rooms, and I really want to know what I look like Octodadding my way up the walls and pipes. That's gotta be some :stonklol: material.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I wish Beat Saber had a general demo. Everybody loves it but $30 is pretty steep to gamble when I'm lukewarm on regular rhythm games even if it might win me over in VR.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I was under the impression that with Steam's refund policy, every game is a full demo for some number of hours.

Somehow I always completely forget about that despite having used it once :tipshat:

Turin Turambar posted:

My Quest had one...

I saw that and assumed it was only supported for Quests, which I don't have (not that it matters given the reminder about refunds)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I get severe vertigo in high places in real life, but figured I'd be fine in that Spider-Man experience. Haha, NO. Just zipping 20 feet up a wall made my knees weak. About two seconds after running off the top of a skyscraper it felt like my body had been shot out of a trebuchet.

In other words, it was great. VR's ability to genuinely make you feel like you're somewhere else is so strong, and it's not something that comes across in most coverage.

:aaa:
I somehow missed that was a thing. Instantly adding.
I liked the moment in Boneworks that it introduces climbing up a rope and how weird it feels to fall 30 feet or so if you gently caress up, I would be all over the Spidey experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I tried that Spider-Man experience, it's basic and a bit janky, but since it's free I'd recommend it. On the plus side, it does give you some feeling of height and flying around. The controls are the downside, by default I started with snap turns, which just did not work at all for me in a game about smooth movement. And I couldn't figure out a way to adjust them without quitting a scenario. Free turn is better but still janky because both sticks do turn *and* movement so you go drunkenly wandering off to the side a lot by mistake. Also "back" is mapped to 180 quick turn so I spent a lot of time disoriented when I wanted to back away from something and just turned completely around. There's probably ways to adjust some of that in the menus, but I'd definitely want more refinement from a real game - that said, it's basically a fun free demo that points towards a pretty phenomenal full game that would fit really well with the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Has anyone invented a good VR keyboard solution that isn’t “hunt and pec fisticuff lasers at a panel 3 feet away?”

I have no idea what a good solution would look like, but I know there are some smart people out there and was curious if anything workable had climbed out of the swamp yet.

I propose we look to the past and have a cool integrated slide keyboard like my last pre-smartphone :colbert: