Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I realize that the Index is like 200 weeks out for shipping but from what I can tell it really is the best of the best for VR.

The question I have though (which I guess who can really say) is there anything better coming out in the near future?

I know that the Quest is the cheapest point of entry but I just don't know...

Well gently caress I just wrote all that and now I'm leaning towards the Quest since I can actually get it now and it is a lot cheaper.

Why is VR so hard?!

Really I want to use the headset for flight sims (elite and MS flight sim).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm gonna have to muddy the waters and say you might want to hold onto your money for the HP Reverb G2 if you're looking to use it for flight sims.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If you're looking at it for flight sims, but also want to try room scale, I'd really look at the Rift S (or maybe Reverb when it comes out).

The reduced screen door effect compared to the Quest can really make the difference in being able to actually read cockpit displays and whatnot.

Plus like while the Index is great and all being forced to use Lighthouses can be a real pain in the rear end depending on how much space you have in your home and/or if you've got a live-in partner or roommate, how understanding they are if you take over an entire room for VR. Inside out tracking lets you easily do VR in more than one room. Like I use my Rift S for Elite Dangerous but if my roommate is out and I want to play some H3VR I can just move everything to the living room and not have to like, remount lighthouses somehow.

Ok thanks for both of these replies. I initially thought the S was more expensive but I guess it’s the same price as the quest and since I don’t need it to be portable it seems like the S is the better option.

I’m gonna do some research on the Reverb though but I’ll assume we don’t know when that’s gonna come out?

Foo Diddley posted:

Is MS Flight Simulator going to have VR support? I thought it wasn't

Last thing I read was they are working really hard to have it in at launch if not in the near future.

I was planning on playing MS Flight sim X in the meantime though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh cool. I wasn't interested in it until now; once you've played sims in VR it's hard to go back

Yeah hopefully it does make it in at launch because the game looks gorgeous.

Only other question is how the hell do you find one of these drat things?? They are sold out everywhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Tempted to pick up a Rift S, or a Quest as both are in stock on Oculus' own website right now, but I'm going to wait for the Reverb G2, or Quest 2. Ideally the next Quest will have a better refresh rate, FOV, and dedicated PCVR support instead of using the Link software, but if it doesn't I'll just get the G2.

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered an S with an estimated delivery of the 28th!

Can’t wait.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I downloaded some IPD checker app and how accurate are they? I know you can use a ruler but eh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like this might be a stupid question but I have an i7 8700K with a 1080TI and 16gigs of ram... would bumping it up to 32gigs be a worth it at all in terms of VR?

My gut is saying no but I just figured I'd ask because its not a huge cost outlay if it would be worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This legit pushed me over the edge to order the rift s.

It’s gonna be a blast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I wish there were a chrome extension for me to bookmark posts like this, with an alarm to come back and quote it a couple days after the launch of a video game, call the extension "I loving told you so". This game/launch reeks of a classic EA bait and switch

I mean not really.

Like it’s a $39.99 game and they’ve pretty much laid everything out. I don’t expect it to be some massive 20 campaign or anything but for what they are saying it is I’m absolutely in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I blew $400 (or whatever) on the warthog and let me tell you what it’s amazing but lol probably one of the dumber purchases I’ve made.

I mean I use it but it’s such overkill.

It does feel amazing though.

I actually can’t wait to use my rift with it and ED since the ED profile for that thing is pretty awesome. Flipping the switch to bring up your landing gear is so great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yes and Audica is amazing. I seem to be the only one on the forums who loves it, but I believe it’s a better game than beat saber.

So I see that Audica is on sale during the steam summer sale. My Rift is coming today so are there any other really good VR games on sale I should be on the lookout for?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

If you dont have it already, Payday 2 is 75p for the base game which has a free and pretty good VR mod if you want to shoot cops

Until You Fall is a really good game, extremely solid and fleshed out for early access

Awesome thanks! I already have payday 2 but what about this bundle?

BOXVR is the award-winning VR fitness game where you jab, weave, and uppercut your way through workouts in time to adrenaline-pumping music.

Until You Fall invites you to battle through an awesome neon environment and strike down magic-infused monstrosities. Fantasy and synthwave collide in this physically active VR hack-and-slash roguelite.

Synth Riders is a VR rhythm hit with a unique combination of dancing and enjoyable workout. Burn those calories solo or together with your friends and track your progress thanks to in-game fitness YUR.watch

It’s $35 so you save about $3 for all those.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shine posted:

BOXVR is basically the cardio boxing class you'd do at a gym. Like, dancing but with boxing movements. It's fine for what it is. If you're thinking "cool, I like gym cardio classes" then it's exactly what you'll want. If you want a boxing title that's more a legit game, then check out Thrill of the Fight.

TotF will force you to learn how to pace yourself and throw controlled punches, as there is no artificial stamina system, so if you would gas yourself the gently caress out in 5 minutes of actual boxing, then you'll do the same in TotF. It feels hella satisfying to get better at it.

NRVNQSR posted:

Box VR and Synth Riders are both kind of also-rans. They're absolutely serviceable, but they don't really have anything to make them stand out compared to Beat Saber, Audica or even weird offshoots like Pistol Whip or Airtone. Unless you're really into exercise/music games you'll probably only ever play one or two games from that genre so if you're picking up any of the big names then Box VR and Synth Riders probably won't get played much.

Great thanks for both of these replies! I'll just get until you fall and Audica for now.

I'll add thrill of the fight for later though so thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Is any of the Audica DLC worth it? Its not a huge increase in cost to add everything together if its worth it.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 26, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HL:Alyx is also on sale for $45.99

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty new to this stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question but this is really only an issue if you are using the Quest or Link (?) hooked up to a PC right?

The normal Rift S wouldn't have that issue?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deeturbomber posted:

Pretty much. The link, both direct and with VD, have an intermediary software layer, whereas the other headsets are more of a direct video feed (not -exactly-, but there's definitely more overhead with the Quest comparatively).

Ok thanks!

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something to look out for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spent $150 on some VR games woooo

Can’t wait to try HL and NMS when I get a day off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

so I go to buy a quest today but the occulus store is sold out. BUT john lewis have one in stock, will i regret not getting it direct if there is problems?

I have to imagine the JL return policy is probably easy.

If you mean down the line I’d say absolutely no issues with a warranty claim.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got my Rift S set up and all I gotta say is WHOA.

Only issue I have right now is that it seems to think I'm taller than I am so I'm like a giant or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK another question,

What headphones are people using with the Rift S?

I have a few different ones I've tried but none of them have been super comfortable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

I highly recommend grabbing a pair of KSC75 headphones and a 3d printed mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

https://www.etsy.com/listing/763073481/koss-ksc75-headphones-holder-for-oculus

Very cheap but great sound. I didn't buy my mount on Etsy but it looks like the same model that my friend printed for me. It works really well, and you can set them up so they're just hovering right over your ears without touching, which I find to be great for comfort and immersion.

Amazing!

Also cheap!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bonik Mantis' clip-on headphones for PSVR headsets will also mount to the strap of a Rift S just fine and deliver pretty okay sound.

OK thanks for this too!

I'm gonna try out what Tip suggested first (since its only $25) and I've saved yours for later if I'm not that happy with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spent a few good hours with my Rift S last night and holy gently caress its amazing.

Audica is fuckin awesome and I love me some Guitar Hero with guns.

BoxVR was actually a lot of fun too for a workout game. I played about 15 min of it and then quickly ordered this,

https://vrcover.com/product/silicone-cover-for-oculus-rift-s/

I fuckin sweat a lot anyway so I feel I should have just bought it first. They have a cloth cover too but I opted for the Silicone one.

Updating Elite now and I can't wait to get into that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Luneshot posted:

I use the AMVR ones. Work great, a bit of a pain to change batteries but otherwise infinitely better than no hand straps at all.

Thanks I saw amazon had them for $26 so I pulled the trigger.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why Does HL Alyx keep giving me low Video card memory pop ups? Like I have a 1080Ti with 11gigs and nothing else running.

I don't notice any issues when I'm playing the game (its fuckin creepy btw) so the pop up seems weird?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thoatse posted:

G2 lookin pretty good through the lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWhOA-PJAek

Holy gently caress how much is this going to cost because I'm taking a second job for it.

Edit: $599? loving sold.

Edit2: Wtf is up with this pre order website?

https://www.connection.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/1g5u1aa-aba/41024161?cm_mmc=HP-_-Reverb-G2-_-VR-Headset-_-Pre-Order

Its linked from the HP site but????

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 2, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

If you care about hand controller tracking I'd suggest waiting to hear how it is, according to most people WMR controller tracking is not very good when your hands aren't in front of your face.

This has more cameras than any previous WMR headset but I still want to know how its controller tracking stacks up to Rift S. It's a tough problem, even the S tracking wasn't good enough for me until it got some major updates after release.

Yeah its probably for the best I didn't pre order but drat it does look nice.

Gonna wait for some reviews before deciding to upgrade or not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m interested too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hhhat posted:

Yeah. Me too.

You guys have been doing this this whole time?

Just the silly tutorial and the friendly robot thing blew my mind

Hell yes! That robot tutorial is actually an incredibly smart way to intro the device. I’m definitely showing it to as many people as possible.

Is anyone using any like breakout cables for their device? I’m feeling like I don’t want to leave it hooked up 24/7 as it might be a week between when I can use it with work and stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazing thanks guys! I’ll order some short ones since my PC is in the same room and I just need 3ft or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Other than that it's a very solid exploration/survival experience where everything is trying to kill you and also make you poop your pants.

Ok thanks for the write up but I’m out lol. I watched some videos and no loving thank you!

Looks like fun though if not for the being terrified the whole time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Penpal posted:

- Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is still trucking with constant updates, but Anton just finished Update 90 which is now out of a month-long alpha. If you don't own this game, it's more than just a firearms sim, so give it a look. And don't forget to put your pistol over your shoulder, so when you're taking a knee to load a stripper clip into your bolt-action you can reach behind yourself to grab a backup when you get pushed by sosigs. Note: this feels extremely cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPqLkF2OTg

Thanks for posting this and the video. The dude seems pretty into the game and I'm going to 100% pick it up eventually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

he's the dev

Oh yeah I know.

I should have been more clear, I just really liked his enthusiasm.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CreedVR is like $7.49 if anyone had it on their list.

The summer sale is a great time to get a lot of these VR games lol.

I picked up Skyrim VR for $17.99 (the 5th time I’ve bought this fucker) as well because well why not?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there is none of that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yeah. I've knocked down the resolution slider but I feel it doesn't do much difference in performance regardless of it's setting. Makes me think there's a software conflict or AMD driver issues.

:Edit: oh wait I see what you're saying, try the Lab as another data point against the performance test which uses similar assets. Cheers, I'll do so.

Found a new app - Are you ready for Valve Index and I also get a "YES" result. Though honestly if I'm struggling to keep up with the 70hz refresh rate for the Quest, I don't see how it will go for a 144hz index!

Next step is to borrow a standalone headset from someone and see if I get similar results to rule out any quest video encoding skullduggery.

I feel like the computer isn’t the issue but there is something going on here

quote:

Playing on a Quest, via Link and Virtual Desktop

That’s causing it.

Just my 2c

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Been experimenting with Virtual desktop and Link. After doing some research, it's clear that the stock cable is woefully inadequate at 389Mbps when people are buying cables that get up to 2Gbps.

So I did some experimenting with Virtual desktop and the lowest latency I manged to get was 86ms according to the desktop app. SteamVR still lags like hell and I didn't even try any games as it'll make me vomit with almost up to 1000ms (feels like it) delay. Since my ISP needs a proprietary router to work, I'm using my Asus AC1900 as an extender wired to my PC. I connected the Quest to that router, which is about 1m away. I dunno if the whole bridge thing is adding latency, but theoretically it should go directly from the PC to the quest I guess? It's about 40ms faster than connecting the ISP router.
Theoretically it should be able to get up to 1300Gbps in 5ghz.

Steam CR test thing gave my computer "max" marks, so shouldn't affect it.

I’m so glad I didn’t get a Quest. Kudos to everyone that gets it to work right but drat this is just a mess I’m glad I don’t have to deal with.

Yeah though your PC is fine it’s something else like you mentioned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I feel like the system requirements for RDR2 in VR would be pretty outrageous, but GTAV makes some sense. It already had a first-person mode- they just need to make adjustments so the driving doesn't absolutely suck unless you're pulled out to the god cam.

My beef with GTAV's writing aside, I would totally play it again in VR (if it's a good adaptation) just to fly planes.

I saw a dude doing RDR2 in VR with Vorpx and it ran pretty good actually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So there is about a day left for the steam sale.

Anyone have any last second VR steals?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hhhat posted:

OK so thanks to some whoopsie doodle by Amazon I now have both a Cables2Go and Cable Matters 6ft Displayport cable in hand.

I used the C2G one last night to play HL:Alyx and experienced a few crashes, as well as at one point the tracking went wrong and the floor raised on me. Didn't have a problem in beat saber although didn't play as long.

Anyway I will try the CM one too and see if it behaves better, but wasn't it CM that folks were saying was the better?

Yeah lol that’s the one I bought but haven’t had a chance to try yet. Gonna try it later though and I’ll report back if there are any issue.

I did notice that the CM one didn’t wanna plug into my video card though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Skywin's VR cable management system is what you want.

Yeah there is 0 way in hell I could get away with this lol

https://www.amazon.com/Skywin-Management-compatible-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B075DKG6H8

Neat idea though.