Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can someone let me know if this setup will work?

I primarily want to use the Quest 2 as PC VR

I want audio through my headphones connected to my PC, controls with my Xbox controller, and visuals ONLY through the headset.

So for like Star Wars Squadrons I would use my Xbox controller to pilot the ship but be able to look around using my headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

They're pretty close in terms of raw technical specs, resolution is a bit lower on the Quest 2 but they're in the same general ballpark. Out of the box Quest 2 will be a bit mediocre as a PCVR headset, with a 72hz refresh rate and heavily compressed visuals. This will improve down the track and the option to do wireless with Virtual Desktop remains a significant advantage if you put the effort in to getting it set up properly. Reverb G2 wins out in terms of comfort, audio and IPD accommodation. The cloth strap on the Quest 2 looks like garbage and effectively makes the $50 premium strap a requirement, audio is basically the same as Quest 1 and the IPD mechanism only switches between 3 spots (58, 63 and 68). If you have an IPD of 65mm you may not be able to get a proper fit, though the discomfort this causes can vary. Controller tracking is still to hard to call, but the Reverb G2 does at least appear to do a significantly better job than any previous WMR headset. Plus facebook blah blah.

The Quest 2 is ridiculously good value, but there's enough issues with it that the Reverb G2 may end up being a better choice for many people.

This makes me feel like maybe cancelling my order and just waiting

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm playing on a Switch pro controller and I still think it feels great. I'd love to grab a flight stick one of these days but using a gamepad still gives me the tactile feel I need to get into it. I imagine playing with a mouse would be weird, especially in VR.

I did have to remap basically every control to get it to my liking though. I after 21 hours with it I only just tonight had the aha moment that made my control scheme perfect lol. But i have every function mapped comfortably and it feels real good. The new update felt like it made the joysticks more responsive too, but I could be imagining that.

what did you change? I'm using your mapping and really liking it but if you have another suggestion let me know

also decided to keep my preorder for the Quest 2 so I'll be VRing it up very soon. Super excited. I have wanted VR for years and I finally have a PC that can run it and a VR headset that isn't $700

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yikes. I'm picking up my Quest 2 on Tuesday and getting SW Squadrons to run seems like it's going to suck.

I own the game on Steam. I don't know if my Wi-Fi router is fast enough for virtual desktop (its the one that the ISP gives you) and its in another room from my PC (though merely 10 feet and 1 wall away).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

50% off for Shadow Point, one of the better Oculus games.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2175239282518665/

weird, its only sale for Rift. When I switched over to Quest, its still $20

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m just picking mine up at curbside tomottow

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress I wish today was Tuesday

I want my quest

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 12, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All these people having issues getting their order meanwhile I preordered less than a week ago and mine is ready for me when Best Buy opens

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I hope I don't regret not pre-ordering the elite strap when I had the chance

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The default strap feels OK to me.

I loved the tutorial game. Picking up stuff and throwing paper airplanes is super cool.

Then I tried Youtube VR and I am hoping it was just the fact that I was streaming that made the quality poor. I did a tour of Paris but the image quality was not great.

Then I tried Rec Room and chose the move around normally option. It made me feel kinda sick so I am taking a break and getting back to work now.

I wear glasses and the comfort is fine but the light from the screen reflects off the two silver spots on the corners of the glasses, which is annoying.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Virtual Desktop works well and Alyx is probably a good candidate for that but you can put together a link cable of your own that is just as good as the official one for about $25. The "comfort" of the cable isn't quite as good but technically it should be just as good.

This is what I did. I also added a $5 angle joint thing so that the cable wouldn't be coming straight out the side but rather running backward along the strap

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So far I'm not too impressed, but I've only tried some videos and Beat Saber---which, BTW, is a mystery to me in terms of why it so popular.

The real point of VR to me will be PCVR, so I'll try that tonight after work when I have time to hook everything up. If that doesn't feel better than what I have got so far, I'll probably just return the headset

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't know my IPD but I wear glasses and the lack of peripheral vision sucks. Would it be better if I used contacts instead so my eyes are closer?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why the hell do I even need glasses/contacts when the screen is literally inches from my eyes?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Finally finished work and tried SW Squadrons. Being able to look around is very cool, but the visuals are a ton worse than my 1440p monitor. It's fun, but it may just be a fun gimmick. The worse graphics are killing me. And slight motion sickness

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Have you messed around with the settings much? loving around with resolution and AA makes a huge difference. I think graphically it's probably one of the better looking VR games out there. So if you are new to VR, you should temper your expectations because it's never going to look as clear as a 1440p monitor, at least at this point in time. At least when it comes to games that are shooting for realism. Games with simpler graphics tend to fare much better.

I’m just going to return it. It makes me feel sick and now my inner ear has been hurting for an hour. gently caress. I was excited for VR but it’s not for me

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I've got a pretty strong stomach and Serious Sam VR and a chat room where everything was rainbow spinning concentric shapes made me sick. Everything else has been rad, though. Make sure you try some other stuff, seated preferably, before you give up.

All good advice from the everyone. What about Half Life Alyx? That’s the one VR game I am most curious about

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok, thanks everyone! I was frustrated so I got a bit reactionary. I truly appreciate the perspectives shared and I will try Half Life

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sorry for being so needy, thread. Hopefully my posts helped others!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo I tried half life alyx

THANK YOU, VR THREAD

And with my PC, I was able to run it on ultra. It looks incredibly real

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I get a couple hours every morning with the house to myself to play before work. Spent an hour now trying to get this poo poo to function! Steam VR is stuck on Standing By and I just see black when I go to the Oculus Link in my headset :(

The Steam VR living room thing shows for a second then it goes black and on standby

blue squares fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 14, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Great Beer posted:

I had a similar problem. I had to update my video drivers to fix it.

for me it was shutting down everything and starting it back up, about 7 times haha

Played an hour of Alyx. So loving cool. Reloading is hard

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't have any motion sickness, but after finishing an hour-long play session in VR, sitting at my computer to work feels kinda weird, like I'm getting used to my real body again. Anyone else?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How are sims on the Q2? I’m wondering if it’s finally high res enough to read gauges in iracing or flight sims for instance

I could see stuff fine in Elite Dangerous before the motion was too much for me haha

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Could someone drop a link to a good step by step guide to wireless PCVR for Quest 2?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I already bought virtual desktop on steam. Do I need to return that one?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

There are 2.5 billion active Facebook accounts. All of these fuckers have accounts. They just don't want to be held responsible for their conduct, just like the type of person who is scared away by the :tenbux: entry fee here. If VR is just 4chan it dies on the vine.

this is pretty dumb. 2.5 billion is not 7 billion, so there's plenty of people without facebook accounts. Given the "delete facebook" sentiment being popular among people my age (31), and the fact that I have few friends without facebook accounts (even if they did previously have one), then its totally reasonable to think some people don't have one. Especially kids in Gen Z for whom facebook was never cool and so a bunch of them don't have accounts.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've read a few lists of "best VR games" and all the lists have left me with doubts so I'll just ask in here. What are the can't-miss VR experiences (SteamVR or Oculus)?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I tried the Superhot Demo and it was hard as hell, but pretty cool. Echo Arena looks fun but also maybe vomit inducing with all the movement?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Its free, give it a try. The movement is deceptively comfortable because you're controlling all movement 1:1 with your hands basically so the world reacts to your brain as your brain expects it to. Echo Arena is a little more hectic though than the single player game, Lone Echo which takes things slower. Lone Echo is another one of the must play games, especially if you're looking for single player campaigns. Its breathtaking just floating out above the rings of saturn, with AAA polish.

Thanks for this post. I will try it since it is free!

Lone Echo seems good, but I think it is only PCVR. I got that to work with Steam, but I haven't tried it via just the Oculus store. Is it the same process or is there another guide I need to follow to get that set up? I am on a Quest 2 and I can't tell if I can play it. I thought I could play anything at all if its coming from my PC, but maybe not.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 15, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

So, if you plug a usb cable into the quest to your PC, and have the oculus software installed on your computer, it will ask you if you want to use link. At that point it acts as a rift PC headset and runs anything through the oculus PC store natively. If you're using Virtual Desktop then you'd actually have to use a program called revive to access it and at that point... just use link.

Awesome. That’s what I do now for my Steam games and it works great (except for when it sits on a black screen and I have to restart everything multiple times)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

I got my Quest 2 last night, and I boogied with a robot.

It was the goofiest smile I've had on my face in a long time :unsmith:

haha that robot gave me the creeps

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got the elite strap today when I noticed it was in stock at best buy. I was skeptical that it would make that much difference, as I felt like the default strap was fine if not great, but wow, what a change!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Palmer Lucky surely has a contract clause from the sale that his tweet is in violation of

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If it helps, I got wireless PCVR setup. I am using a 5Ghz wifi router, but its not Wi-Fi 6, and my computer is not connected via ethernet, and the router is in another room (though only 10ft away). And Half Life Alyx still ran very well. So don't be put off if you don't have the best possible setup

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

You could get much better results fixing that, the other things are ok.

well unfortunately the router is in another room so unless I want to drill a hole in the wall of my apartment or run a cable down the hall (neither of which my girlfriend would allow haha), that's my situation

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

iron buns posted:

I got a tp-link wifi powerline extender for this. The computer is plugged into the extender that provides a 5GHz AP dedicated to the Quest. The other end of the extender is plugged into the router in another room. The two ends of the extender communicate over the power lines.

I did not even know this technology existed. That is amazing. I’m going to have to read an article on how the hell it works

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have to say I find Superhot to be really frustrating. I have a pretty small playspace so I cant move around much, leaving me needing to bounce up and down to get time to move. This wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to keep repeating entire sequences when I fail.

Also, now that I set up wireless via virtual desktop, this morning when I tried to play on wired, no audio would come through. The only way I could get audio was to play wirelessly

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve installed and then later deleted it after chickening out at least that many times

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Still, I’m playing half life alyx on ultra on WiFi with the router in another room and it works great, so try with what you have before spending money