Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Did Amazon have any headsets on sale for Cyber Monday? I got some gift cards so if so I may wait until Christmas rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just the Rift S. It was 350 for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Not much else outside of the Samsung Odyssey+ that was sold for 230 bucks but it’s sold out. BH Photo still has it in stock I think.

Am I correct in thinking the Rift S is the go-to these days? It seems to be basically comparable to pricier headsets as long as you don't need the absolute max resolution.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And even then, you might get more out of the Quest in the long run.

Why's that?

Also lol at spurging on and index

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's fully portable, so with crossbuy on the Oculus store you can just take it with you anywhere.

Ohhh yeah I hadn't really looked at that one yet. If it has parity with the other headsets that sounds like the option for me for sure.

Thanks for the help! I might actually just go on Amazon tonight and buy one of these things :P

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ordered a Quest. Just seems more in line with what I'm looking for.

I got a psvr back in the summer, but it just makes me want to play games with decent hand tracking.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Played some Superhot VR last night.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like you can't down a person with an open-hand slap. And that's a travesty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I adored what little VR there was in Ace Combat so a game focused around that would be an instant buy from me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is abrasiveness: the thread. We’re all heavily invested in niche tech and we will die defending our purchases goldurnit

It's not niche! There are like 3 upcoming games!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

A crime scene investigation game in vr would be cool. Relatively small, contained environments for the player to poke and prod at for clues.

Holy poo poo, just do "Ace Attorney: VR". Now with immersive objection-action!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

How sturdy is the Quest generally? Going to Florida in a couple weeks for the holidays and my sisters want to try it, but I dunno if I want to risk my expensive piece of tech by shoving it in a suitcase. Is there some sort of carrying case people use?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sometimes, if I am posting angrily on the internet, it helps to remember how dumb it is to get mad at the internet. And then go do something else for a bit. People will probably have forgotten this entire conversation in a half hour anyways.

Just saying.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cicero posted:

abrasive

https://tenor.com/INE3.gif

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

There's a few weirdos out there defending the lack of saving by saying it isn't possible to save locations of physics objects even though games have been doing that for well over a decade now.

A dev tweeted this out yesterday, hopefully they can get it in sooner rather than later. It took me 2 hours to finish the first level yesterday, way longer than I wanted to play especially in VR
https://twitter.com/BrandonJLa/status/1204588280559198208

That's ridiculous. Even if they don't want to save physics objects it isn't that hard to implement checkpoints and reset the objects on reload.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

The backseat game development in this thread is always funny but I’m not sure they didnt add a save function just to piss everyone off

It's not backseat game dev to say "this dev team probably could've found a way to include this extremely basic feature that every other game manages to do"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Man, Quests are properly sold out everywhere aren't they? Good on them for marketing the gently caress out of it but I guess that makes it easier to resist the temptation to buy one with bonus Christmas money this year :ohdear:

It seems like the combination of the holidays and the Alyx announcement has really given VR sales a jolt.

That said I ordered mine off Amazon and it only took them like a week to get it back in stock, so if you're still interested you can probably get one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

I just meant that it might not be that easy, just adding a save button could break the whole thing for all we know

Well of course but that's why you don't develop an entire game before going "perhaps the players would like to save their progress?"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Got my Quest in tonight. Superhot is definitely 1000% better with actual hand tracking instead of trying to use the loving PS Move controllers. I just got to the drop. I was not expecting them to do that haha, had to slightly remove my headset for a sec to readjust.

Looking forward to trying more stuff out!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Calipark posted:

https://twitter.com/JonTerp/status/1204944625921929216

Gonna interrupt the normal thread bickering to share one of my favorite moments I've had in Boneworks.

I am impressed with the confidence you pulled off that maneuver. I would probably have lost my balance and destroyed my tv.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So Robo Recall is pretty highly regarded right? Trying to decide between that and Pistol Whip.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Playing Pokerstars in the morning is a trip. It's not functionally that different from a flat-screen experience with a bunch of international people but something about sitting around a virtual poker table with people from the US, France, Denmark, Sweden etc is really cool.

Re: The Quest, after having a couple days with it I agree that this is the direction VR needs to push in. Being able to just slip it on with no fuss or wires makes me way more likely to use it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Don't suppose anyone's checked into that game that got announced at the Game Awards? Seems like a beat-em-up inspired by arcade games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm intrigued. Twisted Pixel hasn't been 100% with their games but they do tend to go in some interesting directions.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

VR Poker is really improving my game I feel. Best practice for reading people's body language and betting tendencies out there short of having a group of people you play with every single day.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Except people play completely differently with fake money than they do with real money.

If there were a quality VR poker with real buy ins I'd definitely dabble in that as well. Someday.

Beat SuperHot tonight. Really excellent overall. The story was kind of non-existent and I thought the middle of the game dragged a bit, but the last few sequences were all really great. Hijacking the plane in particular I thought was awesome and made me really excited for the potential of crazy action sequences in VR games going forward.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 16, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I was aimlessly browsing Quest games last night and came across the Arizona Sunshine trailer.

WOOF that game looks loving rough. The zombie models in particular are loving absurdly low-poly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Low poly really doesn't matter in VR though

The best VR games are like Beat Saber, Rez, Battlezone, Job Sim, all super low poly. Yeah when you watch the trailer maybe it looks bad compared to flatscreen games but when you're actually in VR you barely notice the difference.

low poly models by themselves aren't the issue, it's the overall aesthetic just looking cheap and flat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm in Pistol Whip, I hit better and higher scores one handed than when cupping the shooting hand to "stabilize" the gun.

... are you confused about your ability to steady one hand with another? That's not exactly a VR thing lol

Oh misread your post, that is weird.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Close-range gun kills in SuperHot never get old.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Finally played some poker stars VR.

First table I sat down, everybody was just calling each other gay or super gay over and over.

That said, the environments are fantastic, and the interactivity, while not perfect, feels pretty drat good.

Smoking a virtual cigarette while tossing my virtual poker hand in or rapping my virtual knuckles on the table to check is just, nice.

Its Second Life VR. Its the closest we have to "The Matrix" right now, as jank as it is.

FWIW I haven't had a single bad experience in PokerStars beyond people trolling by going all in every hand. I feel pretty confident in saying your experience was an isolated thing.

The one thing I can say it really needs is the ability to kick people from tables. I might be missing it but I didn't see an option as host or otherwise.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish HL:A came out before BONEWORKS cos its kinda hard to care about it after playing that :(

There should be room in your heart for many videogames.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sure this has been talked about to death but how is streaming from PC to Quest generally? The research I've done seems to indicate if you have the connection for it it's pretty doable. I'm really not sure how to justify an $80 cord if I can just stream instead and be completely wireless.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Technically it's also streaming if you do it using the cable :P

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

If you already have a quest, there's no reason not to try it out. But it's not good. The image can be ok, but the controllers have so much latency nothing will feel good and it's all completely frustrating. Link feels like it's a native PCVR headset, streaming feels completely jank the whole time.

It's really, really, really not good. Depending on what you're doing and what your tolerance for jank is it might be tolerable, but getting a cable is a much better solution right now overall. You can get cheaper cables that work fine for under $30.

Thanks. The stuff I found made it sound kind of janky overall but it was from several months ago so I thought maybe those initial bumps had been handled. Guess I may be shelling out for the facebook cord.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tabletop Sim is great. There are certain games that work really well for it, generally any game that revolves around decks/hands is totally fine. The more pieces and complexity a game has, the more of a headache it's going to be to manage it. But a lot of the games on the workshop are very well scripted.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I would definitely be down for some goon poker.

Probably easiest to set up through the Discord though. I'll try reaching out when I'm free in the evenings.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FWIW I appreciate having Doctor here for an informed perspective that we don't hear a lot. I think Facebook is a piece of poo poo and disabled my account long ago, but I still think it's worthwhile to educate myself and I understand not everyone may see it the same way.

I think this site in general has a tendency to meet unpopular opinions with :getout: or just straight up knee-jerk anger and it's unfortunate.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Picked up a Quest 2 the other day. Been playing Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, it's pretty drat cool. The first VR game I've played that is willing to just drop you off in a large area and let you explore around. It's bizarre that the game has no manual save feature, I was ready to take the headset off last night but had to push through another 15 or so minutes to get to a save point. Not a good look for a VR game.

The space issue seems to still be the biggest VR hurdle at the moment. I was able to clear quite a bit of floorspace in my apartment, but even still I can't imagine the average person is able to clear out any more than 3-4 strides in any direction. And that's assuming you're starting at one end and going to the other. Most of the time I still avoid walking around in VR bc I don't want to miss the barrier appearing and slam into my tv or something.

One possible solution that came to mind for this is if devs could implement some kind of "ideal angle" feature. Sort of like the current functionality to reset the view, but it would instead reset your orientation in the current area. So if you were standing 1 foot away from the edge of the barrier, and you had 6 open feet behind you, the camera would reset to have you 1 foot away from an in-game wall. It would work better in single-room games obviously and isn't a clean solution by any means. Just not a question with any good mechanical solutions at the moment.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 28, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gort posted:

I feel like Thrill of the Fight is doing something like your "ideal angle" thing automatically. Like right at the start it tells you to stand in a given spot (on the weigh-in scale, it's a boxing game) and look at a camera. Then during fights it tells you to move back into your corner at the start to position you, and I feel like the other boxer moves to push you towards the ideal spot.

All quite clever and obfuscated if you don't know what it's doing.

Edit: Or d'you mean like, it would draw the boxing ring to be the same shape as your play area? Mine would be super-weirdly shaped in that case.

Sounds cool, I haven't played Thrill of the Fight yet but it's on my list, I'll have to check it out.

Gort posted:

Edit: Or d'you mean like, it would draw the boxing ring to be the same shape as your play area? Mine would be super-weirdly shaped in that case.

Nah actually changing the level would probably be a nightmare to implement. Just changing the camera to try and maximize the usefulness of the player's open space.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One thing that helps me with motion sickness is moving my legs a little when doing the smooth locomotion. Helps trick my brain into thinking I'm actually moving.

Sometimes I'll walk in place but just flexing the leg muscles helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

+1 for Pokerstars VR. It's...well, poker. But it has a good community and people will even chat a lot of the time.