Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My backdated pay finally cleared so I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket and a headset seems like a fun toy to waste it on. Any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards a Quest 2 because the room my PC's in doesn't really have much space so any VR stuff in there will probably have to be seated, but there's a decently sized space downstairs, so the ability to do both depending on what I'm playing sounds great. Also my GPU is a 1060 6GB (in normal times I'd be upgrading that instead but who knows when that'll actually be possible) so I'm not sure how much that would hold me back for PC based stuff.

Also is the 64GB model worth getting? £100 is a pretty big price difference and it sounds like the games are generally pretty small. I've got fast unmetered internet so deleting and reinstalling stuff isn't a major issue for me.

Edit: some of the games I already own that I'd be interested in checking out in VR are things like No Man's Sky, Thumper and Superhot. Might also see if Half Life Alyx is any good

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Nice one, cheers. Facebook already knows all my poo poo which is, uh, not great but if I'm going to live in the techno hellfuture I might as well enjoy the new Half Life

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Quest 2 ordered! I already have a long USB to USB C cable that I use to connect my phone, as long as that's plugged into a USB 3.0 port I should be good, right?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks for the recommendations. I think the cable I have is about ten feet and like I said when I'm plugged in I'll probably be sat at my PC instead of doing room scale stuff so shouldn't need too much extra give. I did see Virtual Desktop as an option, and already have a good 5ghz router in the living room where I'd be using it, so should hopefully be able to do PC stuff untethered as well. We'll see when it gets here!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

My Quest 2 arrived! Not had much of a chance to play with it yet but thanks to everyone who recommended Virtual Desktop as it worked perfectly and the only stuttering I got was in No Man's Sky, which is a pretty demanding (poorly optimised?) game in general.

I'm planning on picking up Beat Saber and Superhot VR after trying the demos, taking price out of the equation is there any reason to get them on Steam and use Virtual Desktop over running them directly on the Oculus?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Well I ended up buying it on Oculus, partially out of latency concerns and portability but mostly so whoever was playing it didn't also tie up the PC... only to find that app sharing is a case by case thing and it's not enabled for Beat Saber. Apparently it's a new / experimental feature, which seems ridiculous in the space year 2021 but whatever. Hopefully it'll be rolled out soon.

Edit: hmm. I've only played a tiny bit so I might refund and get it on Steam

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Well my office is tiny so I don't think I'd be Beat Sabering in there either way, but I'm unlikely to be playing Expert maps in pursuit of perfect scores any time soon either.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I played a bit of Superhot last night and yeah a few spots were really tough to dodge in (such as the elevator ambush and the kill room that's just three guys with pistols) but even with a small space to move around in I was able to dodge most stuff by squatting or dropping to one knee. Maybe it gets worse later on.

Also Beat Saber works great over Virtual Desktop so thanks to those who recommended it. Looking at my future use I'll definitely get more out of being able to play Run the Jewels tracks than I will out of chasing perfect Expert+ scores so wireless streaming from my PC seems the best approach.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Played a couple of community tracks on Beat Saber. I guess I never really wondered where the hardcore DDR fans went, but I know now! I really enjoyed Seven Nation Army and Back in Black as accessible rock tracks, and Uptown Funk was a bit beyond my skill level but great for making me dance about like an idiot. Looking forward to finding other tracks for people like me who aren't rhythm game maniacs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DelphiAegis posted:

Posts like these make me so happy because it gets so much better, my dude(ette). It gets so much better. One of the best things about Beatsaber is that you will go into a song, get your rear end kicked by it, and put it on the shelf for a while. You'll come back a few weeks later and ace it out-of-the-box like it wasn't a thing. Once you start to pickup the "language" tracks are written in and parse it without thinking, it gets so much more fun.

Baba Yetu is complex, but makes you feel the beat/music in a way that's hard to describe. A fair number of the Lindsey Stirling tracks are well put together as well, though probably a bit more advanced for the moment.

Dude, and thanks. I'm sure some stuff will click soon but for tonight Mrs Boat and I are going to put it on no-fail mode and flail our way through some stuff on normal / hard.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah possibly a dumb question - if I want to extend the battery life and have a generic USB battery pack can I just connect the Quest to that and pop it in my pocket while I play?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

theflyingexecutive posted:

If you're going to buy one, make sure it has PD because the Quest power draw is very high. A non-PD battery will extend your session, but it won't fully drain the battery before the Quest dies.

I've got an existing one and it's very cheap so is almost certainly non-PD, but all I need is a small boost given our play sessions are in the brief span between the toddler going to bed and our bedtime. If I need to buy another battery I'll look for a PD one, thanks.

I really enjoyed this version of Shake It Off with the triple swings back and forth on the chorus, any other good recommendations for songs that get you to dance about on normal difficulty?

Right now I'm having the same problem that I had in Guitar Hero when I started out which is that one missed note generally becomes several as I reorient myself, but I'm sure that'll lessen with practice.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DelphiAegis posted:

Toxic is pretty great for that, and gets you used to crossovers.

The "one missed note means multiple" never really goes away, especially on the more frenetic sections in high PP songs. Don't worry about it to much, just keep slicing.

gently caress yeah I love Toxic. Difficulty "between hard and expert" is absolutely going to destroy me though lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SPACE IS ABOUT TO MAKE YOU ITS BITCH. SUCK IT DOWN.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Another dumb question - if someone's using Virtual Desktop to play wirelessly, does that prevent me using the PC to do other stuff? Let's assume that it's got enough power to run everything at once.

I'm used to the Steam Link where it would send the entire screen to your remote device, so alt-tabbing would also change what was being streamed. However it looks like SteamVR / the game being played usually isn't the active window. Would keyboard / mouse inputs conflict with the Quest controllers? I'm guessing any sounds would be passed through to the Quest regardless.

I'm trying to figure out if I can write an email or browse the internet while Mrs Boat is Beat Sabering, or if I should just stick to my phone.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I might experiment and see what happens - I only ask because when I was at my desk today my laptop went to sleep so the monitor switched to the gaming PC, showing Mrs Boat playing Beat Saber in the background and the Virtual Desktop management window over the top of it. VD might be a special case though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Warmachine posted:

I think the problem more likely to sink his plan is how Windows handles passing commands and the fact that a window needs to be "in focus" to take commands. Hence, when he goes to write an email, Beatsaber loses focus and at best auto-pauses or stops taking input from the controllers until focus is restored.

Yeah that's my concern. Mrs Boat and I will experiment when we have a moment and report back.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Captain Monkey posted:

please let me know if you can, it's entirely possible that I am wrong and that would be pretty cool if it worked.

Wrote this post on my PC while the Quest streamed the menu for Beat Saber using VD / SteamVR, no dropped inputs that I could see and alt-tabbing didn't interrupt the stream. Obviously it would be possible for processing load or network traffic to gently caress things up but as a principle it seems like once you're in SteamVR it doesn't demand exclusive use of the machine, which is nice to know.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

smenj posted:

Everyone raves about Virtual Desktop but they all insist on buying separate routers, completely clearing out the 5Ghz band for all other devices, etc. and it's just not something I can be arsed with right now.

For what it's worth I've not done any of this and had zero problems. My existing router is the tp-link Archer VR900 which I understand is decent but not top of the line and I've not cleared the 5Ghz band - in fact I've not even prioritised network traffic for the Oculus. It would be my first troubleshooting step if I ran into issues but so far it's just worked. The router is in the same room as my play space and the PC is connected over a decent powerline connection, with latency around 20ms.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I downloaded Gorilla Tag and had no idea what I was doing and ended up smashing the ground and bouncing around a tree with a bunch of teenagers after the one person who knew how to walljump and fell a lot 10/10 would get very dizzy in my living room again

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm slightly annoyed that I just bought VD a week ago, but I've absolutely got my money's worth in that time and I'm sure the Oculus version won't be as good out of the gate.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SCheeseman posted:

Air Link having spacewarp is a big advantage over VD.

I have no idea what this means but I'm excited!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You Beat Saber maniacs were right, I've had this thing a week and I'm cranking everything up to hard because while I can't clear levels consistently at that level normal just feels too drat slow. This is the slippery slope to Expert+ 200bpm anime soundtracks isn't it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Changing topic completely, I tried out Borderlands 2 VR after seeing a few glowing recommendations here (and because I really enjoyed the normal version of the game) and I've got a weird issue where the HUD is misaligned to the left. Took me a while to figure out why most of my shots were missing. This is playing over Virtual Desktop to an Oculus Quest 2.

Is there a fix for this? Googling it brings up various forum posts about similar problems across a few different headsets but not much in the way of solutions.

edit: this video displays the exact same issue I'm having

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWxIWQ5YTxg

I just tried it out using Oculus Link and the problem is even worse using that lol

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, it feels like something that should be fixable by playing with ini files, but presumably if it was that simple someone would have figured it out by now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Leal posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1382821262825689090

It would be an oculus exclusive, wouldn't it :mad:

I can't wait to physically grab and move things around in Leon's attaché case like I'm an exasperated dad trying to pack for a family holiday

"Who the gently caress decided we needed a dozen eggs???"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Grey Hunter posted:

EDIT - tried the power cable, and it connected and fininshed the app install straight away, so its a dodgy USB cable - any good suggestions for the UK, or did I just get unlucky with my generic chinese one?

I got this one on a lightning deal (although even at full price it's still much cheaper than the official Oculus cable) and it's worked fine for me so far: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086HFLH7J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_MHWKXQWWZTX2DEH76T11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 metres might not be enough for your needs but I only use it when I'm sat in front of my PC so it's plenty for me

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

5 April for me lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SCheeseman posted:

https://bmbf.dev/stable
You need to enable Developer Mode and install that APK (easiest way to do all of that is Sidequest)

I realise BMBF and Sidequest require a connection to a PC for the initial setup, but can you download custom songs without one once BMBF's installed? My mother in law bought a Quest 2 after trying ours out and doesn't have a PC other than an ancient laptop. She knows that she can't easily get custom songs on the Quest version, but if it all works within the game like on the Steam version once set up that should be manageable.

On the other hand I might just be lowering myself into another layer of Family Tech Support Hell.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Organza Quiz posted:

You can but it's annoying! I probably wouldn't try it with someone who wasn't tech savvy but your tolerance for teaching might be higher than mine.

It almost certainly is not.

Organza Quiz posted:

There's a lot of music available in the base game now if you include content packs, and how many of the custom songs is she really going to know anyway?

This is a good point. When I asked her if there was anything she'd like me to look for on the custom song sites her first request was for something by The Byrds.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’d love to! But apparently the two cameras built into the product are experimental and don’t work even after I built a new computer.

I can't believe Valve bricked your Index

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, even with cleaning between users something that lots of different people strap directly to their faces seems like a uniquely bad idea right now. People were joking that the Rift demo stations at trade shows were plague vectors years ago.

If you're not willing to do a return the best option is probably to try a friend's headset if you're both vaccinated and low risk.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Got Air Link running after disabling my VPN and it worked great. I was sat in front of my PC in the study where the wi-fi signal is a bit poo poo and it had no issues at all with streaming. Not had a chance to try it out downstairs next to the router but it seems at least as good as VD.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The only issues I've had with Air Link are with the host app. Virtual Desktop ran on startup and sat in the background until needed. The Oculus app doesn't seem to have an option to minimise to the taskbar and the "toggles off if not used for 24 hours" thing is annoying but I'm assuming that'll be removed once it's no longer in beta.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'd be interested to see how they've tuned that given constant, precise movement is required to stay alive even at lower difficulties in RoR2

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kikas posted:

Yeah I think vr needs a game about switching world/ scale on the fly, I think Katamari or something in the vein of Alice in Wonderland would be a good fit for that.

The Psychonauts VR game has this as you jump to different people's perspectives. Unfortunately it's not very good, apparently it was an early VR game and it's aged quite badly.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The only way I was able to do decent throwing in Superhot was by just thrusting my arm straight forward and letting go. No overarm, no underarm, just pushing whatever you're holding away from you. Completely ridiculous but it was the only way I could get anything approaching accuracy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cabbages and Kings posted:

there are bots autoscraping the something awful VR thread for steam keys? ignoring our very clear robots.text?!?!?!?!?!!?

Well I never. I am glad a goon got it before the bots did!

unless VegasBot is a bot. that has been here for 10 years :laugh:

There's a persistent belief that there are bots watching every thread for anything that looks like a Steam key ready to snatch it away from good hard-working goons, but the reality is that there are enough lurkers around that it's pretty likely any key posted will be redeemed within minutes.

No Man's Sky has always had terrible performance even on powerful machines.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Does Synth Riders have the same thing as Beat Saber where it's best to get it on Steam over Oculus for custom songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

njsykora posted:

Nope, it has native support for custom songs in the Quest version. Sidequest even has a menu specifically for adding custom songs to a bunch of rhythm games, Beat Saber is basically the only one that doesn't have custom song support in its Quest version.

Great, thanks - I picked it up on sale last week but didn't do anything other than the tutorial so was still in the refund window. But if the Quest version supports custom songs I'll stick with it.