Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Lmao at recommending the quest in the same week that oculus killed modded beat saber, it a thread that also has the same joke title as the actual beat saber thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I lost my fear of vr spiders when I realized they acted more like badly-animated puppets than real spiders

I love being the teleporting bow wizard in skyrim though.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm in VR to DO, not to watch.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Has any developer tried haptic feedback as a "no" buzzer? If the game wants you to swing a weapon or move your hand at a certain speed to simulate weight, have a sphere of "correct" position that you have to stay in otherwise the controller buzzes. Then, over time, presumably the player becomes accustomed to moving the appropriate speed to avoid hitting the buzzer 'wall' of too fast.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Yeah it can be self hosted, also runs on a toaster. The bfgoons mumble server regularly had 200+ users running (literal) cd-quality audio, generally in the teens-ms latency. Plus no weird login process, with an option for self signed certs to prove identity. Oh, and in three years not once did it ever go down.

There's another goon mumble server still kicking around with a bunch of battlefield die hards, camping under the stairs, I think.
I mean, you've still got your bf2 av...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Leal posted:

Reminder that Skyrim VR literally has a mod that puts interaction nodes on genitalia and its fully compatible with the mod that adds your character's full body.
let's put some boobs on this mudcrab

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1231344041356169216?s=20

does anyone know what is going on with the internet?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kikas posted:

Hey my buddy is getting a Rift S soon but it's just for a month and he has glasses. Are there any software options that help with that or would he need replacement lenses from VR Optician? They might not even arrive before the month is up and I want to help them have a comfortable experience.
be really careful with this, i scratched my lenses as well after playing with glasses like twice. I want max FOV so I put the headset as close to my face as possible. Fortunately that plastic scratch remover stuff worked perfectly and now I only wear it while wearing contacts.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Vox Machinae is still listed as early access on oculus store which is just :wtc:

by.a.teammate posted:

I got some nasty scuffs from my glasses, what did you use to repair the lenses?

https://www.amazon.com/Polywatch-Plastic-Lens-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0014R9V9O
I think how it works is the compound has the same refractive index as the plastic lenses so when you buff it in it just fills in the gaps. Wipe the lenses down real good first.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 14, 2020

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

by.a.teammate posted:

Im bit scared I’m gonna make it worse, this easy enough to use ?
it's pretty foolproof as long as you follow the instructions about it not being too hot or too cold and you clean the lens first to get all the oils/dirt off and you use a terrycloth or other non-shedding cloth

it's a liquid with the same consistency as the stuff you use to clean glass stovetops or the liquid barkeeper's friend, not quite a paste

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

One of the reviews on that:

quote:

I recently sold my Vive and switched to another VR headset. When they say "HTC Vive" only, they mean it. They actively block other headsets with an error message. This is the second time I've been burned by them. I bought all of their content on the GearVR. Within a year, it was yanked from the store so it couldn't be re-downloaded and even the content I'd already downloaded began failing DRM.

Seems like they're trying to lock it to the specific platform...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I ran my rift CV1 perfectly fine on a gtx 970, if you want to turn up all the dials and play DCS you might need a powerhouse card but entry level cards work fine for 90% of games. I think the only game that actually stuttered back in the day was Onward.

If I had to ballpark it, I'd guess you need a card that's 1/4-1/3rd the cost of the headset you want to buy.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oculus store has a minimum spec and the standards are pretty drat low. All the games run fantastic even on poor hardware. If by modern you mean alex or boneworks, OK I guess.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 27, 2020

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yes. Closer is always better.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

are there any apps that just give you cool scenes to walk around and explore? Google Earth VR is super impressive of course but more sci-fi or fantasy themed would be cool. I'm assuming people have put cool stuff into vr chat but I don't know how to find it

There's some neat stuff in tilt brush like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TceqUX8JG9U

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Chekans 3 16 posted:

What good VR puzzle/adventure games are out there? Looking at Myst and the Room currently. Anything else stand out?
If you have more time than money there are a whole bunch of puzzle/adventure/escape room type games on steam for cheap/free, if you filter by VR there's a bunch of semi-demos that you can try. Some are better than others but I don't really regret time I put into any of them, most are very short ~30m or less.

Belko VR
Abode
Accounting
Conductor
The Red Stare
The Price of Freedom
Portal Stories VR

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I would probably buy an index tomorrow if there were touch-ish controllers for it. My hands don't fit right in the knuckle controllers and I don't like them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Where is my touch-like controller for the lighthouse system

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wanted to mention, if anyone picked up Subnautica: Below Zero and was sad they dropped VR support, it's been added back in with a mod and is better than ever.

Subnautica was my first real sitdown longform game on my CV1 and I'm so happy I can play the sequel in VR as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bloodplay it again posted:

I can't wait until xae12 zuckerberg rules everything and I will be god DAMNED if I let someone post in this here VR thread to blaspheme our future ruler.
There is no technology that advertising cannot ruin.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

sarcastx posted:

In other news, I'm now getting *abysmal* performance, and I'm wondering if my new monitor has something to do with it - the last time I used SteamVR my primary display was 1920 x 1080 @60hz; now it's 5120 x 1440 @240hz with HDR enabled.
Am I right in thinking that there'd be a performance hit in such a change to resolution/refresh rate on my primary monitor or should it not have much of an effect?
Try turning off HDR specifically. I know that there are issues with the windows implementation and it fucks up scaling on monitors and can make things blurry for non-native resolutions, so it makes sense that it could cause issues with headsets.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
beats of the dead

RE: that HL2, I might try it out but honestly I'm not sure HL2 holds up that well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I played Obduction in VR years ago and I really enjoyed it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
my rift S is more comfortable than the cv1 and that with it's slightly better screen is pretty much all it has going for it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All of the vtol-vr vehicles are a ton of fun. I wish there was an official apache campaign but at least there are some real good workshop campaigns/missions.

Playing with friends is a ton of fun; There's an apache one that was pretty fun and has real audio and there's another that's a random advance one where each wing is restricted to only weapons of their role, so first you have to clear the skies with an AA loadout, then switch to anti-ground, and then a heli to cleanup small targets in the city hiding between buildings. Each "zone" you clear moves the carrier up and there are 3 zones to clear.

I enjoy both playing solo and with friends, I find the apache really difficult to fly+aim with just one person, it's clear it was designed as a tandem vehicle. There's tons of hours of fun on the workshop for all vehicles, both solo and multi.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And speaking of fun, holy crap is into the radius a fun game. Basically, it's call of pripyat VR. I was expecting way more jank and while I can see some vestiges of annoyance (manually cleaning guns is kinda novel the first time but quickly gets old) at some point they patched in ways to avoid most of it.

The balance/design is a little weird because I'm absolutely drowning in supplies on normal difficulty and am never short on cash to buy the best guns. I bring home so much stuff I thought I would have to hoard but instead I just throw it in the 'recycler' to space space and convert everything to P+ ammo for my M9. Overall the game is just a ton of fun though and I really enjoy the open world aspect of it compared to the more curated experience of say HL Alyx.

If I was a Dev I'd have tweaked stuff a bit more, like the intention is to feel the scarcity and make it difficult but the maps are small enough and you don't get tired so every expedition feels like a short one - if you leave an hour before dawn you can typically finish up and just walk home every time. The design and levels are cool, I like the pacing and gradual increase of danger, but I'm really surprised they didn't take a page from dark souls and other games where you have to walk the long way and then you can open door shortcuts - the factory would be the perfect place for stuff like that. The reset is a cool mechanic that keeps things a bit fresher and after about 10 hours in I feel like I'm probably 2/3rds the way through. I'd like a bit more of a reason to use scrounged weapons+ammo since even though weapons are gated by "security level" you can get the best pistol in the game fairly early and if you buy it you can just immediately kit it out because missions pay so much.

P+ ammo in the M9 is incredibly strong and there's no need to scrounge and use whatever you find since you can just sell everything and immediately buy the best thing in the shop. Maybe things will get trickier late game but the early+mid has been a (still very fun) breeze.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I really need to learn what missiles to bring along with me on a VTOL VR mission and how they all lock onto targets/fire. I feel like most of the time I have targets acquired in the TGP, everything is armed and ready to go and then nothing fires when I pull the trigger.
Vtol-vr really needs a cheatsheet how-to on what weapons to use when, how and the distances of each. I might put one together someday.

You said TGP so I assume air-to-ground so you probably mean the AGM-65. There's something called "Action" configured in the weapon menu, and you can set single or double action. It's double by default so you point your craft vaguely at your target while holding the trigger, when the circle zooms and acquires your target. Then, as long as your target ">" is within the elongated 6 you're in range and you hit the switch weapons button (B on my rift) to actually fire the rocket.

If it's laser guided you have to keep your TGP until it hits because the laser is pointing at whatever your TGP is looking at. If it's fire and forget like the AGM-65, the target is already sent to the missile and you can select other targets while the missile is on it's way (and fire at them in succession).

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 30, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

Hmmm okay maybe I wasn't aiming enough at my target. I was just trying to throw missiles at a column of tanks like 6 miles away so maybe it wasn't in range either. It's a bit overwhelming as a newbie to see the loadout screen and have to know what to take, so I usually bring stacks of AGM's and some bombs or something then the cannon which I usually rely on anyway once I realize I can't fire my rockets, lol.

I also bought the AH-94 and ran through the tutorials and part of a mission (before flipping over and crashing), seems good but probably way better with a second. If you're flying those solo do you typically sit in the front seat or back? or switch between the two depending on what you need at the time?
The AH-94 is really difficult to fly and gun at the same time; When solo you're going to always be in the back and using the combat collective 99% of the time (there are two handles on the same bar, one is combat). Right after you take off I suggest using normal collective to adjust your trim a bit to the left so you fly straight-ish and then switch to combat collective for the rest of the mission.

The gunner has the 3rd middle screen but you can't use it - you need to be constantly adjusting the collective and yaw/roll to stay level and on course. That's also very hard to do while also doing the TGP (called TADS in the heli) stuff. Often you'll just have to put it in autopilot while you mess with the targeting, even if your missiles auto-home without direct TADS targeting and you can slave your gun to your head it's still really, really hard. A common maneuver is to hover behind terrain, pop up to fire and then duck back down to break SAM line of sight.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 30, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Finished HL2: VR. What a game. I enjoyed it more than half life Alyx. You actually get a bunch of different guns! And get to do lots of things that aren't holo puzzles! Big fights! You get upgrades! The RPG is the best. The revolver feels real good to use. A button to throw grenades with a known path was way better and more fun than Alyx's implementation. Driving was pretty cool though it was a bit fast/disorienting for VR. The only thing I didn't like was the basic pistol, if there was a button to activate the slide like there is in real pistols it would have been a lot better; having to click it felt very awkward. But it's fine, you get the basic machinegun pretty early.

Most importantly, you can just turn on a laser in the options rather than search drawers for hours desperately trying to find enough lovely resin cans to pay for a laser upgrade for a single weapon. Games are meant to be FUN, not tedious, and after playing them back to back I feel like Alyx really missed that mark in a number of different ways. The basic pistol you get at the start of the game is meant to be a lovely backup, not a primary weapon, and so I never felt empowered in the slightest in Alyx. I played through the entire game never quite having enough ammo, versus in HL2 I was basically the doomguy for the last third of the game.

That gradual evolution between being a fearful nerd with a pistol and a prayer to a walking tank disdaining cover, killing everything with one shot was an amazing feeling of empowerment entirely missing with Alyx, where even at the end levels the pistol was my default weapon because there was never enough ammo to even use the shotgun regularly.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 7, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does quest have google earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

Solving that required some really annoying fiddle and after failing to get anywhere with a couple different solutions I ended up using VirtualHere. Virtualhere is ornery fairly expensive software ($50 per machine source license non transferrable) with infamously bad support. What VirtualHere does is allow a client to access devices on a LAN source and take them over as if they were directly connected to the client machine. So I can have a laptop with a wireless mouse+kb near where I am using the Q3 and from my desktop computer (via Virtual Desktop) takeover those devices and they act as if they were directly connected to the desktop PC. The Quest is out of the loop entirely so android bugs don't apply and typing/mouse performance has been fine enough to play Cyberpunk.
You've already solved this but for anyone else with the same need (shared kb+mouse across PCs via network), there's an app called Synergy that does this for kb+mouse that doesn't cost $50.