Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I just RMA'd both my knuckles and a lighthouse with Valve and they emailed me the labels and such, but they said I didn't have to ship anything back until I had the new ones. Which I just got. Worst part of the deal for me was having to drive to a nearby FedEx place. And having sticks that wouldn't click in the first place. And a bearing out on the lighthouse. New stuff all works perfectly. So far. So happy days are back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whyyyyyyyy are there no aftermarket Rift CV1 cables?

:cry:

There is always going wireless with TPCast: https://www.amazon.com/TPCast-Wireless-adapter-Oculus-Black-Windows/dp/B077D9NS3V

One downside tho is it narrows the FOV a tiny bit. But not enough to detract from wireless.

But its a pretty quick way to almost double the amount you have invested in a CV1.

I have one, got it set up, and then Index showed up. Its a battle every time I want to play VR whether I want to go wireless or have better picture quality.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

Is wireless likely to be an option with the index in the foreseeable future, or are these systems just pushing too many pixels too fast now for that to work?

Dunno. Probably. But thats the reason why they had to reduce the FOV on the Rift for wireless from my understanding. Had to limit the # of bits to push to a reasonable amount. I think there was some discussion about this way earlier in the thread. Someone had some actual numbers about it, and it was pushing the limits of the available communication channels.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

A hero. I'm not sure I would put that headset on without disassembling the whole thing first...

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
My VR Ears came today. they feel like they are made out of brittle plastic... so not a great first impression. but we'll see how they are once I mount them onto my quest 1 when (ugh, IF) I get a chance tonight.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Syves posted:

My VR Ears came today. they feel like they are made out of brittle plastic... so not a great first impression. but we'll see how they are once I mount them onto my quest 1 when (ugh, IF) I get a chance tonight.

God drat life is busy, but got to use the VR Ears for a bit last night and they are quiet. Max volume on the headphones is MUCH quieter on my Quest 1 than just not having anything plugged in at all. Probably need to adjust a volume setting somewhere, appears others have had the same issues on the indiegogo page. Could also be a positional thing? But my Index with the off-ear headphones work a treat in about the same position.

However, thats not necesarily a bad thing for me. Could still hear everything fine, but might be nice for the family to not have to hear how many robots I'm recalling or whatever. And it is nice to not have to wear headphones after wearing them most of the day at work.

So, VR Ears: 3 out of 5 stars. Maybe 2 if something sneaks up behind me since I couldn't hear it.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
Has anyone heard a date as to when Meta isnt gonna require a facebook account to use a quest? I still have my old Oculus account I've been using with my Quest 1, but I grabbed a Quest 2 before the price increase (was planning on getting one anyway, but threat of costing more made me jump faster than planned). Would like to play minigolf with the kids, but I'm the only person in the house with a facebook account. So we dont have a second account I could share the game with so we could use both headsets. And I don't want to bother making a new facebook account just for this.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

No idea, but the v43 firmware is now on beta. Maybe when it's released in a week or two to the bigger public they will also activate the login switch trigger.

edit: soon I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/wf7xec/oculus_app_updated_metaoculus_accounts_arent_live/

Haha, why didn't I think to look on reddit... good habits I guess. Thanks! Hopefully its close

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
The Q3 I ordered wasnt supposed to arrive until the 11th, and it showed up this AM. Never was able to track it with UPS until after it arrived. Got it charging now until i get a break at work to toy around with it.

Stuck with the stock strap for a bit until Bobo VR gets their M3 pro available. Was thinking about getting the adapter when it comes up, but I figure keep the M2 on the Q2 for the kids/wife to use. Stock strap is "usable" but not as comfy as the M2.

Syves fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 10, 2023

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

- If you have the Meta app on your phone on Android, the Play Store might (as in my case) swear up and down that it is completely up to date, yet will not give Quest 3 in the "add a device" list. You have to completely uninstall and reinstall the app and sign back in with 2FA, just to get the Q3 option to appear

In case anyone else has this issue - All I had to do was force stop the app, clear the cache and relaunch, and Quest 3 was available. All my stuff from my Q2 and Q1 was still in there as well, so didn't lose anything.

Not excusing the jank, but maybe a less destructive option for anyone not seeing Quest 3 when adding to the app.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Professor Wayne posted:

I got my bobovr strap in for my quest 3. I can't believe that I've been playing with the stock strap up until now. It's such a huge improvement, But I'm having an embarrassingly hard time getting the top strap through, so I may have to live without it

I just used a smaller, thinner, easier-to-bend velcro strap to get it started feeding thru. other folks have used like duct tape and such. But its really vestigial... Mine is loose on both my Q3 and Q2.

Played Powerwash VR a bit last night, I got a little woozy playing. But thats not saying much. It seemed like the game I played flat screen, but in VR. Graphics seem a bit dumbed down? Like spraying things doesn't make them "wet", just "not dirty". But otherwise seemed the same game? Granted, only did the first house in the campaign. So might change as things get more complex and framerate takes a dive.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
I have a question on best way to do something.

I bought a Quest 3 for myself, and am planning on passing my old Quest 2 onto the kids, as well as bought a 2nd Quest 2 so more than 1 kids can play at a time (besides me, I'm greedy and the Quest 3 is mine alone!).

Thats the situation, now the question: How would it be best to set things up so everyone can play games with everyone else? Separate accounts and multiple copies of games? Or can I share my account with both the Quest 2's and let the kids just piggyback off my library.

Would obviously prefer to just share my library since $$$$, but I want to make sure all 3 of us could hop in and play some Walkabout or Ghostbusters whenever we wanted regardless of what I'm doing with my headset.

We have done plenty of Eleven table tennis with my q3 and q2, but not sure if I could extend this to a third headset. Info I can find on reddit or even the Meta help guides has been less than useful, and seem to be directed at multiple accounts on a single device. I'm trying to use one account, on more than 2 devices. If it were just sharing with one device, I've found stuff for that, and have successfully done it that already, mostly for Eleven table tennis. Even that might not work with other games, not sure if Eleven is a special case. I just want to get everything set up so when its time to open gifts, we don't need to do any setup or charging afterward.

Anyone else already been down this road have some advice?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
The game I'm most upset about not seeing any translation from the old PC Oculus store is From Other Suns. That game was a lot of fun. Almost definitely could run on q2/3 hardware now, and seeing a Steam release like a remake would be amazing. Please someone tell me this already happened and I'm just out of touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

If yer like me and wanna check to make sure your account already is a Meta account, https://auth.meta.com/websetup/ will tell you. I wanted to check and found this link from a year old reddit post.