Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ROFLBOT posted:

For sure, im not saying no one should criticise the pricing or whatever other aspects objectively (hell, i have...) but my point is the Rift S was in a similar position when it came out and now 6 months on with lots of tweaking its turned out to be a great headset.

The Cosmos has been out, all of 2 weeks and HTC has already acknowledged issues and pushed out at least one update. Lets at least give it some space in the OP and see how it goes...

The biggest problem is the price though, tracking issues aside what does the Cosmos offer for that extra $300 over the Rift S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JHVH-1 posted:

I loaded up Gun Club and just did a round of target shooting and then unlocked an AK-47. Decided to go into sandbox mode just to test out attachments and next thing you know an hour goes by just sucking around with stuff. I like how if you mount multiple lasers they angle towards the target. Who doesn’t need a pistol with a hunting scope and 50 round mag or a revolver with an acog and double lasers?

Holy poo poo that owns, :lol:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is truly amazing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder why they didn't put the battery for the Quest on the back of the headstrap by default, giving it better balance and removing a ton of weight from the front. That way you could of had swappable batteries and poo poo right out of the box.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zero VGS posted:

I literally told the research team at my house that today. They took a picture of my DAS plus Powerbank mod and I had them write down "move battery cells to rear strap overmolding". It'll probably fall on deaf ears but hey I tried.

You could definitely mod it yourself if you're brave enough though. Open up the Quest, (teardown: https://medium.com/badvr/oculus-quest-headset-disassembly-2f404b004a3c ) then remove the battery and run two wires out and along the strap to the back, then velcro a couple 18650 spring holders to the back in parallel and you got a ghetto solution: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232003409215

Hopefully they think it through, because then you could have a more balanced headset and larger, swappable batteries. I don't see any downsides to this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wheezle posted:

I've just switched to a Rift S from a Vive and I'm now noticing some rather problematic FPS drops in Beat Saber that weren't there before. I know the resolution is a little higher now, but surely a 2080 Super should be able to handle that, right?

Is playing SteamVR games on Rift known to come with performance issues? I guess otherwise it could just be the added CPU load of the rift's tracking cameras, maybe?

Something is definitely up, make sure that your GPU is the default processor for all 3D applications. Maybe it's trying to use your CPU for it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomBlue posted:

Oh come on with that guardian outline, don't kid yourself.

:perfect:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cartoon Man posted:

Steam Halloween sale is up, some of my wishlisted VR titles are on sale. Might pick up Gorn and Elven Assasin.

Gorn is the truth.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, I give Alien Isolation a pass on that front but that's because I'll Stan the poo poo out of that game and the film, but GTA? No thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Truga posted:

most vr games run great on a gtx970, so with a beefy gpu it's not gonna be a big deal

It's a toss up because VR titles tend to go for the minimal look to make it easier to drive frames, but 2 4K panels is going to be pretty taxing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just got these in:

I like them better than the Mamut's I have for the sake that I can change the god drat batteries without having to remove them. Not sure if I have the top part on right, but it works well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, those are the ones I got, they work really well so far. Considering how drat cheap they are compared to $40 Mamuts they're definitely better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

Man if only someone said "Buying a Quest isnt a replacement for a desktop vr" in this thread.

lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In H3, is there a way to remove attachments? They seem to be stuck on once you attach them so I always just spawn a new weapon.

Why yes I've put scopes on backwards, why do you ask?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So ever since getting the Kiwi grips for the Touch Controllers, I don't think I'll be going back to my Mamuts. Would anyone like them on the house?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So with the Link Beta out, what's the best/longest cable people are using to test it out with?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nalin posted:

People are sticking cables in the end of the 16 floor cable matters active extender. People are getting like, over 30 feet that way.

Oh nice, I'll definitely pick one up then.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That thing is god drat creepy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So when the gently caress is the Oculus Link releasing?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wasn't the cable supposed to release with the software or did I end up reading that wrong?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hellsau posted:

Literally just port the Prime Trilogy to VR. No texture upgrades needed, pretty sure even the Quest could handle it. Would need some reprogramming so you can use your left hand for something, and would need to edit the renderer to reduce popin as you turn your head so it's not just a quick and dirty port unless they'd want to Bethesda it, but drat those games would be sick in VR with less jank than the emulator.

Speaking of Nintendo poo poo on the Quest, are there any emulators for the quest that allow you to play poo poo in 3D/VR? I know they exist on PC.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calipark posted:

https://twitter.com/JonTerp/status/1204944625921929216

Gonna interrupt the normal thread bickering to share one of my favorite moments I've had in Boneworks.

Destroying the headset aside, I was expecting you to to suplex him when you grabbed from behind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Microsoft still selling the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap for $75 on ebay? I can't find the post or the listing and it looks like the prices have shot up on Amazon. I'm tired of the regular strap on my Quest so I want to Frankenquest it up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope, that source dried up. Hence the price gouging.

Bah, gently caress me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got the Anker cable today and I'm finally trying out the Link stuff but the headset keeps disconnecting and it's pretty stuttery, is this par for the course right now? The former issue seems to be completely hosed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomBlue posted:

Don't have that issue with mine using the Anker cable (if it's the 10' that was recommended), might try other USB3 ports on your machine.

sethsez posted:

Like everything Oculus has ever released, it's incredibly picky about your USB ports.

AzureSkys posted:

I keep disconnecting after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's my old motherboard's USB 3 ports, the extension cable, or cable I have. I read that disabling the nvidia overlay, if you're using on nvidia gpu, can help. I just tried and went longer than I usually do. Not sure if my last dc was due to me going from a steam vr game back to the Oculus menu, or what, though.

I'll give my other ports a go then, didn't have much time to test it out. I'm also on a laptop so I don't have many ports to actually try. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There is a mario kart VR game :) you just can’t buy it to play at home I guess

https://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/virtual-reality/vr-zone-portal/mario-kart-vr/

I played it last year and it was pretty cool but it seemed to be like one course everyone played only and it was over really quickly

I wonder if this sorta thing is piratable

Probably, it's just running on a PC with a VIVE, I don't think it uses any hardware that's proprietary, but look luck sourcing those files.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M a x posted:

Star Trek Bridge Crew + DLC is on sale and since its cross buy you can buy the oculus version to get it on quest. You can use the code EXTRA20 to get a little more off of it as well.

When I add it to the cart it's full price and the DLC isn't in the cart. Welp.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KTS posted:

I just had no issue buying it, you're trying to buy it through the Ubisoft store and not Oculus correct?

Yeah, the only thing that applies to my cart is the EXTRA20 code, but the store discount doesn't show. So altogether I'm paying $27.

I refreshed the link and it looks like neither product is on sale anymore? What the gently caress?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Any goons looking for a used Rift S? I don't use mine with Link being good enough for me and I was just going to toss it up on eBay, but thought I'd ask goons first in case they were interested.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got my Oculus Link today and it's a nice cable, definitely more flexible than the Anker and the added clip is nice but the price, lol.

Alo I see that the Hand Tracking is available on the Quest now? God drat, it's super janky but I'm stoked to see how this thing evolves and I hope it can become and alternative to standard controllers because some games I'd like to have free hands instead of gripping controllers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners came out today, seems like it could be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQx872oy4A

They also confirmed it's crossbuy with Rift/Quest https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/esklfo/the_walking_dead_saints_sinners_just_confirmed/ (it doesn't come out on Quest until later in the year)

Oh hell yeah, pretty stoked for this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So now that the Vive DAS' prices are back down, I ordered one, which adapter kit does everyone swear by? Or does it just not matter and just order anything off of Etsy?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks! Just ordered one in Orange, hell yeah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This looks dope as all gently caress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Room: A Dark Matter finally has a release date; March 26th, across all platforms.

Which frankly seems like suicide for a VR game.

I at first was like, "What? Why?" Then it hit me, Half-Life. Yeah, really god drat dumb move but I love The Room games and I'll be buying it day one.

I just won't play it for a week or two. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man the DAS on the Quest is night and day, I'm surprised the audio and strap the Quest ships is the final design they went with. It sucks rear end in every way and this is just so much better.

That said, I'm finally gonna play more VR but it Oculus Link seems a bit shakey for me. Is there anything I can do to mess with it to improve performance?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SCheeseman posted:

I get really obvious and constant reprojection artifacts in Dash with Link but not in actual applications. What hardware you rockin?

I've got an ROG Mothership with an i9 and desktop RTX 2080; I should be in the clear? Performance for anything running through steam is awful and I can't even launch into SteamVR without issues. Maybe it's the USB-C port I'm using or something? Not sure. I'll try just running stuff from the Oculus desktop app and see if it's any better.

I remember ALVR running a lot better than Link, is alpha5 the newest version? I want to try out wireless VR again to see if I have better performance.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm trying out Virtual Desktop to wirelessly stream stuff from my PC, but there's no "Start SteamVR" option. Do I have to sideload some old rear end version of the app or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Yeah, either install it through SideQuest from here https://sidequestvr.com/#/

Or install the apk yourself manually from here https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases

Thanks, that was painless through SideQuest! This works amazingly, finally got around to playing Boneworks and it's pretty fun though I haven't done any combat yet.