Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So between this game and Alyx, I'm gonna build a new rig and get VR.

Seems like Oculus with the USB-3 cable is the smart money, but I'd like the index better if I don't want to save that down payment for my next car

Pretty sure when I built my current rig 4 years ago it was *just under* what Oculus announced as the base req, so I feel pretty good about getting something present day and having it run smooth and what not

But this thread is nice and cool

edit: a single player campaign? gently caress ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Inacio posted:

if you're only/mainly interested in PCVR i personally (and i am not in the majority) feel like the quest is not the best bet - 72Hz, video compression, etc

however an index is expensive

i was just going on whats in the OP

Whats your and everyone elses opinion I'm only looking for PCVR

(as opposed to what? playstation? putting my phone in a cardboard?)

Is this what it feels like to be out of touch

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
so a Rift S because it seems to fit with my computer buying philosophy

which is i get pretty good stuff a while after its come out and some other redic thing is now the most bestest and expensive

I dont have a big place at all and don't really want to swing my arms around my living room I dont think

I understand beat saber is like, everyones favorite thing ever, or maybe that was 3 years ago, if I get the Rift S, can I still swing my arms around if I decide I want to?

My sweet spot is high performance at cheap cost, which I know sounds silly, but like I got a GTX 660 when it was midrange good for maybe 200

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Inacio posted:

yeah dude i have a rift s and it just works. biggest problem with it is that you're giving the zucc your money

yeah but it seems like if i want to give gaben my money i have to give him a *lot* of my money

someone tell me theres a good third option plz

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Zachack posted:

IMO the biggest deciding element should be the amount of space and layout of that space that you have around the machine powering the VR device, followed by the types of games you are most interested in. I have a PC that can handle VR but it is in a corner, behind a fluffy recliner, and with other stuff "around" me (shelves, side table, etc). When I want to play VR games with any sort of "space needs" I typically have to get out of the recliner and sit facing the recliner on a big opposing ottoman. I can stand for some games but Gorn really pushes the limits. I feel that a lot of games have moved away from X360 controllers so while Elite is just fine a lot of other things aren't (or are locked to PSVR; I played Astrobot just fine in the recliner).

Because I wanted to swing around a bit more, and because even most "stationary" games still have you move your body around a little (Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Robo Recall, Fisherman's Tail to name a few) I went with the Quest and 95% of my VR time is in the kitchen which is the only room not crammed full of furniture/shelves/cat toys. My brother, however, had an empty room that he was able to convert into a VR room with cable management.

Right now, the space is my office chair... my 9 year old selfs xwing fantasy is the reason I'm giving this a serious look. Half life 3 being in it is cool too.

Am I being a luddite? Should I really be looking to try beat saber and poo poo?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Inacio posted:

we already mentioned the upcoming reverb m8

600 bones and its from HP. Also its not here yet

I dunno... I dunno... I'm not in a *hurry* but I'm also thinking maybe being quarantined all summer gives me a reason to dive into some cool VR poo poo.

sethsez posted:

So here's where VR is right now:

All relevant headsets support full hand tracking and head movement.

The Oculus Quest is a portable headset that's about as powerful as a Switch. Games are much lower fidelity than what you get on PC, but play the same. It can also be hooked up to a PC to function as a PC headset, but you get a bit of video compression since it's done over USB. It's $400.

The Rift S is a PC-only headset that uses similar tracking and identical controllers as the Quest, but it's more comfortable to wear and the screens operate at a slightly higher FPS, in addition to getting a pure video signal. It's $400.

The Index is a PC-only headset with better tracking than the Quest or Rift S, at the expense of needing to set up additional equipment around your room. The controllers feature finger tracking, the audio is SIGNIFICANTLY better, and it's more comfortable than the Quest (whether the Index or Rift S is more comfortable mostly comes down to which style you prefer). It's $1,000 all-in.

The Quest is the cheapest option if you just want reliable VR with no other equipment, because it's entirely self-contained, and it can be used as a portable option if space is an issue around your computer. The Rift S is the one to get if the price point is right, you have a VR-ready PC, and you will absolutely not use the headset portably. The Index is the best headset overall, but considering it's more expensive than the Rift S and Quest combined you'd expect it to be.

Also someone told me the Index was hard to get hands on. I guess it's between that and the Rift S... the thing is I theoretically have a 10 by 10 space I could bop around in, but then there's a different question - how long can the cable from the box to the headset be before you get latency issues, or is that something that even matters? Cause I could have my desktop computer at my desk, run a... I dunno, 15 foot cable to the space, and then do the thing.

Someone inspire me with a story about how beatsaber makes them sweat and exersize or something. That could sell me on standing up and VR instead of sitting down and VR

... would I then be that moron that swings their arm into my flatscreen? I feel like I could probably just read the whole thread to get a ton of answers here, I'm just thinking, do these devices go HAY YOURE ABOUT TO WALK INTO THE KITCHEN or something if youre setting up some kind of invisible field around a room?

I'm feeling like youtube is a good place to go look now but I like you guys thanks for answering all my questions

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Deathlove posted:

This is the set up video for the Quest - if you start to break the "wall", or get anywhere near it, it throws it up and you know you're about to go somewhere you don't want to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5ldprM5Mg

we are living in the *future*

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Indeed.

And even that, every three or four days there is someone on one of the VR subreddits showing a broken finger or a broken controller, possibly a broken 60" TV screen, because they were too in the game.

How does this even work on your brain

where you're like, I know im in my living room and I can smell the sandwich I just made over there but OH gently caress ALIENS IM GONNA HIT IT WITH MY AXE

and then you snap out of it and your end table has a hole in it and your fingernail is missing?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

I limit the guardian to where I can physically stand and it keeps me from crashing into stuff as there is usually a buffer between where I can stand and where I would actually crash into something or swing into something with my arms. But yeah, if you don't want to punch stuff set up the guardian so it'll warn you before your hand can touch the thing.

this makes sense and I kinda get the concept now... so like, there's games where you walk forward and back purposefully to do something? How do you holodeck in real life? Does the game world occasionally scroll or what

The mind boggles

ok so I found an indication that the index comes with a 6m cable so it seems like the computer in one location and headset in another isn't a huge problem. Now I'm wondering how you set up that jazz so the cable doesn't catch you, and then I'm remembering the local VR bars have cables hanging from the ceiling.

Feels like some potentially complicated planning to get a situation where you can desktop computer for one thing, and swing arms around nearby for another thing, but not impossible, but maybe potentially difficult to make it not look like a sex dungeon

not that theres anything wrong with that

also, new orders ship in 8 or more weeks?

That's another ding against this thing. Oculus Rift S really that much worse?

hhhat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 15, 2020

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Lemming posted:

The best option for setting up your playspace is still getting a mat of some kind that sits on the ground such that as long as you're standing on it, you can't reach anything, with a noticeably different feel/height/texture from the floor surrounding it, that makes it obvious when you step off. Guardians that go up against your walls are fine for really slow games, but for faster games it's really never going to guarantee your safety. I highly highly recommend the mat approach for basically everyone.

thanks

how do you still have the bernie or bust tag, did you escape the purge? am i calling you out by mistake? sorry!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

If you really want to play away from your computer, there is also a way if you have a good router to link the quest to your PC wirelessly. You have to buy a program called virtual desktop but it lets you play pcvr games on the quest wirelessly.

I don't know that I do, honestly.

I'm here cause star war game, but people are like 'no rly you should do the arm swingy thing' and im thinking, if i invest in this thing, maybe i should give myself the option.

There seems to be lots of varying opinions on this, probaly since people do different things with it. I've never played a vr game.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Watch some youtube videos. Don't get it for just one single space game that you don't know will be any good. If you're into flight sims/space sims generally like Elite Dangerous or War Thunder then go for it. If you're at all interested in playing games like Half Life Alyx, you need at least a little bit of space.

Try to get a video that shows the whole setup. Check this channel out, they have a lot of videos on VR stuff that shows them moving about and stuff, but do also keep in mind that they're at the very top end of the market in both hardware and space.

To be honest, if you're only interested in playing Star Wars in VR, PC VR might be too much of a hassle and overkill. Maybe consider PSVR?

Nah if I'm going to spend the bucks for it and there's legit great stuff I could be playing in VR then it could be for more than just X wings and Half Lifes. That would make me feel better about the cash up front. Thanks for the link I'm checking it out

Tom Guycot posted:

If you really want to play away from your computer, there is also a way if you have a good router to link the quest to your PC wirelessly. You have to buy a program called virtual desktop but it lets you play pcvr games on the quest wirelessly.

I feel like I'm leaning toward good visual resolution over no cable. Am I a dumbass? This seems like such a complicated decision - on top of having to upgrade my PC anyway, I have to go extra hard and worry about my glasses and a cable hanging around my back and all this other crap. I'm definately at the early research phase of this, glad there's a thread.

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically, you can move a certain distance around a fixed point in the game world, and if the game wants you to travel larger distances then the fixed point gets moved in some way - either by the game moving it automatically or by you indicating with the controller where you want it to be moved to.

For example, in Superhot VR, the game will automatically warp you from one enemy encounter to the next, but during a given encounter you might want to take a couple of steps to the side to duck behind that barrel or grab that gun that landed just out of reach. But you often have to turn one way or another to handle the encounters and the game doesn't try to preserve your real-world orientation, so it's easy to get twisted around and lose track of your actual position relative to your playspace. You end up having to spend actual mental effort to keep track of where you are or to check your position every now and then, which is kind of unpleasant, and I can see how having a wire to manage would add to that.

Having had a Quest for a little while, I've found that there aren't really a lot of low-movement games on the Quest side of things, and the ones that are tend to be pretty noticeably limited compared to their PC versions. Most sit-down experiences, like flight sims and racing games and stuff, seem to be PC-only. Since I barely have the space to swing my arms around right now, I've had a hard time getting much out of it.

I feel like I'd be way more at ease playing games that don't make me walk around even in a small space, cause in the back of my head I'll always be like AM I NEAR MY TV or whatever. Spaceship flying seems drat near ideal.

I had no idea Alyx was a 'walk aroundy' type of game. All the things I've seen make it appear as though you're standing still with your strange disembodied hands floating around doing puzzles

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Pierson posted:

Talking about Squadrons reminds me I still have my Saitek X52 in a drawer somewhere. If my Index arrives before the universe burns down I need to try all this poo poo together at once.

When did you order it and when do you expect to get it?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Unless you wander out and buy some phone holder at walmart for 10 bucks, whatever headset you get you'll be blown away and enjoy it. Everything at this point is pretty good, and its harder to go wrong.

Biggest reason Quest gets recommended so much is because the PC experience, is still better than the visuals of the launch headsets from a few years ago, but you can also use it on the go outside of your computer chamber. If you ever want to, for example, being portable you can take it to thanksgiving or a friends house or what have you and get a kick out of your friends and family flailing around in VR while everyone laughs. If you want to show people PC VR, wired setups are always more like being a serial killer leading your friends to your dungeon to strap on all this gear.

Again though, anything you'll buy at this point you'll enjoy and will work well.

Thanks for these words. You're super helpful.

My setup is computer desk near an open area that i could reach with a 6m cable so maybe i do that, since what I feel like I'm going to likely be doing is mostly standing still or sitting still. which makes me feel like i should be looking at Rift S.

And a computer upgrade...

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
this whole thing is annoying, because 'minimum requirements' only mean something to someone who knows if a GTX is better than a TI or worse than a Ryzen or whatever the gently caress. I don't really care about new hardware except every 4 years when I look at logical increments and get what they tell me to

For a rift S, I believe all I need is a new GPU

My CPU is an FX8320, i've got 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX660. According to the web site, I guess I just need to get a 1060 and then I can do this huh

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

njsykora posted:

First, Logical Increments is a terrible build site, PC Part Picker is way better and their general build guides are really solid. The 10xx series of GPUs is discontinued which is for the best because my PC with similar CPU and a 1060 struggles with VR a lot of the time. The current equivalent is a GTX 1660, but I'd upgrade that CPU as well if you can, the pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs are pretty rough.

And if PC building scares you in general, that's what the Quest is for.

ok so like, that's basically a new computer at this point huh

PC building doesn't scare me, I been doing it since the time when we had to know which jumper to put where :corsair: I really just can't be arsed to care about new poo poo unless i'm getting a thing for me

thanks for the recommendation, I've used logical increments one time, 4 years ago, it was useful for matching parts together so I liked it

I don't want a quest, I want to sit down and video game for the most part, but maybe periodically i'll stand up I guess

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The FX8320 is also almost 8 years old now. VR games are still like, newer video games and I can see that being a bottleneck.

I kinda figured I was going to need an update eventually, this seems like a good time to do it, or not, either way, I'm gonna check it out.

I like your user name

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Inacio posted:

seconding pcpartpicker, it's really good.

yeah i played around with it a bit and I'm seeing the goodness thanks again for that link

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Rift S plus glasses. Who's done it? Do I need to order the fancy inserts, or will I be just fine

my glasses are not extra large or anything

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

hhhat posted:

Rift S plus glasses. Who's done it? Do I need to order the fancy inserts, or will I be just fine

my glasses are not extra large or anything

the width limit is 142mm and the height limit is 50mm

i seem to be right at the width limit, on the front of the glasses, anyway. I'll do research like a good citizen

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Veotax posted:

I do, my glasses are 13cm wide and I have no problems with them fitting in.

mine seem to be right on the edge of 142mm

i guess i'll find out

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Pylons posted:

I picked up some plano inserts because I'm paranoid about the lenses but as far as comfort, it's fine.

yeah that seems to be what i'm finding, most people saying it aint a big deal but worries about scratching your stuffs

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

I would never fall deep down the sim rabbit hole...

I just ordered the Virpil CM2 throttle to replace the X55 throttle :shepspends:

this image is pretty wild

wont most of that stuff be pointless if youre using a VR headset?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

No I use the mfds and ufc in VR just fine. Some of the buttons are shaped differently and I put little bits of velcro on the middle buttons on the mfds like homekeys on a keyboard. Takes a little getting used to but it works really well. Its actually very close to 1:1 placement for an F18 which is the main thing I nerd about in dcs. It is close enough for other jets though that use mfds like the f16 or harrier.

Analog pots in a joystick vs digital hall sensors mostly comes down to that the pots might wear out in a couple of years and start spiking all to poo poo. You also get more accuracy from hall sensor setups usually 16000 ish divisions vs 1024 or so for a potentiometer setup. Some really old analog sim controls only have 256 which are genuinely bad by 2020 standards.

what

Inacio posted:

yes. the only sensible move is to buy a Leap and have your virtual and physical cockpits have buttons in the same locations. :eng101:

i have a logitech flight stick doodleybob i bought a couple years back that i only used to play x wing on good old games for a bit, i'm pretty sure its going to be fun in vr

also im pretty sure vr is going to be fun

i'm going to have a new PC and headset in a couple weeks time, i'll happily report back and get some more recommendations once i know whats up

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Finally got my Rift S set up and all I gotta say is WHOA.

Yeah. Me too.

You guys have been doing this this whole time?

Just the silly tutorial and the friendly robot thing blew my mind

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Will there be any loss of quality with a USB and Displayport extension cable? Anyone tried that that can report back?

I feel like I could use an extension effectively. It would also give me a way to unplug the stupid thing since it turns out always on is a thing apparently?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Thoatse posted:

Like Silly-Balls I also have my computer on the other side of a wall from my play space so run an extension through it to plug into. I use a passive 6ft/2m displayport extension made by Cable Matters and it works fine with my Index, no artifacts sparkles etc. I think that's as long as you can do passively though and beyond that active dp cables are stupid expensive ($50-$150) and finicky as to which models of which brands work. USB is not as picky other than for CV1 sensors which was dumb af

you good thanks for the info I got the same cable :cheers:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
OK so

I've played the demo and tutorial... what's first? I really liked the 'hold gun and shoot at target' thing.

I really dont think I want to beat saber. I don't think. I dunno

What yall recommend

Gonna get Alyx for sure but what else

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

My Index has arrived! Will be comparing it with the other headsets over the next couple days. Haven't plugged it in yet, but it looks good and is very comfy.

Beat Saber. Just get Beat Saber.

but isnt it a rhythm game where you swing your pretend lightsabers at blocks that fly at you and get sweaty or whatever

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

H3VR, IL2: Great Battles, Dirt Rally 2.0, Walking Dead, Sairento, Onward, LA Noire (or just watch Perry Mason), Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, No Man's Sky, Budget Cuts, Gorn, Poker Stars, Vox MAchinae, Until You Fall, Creed VR, Red Matter, War Remains (free), Catch & Release, Thrill of the Fight (workout), Beat Saber are better or for worse, the essentials, in descending order

Meaning H3VR is the best one? This is a long rear end list - I've been playing the same game for 4 years (Overwatch) and before that I played TF2 for... uh... how ever long since it came out.

Perry Mason was cool in the 50s

Deathlove posted:

what if i told you there are TWO hold gun and shoot at things rhythm games, and they're both great (Audica and Pistol Whip)

But what if there's one that isn't rhythm, is there like a duck hunt or something out there?

Yes. Most people that think that sounds dumb that try it end up loving it. If you don't like it, refund it.

Oculus store give out refunds yes?

Inacio posted:

yes and it's really good, especially once you add mods and custom music (i have never finished a single default "campaign" song, they suck)

Argh that sounds like work I don't like modding/customizing things unless I'm forced to

Is it really that really great

also thanks all for the replies this is a real useful thread

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

SirViver posted:

Personally I really like H3VR and it's by far my most played VR game, though keep this in mind:
  • It's strictly single player only.

It didn't even occur to me that shooting gallery games could be multiplayer but yeah sounds fun

NRVNQSR posted:

If you're looking for games where you shoot things in a gallery you're in luck, because that's probably the most oversaturated genre in VR. It's hard to point out ones that stand above the rest, though. H3VR is beloved of gun nuts and people who want incredibly accurate simulations of reloading assault rifles but impenetrable to anyone else. On the more arcadey side I guess Robo Recall would still be the go-to recommendation?

someone said horseshoes and hand grenades and funny enough that's just what my son said I should try, he's already played VR with his bros

Penpal posted:

right on time

so, forums user triple h-at, I recommend buying beat saber and also downloading some custom tracks. easy ones like daft Punk songs and poo poo. game good

You got me. I'll do it. You got me.

Inacio posted:

Once you install mod manager it's literally one click on the mod site and the songs auto install

And yes it really is good

OK. Seems like I have no excuse.

I'ma come back to this thread when I've tried them out to let yall know you were (probably) right all along

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
how uh... how do i start steam vr?

Internet suggests it should just 'be there'

hmmmm

never mind! there are multiple 'steam vr' softwares, and only one actually installs the thing apparently.

I was like what

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Trip report

10ft of cable is just a bit too long. My machine can't make the bridge. Getting 6ft replacement. Hopefully that works, so I can get in the middle of my room.

H3VR - requested refund. Neat tech demo but... not really a game? As much as an experience? I guess after an hour now I know how to load a bunch of guns where I'd never know in real life.

Beat saber. Fine. FINE. Its fun. I'm a jedi at a rave and it's fun. Also a workout.

Once I get 6 feet extension I'll go for Alyx, but I would also like to try sit down and drive/fly... what's your faves out there?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

There's a ton of different "games" in H3VR - Wurstworld, Rise of the Rotweiners, Take & Hold, and Meat Fortress all come to mind, and all are getting semi-regular updates.

I tried a couple of them and they felt really empty... I think for a shooty game i'd prefer to be doing an on rails thing like the old school arcade games? just send waves of aliens or whatever my way and let me mow them down

also having to do all the manual hold things on the weapons is kinda neat but not fun at all, just let me 'pick it up' without having to hold down a specific button and let me just clicky clicky the targets

its still neat i just cant imagine playing it a bunch at all

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah that was it

Just let me shoot my gun man, even the team fortress thing, while looking cool, was just a pain cause you have to manually load ammo.

OK so beat saber mods... I'm about to look it up, but if anyone wants to lunk me

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

that was really easy and rewarding

I can now go back to being an old person who doesn't know any of this new 'music'

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Dietrich posted:

Space Pirate Trainer might be your jam.

I'll check it out! Thanks

Inacio posted:

not to worry, friend:
https://bsaber.com/beat-saber-goes-90s/
https://bsaber.com/bloq-busters-vol-4-high-octane/

there's plenty of boomer-friendly music. mods are great!

Excuse me I'm genX I'm not part of the worst generation thankyouverymuch

Inacio posted:

i'd also really recommend you take a quick look through these - the mod assistant makes it trivially easy to install mods: https://bsaber.com/plugins/

Song Browser is an absolute godsend. fixes the fact that beat saber's song picker sucks dong.

i think Mapping Extensions is the one that lets you play maps that have awesome effects like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OFzHL2aT0&t=173s (02:56). not sure about the name but the mod assistant tells you what the mods are anyway.

again, click the checkbox and hit the "install or update" button, and you're done!

this is awesome and you're awesome

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Yall have any recommendations for driving/racing games? And, if you've played one, how's it feel if you don't have a wheel?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
thanks!

And for the joystick that I've rarely used, what's the best flying game I should try out in order to know i'm ready for playing x wing in the few months?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
annoyingly, the 6ft extension cables i just plugged in came up with the same error.

USB is fine, but displayport extension says "the system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution/refresh rate" except it can, just not with 6 more feet of cable.

I'm now worried the cool as hell graphics card I have just doesn't push the signal hard enough to get through that much wire... or something. gently caress if I know

Anyone dealt with this?

Also I'm an idiot with 20 years of professional IT experience

I rebooted it for the first time since I plugged in the new cables and it works now

hhhat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Cable quality. Might need to go active extension cable.

Yeah that was potentially going to be the thing but nah i'm a moron