Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Skyarb posted:

When I'm chrome casting on my quest, and I take off the quest it immediately stops casting. This is annoying when having a party with a bunch of people switching off the quest. Can I disable this behavior?

I think there’s a setting somewhere that puts the Quest to sleep after a set number of seconds after you take it off instead of immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

That's disappointing, I was counting on using that cable. I guess I will dig through my cable drawer when I get home. Might have to order a new one from Amazon, because the below quote is not encouraging me to wait for the official cord:

quote:

Later this year, we’ll release a premium, custom optical fiber cable to provide a best-in-class experience with maximum throughput while using Oculus Link. It will be 5 meters (16+ feet) long to provide more freedom of movement than any other cable on the market. We’ll start rolling out our cable with limited quantities in select regions this year, and continue to expand availability in 2020. We’re also releasing the Oculus Link cable specs today to help our community make informed buying decisions and let other companies evaluate whether to make comparable cables in the future.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Turns out, the only USB 3.0 cable I have at home is an extender. Womp Womp.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 19, 2019

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Is that Rhys Darby? I'm in just for that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Regarding headphones: I'm not an audiophile, but I ended up buying the 1st party earbuds for my Quest if only to isolate myself from outside noise. A big part of VR for me is immersion, and I've found keeping out sound helps a lot with that.

Weird thing about these earbuds is that aren't connected to each other and just plug into the left and right side of the Quest. Turns out if you plug in the earbud for your right ear in the left socket and wear it in your left ear, you still get the audio meant for the right. They aren't labeled R and L or anything, so it's difficult to tell which is supposed to be which. There have been several times I've reacted to a noise from my left that was supposed to be from my right.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ordered them on August 3. They work fine if I flip them, so it's not a huge deal.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Scanning things in Red Matter makes me want a legit Metroid VR game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Finally got a cable that can utilize Oculus Link. Image quality of PCVR is way better than when I was using Virtual Desktop over wifi. I'm still getting used to being physically tethered, though.

I gave REmake 2 a shot using vorpX and a first person mod. It was a cool experience, but too janky to play through.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

When can I karate chop blocks in beat saber with my bare hands?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

One of my favourite games on VR so far has been I Expect You to Die...are there any more puzzle games that are somewhat similar to that on Quest? Something like old time "adventure games" ala Mist or even Zero Escape would probably be awesome with VR interaction.

I haven't played I Expect You to Die yet, so take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt. But I would look into Red Matter and Shadow Point . Not the hardest puzzles in either, but they were fun experiences.

And I haven't played it, but I think Time Stall is in the same ballpark.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Also try updating your pc oculus software to accept beta updates. Mine stopped connecting at all until I did that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you playing with mods? I just picked it up in the Steam sale but I'm having a hard time finding a decent mod collection list.

I've been playing a ton of Skyrim with the below mods. I still need to sort out getting SkyUI to work.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

My official Oculus Link cable in came today. I didn't realize it needed a USB C port on your PC. Guess I'll shelve it until I build a new PC in the spring, or someone finds a decent adapter.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Hey anyone want to play Jackbox in Bigscreen tonight? I honestly don't know the best way to organize a room. Discord?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

According to I Think You Should Leave, this is very normal

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

i must compose posted:

Does anyone else have hitching or stuttering in saints and sinners? It happens unless I turn everything all the way down in settings including resolution, and even then there are spikes in the CPU and GPU load. I'm using an index with an rtx 2070 and an i7-7700.

I have an i5-4670 and GTX 1070 and it's been running fine on medium settings.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I used my Quest for the first time in almost two months to play a JRPG via Virtual Desktop. My Xbox controller died, but I was able to navigate menus with my meat hands. It was extremely cool, and I'll be finishing the game that way.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I set up my HOTAS yesterday and played the tutorial of Elite. It was a really cool experience, even if I'm bad at turning around. I mapped my HOTAS to generic gamepad buttons on Steam, then bound those buttons to different actions in Elite. A small issue is that the HOTAS has more buttons than an xbox controller (and an extra axis), so a few buttons on my HOTAS end up unusable in game. Any easy way around this?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It wasn't registering any inputs within the game when I first plugged it in. I spent a little time playing with settings in Steam and Virtual Desktop, and mapping it out as a controller was the first thing that worked. By then, I was just ready to test it out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Elite has been great for me when I smoke a little and haul space cargo for an hour or two with some music. I can’t imagine getting really deep into the game.

As a VR bonus, you can poke your head out of your ship to look around. It’s nice that my spaceship has a sunroof.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Horror games in VR have so much potential. I've only played a few janky ones, but they were effective.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I didn’t hate Layers of Fear when it was free on PS4. It does have an absolutely hilarious moment that I hope was intentional. I would love to see VR footage of it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I tried it in Japan. It's very cool and fun. You use your hands to grab and throw items.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I got lasik instead. Purely for VR, obviously

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

8one6 posted:

Mirror's Edge 1 in VRrrtgggghhhh... :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNfx9YWJguM

Looks like that's a thing.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

blue squares posted:

Can someone let me know if this setup will work?

I primarily want to use the Quest 2 as PC VR

I want audio through my headphones connected to my PC, controls with my Xbox controller, and visuals ONLY through the headset.

So for like Star Wars Squadrons I would use my Xbox controller to pilot the ship but be able to look around using my headset.

I feel like this should work. If you're using Virtual Desktop, it will make your Quest the default audio output, and you'll have to adjust the settings a bit. It would be easier and probably less awkward to plug your headphones into your headset.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Happyimp posted:

Has anyone that's played phasmophobia gotten the crucifix objective to mark off. I tried it so many different ways but no luck. Even when it looks like it works, no cross off. I'm losing my sanity in real life.

Edit: I just got lost in the asylum after all my friends died. Jeez that's an experience.

Yes, but it can be risky. You have to get the ghost to start a hunt and hope that it's both within the smallish radius of the crucifix and not immune to it. I was playing on professional with some people who insisted on getting it, but I kept telling him they would die trying. Here's a clip of how that turned out:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CautiousKnottySpaghettiYouWHY

The asylum is just a bad map. I leave any game that is heading there.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone want to play Phasmophobia with me. Like, right now? Or another time? Just looking for people to play with.

I've been playing a lot. My friend code is 42493163 on Steam.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I would love to play some immersive sims like Dishonored in VR. Something like Metroid Prime would be cool, too.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

I tried it, but didn't get far. I hated the time limit.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

am i right that you basically cant play phasmaphobia on the quest 2 because the mic doesnt work over link?
its got this horrible little microstutter on VD
I could never get my mic to work over link with my OG Quest. But I haven't used a cord to play PCVR in months, so I'm not sure if it was ever fixed. I just use a bluetooth mic that can attach to my HMD.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

You should be able to disable your guardian if you turn on developer mode.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Micr0chiP posted:

I wonder how many dick pics facebook has from the bottom cameras from people jerking off with the hmd
I'm pretty resigned to having no privacy from companies like Facebook and Amazon. But strapping the official Facebook headset, logging into an account linked to your real name and connected to your friends and family, and then pointing 4 cameras at your hog is the least tempting thing in existence.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

please dont recommend me doom 3 sir thats assault

I've heard VR makes Doom 3 pretty good though

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Phasmaphobia is terrifying in VR. It needs some polish on the controls for sure but it nails it on atmosphere.

Phasmaphobia has honestly been my favorite VR experience. I couldn't even finish the tutorial, I was so spooked. Then I played a bunch and got used to it. And then I joined a game with a hacker that scared me so bad, I almost ripped my headset off.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidCarelessSandpiperAMPEnergyCherry
It's super dark, so you may not be able to tell. But there's not supposed to be that many ghosts hanging out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm having a blast in Outer Wilds VR. Kind of hard to believe this is a mod.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Gort posted:

Huh, I'll have to check this out later. Had any issues?
Not really. So far the only nitpicks I have are that you have to find a bit of a sweet spot when you're trying to pick up an object and put it in a pedestal or something, and 6DoF doesn't quite work when you're in zero G. If you're not facing the game's static "front," trying to propel forward will send you sideways or backwards. Fortunately, they put an outline of feet on the ground so you can orient yourself.

The zero G thing is easier to deal with once you start pretending you're wearing a NASA propulsion suit and can't exactly walk around anyway.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I’ve never lost headphone audio like that using a chromecast and my OG Quest. It sounds like yours wasn’t working right.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I gotta find some people to play phasmophobia with, holy cow I’m such a wimp, I chicken out so hard so fast

I don’t even know if it’s scary, I bailed out before literally anything happened, lol

e: it was the tutorial

I bailed on the tutorial, too. It was spooky. My Steam friend code is 42493163 if you want to add me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

empathe posted:

Got my new rig with a 3080 and finished the last 2 chapters of Alyx on it with my Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop. REALLY glad I waited as that was incredible at 90fps ultra detail. Fantastic sequence.
Hell yeah, I've been waiting to get Alyx and Boneworks for whenever I upgrade from a 1080 to a 3080, and this post is making me feel justified.