Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Tentative steps onto wireless link on my quest 2 as I am thinking about picking up some no man's sky and the other game mentioned pages ago and playing in VR, and generally expanding my games list.

My network seems to be fine according to the troubleshooter, but my CORE I7-4770K from 2014 is seemingly not going to cut it. Or is my GeForce GTX 1660 Ti the bigger bottleneck to PCVR ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Lockback posted:

Can you get a quest 2 from somewhere other than Best Buy?

I got mine from amazon. In fact they delivered it within 6 hours of ordering which was pretty insane. I ordered at midnight, i had it in my hands @ 5:30 am

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is this for the Oculus store or does it come in via PC requiring pcvr to play?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have no idea how far along I am, I just got the gun but I have been playing for a while.

Picked it up based on awesome reviews but I find the puzzles pretty simple, no need to use parts beyond the next room. Lots of missing story pieces, like the video logs all being corrupted only the last one works. I get they are limited in scope of things but reading notes on your pad get pretty annoying

It's kind of meh so far, but I would not pay full price for it again if I had to do over

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I almost had to look up one of the first puzzles putting the broken terminal together because even though I was doing it right, it wasn't snapping together to acknowledge it. Frustrating

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 21, 2022

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Red matter 2 should not be held as the apex of VR gameplay. Graphics are nice, but the gameplay is really barebomes and immersion is lacking

I almost feel a little mislead by all the OmG!! 1 this game is amazing reviews. I did intentionally not watch them fully as not to spoiler my eventual gameplay

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Picked up on sale :

I expect you to die 2
Among Us
Keep talking and nobody explodes

Among us was for the kids, and 30sec after they tried it I went 'nope' at the public chat someone also mentioned here. My son played with friends in games, not piblic

Keep talking is pretty fun, and a good brother to mario cart and monopoly for ruining relationships around holidays. I don't know how people even dress themselves with how completely DUMB they are when this game is involved. Kidding, but only a little bit. Lots of fun and can be remote as only one person actualy needs VR. I really do suggest printing the (free) manual for reference)

Expect you to die is really really fun, but also really really short. I feel i only spent 2-3 hours total on the whole game, and my first play through got 1/2 the achievements. Great buy but only on a deep deep discount. Not much replay value.

My new computer build should be together in the next week or two, but preparing in my steam cart on sale : No mans sky, Half Life Alyx, and Skyrm VR as a big time sink for the next year :)

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 28, 2022

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

is it good though?

I've already learned to not trust Meta store ratings because they've somehow made Steam user reviews look like Oscar nominations in comparison.

Probably still too expensive for the experience you get. Very disappointed in the game overall

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I can't find the original effort post but in the next few days I'll have my (windows 11, RTX 3070, 13600k) machine up and ready to play all the steam games i bought. What is the path to getting this to play on my meta quest 2?

Virtual desktop (settings to change ? Keymappings to load ? )
I am clutch on WiFi 6 , with plenty of signal. I have had PCVR working via my old janky computer so I know its basically connectable to PC in the house

I just want the least amount of frustration

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

See my post a couple up from yours and disable supersampling in the SteamVR settings immediately lol, I'm on a Quest 2 and 3070 as well and it's solved every problem I was having

oh jeez I see that I totally missed it, thanks!

njsykora posted:

Open Virtual Desktop, connect to PC, launch game in Steam. You shouldn't have to change any settings and the Quest should be detected as your headset and controllers even if you haven't got the Oculus launcher installed. Though in SteamVR's settings turn supersampling off and turn the per-eye resolution down to about 60% to more closely match the Quest's actual resolution.

Short. Sweet. Saved. Thanks as well

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Where can I view my oculus referral link? I follow the page on the site and I get a 'whoops link is broken'

Is it in the meta app at all? It's not obvious

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Anecdotal evidence of 1, but I just put together a new machine with windows 11 pro, 13600k, RTX 3070 and aside from browser defaults making it really hard to get the oculus stuff for the desktop installed, I have not had an issue playing steamVR (after adjusting the mentioned settings).

I have yet to install virtual desktop, but airlink to the computer which is also wireless has worked great so far in HL: Alyx (aside from a warning about low graphics memory which is to be expected from the card i am using)

I have the recently posted humble bundle, and i'll be giving some no man's sky a go as well. Aside from the 12 steps needed to get a one click process working, I have zero issues on this windows version

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Zarlog posted:

Is there an easy way to play Steam VR games on Meta Quest now? I tried a year ago, and the headset needed to be tethered to my computer. I didn't like that one bit, nosiree

Get the oculus app for your PC. Install and activate it which was a slog due to login method and lack of browser hooks. Once that is running then you can download and open steam VR

Scroll back a few pages on the settings to change, but when the oculus app is running, and steam VR is up, then you can go onto the quest 2 itself and use the airlinik. Once enabled it's available in the quick menu like sound and guardian functions

Pair with your PC, and steam VR will acknowledge a headset and two controllers seen. Now you do the delicate dance of airlinik dashboard vs steam dashboard. Once you use airlinik to open steam, you can play the game you want.

The meta button you use to recenter seems to now serve as in game view or flat screen play. At some point I had a pop-up asking if I want to use steam vs Oculus VR dash, which makes you hit a prompt on your PC

The first couple times you play you might want to do it at the PC for those prompts. But I was able to do some light PC web browser work while my family played HL Alyx while the screen was mirrored in the background

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Where does VD sit in the grand scheme of things?

I need oculus sw on my PC
I have airlinik on the quest itself with its own desktop
I have steam VR on the PC, again with a desktop
I have the actual game itself on the PC

Where does it slot in/replace?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have access to a large empty space at work, that a coworker and I want to use as a VR area when we get bored during the day. Aside from the usual things that are nice to have a big play are inz are there any games that specifically want a large area to generate the game from?

There was one app on app labs that claimed to do this, but it was more of a tech demo then actual game.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Are there any gun/golf attachments that aren’t stupidly expensive?

Also is there a guide for modding anywhere?

both are just poles with attachments. The pricey ones have cups and magnets for easy transitions. I'm in the same boat I really don't want to drop $200 for a protube but there does not seem to be cheaper knockoffs or alternatives out there that i have found.

My current plan is to probably 3D print mounts and attach them to a hinged stick, but that is so much effort. $50 would be a no brainer by for me,. maybe even $75. But i have not found those options yet

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
is ITR different on steam vs quest ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
HL:Alyx is fine, but I hate the movement control, I prefer smooth walking vs point and scoot

I -hated- no man's sky in VR because the interface was so odd, but after 10 min(and switching to smooth turn and thumbstick walk) it's absolutely smooth and easy to use . Flying your ship is one of the best experiences if had in VR in a while.

All other games have pros and cons. I love the battle talent run system(jogging your arms) but I sometimes lose immersion trying to block or use the spear. Maybe add some force feedback there?

I expect you to die has the object telekinesis as well, and that took some getting use to

I've learned that in games like Pavlov and similar, movement by thumbstick is fine, but your head look, turn, etc should all be actual body movement. I'm smooth at turns vs side step vs everything. I need more hours in game

Which is why I'm trying to grab a cheap used quest 2 local since my main one is always in use by the kids. Why are there so many scam sellers?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
shopping for used quest 2, and its the classic 'I spent $100 in accessories so you are too!'. One notable exception was a quest that highlighted the games it came with. Am I wrong in thinking that doesnt matter? Games are via meta/ facebook accounts. and if im not using that guy's account, im not getting access to those games?

Just confirming before I low ball some people. $350 for a basic used 128gb quest2 is just absurd, even with your screen shot of it $399 @ best buy. Going rate seems to be $200-$250 with tons for sale @300+ just sitting

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Taima posted:

Oh, that brings up a really good point.

You need a battery source for room scale, don't you?! That really limits the capabilities of the headset, doesn't it?

kiwi strap with one of those absurdly large but thin cell phone backup batteries extends your playtime every very well. Just velcro strap it on and it balances nice

Does anyone have tips/pitfalls for setting up 2 quests in the same house ? The original one is my account, but the new one will be in use mostly for the kids to use vs PCVR use of the other. I want my kid to have his account on it for friends sharing and meetups , but obviously share the games already bought. I have already made his account a sharing one with access.

Do I need to log in at all on the other ? He has had issues just switching accounts and still things connected to me when playing and friend finding

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
battle talent will work up a sweat in the arena modes as well

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
For anyone interested, it was (now) painless to set up meta accounts on multiple quests

Quest 1 has my main account with all the games
Quest 2 also has my account on it

I set up meta accounts (no fb) for my son and logged in on my phone

Quest 2 is paired to my son's meta account

My son's account was allowed to be a sub on quest 1

The bottom line is now he is able to get proper friends invites, join parties as him, not me. This could be because it's multiple quests but previous when it was just the one it sucked. Also at the time meta sans FB was new and didn't work

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You guys aren't playing nearly enough. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th set already since July. So much so I am trying to decide if the hand straps or charging station is more worth it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have an rma for my left controller due to thumbstick, and I was wondering where the hell it was. Until I read the fine print of the email and apparently I need to send my stuff in first, then they take a few days to decide and then send me a replacement

Not interested in being down a controller over Xmas with family playing on the VR. Kinda poopy considering they make a big deal on sending my stuff in or they charge me full price

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
No? I bought from Amazon and dealt with it that way. I have a local marketplace additional unit I'm dealing with as it comes up

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
People want 300-350 but they seem to be going for $200 -250 locally.

Pcvr is absolutely amazing with the right game. It's much more annoying to launch 3 programs and sync them vs just starting a game, but the quality and expansion of content is there

I intend to spend a few hours in no man's sky again today

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Did B&S ever publish it's update? I was disappointed when I first got it that is was a demo only and a big update was coming soon' but I gave up waiting. Battle talent met my needs for the short term

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Too many native VR games are toned down versions then what is available on PCVR

Red matter 2 was billed as a perfect equal to an already great game, with great reviews. It came out completely mediocre and lots of reviews here reflect that.

Cooking simulator is supposedly an awesome game on PC, but the VR port is a basic, overly simplistic version of the game on quest. When I read and see videos of the 'real' game Im disappointed.

That said, beat saber is a good self contained game, although the pricing for extra songs is simply absurd. Super hot has a faithful port and a handful of other games have been daily plays in my family

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

uh...

RM2 had slightly better reviews than RM1

also better user scores

I also agree with that. How is 'completely mediocre' ? It looks better, it is longer, it has a lil' more variation in puzzles. I am struggling to think what person would think the game is mediocre AND also think the first one was 'great'.

I got tricked? It's similar to bonelabs most recently. Game of the century, a must buy, in fact, buy it twice and it will cure all your problems, etc.

After the 'real' reviews came out it was just okay and only worth it at steep discount. I believed when it was said RM2 was a revolution from the first one and it just wasn't worth it at full price. Even on discount I would be hard pressed to recommend it

Never again.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You don't know him, just his social media team :)

I had sort of the same conversation with my wife last night since my youngest joined my other son, and my nephew with his new VR set in gorilla tag. My older son has a couple friends he plays online from school and together can form a self contained party.

Based on the social and chat safeguards talked about earlier in the thread, I was happy to let them all play unrestricted there vs vr chat or other random game. Especially with the nephew since I was the one who gifted him the headset and this was his first day trying stuff out

It's a bad look if the first day has racist or autistic screeching drowning out your speaker

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Re: quest 2 controller issues

My nephew seems to have broken his left controller? Doing this remotely but it seems the controller pops in and out of being seen, which seems to me a battery/power issue

It probably did get banged hard (drat you gorilla tag :) ) and I'm not sure what to troubleshoot here. Returning the whole setup via Amazon would be a hassle and replacement is unlikely. Meta is the next step but I don't want to ;burn' a replacement on a device literally days old

Anyone have a similar issue?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I got a few of the alternative accessories on my 2nd quest and they have been hot or miss.

That cheap head strap/battery combo listed a few pages ago is just 'okay'. The fit is not comfortable compared to the kiwi, but it's better then stock. It seems to work better for the kids then my big head

Does the battery need to be turned on? I played some PCVR and it drained the set pretty quick and didn't seem to use the extended battery at all. And I wonder if I can passthrough charge, meaning charge the battery while connected to the headset and have the headset charge too

I also got a cheaper 'uaed' version of the Anker charger, and while a bit finicky, seems to work nicely. Except if you have anything but a stock quest 2. The silicone socks need to be removed for the contacts to hit, and the headset charger plug needs to come in and out for use with an extended battery plug. It seems that the heavier strap also makes it sit funny in the stand.

All in all it's a min longer to charge your headset with swapping plugs, and it relegated the controller charging to only when it gets low, which is kind of defeating the purpose of a stand that charges.

I have an idea to put a magnetizing end on the battery wire to keep it swappable and consistent, and I am working on a couple ideas to use the charging battery with a thicker handle. It's just contacts that need a passthrough and I have some ideas to 3d print.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Morter posted:

I have no problem with AirLink but starting SteamVR games-

My process is:

-- Have the quest app open on my PC, and usually steam open as well
-- Connect via airlink and be in the quest dashboard, the one with the circular white control panel

From that desktop, I connect to my local PC and start the steam VR app.

I then go into the steam VR dashboard and launch my game (in this case no man's sky)

I am probably doubling my efforts, but that is solid for me everytime.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Police quest back in the day was infamous for having a random encounter you need to trigger on day x that furthers the story on day x+2 or something

Miss the chance that first day and the game was unpassable

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So a while back I got one of those Anker charging docks for the quest 2, and aside from some overly sensitive placement, it's pretty neat.

The issue I have is the strap I use has an integrated battery, which uses a wire to connect to the existing charging port. The Anker uses a small magnetic coupling to charge when it's in the dock, and it's getting annoying to unplug the adaptor and store the mini thing and not lose it when gaming

I see I can easily grab more, but they all seem to be matched pairs, as in the 'male' side matches to a specific 'female' side and they don't seem to interchange brand to brand. Before I waste time and money trial and erroring it, has anybody found good replacement adaptors that let me keep the magnetic port on and just make all my wires simply use it?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So one fun thing i discovered about the anker charging dock is that the magnetic connection, very common around USB charging stuff, is the opposite polarization to literally every magnetic USB charger port sold.

And anker doesn't sell the cable or any sub parts.

So if your idea (like mine) was to put a magnetic cable on all your things to use the charger dock with other attached stuff so you dont have to remove the very little usb part and can't find a replacement? You are SOL.

If a problem ever comes up or i lose it im just replacing that internal cord entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Roadie posted:

Given that there is no standard spec for those magnetic USB connectors, trying to mix use of them between companies just means you'll probably short something and burn your house down. So it's a good thing that Anker doesn't let you do that.

It's a magnet with a contact, and USB voltages are well regulated.

I don't know how all these places coordinated which magnet pole is on what side,, but they seem to. All my random magnetic ones work with ever other one, provided I have the same shape (currently on round, I previously had thin oval)

Anker, in their infinite wisdom, has that polarity reversed. If you lose that little USB insert, you are done.

What is more likely to happen: Mary Sue USA buys another $100 dock or just tosses the whole thing. Or like me I'll connect a different end on it because I have a somewhat grasp on electrical connections