Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

:eng101:

quote:

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of August 8th, 2022.
:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Holy poo poo. That bundle is basically a good chunk of what I wanted to pick up. Thanks for posting that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So anybody else finally unpack the quest 2 they bought right before the price hike, make a meta account and then have your headset fail somewhere in its first update cycle and end up with a never ending pulsing blue meta logo?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Its probably still doing stuff.

Every single time I boot mine up and update it anymore its like that since I'm so far out of date most of the time.

It had been like 3 hours. I tried the old 'turn it off and back on' thing and it stayed like that. Meta support says I now have to leave it running until it runs out of power, charge it while off 4 hours and then maybe it'll work?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Headset update:

Yeah it's hosed and they're going to have me ship it back to them.

VR was a fun experience for the ~5 minutes I used the setup menu to connect it to my wifi. It was super trippy to just have a weird fake world with some controllers in it that were actually there and able to be touched.

I hope to at least double my VR time next headset!

I think I also understand how that other dude got like 3 or 4 'new' headsets that all had signs of being used before. I didn't really do anything to gently caress this one up (though I might've eventually made it worse a few hours in), so I can't possibly be the only one shipping back a very gently used headset.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Alright, any device that has "perform a factory reset" as part of the setup process should have its designer fired and blackballed from the industry permanently

poo poo man, I broke my quest 2 by turning it on for the first time, connecting it to my wifi and then leaving it alone for 2 hours.

All I'm saying is that if we're kicking people out of the industry permanently, there's going to be a queue.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Dang why did I break my policy of buying any object from a company that doesn't offer phone support. Facebook support has a two business day lag time between interactions.

Did you try the live chat on their website? I spent maybe 5 minutes in the queue and got to talk to people who certainly weren't pretending to have western names 24/7. As support people go, they seemed absolutely fine to me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

So Meta Support seems to indicate that pairing the headset to my phone requires going to the internet?

To my headset which hasn't even been connected to my wifi yet...

:psyduck:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Quest 2 shitshow continues. Guy literally tells me that there's chunks of their userbase who haven't been able to pair their headsets to anything for weeks. I wonder how many returns they've had from that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How do I track frame rate / all that other stuff with an airlinked quest 2? Night 1 I went about 15 minutes before I started feeling queasy and had to stop. This afternoon I got maybe 5 minutes into H3VR before I had to stop because I moved wrong once and immediately had to vomit.

I want to see if I'm extremely sensitive to VR motion sickness or if there's something wonky or laggy with my airlink setup that's making it worse.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Go to your Oculus folder then under "/support/oculus-diagnostics" you can run the Oculus debug tool. Under that, you can enable "Performance” from the dropdown list for “Visible HUD” and then enable the "Oculus Link Detailed" one (or something like that) in the performance category. Launch a game over Airlink and look at what the graph in the upper left is doing on the HUD it overlays. It'll say something like "Encoder/Vfer/Decode" under it.

If you're seeing like big spikes then something is laggy.,If you're seeing red spikes up there, that's the encoder, and it means your GPU/CPU isn't keeping up with whatever you're trying to do. If you see green spikes, it's transfer latency and it's the network. If you're seeing blue spikes, that's something to do with the headset decoding and it really shouldn't happen as far as I know if the encoding is being done right. But maybe it can if you set some custom settings way too high or something.

Thanks for this. I checked it out and there's literally nothing wrong with the system. I'm just queasier than average.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That looks a lot thinner and lighter, which is good for comfort, but probably not good for long battery life.

Fine for me since I can't do more than like 30m in VR now, but that'd be hard to replace a monitor with unless you're tethered to a charging station.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

I really hope the USB wifi6 dongle they show in the clip of that $99 device isn't completely identical to

But if it is, I'm going to laugh a lot.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Snackmar posted:

Wait.. so is the Quest Pro not meant for games at all?

I just realized that, in addition to not coming with a charging stand or a link cable, it also doesn't come with the "full light blocker" (shipping December!)..

Like if I order this am I not meant to play Beat Saber on it?

EDIT: oh wait, it does apparently come with a charger - still wonder about suitability for games

$120 for a loving USB3 cable?

Jesus christ.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096X9W4J4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There you go man, I saved you $100 and you get two of them.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah kicking in VR sounds like a recipe for broken toes

Also just plain old falling down. I've seen tons of people eat poo poo and face plant trying to kick in real life and these were certified kick enthusiasts.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Vermillion looks neat. How does the pressure stuff work? Their site says:

quote:

The pressure you apply with your brush shapes the paint on the canvas. Leave a thick layer of paint with a light touch, or flatten it down with pressure

But I'm waving a wand around in the sky with absolutely nothing to touch. Is pressing hard just shoving the controller deeper into where the surface of the canvas to be? How does that feel to you as someone who has used it?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks to the person who recommended Vermilion. I set my wife up to get her VR Bob Ross on and she was at it until the quest ran out of battery.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How do you go about adding external windows into a VR game? Like streamers being able to read their chat or something like that?

I'm playing DCS in Occulus VR mode and I'd like to be able to add a window with like a PDF viewer or maybe a youtube window so I can reference a tutorial while still wearing my face toaster.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Actually this also illustrates one of my beefs in general about the index controllers. They rely so much on being "intuitive" that it's never explained or made clear how, exactly, you're supposed to actually use them in some cases. Exhibit fuckin' A at square one in Boneworks. Also, resting thumb on the touchpad feels like a 100% natural place to rest it, but that fucks up menu scrolling bigtime with no indication of what's happening and you just have to figure that out for yourself, etc.

This is a huge beef for me with VR in general. I think since there's no single layout for a VR controller that most games have just gone 'Good luck, motherfucker' and avoided telling you what your controllers do at all.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I also got the BoboVR strap thing because another one of you mentioned it and it's way the gently caress better than what came with the headset.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B3RWQZGS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It's $35. The 3rd party addon market for Quest headset accessories reminds me of all the bullshit Gameboy accessories that people started shoving out in the 90s.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yep. I would 1000% rather cut ships into bits while listening to a podcast or youtube video in the background instead of anything the game calls a story.

VR might be kind of :barf: because it's a very 6DOF kind of game with no fixed frame of reference, but maybe it's slow paced enough to not be too bad.

If any of you have MS's gamepass for PC, Shipbreaker is included for free.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 2, 2023

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
If you've got a wifi 6 ap either in the room or a room away, Airlink is great. Airlink is also the only thing you can use if you end up wanting to try the OpenComposite runtime instead of using SteamVR (which I would recommend). Virtual Desktop is good too; you'll have to buy the app on the quest 2 store for it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

BrianRx posted:

I picked up an HP Reverb 2 for 50% off and have been playing with it for a few days. So far I've tried Boneworks and Rogue Squadron's VR mode. They're fun, but I can play for about 30 minutes at a time, about five minutes less than games seem to have checkpoints so I'm usually pretty uncomfortable by the time I take the headset off. I don't really get nauseous, I think it has more to do with eye strain. My depth perception is wrecked for about ten minutes afterward and I feel like I've been focusing on the lenses of my eye glasses rather than the light coming through them.

Is this addressable in some way or is it just how some people react to VR? I can adjust the focal length but it's more like trying slightly different lense strengths at the eye doctor but none of them are completely right. Things directly in the center of my vision are in sharp focus but everything else is slightly blurry. Overall it's fine, but I'm already starting to avoid playing because of the discomfort and it'd be a bummer if this headset ended up in my "seemed like a good idea at the time" drawer.

It takes time to get used to VR. 30 minutes might be too much to start with and Boneworks is especially vomit-inducing.

I don't have a Reverb, but did you set the IPD distance on it correctly?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sininu posted:

Can somebody explain the appeal of AR/mixed reality? I see articles and videos all talking about it like it's the huge selling point, but I just can't see the point at all.

I like the experience of VR. Actual 3D is just way cooler than flat images on a monitor.

I don't like being completely sealed off from my real world environment. I'd like to be able to do 3D stuff while still being able to talk to my wife, take a drink, put my mouse down without having to hunt around for it like a blind man, etc.

Now this gen of tech is probably still too bulky to be really giving me what I want, but if we can get that down to like a pair of ski goggles, I will absolutely wear that way the gently caress more than is healthy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Don't wanna buy a VR whose name is related to :barf:.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I just watched John Wick and now I want to shoot computer people in the face. I have H3G which would be perfect if hotdogs had faces, but they don't. Already gone through Superhot VR. Is hitman 3's VR any good? Any other suggestions?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

quote:

I'm wondering if the blogger has a form of epilepsy.

Is 'completely making poo poo up' a common symptom of epilepsy?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So not even 1% of Americans bought whatever the gently caress it is you're talking about.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Edit: Day late and a dollar short.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What's the best VR driving game on steam? I'm not real concerned about driving well or necessarily realistically, I just wanna go fast.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Sweet! Thank you for the advice.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That's really all it takes? Why don't they advertise it as a feature on the store page?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Boneworks? Blade and Sorcery?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Do people have issue with the guardian stuff not popping up? The Quest 2 boundary thing has never let me down so far.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

TIP posted:

did you just google average arm length and not think about it at all? :lmao:

those would be some tiny rear end arms, the top google result is actually talking bicep size

Roadie was a kobold this whole time and just blew his cover.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I do that, mentally I think the breeze hitting me helps with motion sickness too.

It definitely helps me. Motion sickness and overheating seem to compound each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the same process that concludes that the outside world is moving weird, so it's time to vomit up whatever poison we ate also considers sudden rises in body temp the same way.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How's the live action footage going to mesh with the VR? My 3D video knowledge is limited to the same very specific niche that every else's is, but those only work for rotating the POV not translating it around the room.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It loses 16 billion a year?

How?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Where can you get LASIK for 60 bucks

At Hollywood Upstairs Medical Eye Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokxeFXjN70
It seems the vampire game is basically Dishonored VR. At least in concept, we will see how good is the execution.

Man how pissed off is your management team if you have to launch a horror game on November 2nd.