Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Last weekend, I was asked to bring something to game evening with friends. I decided to do some googling to look for alternatives for "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"(never really found it to work well in a group), and came across a game I had never heard of before: Puppet Fever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPvR0TbyIQ

It's basically charades. The player with the headset gets something he needs to imitate with a number of puppets and tools. The other players can watch using a companion app on Android or iOS what is being acted out. Summed up: It really made the evening and everyone got into it really fast, especially after streaming to the television. None of the other players had done much with VR before, but were able to pick it up really fast after a single demonstration. It works really intuitive, and people understood quickly how to improvise and come up with tricks to play things out.

Most surprising to me: it's for free on the Quest(with additional words for DLC).

Just wanted to share it. I have a feeling it isn't that well known and it really should stand out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Have to admit that I'm having trouble with Pistol Whip, although it feels that I'll be able to get through it with enough practice. I assume that the red dot next to the score indicates that I hit an enemy at the right time? Nonetheless, I'm really digging it so far, especially when I really feel I'm getting into the song and dropping enemies left and right.

Also, I started doing what I saw most youtube videos do and just use both hands for one controller, instead of shooting one-handed. That really made things easier for me.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Just played around a bit with the Oculus Link Beta after getting a Anker PowerLine USB cable.

In hindsight, I'm really not sure what I was expecting. Possibly a fairly bad experience that would feel as if it was streamed or something like WMR which tends to be a bit laggy and uncomfortable. But frankly, my first impressions are that it pretty much feels like any other headset. The tracking is good, framerate was good, the visuals are good. This is absolutely perfect if I want to play something like Elite: Dangerous(where setting things up for the Vive is generally more of a hassle for me), or want to bring my laptop somewhere to show off VR.

Frankly, I don't expect that I will be using the WMR any time soon after this.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Finished Vader: Immortal Episode 3 yesterday. From the first episode, the series felt like a theme park ride to me with actors herding you along to the next event, and that still continues here. I think it lasted about 40 minutes, so I think the whole series likely clocks in about 90 minutes. Some cool set pieces here and there and an okay-ish finale. Overall, as a Star Wars fan, I really enjoyed the series. If it wasn't for the franchise, I likely wouldn't have picked it up and/or enjoyed it as much.

Some more spoilerrific thoughts...

- Boo at hinting that we'd be controlling an army and then passing it along to another character. I thought that it would be the main new thing, and while I wasn't expecting a full-fledged RTS, it already felt cool just to point my laser sword.

- I really can't say why, but just using telekinesis to place those batteries in place just feels so freaking cool.

- Chase in the tunnel felt a bit long. The droid banter also got a bit tiring after awhile.

- The action bits in the Mustafar castle were my favourite part. Not too difficult, but the range of options just made it fun. Grabbing rifles, throwing detonators, etc. The final boss in the TIE Fighter was also surprisingly fun and suitably epic. It went a bit too fast at the end, but did we get to Immortan Joe him there?

- As for the final fight with Vader... okay? I don't think anything could've remotely lived up to the expectations of dueling him. And having your ghost buddy just pausing the game to literally tell you what to do was a bit disappointing. I already noticed where I was, I saw my sword laying there, I was already going to pull it to me and push it in there. While I can understand that they do it to make sure that the player follows the story along, I would've liked it more if that was a fallback if you didn't do the sequence right.

- Didn't quite understand how I was able to survive at the end, I suppose have Ghost Buddy to thank for that as well? I did appreciate the 'And the adventure continues' ending.

Also, I didn't expect that the Lightsaber Dojo wouldn't suck me into it for a third time, as I didn't expect it to offer much new, but then I unlocked wielding two sabers at the same time... and I can be fairly easy-to-please, so that'll likely get me to play it some more.

It's just a fun Star Wars experience and I'm really happy that they went ahead and did this. I don't think they set out to create a revolutionary game, but something to demonstrate what kind of storytelling you can do in VR. I've used the first episode as an introduction to the Quest for some people, and the fact that it's really easy in bringing you from point A to point B just really got them into it.

I do want to to play through the whole experience at some point and see how it feels in one long run. While I'm assuming it's not possible, it would be nice if there'd be an option where you could easily flow from one episode into the other without having to change apps.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Can anyone with the Knuckles prototype confirm if they've received HL: A? It hasn't popped up in my library yet.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So last week, after a late night code session and experimenting with hand tracking in WebXR(and not having a lot of success), I woke up the next day with a fairly weird concept. After another week of cobbling on it on-and-off, it resulted in this...

https://twitter.com/rvdleun/status/1252186252683743233

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k0SZ3ewLTY
So KatVR is going to release a VR treadmill for consumers. Have to admit that I've already made a pledge, albeit with the thought that I might still cancel it. My expectations are that it wouldn't be too ground-breaking, but this is something I'd really like to experiment with. And this seems fairly affordable. (and makes for good business expenses)

Anyone have any experience with their products?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Gort posted:

Feels like a big-rear end treadmill is unlikely to be supported by many games 'cause so few people will have one.
From what I've read, the treadmill can also basically act like a big controller. So it can translate the movement to one of the sticks, which is how they're able to add support for games like Alyx and Skyrim VR.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I have low rear end ceilings in my apartment and am interested in checking out some games that I can play seated without worrying about smashing my hands into my ceiling. Any suggestions?

edit: how much movement/space is required to play HL: Alyx? I want to put my 3080 to good use but if it takes more movement than Pistol Whip I might have to wait until I have more space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcL-8NT1y_0

VTOL VR is my general go-to suggestions for anyone wanting to do some seated gameplay. It may take a tutorial or two to fully understand the basics, but once you get what most of the buttons do, it's an unparalleled experience. Easily my favourite VR game of 2020. It's also something I never suspected of actually working well(controlling a plane with virtual controls), but it does.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

explosivo posted:

I have no idea why but I've always had problems believing the "overwhelmingly positive" reviews for this game, what is it exactly that makes this so good? Is it just that immersive to play?
That's definitely it for me. I'm really not that much into flight simulators, but it just scratches a particular itch. Having to reach out to flip a couple of switches, press some buttons to configure the screens in front of me, then push a button on the helmet to activate AR Mode is just immersive on a level that I haven't really had in any other game. It all fits together to become a unique experience. While you won't be able to immediately take off without going through the tutorial, it doesn't feel as complex as you'd expect when you initially look at all the controls. At a certain point, most if it gets pretty self-explanatory and you just go through the motions to take off, arm weapons, etc.

It just feels unique which is why I likely adore it. I do have a HOTAS specifically for Elite: Dangerous and Star Wars: Squadrons, but the experience of playing those games is just vastly different due to the controls being around you.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZREJfvxmdo
Came across this video earlier and I think it gives a good idea on what's it about. Skip ahead to 1:30 to see things from his POV.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Armitage_Shanks posted:

my passthrough environment (the one were you can see outside when going around the menus.. not the passthrough double tap shortcut) is missing on my Quest 2 now all of a sudden.. rebooted it and it is just not an option available. Any one else get this?

I had the same issue awhile back. SkarredGhost recently uploaded a video to explain how to get it back...
https://twitter.com/SkarredGhost/status/1399414621396627460
It's basically an icon in Quick Actions now. Think it's a bit weird, I think it's a great feature to enter a VR app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Reminds me quite a bit of BattleGroupVR that I've been playing quite a bit as of late. I enjoyed Bridge Commander, but when VR became a thing, this is one of those games I really wanted to play. The controls work really well, and just seeing the ships duking it outside is rush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQLncTJBHXI