Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Truga posted:

Oh my god, that was the perfect "just chill out game but also I wish I could do this in VR" game for me.

I would down to learn more about car repair this way, but I'm assuming it's not a very realistic sim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://store.steampowered.com/app/931310/Airplane_Mode/

Release a quest version so you can play this while on an airplane, you cowards.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Prey got a random update for vr multi-player in the Rouge lite dlc. Hoping to try that soon, anyone else give it a go yet?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Also my biggest HL2 pet peeve. OK so no cutscenes but instead characters talk at me in-game and I can't do anything until their done. Yeah, way better then skippable cutscenes, good job everyone.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SCheeseman posted:

It's hard (admittedly not impossible) to achieve an unbroken narrative while also allowing people to skip chunks of it.

Seems like a design oversight to never think "oh people might play this a second time and want to skip story beats they already know"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Am I only one with a rift that has steam vr launch everything so forward is flipped 180 to be now facing away from the sensors? What in the flying gently caress? I've tried Open VR to flip it back..re-running the steam room setup. I'm entering the gently caress vr phase of it at this point and I don't know if it's oculuses fault or steams anymore.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Yeah, except OpenVR doesn't display properly at all for me. I can go into the offset settings, but I can't actually save them or apply them because the gui formatting is all hosed up for..some reason? I thought oh let me go into discord for OpenVR and get some help there, but apparently discord is completely broken today too.

I know I'm just venting but like, this is the kinda bullshit that puts people off from VR. I have one brand headset and that works perfectly with their stuff and their locked in store and all that garbage..there's a built in recenter tool, the headset faces the sensors ya know, like it would make sense to.

Use the competition and you're at the mercy of the program having a recenter option..orrr maybe you're like the game I bought I've been trying to run properly for shy of 3 hours now where I can recenter but the game throws an error that I'm facing away from the sensors because that's what steam is telling it.

I get why people poo poo on PCVR...I shouldn't need to rely on a third party tool for any of this. Vice versa for revive on rift titles using steamvr hardware. gently caress this hard.

e: what im dealing with

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 7, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

homeless snail posted:

SteamVR grabs your bounds from Oculus, but you should be able to still run SteamVR room setup and set it up that way without any third party stuff. Just when it asks you to point at your monitor, point the opposite direction if you want front to be towards your monitors. SteamVR's designed around a 360 roomscale setup so it doesn't even really take into consideration that your sensors might be set up differently, and just puts front where it thinks it would be most convenient

The SteamVR recenter button is on the bottom of the SteamVR menu, but it only works in seated games.

I've tried this multiple time too, I've tried pointing the headset in the opposite direction during the standing setup, I've tried editing the room scale setup and flipping the direction in the advanced edit mode. It doesn't matter what I do, I'm always facing away from the sensors in steam VR..the sensors themselves in steam VR view look like they are in front of me, facing the total opposite direction. OpenVR lets me rotate this, but it doesn't save anything because it doesn't display properly and I have no idea why (see my last post)..Meanwhile everything works fully, my position is totally fine in oculus home/store/any oculus launched anything. I just can't get steamVR to let me face the correct direction and it's driving me insane at this point. I'm also out of the refund window of the thing I'm trying to get running now, so that's a nice little insult to injury.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Last time I had my CV1 was end of 2019. Went to set it up last week and they (facebook) bricked the headset on windows 7 with some firmware push.
After a day and a half of trying all the things other win7 rift havers had to do like rolling back to old nvidia drivers, rolling back to old oculus installers, all that fun stuff I gave up, shrank my boot drive and dual booted windows 10.

I'm fully aware win7 is EOL, this rig is going on 10 years old and will be rebuilt sometime this year or next, but there's something really lovely about bricking the hardware until you upgrade the OS when the thing ran with no issues before they forced the change on win7...

All it really did was make sure I never give oculus more money when I go to upgrade headsets in the future. I still have legacy software I need for work that doesn't have win10 support and most likely never will, but I guess I can go gently caress myself. I'm going to finish up alyx, flatten this win 10 install and put this thing back on a shelf to collect dust. Hopefully there's other options on the market in a year or two so I can avoid these clowns.

Not even going to go into deading the gear after the contract expired with samsung to get people on the go instead...my dumbass had a decent gear library of paid apps that never got ported to anything else (guess I'm never finishing lands end)..

e: apparently you can emulate go apps on the quest, i'd rather punch myself in the dick then buy a quest and have that eol'd too. Fool me twice

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 18, 2021

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried running those programs in compatibility mode for Windows 7 at all?

Yeah, no dice..I don't know what they rely on that breaks in win10 but I'm kind of at my limit on troubleshooting and the company is long since gone. Sadly the stupid plugin is a key part of my workflow.

I'm sure I'll be doing the reverse next build where I have this dumb small win 7 partition just for one thing. I'm just salty that I'm in that situation for VR of all things right now, and I know for a fact that people that have figured out the magic combo of downgrades on win7 have 0 issues still running the cv1..forced bricking is some total bullshit

e: to clarify, right around the big ole WINDOWS 7 SUPPORT ENDS JAN 2020 is when i last used it, no problems, worked in everything.
I guess whenever I connected it and updated the next time, the firmware push was the thing, and the headset no longer displayed..anything. Just flashed the proximity sensor. Tried openvr instead, tried steam vr, windows just didn't see the thing as anything, display or not. People that were able to rollback to before that firmware had a working headset again.

Being able to brick it beyond oculus home was the straw that broke me

and, it worked again as soon as I had a windows 10 boot. i can't imagine pissing off windows 7 rift owners in an already niche market was the move, i can't be the only one that will never buy their hardware again

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 18, 2021

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SCheeseman posted:

They already effectively eol'd the original Quest, that Resident Evil 4 VR port is Quest 2 exclusive. Facebook haven't been great with long term product support. That said, couldn't you run Windows 7 in a VM or something?

true, in theory, i don't know if the legacy plug in i need would break in a vm, but i'd give this a shot first when i end up switching to win 10/new rig. either way i'm going to end up running two os's thanks to software but i'm less pissed about the one i need to make money then the headset run by a billion dollar corporation

to be fair palmer turned out to be a chud so i don't know if we wouldn't have some other crap to deal with had he not sold to facebook

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol at swearing off a product because it doesn’t work on windows 7 in the year of our lord 2021.

Microsoft was practically throwing windows 10 keys at anyone who bothered to press the update button a few years back.

This ones on you, friend.

yeah, i mean, if you actually read what i wrote though, of why forced bricking sucks...but sure, defend facebook

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sure forced bricking sucks but it’s not like continued support of windows 7 requires zero effort either.

Where should they spend that effort? Supporting the extremely niche within a niche within a niche group of people still running a CV1 on windows 7? Or just, you know, not do that? Especially since it’s next to zero effort for those windows 7 users to upgrade to 10 and be right back into support?

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill here.

I would agree with you if the people that downgraded one firmware version before the one that bricked the thing they bought had issues running things. But they don't..so without a reason other than "we just don't want to support this" that doesn't work for me when the answer is to paperweight the thing in everything system-wide outside of their dumb garden.

And the reality is, this cv1 will go next to the gear headset i bought from them, that was also EOL'd even though it could/can still work fine, had a decent community, and a decent library that wasn't ported. I'm not expecting anything from facebook, the gear thing made that very obvious, especially when it was to push the go, which was then supplanted by pushing the quest..you see the pattern.

So, two headsets that will collect dust, and I'll just buy hardware for the next go from valve, or htc, or anyone that isn't facebook...oh well.

It's weird that all the moves to wall vr in and corner it like exclusives (which work with injectors on other things anyway go figure) are just doing the opposite of pushing for wide adoption..maybe let VR get to a place of ubiquity before pullin' those dick moves

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe I don’t understand your issue fully. Can you not just upgrade to windows 10 and be 100% functional again? Is there a part of it I’m missing?

As someone who still owns a CV1 :hfive:, and a quest 2, it works perfect in windows 10.

i'm dual booting right now entirely for vr to continue to use the headset that worked fine in the os i was using the last time i used it.

on a machine that is due for an upgrade, on a headset that is due for an upgrade.

the way this went, guess what company i'm not buying that headset from

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think you guys are missing the key thing here, people that sidestepped the bricking firmware can still use the hardware with no issues on windows 7 still. I wasn't so lucky, even though I tried every step in every order possible short of a full system wide restore point..at that point it was like, ok fine, i'll shrink and dual boot windows 10 if that's the amount of effort needed to unbrick this.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cowcaster posted:

install linux, problem solved

1- is that av al columbia???

2- i would laugh pretty hard if linux support for oculus software was better than windows..is..that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Internet Explorer posted:

Planned obsolescence is not a company saying they won't support a 3rd party's solution anymore. Facebook is not selling you a new version of Windows, or a new VR headset that will work with Windows 7. They are simply saying that they will no longer support running their software/hardware on an OS that is 10 years old. This isn't some surprising thing, that's how this stuff works. Technology stacks are just that, stacks, that have certain requirements at each level, and if your foundational stack is not modern, don't be surprised when modern things don't work well.

As far as me being a dick for saying find another product or adjust your workflow... ah... what? That's the reality of the situation. It's time to find a new product or adjust their workflow. I'm sorry if that's a dickish thing to say.

I don't think anyone is missing that. Facebook is likely using new features that are only available on Windows 10, when they pushed an update that uses (or is planning on using) those features, that makes it not work on Windows 7 devices. If you uninstall that firmware, then it keeps working.

Is this where I post the 17 step removal process for every piece of oculus software in your system, then the reinstall of the software but replacing the folders with older folders if you're lucky enough to have been able to purge everything and the stars align..

if they are doing an api thing where in the future (which again, i did mention i'm looking to upgrade this headset multiple times) i'd be locked out of things that need that api to run great, i agree..what i don't agree with is bricking the hardware itself so it can't be used on all the things that don't need newer apis that exist and i bought from them...let alone things outside of their walled thing on steam

i'm not surprised to see people defend forced bricking, but it's still disappointing..that's not..you're a consumer too..don't you..:psyduck: eh you know what, whatever.

vote with your dollars i guess... for the ninth time.. when i upgrade this machine most likely in 6 months tops, the headset upgrade with it won't be anything facebook has made nor would it be in the future..i'm not great with being told how i can use the thing i bought..maybe if i licensed/rented the hardware and didn't own it..sure?...meh to that...i don't think they'll end up being the only choice in the future either even if they are the highest market share among the other hardware companies