Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I get it GTA modding dude, a proper VR GTA5 would need to be completely reworked control-wise and that's completely unreasonable to expect. Don't pretend that look to aim isn't garbo tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tip posted:

It's already been done, the GTA:Vive mod had full hand controller support. I don't think it's getting updated anymore, and probably no longer works properly, but it looked pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVfCTpUUi4

That does look fun, but the fact that half the video is waving a machine around gun inside a helicopter to aim missiles kinda underscores there's much more work to be done than just making the gun point where the controller does.

Regardless if the dude don't wanna he don't wanna. I hope someone else gives it a shot.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

AgentF posted:

Works amazingly in Vox Machinae, unless we're talking about something else.
Sorry for being dismissive of the idea outright, the videos of that game look sick as hell. I'm guessing it works well there because the game is making you do other stuff with your hands to pilot the mech and there's already a disconnect between yourself and the guns involved.

I just don't think its a a great fit for GTA because its a crime simulator you should be able to do expressive stuff like hold your gun sideways and blind fire from behind cover and shoot in the air to frighten pedestrians.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Welp the new steam library update apparently removed the option to show only VR titles, literally the only sorting option I ever used.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NRVNQSR posted:

It's all theoretically more configurable now. You can create a collection and set it to automatically contain all VR-supporting games in your library.

Yeah but before I just had to click on a drop-down and select 'vr' I didn't need to configure anything. The drop down isn't even gone I can filter by games or software the same as before. Its genuinely frustrating how often these UI overhauls just drop established features for no clear reason.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh nice. Its still dumb that they moved it though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Can confirm, Pistol Whip whips.

Definitely feels a bit like both Superhot and Beat Saber despite playing nothing like either. Its a half decent workout with all the ducking and weaving too.

edit: Pretty sure the game does rank you at the end of each level, unless there's another explanation as to why my score counter always has a C at the end?

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
thought so, cool.

I read the Ars Technica article and I can't speak to the technical issues myself, works faultlessly for me on Rift S, running the Steam version, steam VR actually booted for the first ever time so I had two virtual living rooms going on in the background even. I do agree with some points though, I played through the first few stages on Easy and I had no Idea there was even a timing element to the gameplay at all (hence the C ranks lol). That could do with some tutorializing at the very least.

Its definitely unfair to describe the game as 'early access' though, its pretty standard content wise for an indie VR title,post release content really only sweetens the deal for me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EbolaIvory posted:

Shoot to the literal beat of 1/8th notes. (Pretty sure its 1/8ths atm).

Thats it. Keep to the beat. Helps knowing the songs, which is what is probably throwing a lot of people off.
its not a case of being thrown off its a case of literally not being aware I should be timing my shots at all. I was having the time of my life doing John Wick poo poo without worrying about the score anyway so I don't think its exactly a fatal flaw.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Gort posted:

If you were going to show off an Oculus Quest to a sixty-year old, what would you show them?

Google earth.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Calipark posted:

Are normal DisplayPort cables used in every other headset fiber optic too? I don't get why the Link cable needs that when every other wired headset uses regular rear end display cables with no latency issues.
I'm guessing the usb cable has lower bandwidth than a standard displayport (largely due to the quest's hardware I assume, displayport over usb is a thing apparently) so either a standard copper usb either adds a small amount of latency or Oculus want to sell you some gold plated cables because people will buy them.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Not suprising in the slightest that people are mad about Valve finally making another halflife thing but its for VR only. God only knows what would have happened if they stuck a 3 at the end of the title lol.

Excited to have a company with infinty money do something in VR, but unless its somehow as groundbreaking as HL2 was I feel like people are going to be disapointed no matter what. I'm not much of a Valve fan though tbh, don't get me wrong Portal 2 had great writing but outside of that Halflife is like the most boring thing to me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've only played a little of the first act in The Under Presents, the gameplay in the mystery boat portion reminds me most of Tacoma. Progress and rewind time to follow multiple threads as the story unfolds. I've not encountered any way to actually interact with the story yet.

If the game was just the Time Boat I would be happy with my purchase.

But its not and after I finished the first act I was taught magic by a group of ghosts then we tried to help a woman with a Cat head make up with a very big crab. This game is amazing, I'm glad I gave it a go while they're still doing these weird little quests with live actors.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its focused on dodging rather than cover but Pistol Whip is both an on rails shooter and good as heck.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The worst thing about Tetris effect is that the PSVR preorder bonus was soundtrack sampler but then the official OST took a whole year to come out.

Nuts and Gum posted:

It reminds me of Elite Beat Agents, but VR and better.
I read this and reflexively started throwing money at my monitor.

Reading this thread is bad for my bank account.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Half-life games have traditionally been focus tested to hell and back to guide the player through a series of rigid setpieces so I really don't buy the argument that teleportation locomotion will hinder the design, tbh.

I've got good enough VR sealegs that I generally turn off all the anti-nausia poo poo in VR games but I can't imagine thinking a game shouldn't be designed primarily to be playable to people who can't do that, VR is expensive and fractured as hell we need all the accessibility we can get.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The concern is for designing around Teleporting first, not that it exists as an option. It changes a lot about how levels and games are designed for VR.
So in your world the levels should be designed solely for people using free locomotion and anyone who can't stomach that should get an inferior experience?

Also I don't think it really makes that much of a difference design wise, especially for a highly scripted corridor shooter.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
A peripheral that just a phone shaped sensor with a touch surface could be really cool in vr, like just render the display in the game who needs a screen even. Stick it in your pocket and pull it out to use the menus or check twitter or whatever.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is fundamentally a 2D display that you touch to interact with for brief tasks. It's not gonna matter a whole lot if your finger dips through it briefly, and it's way more convenient to be able to have something you can place and forget rather than having to physically dig out a phone and look at it. Basically Oculus Dashboard or OVRToolkit, but with touchscreen interaction.

A peripheral for this would be just an expensive toy doing an cheap job less effectively; For Oculus, has to recognize and track a third object (along with being able to parse "third object in first/second object wrapped around it" so you get more processor overhead. Not a great thing for the Quest. On the Lighthouse side that means sensors, and it won't be cheap once you factor in the processor and battery even using an HDK, to a tune of probably like $100+ USD. Not to mention just juggling this peripheral around your controllers if you're wearing/using some.
This is such a bizzare argument to me, plenty of games already have virtual touchscreen interfaces and they're awkward as poo poo things you poke at with your whole hand. I'd love a an actual tangible surface I could stow in my pocket and whip out when needed for text entry/menus. Id use the already established muscle memory from using my phone and the conrollers are tied to my wrist so i can just drop them to free my hand and whip them back again. You could hook it into apps outside the game and let you use it like you would a real smart phone without interupting gameplay.

Also if I cared about the practicallity and efficiency of the peripherals and tech involved I wouldn't be playing vr games in the first place lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Alyx is about what I expected so far, looks good, runs well. I've never actually played a Half life before but this is pretty good so far. Grabbing and stowing ammo feels real nice.

I did get stuck in that one area with all the codes on the wall, I felt super dumb once I worked out what I was meant to do lol.

Kinda funny that the answer to "how do we follow up a series that's known for introducing genre definging leap forwards in tech and design" turned out to be "be the only company in the world with a compelling reason to spend AAA money on a VR exclusive title".

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm not a big fan of teleport movement, not because it ruins ~my immersion~ but because I don't like the jarring stop/start rhythm it has. I deffo use it in Alyx whenever I need to backtrack because it's much faster than the smooth movement. I just wish it wasn't so easy to accidentally activate when turning.

As for the gun immersion thing Its not a huge deal to me. Like I can handle moving around the game world like I'm on a tiny motorized platform I can stay immersed when using a menu. Holsters would have cool though and every good argument against holsters ignores that there's no reason you couldn't have both a holster system and a weapon menu and let the player use both like how the the movement/teleport works.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Multiplayer only VR Pong with no players that also makes you sick is certainly a thing.

Although judging by one review i read the problem is with people tilting their head to move, apparently its much more comfortable if you squat down and shuffle side to side like a crab instead.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Played more Alyx would like to share my gripes with the control scheme.

I'm using the hand based smooth movement and it really messes with me whenever I try to do anything with my left hand while moving. The stick moves you relative to the direction the controller is pointing, so when you perform a reload while holding forward you suddenly start moving in all sorts of unexpected directions. I swear at one point I found myself holding backwards on the stick to move forwards.

It feels like there should be an easy solution to this, many 3D action games with dynamic cameras will keep the orientation of the stick locked if you keep a direction held during camera movements, so that when the camera changes your character don't change direction. It resets to be relative to the camera again when you let the stick return to neutral. I want something similar in Alyx, I hate how I basically have to stand still to reload.
I haven't tried the head relative smooth movement though, maybe thats a bit more usable during combat.

Also another gripe, I hate how you get snapped back in bounds if you touch the stick at all if you move your hitbox over a table or whatever. It happens all the time when I'm hunting for supplies.

And finally is there a way to cancel the teleport once you pull the stick back? I keep activating it by accident when I'm trying to turn.

Anyway these are my gripes, having a blast so far.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Had 2 wierd things happen in Alyx today, first of all I managed to fumble throw my shotgun away. I didn't think you could do that? It disappeared from my weapon menu and everything. It thankfully came back after a bit of confused searching around.

Then I managed to do the same thing with my left hand. Just whoops, lost my whole hand somwhere. I gather it got stuck in the geometry but I don't know where it went, I was in the middle of a fairly big room when both these things happened to me.

Had to reset to get it back .

I hope I'm nearly done with the spooky parts I feel like its been 80/20 spooky/shooty up until now.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Peewi posted:

As far as I know, the only ways a gun leaves your hand is when you unequip it or put it in a fabricator.

I did have the disappearing hand happen during my playthrough.
I genuinely don't know how I did it, I was in a panic and tried to switch to the shotgun and use my last 2 shells and I just didn't have the shotgun any more. My hands were still there, and when I clicked the stick my menu only displayed three circles horizontally, the shotgun just suddenly wasn't an option. As I said it did come back, but I didn't like grab it off the floor or whatever it just reappeared on it's own? for reference this was on the first floor of the Northern Star, in the big open room with the bar.

I don't remember if there was an active fabricator in the same level, I guess I could have wanged it across the level and through the geometry like when I lost my left hand and got it stuck in one? If you leave a gun in the fabricator does it magically hop back into you inventory if you don't pick it back out? I have so many questions!!!

as for the hand glitch at least other people are reporting it so I don't feel like an insane person. Apparently you can fix it without loading a save if you go into the settings and switch your dominant hand.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you put it a fabricator and then went into a new load area and the game removed it from your inventory as a failsafe or something. But if you do leave it in the fabricator and try to switch to it, it will warp it back to you.
gently caress knows then, I'm pretty sure I had it out at the start of the level as I found some shells and they go straight into the shotgun. Next time I play I'm going to check if its somehow possible to stow a gun in your wrist pocket.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm guessing nothing came of Sony and Oculus discussing swapping exclusives, which sucks because Wipeout Omega Collection is rad and I want it on PCVR.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I got lenses for my Rift S from VR Optician and they're great, highly recommended.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Organza Quiz posted:

I enjoyed dipping into those levels once a session or so just because it's an interesting brain challenge to find places you can intentionally miss cuts or do wrong cuts without continuing to gently caress up and losing the level. Definitely way different to the normal beat saber experience though.

The challenges with the disappearing arrows really helped me get better at reading notes as they spawned in, which was great when I was starting out. I did stop when I got to the 'move your hands as little as possible challenges though, I get the lesson the game was trying to teach but I am at peace with never being a super high scoring player who can beat ghost camellia +++++ or whatevs, please just let me dance.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbf at least steamVR lets you easily play games through other headsets and stores, not looking forward to messing around with ReVive if I ever upgrade to an index.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Shine posted:

I nope'd out of Half-Life Alyx when I had to cut the power in a cellar to kill a force field, and immediately saw a bunch of poison headcrabs crawl out and infest the building. Those fuckers terrified me back in 2004 on a monitor and they can gently caress OFF in VR, loving hell nope nope, but I really should suck it up and try to finish it, because it's hella fun. Still, fuuuuuck I am not looking forward to this.
God I wasted so much ammo on that part. It took me a bit to realise that I didn't have to shoot the set dressing crabs, and even worse I shot out all the barnacles in the big 3-floor room that you have to traverse multiple times. Would have been a lot easier if I just let them alone so they could eat some of the billion crabs that just came pouring in over and over again.

also steel yourself for loving JEFF. The part where you have to revisit the fridge is just extraordinarily evil, curse those clever fuckers at valve for the slow realization of what I needed to do at that part.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://twitter.com/pushmatrix/status/1260209543864356865?s=19

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tip posted:

Wow, you're really lucky they replaced the poo poo that you broke. I recently read about somebody who couldn't get their Rift S cable replaced because Oculus said it was their fault for letting it twist too much.
If you are calling customer service to get a part replaced or repaired under warranty do not give any details as to why you think the thing broke. It just stopped working, it is a mystery. Do not give them any excuse to file the failure under self inflicted damage rather than general wear and tear. If you're talking about how many times you twisted the cable you've hosed up.

Also yes some customer service agents are better to talk to than others due to them being human beings. Generally any agent has the ability to replace parts for free or repair outside of warranty, but will be more or less willing based on ther experience, how much they want to help you and if they think they will get in trouble if they go against policy.

Also also remember they're likely being constantly graded on how long each call takes so if you don't waste their time they will like you more.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I loved Obduction when it came out but returning to it in VR is kinda awkward. The VR was added after the fact and I get worse performance in the game than I do in No Mans Sky. Still kinda neat to explore my completed save gile in VR for a bit, but I couldn't stomach a full playthrough.

Cyan are however currently working on Firmament, which is supposed to be built from the ground up for VR and I'm hyped for it if it ever comes out.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I finally got around to Audica since it was in the steam sale. I like it a lot. It's just as slick as you'd expect from a harmonix game. I really like how smooth the transition from menu to gameplay is. Feels very good to shoot the notes.

Only played the beginner difficulty so far, kinda feels like it won't have as long legs for me as BeatSaber does but mainly because it's less of a workout to play.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EbolaIvory posted:

https://twitter.com/LSToast/status/1224829201259384832?s=20

Audica has a far higher skill ceiling. That dudes a literal robot, but yeah.
That's nice and all but I prefer a VR rhythm game that's a moderate work out is all I'm saying. I'm not here for the hardest levels and highest scores, the only Rhythm game I ever cleared on the highest difficulty on was Ouendan cut me some slack.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Theres a pretty big difference between tapping targets with a stylus on a tiny touchscreen and shoting targets with guns in fully immersive VR!

I like the game its great I just prefer the physicality of chopping boxes beatsaber over the abstracted pointing at targets in Audica. Its great if y'all think its the better rhythm game but like all I said is that I personally don't see myself playing it for as long as a game I've been consistently playing since I picked up a PSVR entirely because its not as easy to wear myself out in.

I've been eyeing synth riders for a while, it's on the list.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wish Sony would be cool and release Wipeout Omega Collection on Steam, that game is rad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Was going to pop in and warn against Doom VFR for Rift S users as it didn't have proper support when I nabbed it in the steam sale last year.

However there was an update to fix that last November so maybe I should give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh poo poo i thought they were releasing Hitman 1,2&3 as in the original ones, not Hitman 1,2&3 as in the new ones. That's cool, hope it doesn't stay forever on PSVR though.