Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I can't believe Pistol Whip tricked me into doing exercise, what is going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Quest 2 air circulator coming out soon. Will give a trip report after mine arrives in a couple weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099574TKJ

It's been over 3 weeks, where's the review? I check the thread every hour and still no review, this is terrible service.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Honestly, I haven't given it a good long run. Having a bit of gaming ennui.

From the few short sessions I've had with it though the new interface alone has improved my glasses fogging situation, but I haven't had the headset on for more than an hour at a time since I've bought it. The circulator does have a noticeable whirring sound to it, but I can't hear it over my tower fan's noise and the fact that I wear headphones when I use my Q2. From putting my fingers inside the headset where the air exhaust should be I can't feel any air flow at all, but like I said I haven't given it a real sweaty session to push it to the limit.

Cool, thanks. I've been thinking about getting one because my glasses fog up like crazy when I'm doing supernatural or even a lot of beatsaber/pistol whip. I'm definitely gonna have to clean the buckets of sweat out of the foam when the silicone cover comes.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Man, Puzzling Places is really good and I'm not even a jigsaw puzzle guy. If you're at all interested in puzzles, I'd highly recommend it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Half-Life: Alyx is on sale on Steam for 40% off in case anyone was waiting like I was.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How much of an improvement is the link cable over a good wifi setup? I'm glad my computer can run Alyx given the difficulty of upgrading but there was some noticeable lag. I'm not sure I'd want to do a rhythm game over airlink.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTJQSsfeqk
A clearly bigger game than the first part.

That looks awesome but definitely the kind of game that I need to be prepared to refund in case it makes me puke. I do love the parts where you just shoot poo poo with your pistol while flying.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Holy poo poo, GTA San Andreas in VR

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Non-facebook accounts for quest, they made a good change?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I dunno about iphones but android 12 just added a light that shows when the camera is being accessed.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I bought the Billie Eilish beat saber pack so now they know I'll buy anything and won't send me any coupons.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

.Ataraxia. posted:

But this is a good change? The original stationary mode was borderline useless because the guardian was so tiny. I use stationary mode because I'm sitting in a chair and not moving anywhere, I know where I am.

Yeah, I like it too. Games like mini golf only use one controller but putting the second one down somewhere outside the boundary makes it mad.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What are some games that give a decent workout without being specifically fitness games? I have beat saber and pistol whip and bounced off of supernatural.

Edit: I have a quest 2.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 23, 2021

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions, I went with thrill of the fight since I already had until you fall on steam somehow.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

EmuVR looks really cool, it's basically a little vr room with a bunch of tvs to play emulated games on. Duck Season played straight I suppose? It uses retroarch so there's a lot of supported consoles. I'm still fiddling with it but it feels cozy as gently caress, turn on snowy winter outside and turn down the lights.

https://www.emuvr.net/

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The quest has messenger but I'm not sure if it'll pop up a notification if you're in an app or something.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Still waiting for the day that I can delete files by drowning them in a fountain.

https://youtu.be/z4FGzE4endQ

I'm glad that Community's takedown of vr is still relevant.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I tried the holodia holofit game today since I got a secondhand bike super cheap. It was decent, definitely better than biking while watching Netflix on my phone or something. The graphics are pretty poor on the native quest version, lots of pop in and low resolution.

It doesn't have instructors to yell and motivate you but it does have multiplayer so that's a good workout if you're competitive. There are a bunch of environments ranging from real cities to Saturn to ancient Babylon, it's a nice variety. I'm not sure if I'll keep it though, the resolution is so low that it's distracting and I'm not sure if I get a good signal for airlink where my bike is. Most of the bad reviews mention the graphics and also that you can't row backwards on every map.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I've never had to turn on airlink again on my pc and I rarely use it twice within 24 hours.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Dang, I really wanted to try the new BoboVR headset with the snap-on battery, but it seems to be completely out of stock in the UK, like there aren't even any eBay listings for it and Amazon doesn't seem to have had it for a couple of weeks at least. Oh well.

What about their website? I ordered there and got it in a week and a half.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Man, I tried ultrawings for literally 5 minutes before I started feeling the beginnings of nausea. Gonna be a long road to get my vr legs.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Oh nice, was just about to post an review/interview about the same thing from a different channel that popped up on my feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3k0T1mvahY

I'm really quite intrigued. The weight and form factor is really my main abiding problem with just about all VR systems out there, and if they can deliver on that resolution for just 130 grams that might give a pretty huge boost on overall usability.

There's a comment on that video that a beta version burnt their eyes and made them fall down some stairs but after some surgery, they still like the headset lol.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

I wonder what Brad would think of VR if he needed no-poo poo prescription glasses. All the the newer stuff looks like it's for people already blessed with good vision (which is understandable, since it allows saving weight, increasing fov, and making things smaller, every scrap of which is important in HMD design.)

e: Actually bigscreen's HMD has a custom prescription lens option, which to my surprise I found out only by seeing it on Bigscreen's actual product page https://www.bigscreenvr.com/

The guy with the burnt eyes said it was from the custom prescription lens so hopefully they fixed that.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How is Light Brigade in general? It looks like a cool concept.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Consortium VR just came out for quest with a steam version coming at some point. I haven't played much of the vr version but I played the flat version a bunch of times.

It's an immersive sim based in Warren Spector's idea of a one city block rpg. The whole game takes place in a fancy airplane where you control an officer in the equivalent of a futuristic UN. The premise is that you, as in the player character, are using a hyperdimensional satellite to control the officer in another dimension. So you don't really know what their life was like before or even what you have to do. You just get thrown into the deep end and have to figure things out yourself. Also the several dozen npc's are highly reactive so they'll notice if you act like the typical rpg player and ask about basic poo poo. Then you get thrown into a murder mystery pretty quickly.

Anyway, it's pretty good. The voice acting has a lot of character, there's a lot of replayability and the graphics are fairly simple but that works fine in vr. It was buggy on release and combat is kinda bad but I think most of that was fixed. I haven't played the vr version much but it seems fine? It's got the standard movement options and didn't have any glaring issues that I saw. One gimmick is that you can choose your conversation options by actually speaking it out loud but there's a limit to how goofy I want to be when playing vr.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

They claim they'll be returning to development on the sequel now that the VR version is out, so we'll see how things go.

That's good, I was bummed out they never finished it. Hopefully they can finish the full trilogy too.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm finally getting a new gaming pc that can do vr stuff. What are some good pcvr games besides alyx and blade and sorcery? I have a quest 2.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for all the pcvr suggestions!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, he's saying ai won't transform everything in few years because there's too much systemic inertia.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

njsykora posted:

Reaching ultimate shame purchases by hanging my headset off my stationary bike.

I tried doing one of exercise games that synced to your bike but it looked like crap and the quest 2 was distractingly heavy while exercising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I haven't tried it yet myself but The Light Brigade put out an update with graphics settings that take advantage of the Quest 3 and even includes an mr mode and some improved graphics that the Quest 2 can handle.

There's a trailer for it here: https://youtu.be/MzzVRJzxXTY?si=TLad7T5vV_udRLjU