Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is there any interest in having separate VR games and VR hardware threads? Surely I can't be the only one who wants to follow/discuss games but doesn't care about endless discussions over which is the best headset or what the best PCVR set ups are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I do usually scroll past them, yes. I absolutely agree hardware is a huge part of VR, just wondering if there's enough interest to support two different threads for two different aspects. There's probably also people who get their games news elsewhere who just want to dig into the hardware here.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

Last weekend, I was asked to bring something to game evening with friends. I decided to do some googling to look for alternatives for "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"(never really found it to work well in a group), and came across a game I had never heard of before: Puppet Fever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPvR0TbyIQ

It's basically charades. The player with the headset gets something he needs to imitate with a number of puppets and tools. The other players can watch using a companion app on Android or iOS what is being acted out. Summed up: It really made the evening and everyone got into it really fast, especially after streaming to the television. None of the other players had done much with VR before, but were able to pick it up really fast after a single demonstration. It works really intuitive, and people understood quickly how to improvise and come up with tricks to play things out.

Most surprising to me: it's for free on the Quest(with additional words for DLC).

Just wanted to share it. I have a feeling it isn't that well known and it really should stand out more.

drat this looks amazing for showing off VR to people without it becoming a weird thing where only one person gets to have fun at a time

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Glasses-Havers. Do you find you need the glasses spacer with the quest or can you go without?

I haven't tried it without but I can say non-glasses-havers have tried my quest with the spacer in and not had any complaints.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

On the other hand I think the campaign sucks because why does it have levels that actively require you to play bad?

Because it's an interesting brain exercise to aim for a particular amount of bad cuts or whatever while not exceeding another amount. Like it's really hard to make an intentional mistake and then go back to doing it correctly. It would be a lot better if there was better indication of how far you are through the level though, I don't play the OST songs often enough to recognise that the end is coming up so its hard to know when to make the intentional mistakes.

Having said all of that it would almost certainly be more fun for more people if they just let you get through by doing the game good rather than adding basically a puzzle element to it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been playin Acron: Attack of the Squirrels! on Quest with my friends and its actually pretty drat enjoyable. the gist is that its an asymmetrical multiplayer game where the player with the Quest is a tree that needs to defend their acorns from the other players that are playing as squirrels on their smartphones. There are a 4 classes for said squirrels ranging from a shield squirrel that protects or a builder squirrel that makes ramps. Its been fun swapping out the headset after a few rounds and watch the other players have a go as the tree.

the biggest drawback that ive seen mentioned is that u need to have at least 2 other human players to start a game; tho there are bots that will fill in if u want more players and the game maxes out at 8 squirrels. Make sure u have some ppl to play with ya drat goons, it can be done over the internet so not everyone needs to be in the same room. its also a great game for introducing other ppl to VR as well since the tree doesnt move which will avoid most motion sickness.

in short, i was very surprised by this game since the trailer for it kinda sucks; give it a shot

*edit* are there any other VR games like this? Having other players on the smartphone is such a neat idea that itd be crazy if this was the only one

The other one I know of is Puppet Fever, which is free so worth checking out! Good to hear that this one is good, I was hesitant to throw dollars at it but maybe I will now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

It reminds me of Elite Beat Agents, but VR and better.

I suppose it could use a dusting of anime. tasteful boob physics anime.

Yeah I took one look at it, thought "Oh poo poo this is VR Ouendan" and hit the buy button. No regrets.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was watching a (real) rollerderby bout the other day and pondering how well or poorly some adaptation of the sport (however loose) would work as a VR game.

The locomotion mechanics seems like it would be the make-or-break trick.

I think with roller derby the locomotion would be less of an issue than the fact that it's a sport based on physically blocking and shoving with your actual body, which I cannot imagine working at all in VR.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Never mind Alyx I can't believe it took me this long to buy Tilt Brush, I am a GOD

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

How much space does Echo Arena need to avoid punching my furniture?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Merijn posted:

I've been playing the Beat Saber campaign for half an hour almost every day and songs are getting harder. I dislike the "max combo" challenges though, intentionally missing cuts is dumb. Just give me FASTER :black101:

I enjoyed dipping into those levels once a session or so just because it's an interesting brain challenge to find places you can intentionally miss cuts or do wrong cuts without continuing to gently caress up and losing the level. Definitely way different to the normal beat saber experience though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ugh I want this on Quest so badly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Deeturbomber posted:

I've had an issue with my Quest where the display hangs and lags when I wake it/put it on after it's been off for anywhere from a couple hours to a few days. It's consistently doing it, and the only solution/suggestion I saw was to clear the Guardian history, which hasn't worked (it seemed to at first, but it still does it just as often even if I clear it every session now). Has anyone had any experience with this? I basically have to reboot it right before using it for it to work properly.

I've been having the same issue for the last month or two, no ideas for a solution though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

That's nice and all but I prefer a VR rhythm game that's a moderate work out is all I'm saying. I'm not here for the hardest levels and highest scores, the only Rhythm game I ever cleared on the highest difficulty on was Ouendan cut me some slack.

Audica is essentially Ouendan but in VR - I got it on that basis and am not disappointed. I'm just starting to get up to the difficulties where it's starting to be a physical workout, it's definitely more of a mental workout than Beat Saber is so it takes more time to build up to that level but it's extremely fun to be there.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

I picked up Audica in the Oculus sale figuring if I didn't like it I could just refund it and that is absolutely the VR rhythm game for me, that gameplay style is extremely my jam and I can tell I'm gonna get a lot of value out of it. Custom songs being super easy is also an unexpected and welcome surprise.

I've been working my way through the solo campaign and it's not terrible! I did hit a bit of a wall in the last section of hard mode so I've just jumped to expert and figure I'll come back at some point when I'm better and the end of hard seems easier.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm just confused at the lack of Ouendan/EBA songs in Audica and very tempted to learn how to custom song and map out Sekai wa Sore o Ai to Yobundaze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na1vcQ7L2Uw&t=471s

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Do it!

I’d play the poo poo out of that.

drat I just looked it up and it does look really simple to do, maybe I will!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I played it in VR. Can't really imagine playing it any other way tbh. Around the time I got to the point where regularly jumping from track to track became the norm I just couldn't do it anymore. I failed like 100 times on one level with no progress and I was just like :rip:

I am exceptionally bad at rhythm games though.

I'm not sure it's a rhythm game thing exactly, I'm very good at rhythm games but drifted away from playing Thumper because it was getting too difficult for me to keep having fun. Hitting buttons in rhythm is one thing, but seeing the thing coming in time to figure out which button to press in time is tricky and it really doesn't give you many chances for errors.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

On the otherhand, because VR is still such a weird non-mainstream novelty that maybe the kind of audience who is willing to strap a brick to their face is also largely gonna be dweebos who will spend upwards of £1000 for the privilege of getting a very hi-spec brick, it'll probably all work out.

I think Facebook are counting on the opposite of this - that they can convince the broad public who already use Facebook heavily and don't give a poo poo about using it for VR that they should try it. It's already not much more expensive than a new console and there's no reason it can't go as mainstream.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

It's completely meaningless to compare one of the best selling and most friendly/accessible consoles of all time with early-gen VR hardware that is going to remain completely niche/weird/anti-social for years to come. The switch fits into people's lives in the way that a VR headset largely doesn't. And I'm not sure you even need to make a nintendo account to use a switch.
I think VR is still fully in the domain of nerds like us who are obsessive about immersive games and cool hardware, and that's exactly the demographic that reads tech blogs and is most uncomfortable with Facebook (and probably don't feel the same way about Nintendo).

edit: like I agree with most consumer tech people will happily sign away all their data profiles by logging into Facebook/Google/Whatever, but VR headsets are an insane niche luxury and will stay that way until a day when the cost of entry is way down and a long list of hardware, software and game design problems are solved, so its not a comparable market right now to other things.

You need a Nintendo account to buy games on the eShop. But more to the point, I don't see why VR has to stay niche/weird/anti-social when it's standalone and similar in price to a console? You just clear a bit of space and put on the headset and it just works. It's easier to set up, use and understand for non-tech people than consoles or computers are. Just needs a bit of mainstream advertising to show people that it's that easy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your Nintendo account starts and ends at "I own digital licenses for these games". A Facebook account starts and ends at "Facebook knows literally everything about you and invasively compiles new data on you by any means they can get away with so they can sell you as their product".

There's a slight difference between the two.

I'm not saying anything about how similar they are, just clarifying since The Grumbles wasn't sure if you need one or not :shrug:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Cirque du Soleil VR is :kiss:

Highly recommended for that price. It's around 60 minutes of high quality VR experience, but in practical terms because some of the videos have stuff all around you, they have to be watched twice so experience everything.

/search on Google
...oh look, it's a Facebook exclusive! lol

Yeah I really enjoyed this too! I would recommend watching them in order though, they've kind of arranged them in order of increasing intensity of experience. The first one is like "oh cool the circus is performing on stage just for me" and some of the later ones are creepy dudes standing right in your face staring at you.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How is Audica? I haven't seen a lot about it.

I really like it! Only stopped playing it as much because I hit a bit of a skill plateau a little way into the expert campaign and got annoyed. It's more of a "game" than beat saber, uses the brain cells a bit more, and it feels much dancier to play when you get up into the higher difficulties.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Try older maps from popular mappers, they are likely to be easier since there's been difficulty creep as the game's gotten older.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can someone link to the good Quest 1 controller cover things? I haven't felt the need for them until now but I've been playing Beat Saber every evening recently and I could do with something that will let me grip the controllers like (I who has never held a sword would imagine someone would hold) swords without the battery cover slipping off.

Also I was checking out VR cover foam replacements - is there a consensus on which is the best one? It looks like they have options between leather, silicon and machine-washable cotton now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have a Quest and don't have a VR-capable PC, that's the entire reason I got a Quest in the first place, because I didn't want to gently caress around with basically completely rebuilding my PC and having to weigh up different parts and price points and poo poo. I probably won't bother until this computer is significantly older and I'm looking at upgrading it in general. So even in "enthusiast circles" I think there's a significant percentage of people who haven't ever linked their Quest to their computer.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

pantsfree posted:

Bought Audica as it was the daily deal on the Oculus store for Quest 2. It's okay? The visuals are pretty dull and static (and far worse than the PCVR version based on screenshots). The 'shoot the targets to the beat' mechanics are interesting and require coordination and skill but the feedback when you're doing well/poorly isn't great, I don't get the same sense of achievement I get from completing a level in beat saber or synth riders.

The pop:one 'War' mode has been a mixed bag. 9v9 means voice comms can be pretty chaotic, and it's very easy for battles to quickly swing in one direction if you have players who wander off or a team that doesn't talk or support each other. The regular squad mode is more fun. I'd rather see something like the Fortnite 'Team Rumble' where it's 9v9 and you get dropped at either side of the map and respawn so it's just a race to a kill limit.

IMO Audica only really gets properly fun at higher difficulties when it starts really making you dance and you get that same sense of flow as on a difficult Beat Saber level but with a bit more intense brainwork.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

I must not be the only one whose cats like to sit at the feet of the VRer

My cat likes to come hang out on the rug that I'm standing on. She used to lie on one of the back corners until one day I stepped backwards and stepped on her tail.

Now she lies on a front corner instead, because cats understand the direction a person is facing but absolutely do not understand VR.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Went to grab Gorilla Tag off the app lab so I don't have to keep using the sideloaded version and this was the top review:

Game good.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You can but it's annoying! I probably wouldn't try it with someone who wasn't tech savvy but your tolerance for teaching might be higher than mine.

There's a lot of music available in the base game now if you include content packs, and how many of the custom songs is she really going to know anyway? It can also be frustrating working out the difficulty of any given custom song when trying to decide whether to download it or not.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I think one of the strengths of VR is the things it can play with to make you uncomfortable, creeped out, scared, etc that traditional games could never do.

Going up to 'yourself' and shooting them in flatscreen superhot, pales compared to the creeping weirdness of having to put a gun to your temple and pull the trigger, or jump off a building.

There was a great moment in the horror game "wilson's heart" where you have to run your arm through a table saw because its been taken over, and its one of the trippiest moments I've had in a game, first making yourself push your arm through a saw, then having a sort of phantom limb thing with your stump there.

Those new feelings and situations are a hallmark of what makes VR new and interesting.

Sure but superhot is designed to be a fun action/puzzle game, not a horror game. It's also a demo on every Quest which means it's designed for mass appeal and it makes total sense to take out a bit that forces you to shoot yourself in the head.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry for a super basic question - what the hell is PCVR? I hear it talked about as some software that I think acts as a space for people to create their own experiences within it or something? When I google this I get a lot of results for "PC's are great for VR because of GPUs" and I don't see any kind of website or mention of what platform this is on or anything like that. Thanks!

Spent some time this morning setting up Oculus software again and buying lone echo for use with Revive + Reverb G2, hope it maps well.

PCVR is just VR that runs off your PC as opposed to self-contained units like the Quest.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I was wondering what you meant by "move your body" if it's in 3rd person, then I pieced it together by the cuts to a toybox and an action figure. You're basically "holding" the character like a toy and pew-pewing enemies, and you have to move them out of the way of the bullets.

That's actually really clever, and the game looks pretty and fun. Will definitely consider picking it up.

I just grabbed it and played for a little bit and it's exactly this. It's very cute and fun! The only negative I have to say about it so far is that the backgrounds are quite busy which can make it harder to see the bullets you're meant to be dodging, but I think part of it is just how unfamiliar it is to have bullet hell patterns coming directly at you. It took me a little bit also to get used to the idea that I don't have any physicality in the space myself, so it's fine for falling debris or whatever to hit me as long as it doesn't hit the doll.

I played two rounds of it and died to the boss of the second level on my second round, which feels like pretty reasonable progress. Boss design was pretty cool too.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm enough of a nerd to be here and I got a Quest because it was simple and standalone and I don't have a VR-capable PC and it seemed like too much effort to decide on the best price vs power options to upgrade/replace my PC.

I'm very interested in PSVR2 as a potential non-facebook non-gently caress-around-with-PC option but we'll see what happens with it.

I'm quite sure the vast majority of Quest users use it purely standalone.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's also only available in the US I think so I'll never play it. Guess I'll just stick with Beat Saber for VR exercise! Audioshield is better exercise but also way less fun, and something in my brain just finds Pistol Whip super stressful as much as I want to enjoy it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

All I know is that if a custom song in a rhythm game contains the words "up", "left", "down" or "right" you'd better make my body move in those directions :colbert:

Counterpoint: the custom map of Tubthumping that has a squat for every "I get knocked down but I get up again" can absolutely gently caress off.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

chippy posted:

I've noticed something similar in Beat Saber in certain songs. I play various instruments and it feels the same to me as when you're playing something where your hands/limbs work independently (like piano, or drums) as opposed to where they work together (e.g. guitar).

Same here. It also feels like juggling patterns a lot of the time, it makes me wonder if you could teach juggling patterns with maps that make you do the movements. If I had more time on my hands I'd probably try it!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ohh I didn't realise that was out on app lab! I've been waiting so long for it to be on Quest!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

gently caress yeah viking game is great, also looks like it's officially releasing on the store in like three days so I guess I would have just got it then! But having it a few days early is fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lord Bob posted:

I really liked this - there's absolute near zero "interactivity", you just float like a ghost and things just happen around you while you watch, but the fun is in deciding what to watch, and the way you naturally find huge twists just by following people around and watching where they go and who they talk to was a really great experience - and because everything is happening simultaneously you need to use the time jumps to go back and follow different people to see different events that you only heard about / heard at a distance.

They pack a surprisingly dense number of mad twists and turns into it.

I played it on psvr early in my vr days so I don't know how many transport options it has, but it's a real cool concept and I wish there were more games that played with the same idea of like "walk around a big complex stage play as it's just going on its own".

Oh that's cool, sounds like Sleep No More!