Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

This is what I would do. I have an ozone generator for literally doing what you describe, dealing with car interior smells, almost always cigarette smoke, and there isn't anything that works as well.

Does the thing work and just stink?

Sorry just wanted to note as a respiratory guy that you should take steps to not breathe in ozone if possible. I'm sure you aren't sitting in your car while you run it or something but in case you aren't already, you'll want to make sure you ventilate the garage more than you'd think you should before you go into that space if it's got a lot of O3 around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Room VR was a revelation for me. Are there any other VR puzzle kinda games like that (yes I've played all the other Room games)? I'm trying to play Xing: a Land Beyond but I have a reverb g2 with those controllers and I haven't found a good way of controlling the game yet with custom binds.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Frobbe posted:

If you're wanting a really well done escape room experience, take a look at this completely free offering in VRchat https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_1c5f5bc7-c4d8-4dbb-a09e-83d5b9aaebfb which is goddamn anazing quality considering the limitations of the platform.

Thanks! I'm not necessarily looking for an escape room experience but just the way that you interact with stuff in that game is insanely satisfying and the storytelling was fantastic. I've found so far in the week or two that I've had VR that the games are either shock value action games, simulation games of varying fidelity, rhythm games, or I guess these type of puzzle/adventure games. I'm really interested in any RPG games that might exist in the space (VR specific ones, not skyrim VR etc).

I'm at work now but I'll check that out. I don't really know what VRchat is at this point.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

Asgard's Wrath is a big RPG with parry-based combat, puzzle elements, companions with puzzle-related abilities, multiple perspectives between being a regular human/towering Norse God, and lots of random collectible stuff you craft into better gear for you and your companions

Thanks, this looks amazing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I posted about this before but if you don't have an oculus device then google oculus revive for compatibility drivers for steamvr via openvr.

As asgards wrath is an oculus exclusive.

Vader Immortal is pretty good too and worth trying, even if it's more of an action-adventure game than anything.

Hm yeah I do have revive, you need to have the oculus software/account as well then to play the oculus exclusive titles? IE running in the background minimized? I did install it then got super turned off by the FB integration as I don't use FB at all. I'll check out vader immortal. Ty.

e:

vvv got it, sounds good. I just hope the reverb g2 controllers aren't a huge pita to map to necessary binds.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 19, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry for a super basic question - what the hell is PCVR? I hear it talked about as some software that I think acts as a space for people to create their own experiences within it or something? When I google this I get a lot of results for "PC's are great for VR because of GPUs" and I don't see any kind of website or mention of what platform this is on or anything like that. Thanks!

Spent some time this morning setting up Oculus software again and buying lone echo for use with Revive + Reverb G2, hope it maps well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The quest and quest 2 are mobile VR, everything else is PCVR, it required a PC to be tethered to in order to work

E: very beaten

GutBomb posted:

Unless there is some product I’ve never heard of, PCVR is just a term for VR headsets that need to be plugged in to PCs to work as opposed to standalone headsets that don’t need to use a PC or mobile headset that you slot a mobile phone into.

Organza Quiz posted:

PCVR is just VR that runs off your PC as opposed to self-contained units like the Quest.

Okay so I wasn't really missing anything. I'm confused because I think someone recommended to me some escape room game a few pages ago but said 'someone built it in PCVR' or something. I'll look for that post. Thanks!

e: I'm dumb, he said VR Chat

Frobbe posted:

If you're wanting a really well done escape room experience, take a look at this completely free offering in VRchat https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_1c5f5bc7-c4d8-4dbb-a09e-83d5b9aaebfb which is goddamn anazing quality considering the limitations of the platform.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a program that you can use to evaluate different headsets etc? Like a test screen:

but animated/VR appropriate?

I picked up one of those Danol reverb g2 replacement gaskets and want to see as objectively as I can whether it's any different for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

VR sale on Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/summer-vr-sale/?partner=blank

Honestly, I'm seeing the same games they had on their last sale.

This was good for me as a new user. Picked up I Expect you to Die and Creed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I find it interesting the reverb g2 doesn't come up at all when people are asking for recommendations. It's the best out there for sim racing which is why I have it but I thought it was a contender for general use as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I picked up this 8 pack rechargable Li-Ion AA batteries, 1.5v. What's the best practice in terms of how low to run them before swapping in freshly charged batteries?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I, a PC game user, won because I'm in the group that gets to pay 150% MSRP for components.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god I hadn't even thought of that. Do you still use mouse and keyboard in VR for Elite: Dangerous?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The space trucking nature of it bit one of my friends in the rear end when he was playing it late at night and nodded off. Dude woke up in space VR and had no idea what the gently caress for like a good ten seconds.

I recently set up a 'real' sim rig for iRacing and in doing so had to change the USB port my hardware plugs into. This entails going into every single car I drive (around 8-10) and rebinding 10-15 things. By the time I finished the rig build and started this process I had already had a couple beers and was exhausted from moving poo poo all over the place and I nodded off in VR and woke up with it on when a car drove by me in the pit lane and I actually had a little jump scare.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gort posted:

The idea of falling asleep while wearing a VR helmet is completely alien to me. They're just not comfortable enough for that.

I think it's more that you don't get drunk or high by yourself and play video games until you can't stay awake.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are the other headsets a lot heavier than the reverb g2? I don't notice the weight at all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

Genuine question, but shouldn't this be a factor of whether the game is worth it or not, not how old it is? What about the game being older makes it not worth paying full price for?

The value of a game includes not only how fun it is to play but also I think can reasonably be broken down into how well it showcases new technology, how much fun it is to be part of the discussion around it with friends on release, and the premium related to that for not 'missing out' on the new game. Because older games only have the intrinsic value of how fun it is and not necessarily the other stuff it seems appropriate that they're cheaper. Old movies are cheaper, old roller coasters are cheaper, etc.

e: I find it so fascinating how many people like music rhythm games in VR or otherwise. I installed beat sabre and played it twice and felt like I kinda 'got it' and wanted to see the more creative explorations of the medium.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey does anyone have a right side earphone piece for an HP Reverb G2 that they can sell me? Mine is cutting out and I'm sure I could open it up and fix it but you basically have to cut it open or wreck the foam to do so.