Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Level: 3

In order to do wireless streaming do I have to buy virtual desktop on both the oculus store and steam? Or can I use my oculus copy to install on the pc somehow

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Only on the Quest. And then download & install this free app on the computer
https://download.vrdesktop.net/files/VirtualDesktop.Streamer.Setup.exe

you are a gem, thank you

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Did some googalizing and found someone who had a similar problem to you. Have you attempted all of their troubleshooting steps, particularly running from a shortcut pointing directly to the exe?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/64996/alien-isolation-vr-start-problem-please-help

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

It looks like the only good golf games are mini-golf. Any big-boy golf options out there that aren't terrible? (they seem to be all terrible)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

welp blew all my money on the 256 gb version of the q2 and cant afford any software now. Looks like theres a lot of really good free stuff, though

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Played a lot of Dirt with both a fancy force feedback wheel, was never as fast as when I used a controller though

just figured out a way to improvise knuckle straps with my quest 2. Any other good improvised accessories people have experimented with?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

been using a giant usb power pack to extend my quest 2 sessions and it works flawlessly. Just a tip for people bugging about the 2 hr time limit

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I have to say the vanilla strap doesn't feel even remotely uncomfortable to me, I have no idea what I would get out of an elite strap.

Same, been using the default strap for multiple hour sessions of Pavlov and it's absolutely fine. Would rather spend the $$ on software

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Recommend against vr dirt 2 unless you are super resistant to vr motion sickness. Lots of bumps and spinning around corners is not for the weak of heart

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo the Steam VR through Virtual Desktop over Wifi works really well. I'm incredibly impressed actually.

with quest 2 doing wireless pcvr I don't know what people are thinking going with the index or others

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

It's actually not strange at all that people who are practiced gamblers are less likely to understand probabilities

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

only mentioning this because there is a notion of a false dichotomy between PCVR and wireless on built in apps on the quest 2... The quest 2 does both rather flawlessly. I had better experiences playing elite dangerous via virtual desktop wirelessly than I did tethered to USB3. Valve and HTC headsets look nice but they sure as gently caress don't do wireless PCVR and are more than double the cost. I guess the only drawback is if you have a facebook hate-boner

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're double the cost because of the hardware involved. Lighthouse tracking's a tradeoff of cost for fidelity, and the Index has the best spatial audio available on the market for VR. Also the original Vive and Vive Pro (also the Cosmos, but lol) actually do have a Wireless kit available for them.

Woah just took a look and the wireless kit for HTC headsets is $300-350

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

bigscreen VR is a cool app but I couldn't get streaming working very well... when we were watching the same video file my friend kept getting an error about not having the right codec and when I was streaming from my computer there was a lot of stuttering, despite having a solid connection. I'm curious about trying it out in VR chat though

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've read recommendations to use an Anker power bank for the Vive wireless adapter instead of buying more of the original (given the battery life/etc). Is there any good solution for strapping it to your person, or just put it in a pocket?

I have a no name power bank tthat I just put in my hoodie pocket to keep my quest 2 topped off and it works wonderfully

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

How about that bow battle royale game, Hibow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV3wD_ZjQpE

Anyone try that out? it looks interesting but don't really want to invest if there isn't a big playerbase

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

I remember seeing a list of must-have VR mods for skyrim... does anyone know where that list can be found?

edit: found these,
Skyrim VR Guide Compendium
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qbh7GE30xLyso7MA6u3xpNJNdL5r2V2WP8SjZ4VpHLQ/edit

SkyrimVR - VR specific mods
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nvhqSMb6DfE434COZzFTVJ71E12qluKfGtOtdwrsRU0/edit

but I really feel like I remember seeing something much more concise

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 1, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Nalin posted:

I made a list a while ago in the old thread. I've updated it for you:

https://pastebin.com/Gy7JksHk

It is a very bare-bones and vanilla version of Skyrim. It avoids the billions of texture and model packs that break the game and drastically change how it looks. You can add those in manually if you desire.

thank you for this the wabbjack thing seemed really over the top. Ill give these mods a shot with vortex and if I'm still not happy I will do the crazy skyrim mod rabbithole thing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Honestly have always thought Payday 2 was super lame so I'm just glad I'm not alone here

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

I got halflife 1 VR running natively on the quest 2 and it works flawlessly. Check it out here: https://www.lambda1vr.com/

Theres a PCVR version that I can't speak to here: https://www.halflifevr.de/ .

I'm now really curious about half-life 2 vr but it looks much more hacky than what the lambda1vr folks managed to do.

Also tried out Myst VR and it's really good but... we need Riven VR so much more than we need Myst VR

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

So is Half Life 1 and 2 pretty easy to get rolling in VR with?

Half-life 1 VR is a go

Half-life 2 VR is playing each of the maps through gary's mod with a VR mod installed... It's not so good

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Junk posted:

Someone literally ITT said there was a VR game that let you do this and I said it sounded fun and wanted to know what it was called. Did I miss something and now playing games where you shoot people is taboo now?

"like it's some real world training exercise" give me a loving break, you literally sound like one of those 90's moral outrage lunatics all up in arms about Grand Theft Auto brainwashing the kids.

dae remember the goon who was asking about what kind of birdshot is best for scaring intruders then ended up shooting his uncle or something?

real answer: I think pavlov is probably the best one that I've played

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 3, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

sea of losers posted:

i was looking forward to pavlov for quest but they decided not to allow for crossplay with PC users last i checked, reasoning being different refresh rates on different headsets, which seems like kinda weak reasoning imo. i know higher refresh rates can possibly give an advantage but you dont see cs:go banning people from matches if they dont have a 144hz monitor. also their quest port (pavlov shack) is still on sidequest, so one needs to homebrew their quest in order to play it. contractors was on sidequest but they finally released on oculus store in december after enough testing on sidequest. i do honestly wonder if the lack of extra visuals on the quest1 port makes it unfairly easier to spot people playing on devices that can render the grass.

This post is acting like PCVR isn't possible on the quest

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Skybox vr is incredibly worth it on so many levels

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Default strap fits fanfuckingtastic for me. Honestly worried that the elite would be a worse fit if I decide to upgrade

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

always afraid of installing another mod ontop of a pile of 100 other mods that are barely stable... but this one looks too good to pass up

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

drat I wish I had a setting like that I could find and make squadrons work, even the cutscenes run like dog poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dammit. I ordered the refurb archer a6. Didn’t even realize it.

Anyone who’s bought refurb electronics from amazon, how has your experience been?

it's good, youre lowering your carbon footprint and the poo poo usually works. Amazon typically offers 90 day warranties on refurb products

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

BrainDance posted:

My problem with Skyrim VR is it runs way shittier than it has any right to on my hardware. I have trouble keeping a stable 90fps on a 2070super/3700x, when I have no trouble getting a solid 90 maxed settings on HL:Alyx, so I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Steam Supersampling just set to the normal 100%, no super sampling in skyrim itself or anywhere in the oculus app, dynamic resolution or whatever it's called in skyrim off, even did poo poo like tweak nvidia control panel settings for it, etc etc.

It's playable, like it's not chugging along or anything, but I wanna mod the gently caress out of it and a lot of the mods I want are just too much of a performance hit. Things like static mesh improvement mod, flora overhaul, realistic water two, it gets noticeably lovely. :/

Dont wanna have to buy a 3090 or something just for pretty vr skyrim.

The static mesh mod is a huge performance hit, even on the so-called lite versions

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Xachariah posted:

I'm curious, and confused.

But enough about my sexuality, what's this situation about? From context it seems the author of the Unofficial Skyrim patch mod is for some reason attempting to ensure people can't use his mod in Skyrim VR? ...but why?

I think at some point he started updating the unofficial patch with poo poo no one wanted, needed, or asked for. So people were using older versions of the mod and this angered him and well :ocelot:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

yeah be careful with the nausea... many people report that it can last for days, let alone hours

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Been playing a pretty a lot of skyrim vr today... The VRIk mod which gives you a body is just fantastic

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'd also recommend checking out Supernatural (Quest store only). It's like Beat Saber but relies on more squats and larger sweeping motions with the bats to work the shoulders instead of just flicking the wrist. They have a new workout every day with a playlist of licensed music. The high intensity workouts get my heart rate higher than any other fitness app I've tried except Thrill of the Fight.

It has a monthly subscription cost which understandably turns a lot of people off, but also has a 30 day free trial so you can check it out and see if it is worth it for you. I subbed after trying it out for a month, it's really polished and having a new workout every day to real music made it worth the cost to me.

You do need to have enough space to turn a full 360 and still be able to flail your arms wildly while doing a side lunge, but you generally stay centered in one spot.

honestly I love love supernatural. I think it got a lot of hate early on for being a "beatsaber clone" but it does a lot of things right wrt getting you to expend calories that beat saber could not possibly accomplish. I think the main thing is having solid 25+ minute mixes where you are non-stop flailing around, with no fail state. Also theres a much more diverse selection of music than what beatsaber has. Throw in squats and coaches that are not unlike DDR style encouragement and it's just a great experience all around.

Ok, I did the plug where's my money?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

ughhhh posted:

If anyone is playing Elite or SW:squadrons on steam through virtual desktop on a Quest 2 be kind enough to share their control settings? I cant seem to get gamepad (a DS4 connected through Bluetooth on the PC) controls to register in any games in VR even though my gamepad works fine when playing in non VR mode.

My DS4 just worked when I booted up star wars squadron the first time, but I've always used it with the DS4windows app, so maybe give that software a try

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Until you fall is weird in that even though it's simple I keep coming back to it. Probably wouldn't like it as much if I didn't get it for a really good price. It's frustrating when your attacks or blocks are off by a few degrees and they dont register, but in other situations it feels like any kind of random swing registers as a critical hit.

It became way more fun when I just put it on easy mode

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

the only The Room game I want for VR is Silent Hill 4: The Room... then again I would probably be too chickenshit to play it. Even LambdaVR is a bit too freaky

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 1, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Its a bit of a catch-22. You can get a more moisture resistant insert but youll be prone to more fogging...

People on the Supernatural Facebook(!!!!) group have reported good results with getting their mask warm prior to using it, and other more adventurous people have rubbed soap on the lenses which they claim works well. I dont recommend the soap but putting your mask in a warm place for a few minutes before you put it on seems like a good solution

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

This may be a naive question but do people really install 50+ mods by hand just to get a "mostly vanilla" experience? Are there no one-click solutions for this stuff?

yes, no. It is not a well-made VR port and the engine is fucky to begin with

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

I must not be the only one whose cats like to sit at the feet of the VRer

I feel like pavlov shack is basically a demo of pavlov. Nuts that they are going to be charging for it and double nuts that anyone would expect some kind of expectation for crossplay with pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Superhot seemed cool but when I finally put it on my quest 2 I found that a lot of the levels were way too hard without the ability to move around the whole room. So if you are getting it make sure you have a big bougie dedicated VR space