Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
there is nothing as satisfying as flinging a blade at someone in blade and sorcery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWpmY1PeWaU&t=4s

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Beastie posted:

He is/was a goon right?

was permad for posting while on salvia

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I dont think they will ban users in a way that prevents them from buying games after the ban. I've never seen something like that occur

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
in a materialist perspective, it's a pretty easy calculus to justify piracy. On the other hand, there is obviously at least some level of risk putting that software on your computer and that should be where most of your attention is wrt avoiding some nasty consequences.

In software i didn't pirate news: I got the chance to do Thrill of the Fight with a maxed out room-scale boundary and it's just :discourse: Love to chase dudes around the ring while pummelling their heads

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 5, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
reminding me why i do not miss doing tech support

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
no the hard part was the op omitting information about the cable being damaged lmao. They must not be aware of the bayesian approach to tech support

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Manager Hoyden posted:

How are y'all dealing with your Q2 slipping down your face during heavy activity? I'm getting tired of having to pause and readjust back into the visual sweet spot.

I'm using the elite strap and a vrcover face thing, if that matters

gotta counterweight it with a battery strapped to the back

edit:

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
wired magazine sucks so much lmao

when they aren't handing over whistleblowers to the fbi they are enthusiastically nodding along with every word weapons manufacturers say while giving them the biggest softball questions

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Turin Turambar posted:

You know what, what I remember from Snow Crash is the weirder aspects of the setting. But... I don't remember anything of the famous 'Metaverse' from the novel...

I remember the mc made his own katana dueling game within the metaverse and it was really famous but he was always #1 at it. Also fully functional avatars were a very valuable commodity, also worked based on where you can login from and what computer youre using

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Maldraedior posted:

Super hot needs a "no, for real, make your guardian smaller" warning. that mean orange man was hiding inside my wall and I couldn't reach his hit box.

I cant throw for poo poo and I hurt my hand trying to punch someone. A++ realism

Superhot secretly sucks I hope this helps

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you lose tracking when you start to go behind your head, sometimes I find it frustrating when I am trying wind up on a right hook in thrill of the fight but then again why am I winding up so much, should be keeping mitts in front of my face

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
tea for god is cool but its definitely a tech demo where you shoot 6 different robos in 4 different environments

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Good soup! posted:

I know quite a few recommendations have been made for Quest 2 headstraps here, but any other input on good ones for a lot of physical activity? Been using the included ones for Thrill of the Fight since getting it in December but I'm sweating my rear end off in this thing, so something made for that would be cool

For some reason I didn't anticipate using this thing as a workout device but I'm stoked for Thrill of the Fight 2, as I love throwing this into my weekly pattern of jogging and occasional hockey

I do the DAS frankenquest, with the ASMVR covers and it works pretty OK! The DAS is pretty bulky which means if youre putting in a bag to take to the gym its tough to fit into nice cases

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Timesplitters 2 quest native sounds wonderful

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
whats the best wabbajack anyways

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i made an fb account i think way back in 2004 and have a serious blindspot about what it takes to make one these days. But yeah i think all anyone can see on fb is that I have an oculus account

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah I’ve been reading up on it, it sounds like once I get it all set up she should be fine with it but should is doing a lot of heavy lifting there because as far as I can tell we’d also have to install another third party app like ALVR on the headset and her PC to let her actually use the headset for what she wants to do, which comes with it’s own possible hurdles.

Yeah the thing is beyond just not wanting to be plugged into that whole lovely ecosystem we simply don’t want a publicly visible presence on Facebook at all, no matter how trivial or insignificant the information is. You’ll just have to trust me that we have valid reasons for this overkill paranoia because I’d rather not get into the nitty gritty drama it stems from.

I can imagine some pretty gnarly scenarios so no worries I, even as a quest 2 stan, completely understand where youre coming from here,

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
im curious about the USB 3 over ethernet or whatever it is. Please purchase that thing and get back to us

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this sort of thing drives me up the wall, I don't pretend to really understand statistics/odds but I don't really get mad at them either, what I do get mad at is knowing they're lying to me. If you tell me I have 68% chance to hit I want it to be true, I promise not to get mad if I miss

the other thing my brain refuses to accept is the monty hall problem

lmao xcom sounds so loving unfun but i do not doubt that people loveit

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
mine stays powered off every single loving time. Not that I don't believe some users are having it turn back on. Maybe plugging into a PC connected USB will do it?

anyways troubleshooting is simply impossible for some and if it elicits feelings of frustration and inferiority plz do not attempt

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BrainDance posted:

Another follow up to this, I went and did it.

I got this pcie fiber to usb3 card, figured, pcie, lower latency maybe skipping a step there. Over two 20m single mode fiber cables and then a long usb3 cable.

I believe it's made by Transwan, a Chinese company that does this sorta thing. The thing is, on their website everything in dollars is like 300 minimum, the pcie card alone is 298 dollars. But here, the whole thing + cable was 1052RMB or about $160 USD. No idea what's up with that, I kind of wonder if there is a way to buy it for cheaper directly from China and import it to other countries.

But either way, after a rocky start (Windows didnt recognize it at first until I took it out and put it back in, I discovered you have to disable airlink to get normal link working again, I found out a setting I had set in oculus debug tool that works great for air link causes a major graphical glitch in normal link, the Quest guardian is still poo poo that causes stuttering and I think my guardian was too small during testing and the problem went away disabling guardian completely, there was a lot of swearing involved) it seems to work completely fine.

Played a little beat saber to test it out and was as if it wasn't over about maybe 30m of cable.

Now I wonder what the limits are. The max length for single mode fiber is 40km, gonna need someone who lives in an open, flat area that is not densely populated to figure that out for me.

Now I gotta go get all this loving cable up in my ceiling.

incredible!! you are a trailblazer in the realm of homes wired for VR thank you

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

r u ready to WALK posted:

having a facebook account just for the quest shouldn't be a big deal if you go through the privacy settings and ensure nobody can search for you or interact with you in any way
i've almost forgotten about mine after i turned off notifications from the main facebook app

IT IS A BIG DEAL

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

TIP posted:

I have suggested multiple times that if you really hate facebook then you should buy a quest 2 and use it only for steam but people don't seem to like the idea

the native quest 2 games are also insanely easy to pirate

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

TIP posted:

most VR developers are tiny indies (like me) and pirating their (my) poo poo is lame

ok yeah sure

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 1, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Communist Bear posted:

For some reason I can't play half life alyx, no matter what version of movement I play. Something about that game really makes me horrible nauseous. I don't get that from any other vr game and I'm quite used to using advanced movement, but alyx is the opposite. :(

turn the settings down

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
since green hell pancake sucks poo poo im just going to go ahead and make the safe assumption

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Vrchat probably has some worlds like that...

I watched the lighthouse in a huge rooftop theater in the middle of Hong Kong in a private vr chat world. Would recommend

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

chippy posted:

3070ti adequate for a Quest 2 or should I consider a 3080?

itll definitely work but holy cow the 3080 is a big jump in performance

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the longer the cable the less it'll charge due to impedance. TBH it's best just to lean into the wirelesss

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
bilbo's home is the most gpu intensive environment I can think of

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the quest native VRchat works well enough to at least use the movie theater worlds so it's hard to say if it's bad or not

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
wabbajack as a mod installer for skyrim is pretty incredible, used to take hours to install a deluge of mods now it basically takes 15 minutes (not counting the automated download process)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
superhot assumes you have a huge fuggin space to play in and has no locomotion so gently caress that game

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Perestroika posted:

I haven't tried it myself yet, but last time the topic came up people were pointing towards this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/qpkdqc/for_modding_start_here/

wabbajack is the opposite of a lot. It pretty much just self-installs

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm just not clear on what that means. Is it a separate file that you download it all into, and then copy over to your skyrim directory?

yeah I agree that this part was annoyingly opaque, thankfully the specific modpack i was looking to install had directions directly addressing this

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

forest spirit posted:

When I impale a guy six ways from Sunday and watch him strain out an "Euhh!" as he crabwalks around looking like a porcupine I can't help but laugh

Blade & Sorcery has just, so so much besides just stabbing violence. All of the magic spells are good fun, especially on the staves, and there are so many mods with other magic spells and things like Spiderman webbing that when I read impressions that it's too violent, I just have to ask how you're playing.

If you're new to the game, not trying stuff out or moving much, and just you really only have the imagination to stab someone, it starts to feel weird.

I haven't seen anyone play it like a murder sim. I don't see people torturing the writhing AI homies, unless that's all they think they're capable of: stab? slow stab? grab them... and stab their eye? Slash at them like Gorn?

Don't play that way.

This sounds directed at you but I'm not trying, I just hear this sentiment a lot and I get it fersher but it just feels like people are clutching pearls a lil bit

I have murdered so many people in the stab simulator at this point. Blade and sorcery rules even if you just play it american psycho style

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I've had extremely good luck with an Eero 6, but definitely only when I connect through the base not the mesh connected unit in another room

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Agent355 posted:

It is unfortunately very dead. I've already started the amazon return process. Unfortunately I can't get a new one on amazon because they're out of stock because of the price hike lol. Luckily best buy still had one so I just bought that instead.

I could have gone through meta support directly but I was worried about getting the run around and having them spend weeks waiting to ship it back and forth and then try and 'fix' it instead of just giving me a new one right away.

silly question, did you try holding down the power button for about 3 seconds to turn it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Not An Arsonist posted:

Would have been great if they did all this before adding in EAC, but instead they have shown they are indifferent to community feedback. Only now, when facing massive opposition, overwhelmingly negative reviews, and a good chunk of their community moving (or attempting to move) to other platforms, do they consider implementing the things we've been asking years for. Even if these are nice changes, the damage has already been done.

lmao okay

The horizon adjust being built in is awesome. The system works