Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

m.hache posted:

Tried out Blade and Sorcery and instantly felt nauseous. Didn't even leave the main area.

I know people say you'll get your VR legs eventually but man that was rough.

E: Are there any good dungeon crawlers that support vignetting/less likely to make me want to hurl?

Yeah, some games just hit you harder than others in that regard. For me Boneworks always gives me a splitting headache, even though I've got no trouble with other VR shooters at all.

In terms of dungeon crawlers, Legendary Tales recently released into EA and might be a good fit. It's basically first-person Diablo in VR and made a pretty good impression on me so far. Can't really say how it'll hit you in terms of motion sickness, but the overall pace is a lot more measured and less hectic than Blade and Sorcery.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After not touching it for the longest time, I finally gave Pistol Whip another go, and that goddamn cowboy DLC owns bones. Having just the six-shooters mixes things up nicely (particularly since enemies tend to spawn in convenient groups of 3 and 6), and the song choices are just :discourse:. I've always had a bit of trouble really hitting the rhythm with the vanilla songs, but with those it clicked really nicely.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Has anybody messed about with those gun-stock accessories for VR controllers? I've been playing a bit more Pavlov and H3 recently, but I keep running into the issue that trying to hold and aim two-handed guns is just pretty awkward and shaky in VR. I've seen a few doodads on offer that basically let you slot your controllers into some sort of rigid stock you can hold against your shoulder, but the reviews on those seem pretty mixed, and they're not exactly cheap, either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The best part about Blaston is that in the very first match against an actual human, we first shot the poo poo out of each other and then we high-fived. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Hitman: How do you actually launch a hybrid VR title from within the Epic Games launcher? It doesn't seem to offer any option to launch into VR or have something like SteamVR.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

When I launched Hitman now it says "VR Detected, do you want to start in VR mode?"

So I'm probably just going to open Virtual Desktop on my quest and launch the game through EGS choosing VR mode and Steam VR should take care of the rest.

Ah, thanks! I'll try launching SteamVR and starting it through the virtual desktop as well, then.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The placement of the cutscene screen in Hitman is also kind of weird. It doesn't seem where I initially looked on starting the game, nor where my SteamVR default points. Instead it's just kind of at knee height a fair distance away, and rotated about 45į away from me. Very odd.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Argue posted:

Any opinions on AGAINST? With that title, it's not exactly the easiest thing to search for in this thread.

I jumped on it, it's alright but feels rather sparse so far. It's got a very cool visual style, but doesn't really do anything much different or better than Beat Saber or Pistol Whip, really, and the rhythm part of the game feels a bit understated.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After asking about VR gun stocks earlier in the thread I decided to go with the recommendation for the protube, and drat this thing is actually really neat. Shooter games feel way more intuitive and kinetic with that. I'm no longer just awkwardly wriggling my controllers towards the target hoping for a lucky hit, but was actually able to deliberately take aim at things and hit them on purpose. I was kinda worried that it might be awkward to get the controllers in and out of the thing on the fly, but after a few rounds that went right into the muscle memory and works just fine. Pavlov went from a "maybe if there's a cool custom map around" to something that I genuinely enjoy playing regularly even just with the default game modes.

Mind, it's still kind of stupid expensive for what's basically a couple of tubes and some plastic molds, but at least it feels solidly built and is good at doing what it's supposed to.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481780/Dragon_Fist_VR_Kung_Fu/
This feels great. A bit ugly with some wonky IK, but unlike any other VR game with melee combat it doesn't feel like a glitchfest with constant clipping and physics issues. I've only played the demo so far, but am going to purchase it, shooting the gun early on this post because I was so impressed and it's free to try.

Ben Plays VR did a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPYb0JIaExU

Oh huh, I'd been giving that a pass so far because it seemed super janky, but that video is actually about to convince me otherwise. The one other punchy game I've tried so far is Thrill of the Fight, and my main beef with that is that it becomes rather one-note really quick because after a while you're pretty much just throwing hooks at the guy's head. This one seems quite a bit more varied with the various hit zones, special moves, and characters. Plus I can't stop giggling at the guy whose special move is just pulling out a gat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, acclimation is a real thing, though I've found it mostly happens fairly quickly. The first couple times I played VTOL VR or Star Wars Squadrons I really felt it when I was doing corkscrews and whatnot, but in either case I got used to it inside of an hour. Meanwhile Boneworks still gives me a murder headache very quickly even after a combined 8 hours played.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hell yeah. I thought there's actually a bit of a dearth of "classic" singleplayer VR shooters in PC, and this one seems right up that alley. Plus the 40k setting could be pretty cool in VR if they manage to pull off the scale.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I really gotta give Elite VR a try one of these days. When I played it on desktop the black holes in there always gave me a weird existential twinge of horror, and I'm sure in VR that's just gonna be :discourse:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is there a good add on gun handle for the quest, or at least a version not to get?

I can shoot well in real life but in vr, holy poo poo I'm bad at this. I think it's because of the way the controller fits in my hand vs a gun.

Just didn't know if there was a go to, or a "just light your money on fire, it'll work better than that" option.

Is this just about the angle of the grip in general or specifically for two-handed guns? If the latter, I just recently got the Magtube for my Vive to I'm really happy with it. It's frankly overpriced for what's essentially a couple tubes and holders, but it does the job well. Also feels quite immersive to actually have to wrangle around a roughly rifle-length thing in reality while you're playing.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 2, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also perhaps of note is that there's apparently a virtual cockpit mod for Elite: Dangerous VR. The game itself is natively VR-compatible but intended to be played with a HOTAS or controller, but that mod supposedly lets you play it like VTOL VR, where you can use your VR controllers to reach out and flip switches or grab the stick within your cockpit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of shooters, I've recently been trying Payday 2 for a bit and I'm having a surprisingly good time with it. It's a fun, more arcadey change of pace from the relatively more "realistic" shooters like Onward or Pavlov. I was initially a bit skeptical with having no manual reloads and barely needing to use the sights, but playing a round where I ended up frantically repairing the drill with one hand while spraying my rifle over my shoulder with the other to hold off cops showed me that it works really well in practice. And with the lower difficulties being so forgiving, you can totally do dumb poo poo like dualwielding Desert Eagles and practicing gun katas in the middle of the street.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like Blaston but it takes ages to get a match and I feel like I'm playing it wrong because I am winning most of my matches but am not getting any real workout. Also I dunno how populated it really is in Europe time, I feel like I just keep timing out, fighting the same people twice in a row or getting stuck in bot matches.

Started playing Sairento and it kicks rear end, the slowmo backflips give me the only slight queasiness I've ever had in VR lol but it's manageable

Yeah, it's the same for me. Matchmaking takes a while, and I end up going up against the same people every time. And since I'm still in the low MMR where I win 99% of the time, it just kinda felt bad constantly dumping on the same people over and over again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Last but not least, Alyx still has the absolute best way of picking up items from around the world with the whole flick-catch thing. It's not only much more convenient than manually bending over to pick stuff up, it turns a normally uninteresting gameplay interaction that you'd never spend a though on into something actually fun and rewarding.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've just dipped my toe into Elite Dangerous VR with the cockpit mod, and holy poo poo. I've only just managed to finish the first tutorial, but I'm already in awe. The size and detail of the cockpits really works in its favour. It really impresses the scale of your ship on you, especially when you do stuff like reach out, flip a switch to open up hardpoints, and then see and almost feel the big guns clunking out right in front of you.

That said, goddamn is it fiddly. Elite already got a significant amount of fiddliness just by default, and the mod adds another level to it. Binding something to a virtual joystick button takes like five separate operations in the right order, and the mod occasionally ends up bugging out in unexpected ways. But once you've actually got it all set up it's genuinely great, you can have holographic buttons for very nearly all your ship's functions arrayed around you with self-explanatory icons and tooltips. For a mod, that is an absolutely staggering achievement. It's an outright better VR implementation than what a lot of actual paid games manage (looking at you, Hitman).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Ooh that sounds like fun! I just yesterday bought Elite Dangerous myself. Got a link?

Sure, this is the one: https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit. The documentation is pretty good and should cover most of it. Note that the holographic buttons automatically press whatever button their respective function is mapped to, so you don't need to manually bind them like you need to do with the joystick buttons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oooh, I wonder if you can use this in conjunction with a hotas? Iíd like to steer the ship with it and still have a bunch of floating buttons for all of my functions.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to, yeah. The mod basically just gives you two virtual joysticks that you can bind controls to, there's nothing that should keep you from just ignoring one or both of them and just using your hotas binds instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of watching shows and such in VR, is there a good solution for having a small window of a media player (or browser window) as a sort of overlay in your VR space while another app is active? I've been playing some more Elite Dangerous, and it's the kind of game where having some sort of show running in the background would come in handy on those long stretches of quiet travel.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

XR Overlay is exactly what you want.

Great, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

It's funny that I almost never encounter Gamer Words in Pavlov; a game you'd expect to draw in those types in droves.

Yeah, Pavlov of all places is oddly chill, perhaps because by nature of VR shooters you can't really go super competitive and it's more focused about loving around. Even in Onward, where I'd expect the most sweaty wannabe online operators, everybody was pretty welcoming and supportive. Though it's also filled with a weird amount of actual children.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

njsykora posted:

Thatís always been Beat Saberís thing that the music sucks.

I kinda like Be There For You :shobon:

But yeah, most of them are pretty bad, especially when I was trying campaign and just got hit with the same not very good five songs over and over again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I took the plunge on Battle Sister since it just released on Steam and it's solidly middling.

The good:
- The guns feel chunky and satisfying and have some great nice visual detail them.
- The combat is appropriately arcardey and allows for a nice flow including both shooting and melee combat
- They did a nice job on the scale of things, VR really lets you feel just how much of an absolute unit the average Space Marine is
- The writing's better than I expected so far. Nothing revolutionary, but you do get the sense that the writers had fun with it.

The bad:
- The environments are visually very sparse, even for a VR game. They try their best to capture the 40k aesthetic, but unfortunately they don't have the extreme ornate detail that requires
- The melee combat is very barebones. You basically just sort of whap people and their body parts fall off.
- Interacting with the inventory is a bit finicky, I keep accidentally hurling my sword over my shoulder when I'm trying to holster it.

Overall I enjoy it, especially since there's kind of a dearth of shooter/action VR games with an actual campaign. If you like 40k it's probably worth a try, if you don't you can pretty much take it or leave it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Every loving time
https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, it's mostly just good for some cardio as you go ham, not so much for an actually structured workout. On that note, I had my best results there with Dragon Fist. Something about the game really encourages just flailing wildly as fast as you possibly can.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 14, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vaguely related to HL2 VR, something that occurred to me a while back: I've played most of the big VR shooters now, but so far none of them really managed to implement recoil of automatic weapons well. Nearly all of them go with the old shooter standard of having the gun climb up, and that just doesn't quite feel right. It works on flat games because there your control inputs are all relative to your current aimpoint and you can just pull them down to compensate. But with motion controls your input is absolute, and trying to compensate for recoil this way leads to you having to aim away from the thing you're trying to shoot, which just feels off. Really, the best/least distracting approach I've played so far was Payday 2, which just goes "lmao what's recoil?" and abstracts the whole thing just through bullet dispersion without touching your point of aim.

In fairness, there might just not be a good solution to this, at least not until controllers with force feedback or much more powerful vibrations happen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God if they managed to make a VR Chivalry or an actual proper VR Killing Floor... :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Boneworks remains basically the one game that always gives me motion sickness and a headache right away. Literally every other VR game is fine, including flight sims, but that one always does me in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

The trick is that once you grab on to the gun you can move your hands wherever you want, allowing you to brace one arm with the other. A little tougher with shotguns but works with most rifles.

Stocks like Pro/MagTube is the high end option, but dealing with those kinds of accessories can get fiddly.

Yeah, I went and sprang for one of those tubes, and I gotta say it made all shooters feel way more natural and immersive. Before, it constantly felt like I was fighting the controls more than the opponents, and actually hitting anything was more a matter of accident than design. But with that thing it actually feels like I'm aiming at things with purpose and hitting them intentionally.

But then again, they really are dummy expensive for what's really just a couple of tubes and some 3D-printed holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One time I managed to throw an axe directly into a guy's face in Blade and Sorcery and giggled about it for ten minutes straight. I have never managed to hit anything with a throw on purpose before or since. Without having actual mass in your hand and grip on the object it just doesn't really mirror actual throwing. It's close enough to make it feel like you should be able to do it intuitively, but just off enough that it doesn't really feel right. For each game you basically have to relearn just how exactly it handles throw velocity and gravity, it never really feels natural.