Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Yeah, so far that's been my only complaint with the Quest. It's fine and all, but I can imagine it's probably a lower res coming from my pc than it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

The tweaks to increase the encode resolution for Link make a big difference.

Oh? I honestly haven't looked up a ton of optimization tweaks for the link (or for Virtual Desktop, which I honestly am more likely to use, since the whole reason I got the Quest over anything else was the fact that the area in my apartment directly adjacent to my PC is often under space-contention. My roommate is a bit of a space-hog.)

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Is Arizona.... Whatever the rest of the zombie game's name is... As good as I keep hearing? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I'd probably rather just have it on my Quest rather than on Steam VR at the moment.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Don't bother. It was a VR launch game and was never anything special other that being the first shooty game with some basic semblance of a single player campaign.

Is it -bad-? Because I figured a sale price would be a worthwhile time to get it.

Honestly, I'd love to play through Skyrim or Fallout 4 again in VR, but... 60 loving dollars -each-? gently caress Bethesda, sometimes (most of the time).

That said, is the Doom 3 VR mod worth checking out, and is it possible to get installed on a non-BFG edition of the game?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Doom 3 VR is definitely worth checking out, but I'm 99% sure you need the BFG edition.

Yeah, that was what I was reading... Just wondered if it was possible without. ANOTHER BETHESDA RE-BUY. I only have the regular edition.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Shine posted:

The Doom 3 VR mod is very well done, but Doom 3 itself has some of the most pillowy, unsatisfying weapons weapons in FPS history, so I ended up uninstalling it after an hour or two.

If Doom 3's pea shooters don't bother you, then you'll have a blast.

I enjoyed it well enough. I think I played it young enough (and hadn't played enough of the actual classic doom) that the weapons felt just chunky enough to be satisfying. I haven't played it since, of course, so for all I know I could just grab it and have instant regret. :shrug:

Wouldn't be the first time.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Has anyone played Half Life: Alyx on a Quest specifically? I got mine in the mail the other day for use on a project unrelated to gaming but Alyx is the one VR game (besides maybe Beat Saber) that I'm interested in. Saw a review which tested it on all the major headsets and said pretty clearly that the Quest is the worst of the bunch and the controllers are ill-equipped for interacting with things in the game world, but maybe they're functional enough to still have fun with it. I ordered a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable to interface with my PC directly so performance shouldn't be as much of an issue, but if it's going to be a subpar experience due to the controllers I'm not sure I'll bother.

I played with a quest with a video card that was pretty sub-par. There was some clear issues, which probably would mess with someone less used to having a big screen in their face than me. That said, it otherwise was perfectly fine. Depending on setup, I would highly recommend using the sideloaded (buy it on Oculus Quest and sideload the bits that let you hook through SteamVR) Virtual Desktop to bypass using a cord altogether. I honestly have felt like the performance using that has been more consistent (i.e. less wonky than the Oculus VR software that adds another layer from headset-to-SteamVR) than wiring it up. I used the recommended Anker USB3 cable.

I've not done a ton of experimentation since getting a much better video card, yet, but what little I messed with seems like it's about the same, to be honest. Just a narrower margin of difference.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Congobongo posted:

Invested a few minutes in getting Virtual Desktop setup to play Alyx on my Quest.

Holy poo poo it plays better than I expected. The only issue I'm running into is an audio one. When the striders walk by my headphones get distorted, is there a sound option I need to adjust within VD?

I don't have a good solution for this. I have a wireless headset so I just ran audio from my PC directly. There was a lot of distortion on loud effects in VD, and I don't know if there's a solution (or if it might be a Quest fault).

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

For those that want to play Skyrim VR but not pay 60 loving dollars for a years old game, it's on sale for 18 bucks USD at the moment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/611670/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_VR/

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I've had an issue with my Quest where the display hangs and lags when I wake it/put it on after it's been off for anywhere from a couple hours to a few days. It's consistently doing it, and the only solution/suggestion I saw was to clear the Guardian history, which hasn't worked (it seemed to at first, but it still does it just as often even if I clear it every session now). Has anyone had any experience with this? I basically have to reboot it right before using it for it to work properly.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

You have any weird sideloaded apps on it? I know a couple were causing stability issues even when they weren't being used.

Only BMBF and whatever the sideloaded thing is to install link functionality in Virtual Desktop.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Latency can be around 2-3 frames. You can compensate by taking a step forward, or simply by getting used to it, but I was having a lot of trouble pulling off expert tracks with either Link or VD compared to native or Vive.

My rig runs most PC games pretty well, but having played mainly on the Quest itself, the link (and Virtual Desktop link) latency was absolutely terrible to try and deal with by comparison. I don't think I'll get any rhythm games on the PC, and will probably stick to onboard Quest games.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I'm pretty new to this stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question but this is really only an issue if you are using the Quest or Link (?) hooked up to a PC right?

The normal Rift S wouldn't have that issue?

Pretty much. The link, both direct and with VD, have an intermediary software layer, whereas the other headsets are more of a direct video feed (not -exactly-, but there's definitely more overhead with the Quest comparatively).

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

seravid posted:

Now I'm wondering how bad it really is, since I have no frame of reference. I'm playing hard and expert versions of most songs and while I'm not acing them or anything, I do alright.

I'll definitely try the native app when I get home to compare.

I definitely noticed it with both Link cable and VD, but it's possible that VD might be better coded and my wireless/ethernet aren't exactly up to snuff to best support it.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Are there any recommendations for straps for the Quest? I'm looking into a glasses spacer and some prescription lens inserts so I don't have to have my glasses on. Max out my QoL.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

The DAS is recommended a lot, but I have a friend who purchased one of these recently and swears by it. https://www.magp90.com/Comfort-Strap-for-Oculus-Quest-2020-Latest-Version-p1161984.html

There are some halo strap mods out there before that were cheap FDM 3d printed and broke, but apparently this one is really good and sturdy. Worth a look for anyone that doesn't want to drop DAS prices and trying to find one.

I actually meant the hand-straps to allow the whole not-having-to-grip-the-controllers thing since it was mentioned a few posts earlier. I probably should be looking into that as well, though. Right now my priorities are glasses spacer, prescription inserts, controller straps, and then probably anything else after.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Nalin posted:

The Quest ships with a glasses spacer. Was it not enough for you? You take off the face plate, toss in the spacer, and then re-attach the face plate. It gives you a little bit of extra depth within the headset for your glasses.

I bought my Quest secondhand and realized too late it didn't have it in the box. I spoke with Oculus support to see if they can get me another, but it's taking a while for obvious reasons.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

hhhat posted:

I tried a couple of them and they felt really empty... I think for a shooty game i'd prefer to be doing an on rails thing like the old school arcade games? just send waves of aliens or whatever my way and let me mow them down

also having to do all the manual hold things on the weapons is kinda neat but not fun at all, just let me 'pick it up' without having to hold down a specific button and let me just clicky clicky the targets

its still neat i just cant imagine playing it a bunch at all

Oddly enough, I liked all of that, but I couldn't stand any of the control schemes offered. Just clashed too hard with every other game's control scheme, at least with the Oculus.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Does anyone have any suggestions for inset prescription lenses for my headset? One I looked at started at 45 bucks, but pumped up to like 150 after my prescription. Another was around 81, but required international shipping of 30 bucks due to being based in the UK.

Just trying to figure how I can price it with minimal extra poo poo tacking on like that.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Is there a reason that HL Alyx ran almost perfectly on my earlier, shittier hardware, and now that I'm upgraded I get the weird jittering poo poo constantly when I run it?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Are you using oculus link? A recent update lets you set quality profiles for the streaming, only the default 'automatic' setting is, in their own words 'aggressive', which I'm guessing means pushes a little too hard in the graphical quality direction. But maybe try tweaking those settings via the Oculus app on your pc.

Nuts and Gum posted:

When I upgraded to a new video card Steam VR auto set a bunch of poo poo really high, definitely check you aren't pushing crazy resolutions in the SteamVR settings.

I use VD mostly, I'm on Quest. I also use the upscale hack, but that hasn't affected any performance elsewhere. Every other game seems fine, it's just Alyx that seems to glitch like crazy on me. Even if I pop it down to the lowest settings.

EDIT: I've used Link before, but it's somehow glitchier than VD is.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I hope the Myst VR game is good, honestly. I really enjoyed Obduction, but when I tried to play through it a second time in VR, it didn't work at all with the Oculus.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Speaking of No Man's Sky, is there a way of making the flight stuff use the sticks instead of wonky motion controls? I keep wanting to play more in VR, but everything is so gigantic in scale (in a weirdly chunky way) and the ship controls just feel bad.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

As a Quest owner, how much of an upgrade is the 2 as far as wireless streaming in particular? Is the resolution leaps and bounds better?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I'm having some issues with Elite Dangerous, and have searched and searched and not found the particular issue, so I figured I'd toss a post here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I own E:D on steam, and generally it launches just fine -- Except since I use an Oculus Quest through Oculus Link, even when I launch via steam, it minimizes SteamVR on Oculus's menu system and opens a second 'window', hooking E:D through Oculus instead of Steam. This makes all of my steam-hooked overlays stop working, and while I haven't noticed any real performance issues, it means there's 2 VR environments running at the same time (SteamVR and any overlays not displayed, but running in background, AND ED running).

My question is this: Is there any way, with Oculus Link running, to force-hook the game through SteamVR instead, so I can actually use my overlays? Alternatively, is there a way to run the Quest's Virtual Desktop via a wired connection of some sort, since it seems to bypass Oculus Link entirely?

To note, I've tried using Virtual Desktop's connection wirelessly, and unfortunately my apartment has too much interference. I've run the connection directly from the Quest to my PC running a 5ghz wireless card as a hotspot, and it's still a sub-par experience compared to wiring it up, Oculus's bullshit aside.

EDIT: To note, it's the original Quest, not the Quest 2.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 25, 2021

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Private Speech posted:

You can try using ReVive for the ultimate facebook-ception.

This is a serious suggestion.

e: actually that would probably break oculus link, well, you can try I guess

So the function there would be re-hooking the oculus hook into steam?

... If I can't find anything better, I guess I might as well. Most things I see that 'exclude' the oculus store hook usually involve stopping the process entirely which, obviously, tends to gently caress up oculus link.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Navigate to the actual game executable
\SteamApps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\EliteDangerous64.exe
Right click and select properties.
Select the Compatibility tab.
Check Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Select Windows 7 from the drop down.
Click OK.

Oculus can't run in win 7 anymore and forces games to dump into openvr if available. Not "all" games work due to bindings not existing in openvr potentially but ED does work if i remember correctly.

Holy poo poo, this seems to have worked.

Now to figure out all of the weird issues that seem to only happen when E:D is running... :haw:

Thanks!

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is an extremely good loving headset. Buy it if you are able to.

drat it, I just bought prescription inserts for my quest, don't tempt me to get a better one now! :qq:

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Get a second VR headset. :getin:

Believe me, I actually want to, but marriage means accepting which purchases are likely to get you kicked in the bollocks and trying to avoid those. :shepspends:

(Or at least being aware of which kicks to the bollocks are going to be bearable.)

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

So, since I've had some good suggestions when I can't seem to find options when googling oddly specific issues, I'll pose another question re: Quest here:

I have a 5ghz wireless card and the ability to set up a wi-fi hotspot via that card. Are there any optimizations I may be missing that is preventing this hotspot from performing optimally in terms of connecting my Oculus Quest to it for the purposes of Virtual Desktop? Would other wi-fi signals in the apartment cause interference, or is the fact that VD gives me the 'less than adequate' connection warning simply because I don't have it set up right? Is the hotspot option even viable for the most part?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

explosivo posted:

I heard the hotspot thing wasn't all it's cracked up to be, hard wiring your PC to a 5ghz router should be sufficient. I have a standard-rear end Archer C7 with no special setup at all and it works pretty flawlessly in my apartment on 5ghz and there's wifi signals all over the drat place here.

I have a 5ghz router, but it's the one the rest of my home uses, so it's busy as hell, and still gives that same message, so I assume it's a matter of bandwidth? I'm a bit unclear. I've seen stuff both ways on the hotspot situation, which is why I'm wondering if there's some particular setting/setup for it. It may also be that my home is just so wi-fi busy (as well as being an apartment complex, so lots of other routers nearby i'd imagine) that the interference is just too heavy for a dedicated video feed to get enough mileage.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Facts. My graveyard/VR tub these days.
CV1
OG Vive
2 Vive Pros
Cosmos Elite
2 Quest 2

Finally sold the quest 1s as we were up to freaking 9 headsets. Its so easy to let them pile the gently caress up.

How much is someone willing to buy a quest 1 for? I probably won't go in for another until I can sell my current one.

EDIT: also, how interchangable are the lens inserts between different headsets? I wouldn't be able to use these quest prescription inserts on another brand, would I?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I'm having some swimmy-vision issues with a few games on Oculus Link with the first Quest. I can't really pinpoint the cause, but it seems to happen more on more 'realistic' and higher-res games. (Notably, Elite Dangerous and H3VR, I think it also happened in Boneworks) Seems to be a bit of each eye going a little 'off' from one another, but again, I'm unsure what might cause it other than possibly high settings? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Grashnak posted:

my guess would be that you are triggering ASW which is when the game can't achieve whatever refresh rate your headset is running at so it instead runs at half that and then it interpolates the frames in between. I've only really noticed it in beat saber but it does do that swimmy thing a bit because it does not go well with anything that isn't moving at a constant speed relative to your vision.

It is possible to turn asw off using the oculus debug tool but you need to do it every time you connect your headset which gets pretty annoying.

Sorry this is ages late to respond, but I opened the debug tool without the headset connected and it seems to already be disabled (Asynchronous Spacewarp I assume) -- will it just turn on when the headset is connected?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I haven't checked things out in a while, are there any good affordable (i.e. preferably at or below 2-300 bux) options for seated/stationary standing VR headsets (i.e. no lanterns required)?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Quest 2. OP is still relatively up to date.

Are there any similarly priced non-Quest-Link-required headsets that are nearly/around as good? I own the original quest, and Oculus's software really made the experience awful for me.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

marumaru posted:

get a q2 and use oculess?

Doesn't it still have to be hooked through Oculus Link software, though? (If oculess circumvented Oculus software on the PC entirely, I'd just do that with my current quest, I'm not -that- obsessed with getting better quality, just getting all of this oculus horseshit out of the way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

njsykora posted:

You could buy Virtual Desktop, it's wireless but it also bypasses the Oculus PC software in favour of using OpenXR and Steam VR unless you're specifically launching something from the Oculus store.

This worked early on, but lately my wifi has been garbage enough that it hasn't worked so well.

EDIT: If I could just hotspot my PC, I'd do that, but there's specific issues that arise from it.