Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Luneshot posted:

I've got no interest in standalone VR, and will almost certainly be using a headset for only PC gaming, most of which is going to be stuff like Elite:Dangerous and other seated experiences. I genuinely think the Rift S would be better for my needs.

Is there any appreciable chance of a Rift S price cut in the near future, or should I just see if I can get one cheap off someone upgrading to a Quest?

If you can wait until the quest link cable is released then you could probably get a better deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
In the early days somebody made a Godzilla simulator but it got shut down pretty hard.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Danknificent posted:

I'm really liking Pistol Whip.

Do you guys think there might be custom levels one day like for Beat Saber?

On one of Tested's recent videos they talked about the process they have to go through to create each level. Some of it is procedural but a lot of it has to be designed by hand for every level.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Custom levels wouldn't necessary have to be as good as the normal ones to be worth having. Even if the level was simpler, being able to play custom songs would still be a fun diversion.

I mean, never say never, considering people just found a way to hack custom levels into Dark Souls.

But without developer support, it is gonna be hard. Its significantly more to it than beat saber levels, having both enemies spawning, moving around, and level geometry.

Yeah I agree, it will take developer support to work well. If they make the procedural part more robust then it could be amazing!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Is there any way to know if my Quest is updating itself? Or do I just need to let it sit still for a while and be patient like a non-idiot child?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

In the Quest, go to settings then all settings and you can see your current version there and probably force it to check for an update. You can probably toggle auto-update on/off in there too but you can also set that via the Oculus app on your phone by going to settings, clicking on the Quest, then I think it's under advanced or something.

I'm closing this ticket for now.

I have done all that already but there is nowhere that says "update right the gently caress now dammit" and I'm frustrated.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Finally got my quest to update. I also found that most of my USB c cables were 2.0 because I tried to transfer a large data file from a portable SSD and they would only get about 30 megabytes per second. I finally found a couple with USB 3 speeds and I took the active USB 3 extender from one of my wall mounted sensors and plug that into the quest. I tried messing around in the Oculus home area and I also played some elite dangerous and I found the experience to be better than my OG rift but I don't have a rift s to compare it to. I could not find any compression issues or artifacts at all for most of the time. But when I got into a dog fight in elite dangerous then the signal froze a couple of times.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At the end you have the option to kiss Gordon on the lips OR play fetch with Dog but you can’t do both.

Like that's a real choice?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

You need the Quest app for Virtual Desktop ($20) or ALVR (free) to stream wirelessly. ALVR is a couple milliseconds less latency, but Virtual Desktop has far higher quality (indistinguishable from local in my opinion) and seems to be more resilient against disruption.

My router is the Asus RT-AC68U, but it seems to be out of production.

The newer version is the Asus AC1900: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-Renewed/dp/B07WQ1ZFQD/

If you want to try to save even more money, you can get the T-Mobile branded version (simplified features, forces T-Mo phones onto Wifi Calling) here and flash it back into a standard router: https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-ASUS-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-AiProtection/dp/B075GYWPCJ/

You want to set the channel width to 40mhz to minimize stuttering. I'd get the router on Amazon and get Virtual Desktop when you're ready to try so you're within the return window for the app if it isn't performant enough for you.

I think I have the same router as you. Is yours setup as a wireless bridge? That is what I'm trying and even with me sitting next to it my connection is lousy. I'm using DD-WRT. Are you using the stock firmware?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

So this probably has been asked 100 times, but interested in the goon modern opinion since it's been out for awhile now...

Do you think it's worth getting the 128gb quest over the 64gb? I don't see myself sideloading much movies and media, since I'd probably just stream netflix on the thing - but I can imagine playing a fair few games on it.

64 seems quite low by modern standards.

I guess I'm the minority here but I'm over 64GB on my Quest and I don't have that many games one it. Maybe I loaded a movie on it and forgot, I dunno...

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Tested just tested Half Life: Alyx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T54aGkkXfuc

Edit: They test a lot of different headsets and talk about them. Here is my summary:

Index
-Headset: Excellent
-Controllers: Excellent

Rift S
-Headset: Great
-Controllers: Good-Great

Quest
-Headset: Good-Great (Really benefits from DAS mod)

OG Vive
-Headset: Good-Great (Lower resolution but still perfectly sericeable for the game, recommend DAS)
-Controllers: Meh-Average (Shape of controllers gets in the way when reloading and stuff, suggest Knuckles upgrade for HLA)

Vive Cosmos
-Headset: Good-Great
-Headset: Meh (Tracking issues close to face or out of cameras FOV)

OG Rift (Played sitting)

WMR (The New Samsung One)
-Controllers: Meh-Average (tracking close to face problems, tracking rings get in the way, less hand presence)

Pimax 5K (Used Knuckles)
-Headset: Average-Good
-Controllers: Same as above
-Controllers:

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 19, 2019

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

It is quite janky, however if it was enabled in Skybox or Prime VR I would use the janky hand tracking over controllers.

Songbearer posted:

I really like Boneworks but it does lean on the "solid proof of concept" side whereas Alyx is going to be one hell of an actual game. Still, it's hard to argue that Boneworks proof of concept is a really, really convincing one, motion sickness aside. I really do love how hard it adheres to "gently caress your comfort options, you're on my turf now" and when you learn how to navigate the world the freedom you get is really special. I love being able to vault up stuff and make my own platforms, or brace my gun on top of my arm.

Danith posted:

I had the same experience with hand tracking. My ghost hands are always sort of twitching and it doesn't reliably catch the gestures. I couldn't do the recenter motion at all, but it is neat in a proof-of-concept sort of way

Is this gonna be another goon thing like the *______________* IPD issue? Like does a certain subset of goons have ninja turtle hands or something? All joking aside, the hand tracking was pretty spot on for me with very little shaking. It was a frame or two behind my actual movements but accurate.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The hand tracking blinks out and stops recognizing your hands for a bit if you make fast gestures just to gently caress with it, which is all the fun of hand tracking. If actually using it to control menus, it's fine but not even close to as accurate as a controller or remote or other physical object.

Okay, I admit it, they scanned my hands in as the default model. And I'M the one with ninja turtle hands. TWIST

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I don't know, maybe I'm just valvetime shy but the feeling I've been getting from the news articles and that tested video is that they are still right in the middle of development.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

It seems Oculus is gifting Asgard's Wrath with the official Link cable?
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eene9z/just_woke_up_to_this_email_oculus_is_giving_me/

It would really sweeten up the otherwise expensive price.

I didn't get that deal (at least not yet, I ordered the day it came out) so don't jump on that until something official is announced.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Boneworks and Zero Caliber have the same problem which should be a major UI sin at this point: just because the player is in-game crouching via a button doesn't mean you should move the holster point away from where their real-life hip is.

Boneworks could also be a bit more generous with its latch points, it's very easy to toss something over your shoulder instead of mount it on your back.

I still can't figure out where exactly my pistols or accessory item are supposed to be on my body. Also, I'm chubby so grabbing ammo off my hip is really difficult unless I lean to that side so it thinks my waist is further out that it really is.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

Anyone have any good two-player VR recommendations? My buddy and I are trying to find stuff to play. Rec Room was a boring morass. Next we're going to try Onward (even though I prefer Pavlov) because it has co-op comp stomp. What else is good for two people?

Did you try all the RecRoom things? There are some really fun games in there like a battle royale style game and some dungeon crawler style quests.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Did someone post this Sonic the Hedgehog VR running simulator?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS6pGWK9H1E

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, you grab your own legs?

No, they mean use the crouch (down on right stick) which effectively raises your legs when you are supporting your body with your arms on a ledge. So reach out an make sure both arms are as far in on the ledge as possible then "crouch" and move your head as far forward as it will let you so that it gets close to being over your hands. If you look at your feet you can tell when your legs (which are still tucked in from "crouching") have made it onto the ledge. Then you just "uncrouch" and you are standing on the higher surface.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So I ordered a Oculus Link cable on the day of release. It was supposedly dropped off on my porch on the 27th but it never actually arrived. I filed a report with UPS and contacted Oculus too. UPS hasn't gotten back to me but Oculus is going to refund my order since there are no more in stock. Sucks that I won't get a link cable anytime soon but its cool of Oculus to go that extra mile - even though Facebook is evil I mean.

Edit: Am joking, please don't continue the evil Facebook conversation.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 3, 2020

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
This proof of concept for Quest's hand tracking looks pretty cool: https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/f5vc9i/this_looks_interesting_as_heck/

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yep that's me. Guess I didn't need an Index anyways.

Same here too.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I am sad, I hit continue so many times...I am sad. I hit buy in the first .3 seconds of it going up but no, no Index for me.
Edit: It just went through all the way.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Shipment status: Processing

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

FBS posted:

Consensus seems to be if you were able to make your payment today and have "Shipment Status: Processing" you made it into the first batch, everybody else has to wait.

But we won't know for sure til people start getting shipment notifications.

Man I hope that is true. As I mentioned before, at the hour mark I clicked "buy" as fast as my brain could process but then I was in page reload limbo for about 20-25 mintues. I guess they checked to see when you first clicked and saved that info?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Facebook AI research to possibly/eventually give Quest "67% MORE GPU POWER".
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-ai-quest-superres/

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Junk posted:

I ordered the Index kit this morning, clicked Purchase at pretty much 10:00 on the dot after hammering F5. It kept spitting an error on the shipping confirmation page but by 10:26 I managed to finish payment. Shipping status is "Processing." Does this mean I made it on time?

I had the same exact experience. From what I hear that means we made it!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Have any Index owners had problems getting their headset cameras to work? I've tried resetting the usb devices in developer settings and I can sometimes get the cameras to show up in windows camera app but Steam VR always says that there was a problem.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So apparently I have really prominent cheekbones/cheekfat that makes the Index face gasket not sit properly on my face. This causes my eyes to move out of the sweet spot. To fix this, without destructively modifying the face gasket, I Frankensteined this together from an OG Rift VRCover, some cloth and some adhesive velcro. I'm gonna buy some additional face gaskets in the future so that I can permanently modify one for myself but for now this ghetto-fabulous mod offsets my forehead so that I stay in that sweet, sweet, sweet-spot. Thank you for your time.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Thoatse posted:

I stacked 6mm of neodymium magnets at the top mounts for this reason

Hey, I like that! And I think I have some well sized magnets around here somewhere...

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Thoatse posted:

Here's a pic for anyone that might not have visualized how the Index facial interface works and how easily it can be dialed for their face. I think mine were 6x3mm, two on each upper mount. Might even throw another on it but 6mm was a big improvement on already good ergonomics. I don't have particularly high cheekbones, just found I needed to tilt it a bit fwd to get a better sweet spot which made it dig in. Seemed like many had the same discomfort for the same reason but it's easy to adjust.

I ended up using your magnet mod as well as my forehead cushion mod. Maybe my forehead is just concave? Thanks again for the awesome tip.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
What is the best SteamVR desktop overlay program again? I know somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread. I'm looking for whatever is closest to the ease of use of Oculus Dash 2.0. Thanks in advance.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Asema posted:

Hello I am a big loving idiot. Please make fun of me for the next question: This seems oculus based but I have an index, should I still do this y/n

While this is potentially a bigger problem for Oculus users, it is still good for Index users to disable the automatic supersampling setting. Especially if you want to play at a higher framerate like 120 or 144. Just set the supersampling to 100%

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I discovered my Index headset's passthrough cameras don't work. When I run the test from the SteamVR settings it says it can't communicate. I tried using every other USB port on my mobo but this is the only one that (sort of) works. What's weird is if I open the Windows 10 camera app I can see the cameras video feed, so I know it works. God damned USB...

This fixed the advanced settings problem. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. Some people say they fixed it by changing their "Camera Privacy Settings" in Windows but that didn't work for me. I can get the cameras to show up in Windows camera app too but sometimes it gives an error saying that another program is conflicting/has access to the camera. I wonder if some program on my computer is calling "dibs" on the camera before SteamVR can claim it...I dunno.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Does that have cameras on it? What are those things on the bottom?

No, its just a design choice to make it look more like the Quest.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Nektu posted:

Is there a way to play Lone Echo with SteamVR?

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone even trust VNN? It was just random news about valve that anyone could have found until the guy finally pestered Gabe enough to get one video interview and then people treated them like some trusted news source. I trust them as much as that guy that makes the fake Oculus newspaper pictures.

I mean, when I watch his videos he seems to temper his leaks with disclaimers. It's not like he claims everything he releases is the gospel truth.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I loved this Index gun foregrip design so much I remixed it to add room for Valve's grip boosters: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4310742

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Alien Isolation is only $2 right now on Steam fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Based on their roadmap, you can’t aim with the controller? Which I assume means you aim with your head? If so, I’ll wait.

I mean, its $2...