Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What do you believe is "Unknown" here, in the Steam survey?

Rift S or Index?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BMan posted:

the graph has more headsets in it than this table for some reason

Uh, you are right. Well, for people who haven't seen it...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tested Cosmos review

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The comfort factor maybe good point in favor of Rift S, you are going to play long sessions with flight sims.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My own interpretation is that Apple noticed AR is still too far away to offer a good, solid, polished product, usable in the real world, which is why their team was disbanded. A partnership with Valve makes sense because if even it's done in collaboration between the two, it will be released under Valve's name so the expectations of what a iProduct has to be quality wise won't be there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fuzz posted:

I think their logic was A- having something that lays flat on a table easily, and B- not actually consulting with a gaming controller design firm because now it's Facebook, not actual Oculus proper doing all the legwork.

I love how people can go and say any bullshit on Internet. They bought a famous design firm, the ones that did the first Touch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I can't be mad. Dude is rich enough and has enough clout to do whatever he fancies, so he is doing just that. He is living the scientist-nerd dream.
TBH, I feel he was getting bored with doing the same for decades since he was at id. Even when was only working at 3d engines before VR, that's why he started to do novel poo poo for novelty sake (megatextures) even when they had a lot of tradeoffs that didn't make it a good solution.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's important to remember that programmers are dumb loving idiots when it comes to anything besides programming

Well, given that the subject of the tweet is precisely what he is going to program, I'm not sure how that applies here!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BMan posted:

John Carmack will not, in fact, program an AGI

He can try, though!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

He waste his time and Facebook's money, though!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think Oculus is using fiber optic for other characteristics, like light weight.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, is there a way to stop VR games from limiting the framerate to 45 as soon as you go slightly under 90 fps or is that something they just have to do?

It's related to the the asynchronous spacewarp. Read here
https://uploadvr.com/reprojection-explained/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So I'm basically waiting Black Friday to get into VR (Quest, + possibly Link cable). What are the top five things to get? Beat Saber and...?
I guess I should do the same question but also for the Rift store, given that I have a good computer, which is why I'm also buying the cable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumour-valve-are-about-to-announce-a-vr-game-called-half-life-alyx/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, my plan to buy one in a pair of weeks seems to be undone.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

I really hope they add support for the 1060 because there's no way I'm going to upgrade any time soon :negative:

They did already. They updated their site.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I found this post in reddit interesting as he tried the OC6 version:

quote:

So had some personal time to try it.
As someone who tried it at OC6, it feels like they improved it a lot. I don't have the same compression issues I ran into, and latency feels *great*.

Tried audica and had no issues.

It's still lower quality visuals then the rift S, but drat it's solid.
Blacks even look good.

edit: And from another forum

quote:

Was able to steal a couple minutes away and this poo poo is legit. Only game I tested was Pinball FX2 VR on Steam. Even with the amazing advancements with VD 1.8 and having a best case local network, I still don't feel it's playable with VD. With the Link cable, it's silky freaking smooth and if there's lag, it's now low enough not to bother me.
What a fantastic achievement for these guys.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 18, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dogstile posted:

I want to bring this back

Because I agree lmao who the gently caress still reads cracked.

And why the surprise that 'even Cracked' did it, as if loving Cracked were going to have a high standard of journalism or something :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cicero posted:

Really? I haven't found one. In particular, both Half-Lifes nail the balance between action, puzzle-solving, and exploration, all while having a reasonably well-executed narrative that sets the mood and feels immersive without being so in your face and time-consuming with cutscenes that it gets annoying.

Metro series has a good mix of action, exploration, linear narrative and first person immersion. IMO it's the closest thing right now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah that's true, I'm pretty sure they were talking about vs Touch controllers as being the superior option.

VIVE controllers seem the worst, although perfectly serviceable and accurate. They're just too bulky.

I wonder how Touch + the grip with elastic bands mods that I've seen some people use so they are 'tied' to your hand compare against the Index controllers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You people can discuss the finer points of hand/finger tracking all day long, but at the end of the day, it's going to be much more important the software itself, how the games are developed. Because what's going to be key is having a game where every little object is interactive, and the physics system is good enough to be able to push, slide, take and throw everything realistically, without glitches.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Espire 1: VR Operative is finally launching today. I'm so loving excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWA59o5hLg

UploadVR's review: https://uploadvr.com/espire-1-vr-operative-review/

Looks great, but they mention it's a short campaign (and don't clarify how short it is). The review could do a better job conveying information.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

owned! thanks

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

repiv posted:

holy moley that must be a lot of $1000 headsets

Mmm it has been in the first positions for some months...
It's a list ordered by revenue, and the revenue is 18x a normal game so they have to sell 18 times less than a game to be there. That said, I'm sure they got a good sales bump with HL Alyx.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yay I'm a proud Quest owner now!

I don't see Vader Immortal in my account, should it be automatically redeemed?

I still have to learn what's the best way to put the headset in a way that is comfortable and how to adjust the headset for the sweet spot. I literally have only made the tutorials.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Yay I'm a proud Quest owner now!

I don't see Vader Immortal in my account, should it be automatically redeemed?

It appeared on my Quest like, 4 hours later.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Where is the Black Friday sales on the Oculus store? It seems there was one past year around this date.

I don't want to buy stuff if just tomorrow a sale is going to start. :/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some notes after playing some hours with the Quest:
-It’s really important how the device rest on your face and how it’s adjusted to your head, as it affects both comfort and potentially visual clarity.
-I wish the battery would be longer. Not like “I wish it would be twice as long!”, I know that cannot be done easily, but I wish it was at least 20% longer. Sometimes I think “is it already this low!?”
-The controls are a bit small for my big hands. To hold them firmly without pressing any trigger or button by mistake can be a bit complicated sometimes.
-Related to that, sometimes I press the Oculus button by mistake. I know there is an option to having to hold it to activate the Oculus menu, but in that case you lose the functionality of ‘holding to reset view’ which is very useful.
-Speaking of the Touch controls, it was weird at first that the primary interaction mechanism, grabbing/holding something is done with middle finger, not with what I would say is the ‘main’ interaction finger IRL life, the index.
-The guardian system works without problems… except once yesterday night, it didn’t want to recognize my space despite being the same as always and it had enough light, I had to restart the Quest.
-I don’t know how the hell there is no button to activate the pass-through cameras!

Apps:
-The first thing I noticed it’s the clusterfuck there is between Oculus Video, Oculus tv, Oculus Venue, Facebook Live, and more video apps. I wish there was more consolidation, they all do the same at the end of the day. I wish there was a least categories to order/filter the apps, and put video apps in one part, docs/‘experiences’ in another, etc
-Beat saber is very cool, of course.
-Moss is also cool, in a very different way. Looking a very nicely animated mouse in front of you is surreal.
-I tried a bit of ‘normal’ locomotion for a few minutes of Rec Room paintball and in the Journey of the Gods demo, and while it felt somewhat weird and disorienting, I wasn’t puking immediately my intestines, so I think with a period of acclimation it should be fine for me.
-Pistol Whip made me remember in how out of shape I am. I’m not fat (technically overweight by 3kg per BMI), but yeah, totally out of shape… in a way I convinced myself to buy the Quest to improve that.
-edit: Oh poo poo I forgot about Vader Immortal. I'm not that much of a SW nerd to cream my pants for holding a lightsaber, but seeing storm troopers or Darth Vader up close in VR, at the correct scale and intimidating as hell, was my first "oh poo poo VR is real" moment.
-Finally, with Ultrawings I really felt uncomfortable the moment I did a not-that-smooth stick movement without the ‘blinders’ option. It left me conflicted, I love flying in game and in VR is obviously even more cool, but it seems for this I’m going to have to ‘train’ more.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 25, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

The way to think about touch controller's hand interactions is that the middle finger is used to signify gripping an object while the trigger is used to interact with the gripped object. Some games for the Vive wands do everything using the trigger (because the grip buttons are poo poo) and it's far more awkward.

Yes, I totally get it, like holding a gun and then 'use' it or not with the free index in the trigger. But one thing is to know something and another to really assimilate it. These are 'first impressions of first VR timer', in any case.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You might want to look at some of the third-party grip accessories that let you hold them hands-free like Index controllers.

I have that on the back of my mind (in fact I asked about it a few days ago here), for now I want to try Quest 'as is', and let the modding/accessories for later.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

You might want to consider picking up one of those portable battery packs/chargers. Its a pretty common thing people have done, you take one of those, strap it to the rear of the headset with some velcro or something and plug it in, greatly increasing the battery life. It also has the bonus of distributing the weight of the headset more evenly.

Hellsau posted:

I agree, the Quest only lasts like 2-3 hours which is kind of a bummer. Though I got a power brick and a cell phone holder to clip on the back, and now it's more comfortable and also has an 8+ hour battery life which is awesome.

I investigated a bit and decided to do this setup, as it seems easy to do and clean (there are some monstrosities out there):

(taken from Reddit)

I ordered the velcro and a 10k battery from Amazon a minute ago. I chose a battery which was small and particularly narrow (only 50mm width) and with well rounded edges, because I feel that way I will barely notice on the back of my head

Only 170g won't be a 1:1 counterweight to the Quest, but it should help on moving the balance to the back a bit, right? Quest is 570g, so if it at least serves to reduce the 'effective weight' to 400g, maybe that's enough to make it more comfortable.

I doubt I'm going to make Quest sessions of 2.5 hours in one sitting, but some days I may use it once by morning and once by evening, or maybe afternoon and by the night, and two sessions is a bit much with a single charge (I don't like to drain batteries beyond 10-13%!).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's really a pity there is no custom level support for Superhot. Levels are fairly simple and without textures, so the barrier of entry for creators would be low, and most people love the game so it would attract a decent number of modders. And obviously, it would help in giving more content to a short game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Impressions on Synth Riders? I noticed it's 1. cross-buy 2. cheap-ish (17€, cheaper than Pistol Whip or Beat Saber), 3. official custom song support (I saw today there is even a button in Sidequest). So it's seems a potentially very good buy.

I'm wondering if perhaps it covers too much the same ground as Beat Saber/Pistol Whip. Not sure I need a third game of the same type.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From what we know, Beat Saber was a 'lightning in a bottle' situation, and their next game won't be as successful. Now there are other decent rythmn games there are other like Audica or Synth Riders, in any case. So I can't blame the devs for 'selling out'.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

About BS and modding and possible legalities, I think it should be easy to retool how the custom songs work right and divide them in two parts, data and songs. If players provide the mp3 files, then no one should have an issue, the 'Beat Saber supporting piracy' argument would be invalid. Obviously it would be more inconvenient that way, but better than losing access to mod, imo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone actually complain about pentile/screen door effect on the Quest? I use mine pretty regularly and I've never thought, "wow they really need to fix the screen door effect on this thing". The last two models to have that problem were there Vive and CV1, I think?

The only complaints I have about the Quest is that it can only do one or two high resolution objects at a time, which is limited by the GPU, not the screen

Uhh yes? The screen door is super obvious.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After using the Quest all week, I have a thought about it. Unoriginal thought, because I know other people have mentioned:
The best virtue of the Quest is the low friction using it. You put it on your head, it wakes up automatically and you are playing. When you get tired, you put it out and that's it, no need to close apps, turn it off, etc. Apart from the no-fuss guardian system and the lack of cables and external sensors. Ideal for people who don't want to mess up with stuff, it should really connect with the mainstream.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

The current version only uses 150 Mbps, USB 3.1 can do 5 Gbps, so assuming Carmack's hopes are successful, there should be a pretty big improvement coming.

That doesn't mean it will reach anywhere close to 5gbps, the limit is in both the hardware encoding rate (in the gpu) and the hardware decoding rate (in the mobile chip).

In other news, Oculus just gifted me 4€. I suppose that's $5 for Americans.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I returned to the Dojo in Vader Immortal EpI. I find it a bit ridiculous, in how mostly it doesn’t test your skill with the saber, but how accurately you listen the sound cues and turn quickly to face the enemies in 360º. Maybe I should try the 180º mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have my Quest with the velcro+battery on the back mod, and it helps in leaving the headset on its place, without moving down after a few minutes. Although in the end I still have to put the straps fairly tight for games with decent amounts of movement or it will move a bit and I will lose clarity, so I still have the red marks on my face after a session.