Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I dunno, even in VR the people don't look real enough to make me uncomfortable. Sure, they're all 3D and standing right there but they just look like video game characters to me

I do feel really awful when I set an enemy plane on fire in IL-2, tho. Especially the WWI planes where the other guy doesn't have a parachute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zaphod42 posted:

My issue is why can't you select categories with that dropdown? The GAMES dropdown right there would be perfect for filtering on categories, but nope, can't do that. Just games or software.

Meanwhile categories have to be displayed as a list alphabetically. Why? Reasons!

It takes literally 10 years for Steam to iterate on features and they're still half-assed. All while making absurd bucketloads of cash. I don't understand how a store UI can be so difficult.

That Games / Tools / Software dropdown is basically never used. Put the categories in the dropdown valve you morons!

I love that you have a "cars" category

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
So you'll just need a Facebook account to do the Oculus social stuff, right? If you don't use any of that crap and just play games it won't affect you at all, yeah?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hadlock posted:

Right as long as you only want to play single player games, and you don't want to do stuff like Echo Arena, Occus' "quake/doom multiplayer for VR" then you can just use an email. Any "steam community" type features can be safely ignored in singleplayer mode.

Ah cool, that works for me

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Had some more time with boneworks last night. I really love the guns, especially that first AR they give you. I tend to hang back and snipe the nullbodies when I can because the ironsights are so accurate and therefore amazingly satisfying to use. Headshots all day.

Getting that hatchet really made melee combat better too

I’m to the point right now where I just got sucked up by the big trash vacuum, which scared the poo poo out of me irl because I didn’t see it coming and I’m wondering if I should have whatever type of money that you can use in those vending machines by now? I haven’t found a way to get money yet?

You use bullets in the vending machines

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Another way to get a non-VR game to display in VR is to use Reshade with the Depth3D shaders. It worked pretty well on the few games that I tried it with, which were all games that Vorpx refused to touch, so there's that. Also it's a free download, so the only thing it costs is some of your time

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Owlbear Camus posted:

I can play B&S but as much as I'm a full feminist "women can be combatants" guy in reality, I gotta skew the spawn rates like 90% male so I'm not just murdering dozens of women by sticking knives in their necks and poo poo.

I shudder to think that there are probably pent up screwfly chuds who enjoy the game most with the slider all the way to the other side.

I skew it toward female because I'm only about as tall as the female characters. A bunch of the male enemies' attacks just swoosh by over my head, I don't even have to duck

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BDSM Shopping Simulator VR, version 3.0 update: French localization, customizable shopping carts

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

Really I want to use the headset for flight sims (elite and MS flight sim).

Is MS Flight Simulator going to have VR support? I thought it wasn't

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

Last thing I read was they are working really hard to have it in at launch if not in the near future.

I was planning on playing MS Flight sim X in the meantime though.

Oh cool. I wasn't interested in it until now; once you've played sims in VR it's hard to go back

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah hopefully it does make it in at launch because the game looks gorgeous.

Only other question is how the hell do you find one of these drat things?? They are sold out everywhere.

Idk, man. I ordered my Index back in April when my OG Rift's cable crapped out, and Steam still says I have 8+ weeks to wait. At least it shows there's a demand for VR, I guess

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Inacio posted:

racing sims are actually scary at times. i never thought that that sense of speed was possible in videogames.

Lots of stuff is scary in VR, but simulations have the added feature of making you think "Holy poo poo, people have done this for real." And they didn't get to take a break when things got too intense

Leal posted:

I can't wait until The Sims comes to VR. That'll be how they announce 5, it'll be Sims V-R

I actually got the Sims 3 to run in VR, not with Vorpx but with some kind of stereoscopic shader thing that I don't remember what it was called. It was pretty neat but I couldn't read much of the UI

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mustache Ride posted:

No HOTAS with VR, just gamepad/keyboard and mouse

That doesn't necessarily mean that HOTAS isn't supported. I mean, here's what IL-2 Sturmovik's store page says, and it definitely supports HOTAS setups:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

HoboTech posted:

After playing with the Quest for a few months I finally got my Index. I won't be able to use it until tomorrow but what should I expect? Is the FOV/display really that big of a difference? Is the setup a huge pain in the rear end that will take half my day off?

Someone, anyone, please give me a reason to be excited today.

Idk what the Quest is like but I came from the OG Rift and the display is night and day. I can actually read poo poo on my monitors in VR without leaning forward like I'm Mr. Magoo. There wasn't any setup pain that I recall. I'm p sure you're okay to be excited

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nalin posted:

Ugh. For something touted as "VR Essentials", it sure does have a massive shitload of non-essential stuff in it. Hell, according to the instructions, you can't even start a new game without issues due to many of the mods.

I hate all these VR mod lists as they often are packed full of mods that can drastically change the look and feel of the game as well as how it plays. That really should be up to the player as they may not want them, nor may they have the computing power to deal with all the super high res stuff that gets added.

I've been spending time removing poo poo from the Fallout 4 VR "Essentials" modpack (eg: Here are a bunch of weapons that look like they come from a different game entirely! Thanks, that's really essential). The really fun thing is that you can't just uncheck a mod in Mod Organizer to remove it; you have to first remove every reference to that mod from any other mods. There are a bunch of mods in the pack that consolidate data from all the other mods, so if you remove one, these will refuse to load because they reference data that's no longer there, and that'll break all the mods that you didn't uninstall. So I've been spending a lot of quality time in FO4VREdit

This is not to mention the mods that I had to mod or the mods that I had to write myself. The biggest pain in the rear end was actually getting the item sorting mod to work on more than 1/4 of the items in the game. I really hoped the modpack author had done this, but nope

Anyway, it's taking a lot less effort than the first time I did all this. Then, I started from nothing and worked my way up; starting from everything and the kitchen sink and working my way down is a bit easier

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Not to derail the well deserved Facebook hate, but can you package your mod setup up somehow for the rest of us? I almost downloaded that vr essentials crap and would much rather have what you're cooking.

I might be able to, but first I'd have to figure out how, and then, a lot of what I'd be packaging up is the original modpack author's work, just hacked up a bit. Redistributing that would be kind of shady, I think. I might be able to do a thing like, "Install the VR Essentials crap, then unzip this into your MO2 directory", but I haven't looked into it at all

RFC2324 posted:

I believe that is literally what wabbajack is for. Once they get the details of the list hammered out the can specify it o. The site and let other people download it.

It's just that no one has for skyrimvr

And however I distributed it, I would not put it on wabbajack, because the instant I did I'd be on the hook to maintain it, and there is no loving way I'm doing that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Not to derail the well deserved Facebook hate, but can you package your mod setup up somehow for the rest of us? I almost downloaded that vr essentials crap and would much rather have what you're cooking.

Okay, so this should work, but if it doesn't I take no responsibility. If it blows up your computer, blame yourself or God. Also, if the modpack author updates something, it's likely to break things, so get it while it works

1) Install the Fallout 4 VR Essentials Overhaul modpack. Do all the poo poo it tells you to in the readme
2) Take this file and unzip it in the directory where Wabbajack installed the modpack. You'll know you're in the right directory if it has ModOrganizer.exe in it. Overwrite any duplicate files, should be 4 of 'em
3) Open up ModOrganizer and pick the "FO4VRE Custom" profile
4) In the mod list on the left, right click on "Fallout VR - Patched & Cleaned ESMs", choose "Information...", then "Filetree". Right click on "Fallout4_VR - Main.ba2" and choose "Hide"
5) Also in the mod list on the left, find "Better Settlers", right click and choose "Reinstall Mod". Reinstall it with all default options, except under "Modded Community Assets" you want either "Vanilla Assets Expanded" or "None", and under "Mortal Option" you want "Mortal Pack". Choose "Replace" when you get the "Mod Exists" prompt
6) Now you should be able to play the game. Choose "FOSEVR" from the drop-down on the right and click "Run"

If you want to re-enable Idle Hands, which is kind of neat except for the part where it breaks whenever you touch a workbench:
1) Unhide the file you hid in step 4 above
2) Click on the folder icon to the right of the profile selection box and choose "Open INIs Folder"
3) Edit fallout4custom.ini and uncomment all the stuff under [VRPipboy], it's labeled "*** idle hands"
4) Turn on Idle Hands in the modlist on the left. You might have to move IdleHands.esp up in the load order; check the original modpack profile to see where it goes

Note that this just represents my own preferences and isn't an "absolutely only the essentials" kind of thing. Also I'm not done with it; for example, I'm not sure if I want Sim Settlements or not because I haven't messed with it yet. Don't know if Diamond City Plus is any good 'cuz I haven't gotten that far in the game. And so on. But it's a good start. If you want to gently caress around with it yourself, the mods you have to watch out for are:
* Misc Item Sorting Patch.esp
* Fo4Merged.esp
* Bashed Patch, 0.esp
* SmashPatch.esp
* Loot Reduction Patch.esp
These are the mods that touch every other goddamn mod in the pack, so if you remove something you have to run the modpack in FO4VREdit and make sure they don't contain any references to the poo poo you removed. Also if you want to reinstall a mod and it was one of the ones I removed from these, you'll have to redo all those references. I kept the original mods so you can go from there (my versions are "<Whatever Patch> Lite")

Of all this stuff, the only mods I wrote myself are VR Weapons.esp, VIS Patch.esp, and VIS Settings Items Patch.esp (the other 2 VIS patches I hacked from other people's VIS-G patches). You can do whatever you want with 'em; they are published under the "IDGAF" license

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bad Munki posted:

Random E:D thought: I wish they'd let us play as the landing bay control tower. Make it pay something meager like 10k per hour plus 5k per handled docking request or something, who cares, I'd do it. Maybe another faction type thing you can raise your relationship with and you gotta be at a certain level to do the bigger stations. Let you turn on the computer-handled system at-will for afk needs, and you get a fairly short window to address a docking request, but the important thing is that it opens an audio channel to the requestee's ship and you can be all "COPY THAT SPACE BONER SIX NINER YOU ARE CLEARED FOR DOCKING AT BAY ZERO EIGHT PLEASE WATCH YOUR SPEED AND HAVE A NICE STAY CONTROL OUT"

In the interest of immersion, any recommended playlists for space truckin'?

e: Actually, is there a general ED thread? The game, not the dick problem, obviously.

There are people who play multiplayer MS Flight Simulator (the old one, anyway) who do air traffic control. It always seemed to me like they were taking the whole "simulation" thing a little too far. Anyway I doubt they'll put that into E:D; I'm sure it's already been promised in Star Citizen tho

e: also I found the E:D thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876835&pagenumber=1

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 25, 2020

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Luneshot posted:

Anybody have experience with VorpX? How well does it do the job of translating a flatscreen game to VR?

It's kind of neat when it works, but not $40 neat. If you want to try flatscreen games in VR, try ReShade with the Depth3D shaders. Not as good as VorpX, but it works with a lot more stuff and it's free

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

veni veni veni posted:

Is Dirt 2.0 worth 10 bux if I already have the original Dirt Rally?

I was wondering that myself, it's sitting in my cart rn. Anyway, if you do get it you should get the $15 version that includes all the DLC, because otherwise you'll have to pay full price if you want any of the DLC:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Delta-Wye posted:

I only tried it with mouse/keyboard, but do you mean like this??

Can confirm, this is a pretty good control scheme. Of course, you want the throttle axis to be non-centering, so it stays where you put it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I've still got Dirt Rally 2 in my cart, but maaaaan, it's a hundred gigabytes for a game I'm gonna play twice and go "yyyeah, I'm no Colin McRae"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

veni veni veni posted:

I’m not even a big racing guy but there is something about rally racing in VR that is very fun. It’s so much more fun going over jumps and racing up the side of a mountain vs going in circles.

Fine, gently caress it, it's only $15. Speaking of going in circles, tho, I wish someone besides iRacing would do a good oval racing sim. NR2003 was so much fun

e: oh it's actually 110 GB, great

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, it's not the same controls for both? It didn't support motion controls when I played, only gamepad.

What I didn't like about the controls was trying to catch a fish with a combination of gamepad and my face. You know, instead of just reaching out and grabbing the fish. That's not what I bounced off of, though. What I couldn't take is just being in the goddamn ocean, with all this fuckin' ocean poo poo swimming around, just right there with nothing but water between you. I noped right the gently caress out like ten hours before you actually get to anything scary

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zaphod42 posted:

If you wanted to, you could intentionally build a VR world that completely violates how everything in the real world looks and feels and create some kind of nightmare paradox escher dimension that would give people massive headaches.

I'd spend about five bux to get a headache looking at something like that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

The only mad thing, and I think this is cool, is when you are really focussed on driving sometimes your brain goes on autopilot and fills poo poo in you don't need to focus on, so you get this rare but awesome thing where your brain buys into your in game arms being your real arms.
It's a mind gently caress when it happens, but super cool as well

This never happens to me because my sim dude never goes for the gear shift at the same time that I do, and also doesn't turn the wheel quite the same way. What we need is a steering wheel setup that can tell where your hands are. Also, a robotic arm that I can set up next to my chair, so that my co-driver in Dirt Rally can make himself useful and hold my beer for me

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Leal posted:

So uh.. anyone got any feedback?

Boobs VR 4 is the best in the series, but you have to play the first three to understand the plot

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
regarding the thread title, did something happen? i thought people were more or less okay with oculus whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Erwin posted:

I usually stay quiet about not liking pixel art because it’s an unpopular opinion, but what a weird choice for VR.

it works pretty well for compound