Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That cavity is not intended for storage :stonk:.

edit: Tundra Labs are working on Kickstarting their own SteamVR tracker. Like many HTC alternatives it's smaller, cheaper, and more efficient :v:.

Hm, I need to talk to a friend of mine about a new design for her store...

I too have been assimilated by Zuckerberg received a Quest 2 as a gift this year. I'm curious if there's a way to turn on hand tracking in PCVR mode. It'd be awesome to 'type' on the VR keyboard instead of the unintuitive point and shoot or chicken-peck motions the controllers support, but so far I haven't figured out a way to enable it.

I don't have an issue using my physical keyboard. It's just a thought for if I don't want to be at my desk to chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

It's one of my favorite VR games. Real easy to drop in and play a few runs, get a little better each time, and absolutely tire yourself out. If you've ever played Infinity Blade (or Punch Out) then you should really try it.

edit: plus the soundtrack is cool as gently caress, too

I just grabbed this one on advice from the thread, plus wanting to have something Quest 2 native to take with me when I visit friends. I'm starting to think VR is going to be the hack that gets me un-gooned, since now I frankly have a way to get exercise that doesn't require me to leave the house or take up all the space in my tiny apartment.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lockback posted:

:thunk:

TotF is kind of a class of its own in terms of workout. Beat Saber can get your heartrate up on the higher levels (turn off failure and just keep burning through songs). Pistol Whip too but I used to fence and it really activated the "don't move more than you have to to avoid the shots" muscle memory so it's pretty light for me, others say it's more of a workout.

The fitness-specific apps I haven't tried but I heard generally "meh" things about them.

It's funny because Beat Saber did that to me, at least as far as avoiding walls goes. (And what muscle memory a semester of fencing in college can give a guy.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone else get extreme fogging on the lenses of their Quest 2? I was playing Until You Fall on my lunch break today and pretty much the entire top half of my lenses were fogged the entire time. I'm thinking about getting some anti-fog stuff to apply, but I'd prefer to get some recommendations from goons first on what to do/what to buy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shine posted:

My mom got a Quest 2 and now has replaced phone calls with Rec Room invites.

I unironically encouraged my mom to get one tonight, so uh... maybe I'll be dealing with this soon?

RFC2324 posted:

I am almost tempted to get a quest 2 and send my old one to my mom now, that would be kinda cool

otoh, she is 75 and not likely to pick up VR lol

This is what I'm counting on, -15 years.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Its a bit of a catch-22. You can get a more moisture resistant insert but youll be prone to more fogging...

People on the Supernatural Facebook(!!!!) group have reported good results with getting their mask warm prior to using it, and other more adventurous people have rubbed soap on the lenses which they claim works well. I dont recommend the soap but putting your mask in a warm place for a few minutes before you put it on seems like a good solution

My solution has been to put my headset on top of my computer (heat exhausts that way) for a few minutes before starting up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

What you see is being reflected on the screen in Virtual Desktop so stick to your phone. Unless there's a way that I didn't find to only stream one window.

I think the problem more likely to sink his plan is how Windows handles passing commands and the fact that a window needs to be "in focus" to take commands. Hence, when he goes to write an email, Beatsaber loses focus and at best auto-pauses or stops taking input from the controllers until focus is restored.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Is Sidequest good for much other than the fps game ports? Can you use it to play modded beat saber or anything like that?

Last I checked Sidequest was necessary for Virtual Desktop's wireless VR capability, which turns your PCVR Quest 2 into a wireless experience. That alone was worth it for me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Guh, tried Pistol Whip 2089 and ignored the 'for experienced players' warning. Did not expect it to be quite so intense out of the gate. I think I need to rethink how I draw and orient myself for play because side stepping seems more important than forward and backward space. Also, really glad I moved into a new place with a much larger living room.

Feels good to actually get more use out of my headset than just flight games though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

forest spirit posted:

I call bullshit risk of rain 2 VR is my 2021 GOTY

sidestepping is not necessary at ALL!

yeah for most of these rhythm games you can more or less keep your feet planted in a wider stance and use your upper body to dodge, and for the love of god squat and don't just bend forward when you need to go low. Keeping a steady stance prevents you from doing these tiny fitful crab walking sidesteps where you overcorrect and then try to strafe back to the centre then undercorrect and now your two feet forward from your center....

if you knew all of this then cool. but yeah when you're more comfortable playing the game, then work in extra body movements like dancing. I dance to all of the songs I'm playing because it's more fun and active but I sure as hell didn't start dancing

..i've seen a lot of people play rhythm games in VR

Oh yeah, I just have the same preference for movement because it feels more natural to me. I feel awkward standing in one place and just moving my head to dodge. What would probably help is actually pulling my chair mat out to play on as a tactile reference for 'center.'

But if I don't dance in a rhythm game everything feels wrong.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'd probably rerun the drop just to "do it right," especially if you know someone with a spool of cat5/6 and can crimp your own cables.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thoatse posted:

I have a long run of cat5 that I wanted just to split so got one of those little powered ethernet switch boxes and my speed doubled and didn't affect my ping, It fixed a problem I didn't even know I was having so this might be a good way to extend your cables

This isn't the wiring or home networking thread, but how the gently caress long was that run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thoatse posted:

Something like 150 feet. It runs from my apt to my neighbors in a different building. It's long enough to go up the outside wall, strain relieved both sides, wrapped around another wire that crosses then snakes back down and under my unit where it comes up through the floor to an rj45 jack panel on the wall.

Yeah, that'll do it.

I'm only just getting back into the swing of VR and I have to say, aside from generally being out of shape, the combination of fogging lenses and red-orange color palette makes the Fall Out Boy Beatsaber tracks way harder than they should be.