Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My wife unexpectedly told me to get us a VR headset and... should I just hold my nose over facebook shenanigans and get the Quest? The Index is probably a cost too far, and while I could get her to the Cosmos it sounds like it's awkwardly good but not good enough? My wife's mostly interested in Beat Saber in Pistol Whip, but ideally I'd like to be able to fire up Squadrons and my other sims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Turin Turambar posted:

Does you wife want to depend on the gaming computer, and being tethered to it, to play some Beat Saber or Pistol Whip?

Yeah I thought about that more after posting and that's the real selling point. So I'm convinced.

Turin Turambar posted:

Hell you still can use it as a pc headset for Squadrons.

Also that, I forgot that they added the tethered option.

Thanks all

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

KinkyJohn posted:

I installed sportscramble on my Q2, opened the tutorial for baseball, threw the ball for a strike and immediately suspected that my aim doesn't even matter. So to test I threw the ball way off by almost 90 degrees and it still went into the strike zone. So I uninstalled.

Are there any good sport games where actual hand eye coordination matters, or is it a technical limitation with controller tracking, so they all heavily assist with aiming?

I've been enjoying Echo VR

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Erev posted:

Purchasing my Quest 2 today. Looks like half the accessories are out of stock. Which are essential? The better headstrap, I've heard, is a must.

Edit: Spelling. Also to expand upon the question - any particular cables or other bullshit required? I'll probably want to be hooked into my PC half the time.

Check out your local Targets, though it might be too late by now. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that and I found one locally right before thanksgiving

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Lockback posted:

Because you'll need to prove damages to make a monopoly case stick. Having a monopoly is not illegal, neither is ruthless business tactics. To justify breaking them up you need to prove it damages consumers in a quantifiable way. Facebook doesn't charge so you can use prove fixing (most common route), so they'll need to make some argument about privacy violation, but no one is willing to codify privacy in US law in a meaningful way.

The US is going after facebook for anti-competitive violations, not monopolistic anti-consumer violations

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Lockback posted:

I don't know what you mean by this, but the anti-trust suit explicitly calls out harm to consumers via weakening privacy. They are using Section II of Sherman which is literally the "Anti-Monopoly" law, along with Clayton which is also mostly anti-monopoly. Having consumer harm is a really important part of that, and the states are using privacy as that harm.

Section II and Clayton are about anti-competitive practices (acts against your competitors, not against consumers) to maintain or acquire your market dominance.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/12/ftc-48-states-file-suits-to-break-up-instagram-and-whatsapp-from-facebook/

quote:

The Federal Trade Commission and a coalition of 47 states attorneys general today filed a pair of long-awaited antitrust suits against Facebook, alleging that the company abused its power in the marketplace to neutralize competitors through acquisitions and prevent anyone else from presenting a more privacy-friendly alternative to consumers.

The lawsuit brought by the states asks the court to prohibit Facebook from engaging in "any anticompetitive conduct" or practice going forward. That includes a request for Facebook to be blocked from any acquisitions valued at greater than $10 million without first getting permission from the states.

They allege consumer harm over privacy, but the actual charge they're using is Facebook illegally using their power to stop competitors that could offer more privacy-oriented products.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

right arm posted:

thanks. figuring out VR has thankfully been easier than figuring out ED lol

Should see your doctor about that

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

explosivo posted:

Ragnarock is a whole lotta fun for an air drumming guitar hero type rhythm game. I wish there was a way to change the angle of the hammers but I've been enjoying this immensely.

Edit: For those who have been using the Virtual Desktop wireless Steam VR stuff, is there a way to play games from other platforms this way? I have Squadrons on Origin and Tetris Effect on the Xbox gamepass thing but wasn't sure if I needed a USB cable to play elsewhere or if I could start SteamVR and open another game to get it to work or something like that.

I haven’t tried it with virtual desktop but squadrons at least has an in-game toggle to enable VR outside of SteamVR

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Quest 2-Havers, do you power it down or just let it go to sleep on the charger?

If i let it go to sleep, will it install things I get from the oculus store while it’s sleeping? I know a normal android phone would but I’m not sure how far this strays from “normal android”

If you put it to sleep just don’t put it in a case or anything like that, it might trigger the “hey it’s a face wake up” sensor

explosivo posted:

Any alternatives to VR Cover out there when it comes to replacement face parts? They're totally sold out of the leather and standard Quest 2 VR Covers, I knew I should have bought the cloth one when I checked the other day :smith:

I got a no-name silicone cover for the standard interface off Amazon and it’s been great

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Rolo posted:

What bites is that I saw the OQ2 in stock at target yesterday, decided to go ahead and get one after some research and now they’re out again.

Are these super rare to find in brick and mortar stores? Would calling every GameStop be a waste?

Some targets carry them, but at least around me they're all out of stock

nvm, reading comprehension fail

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Rolo posted:

Can anyone tell me if the elite strap is worth it?

It's required

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to keep things pretty 1:1 but that may be the wrong approach entirely. I'm also going for a more goofy arcadey experience, and light guns tend to be very laser pointery and much lighter than a real gun because you're shooting way more than you would a real gun, but I'll play around with adding even more inertia to the guns.

Obviously I don't know how you're implementing, but you might want to investigate filtering and signal processing rather than smoothing. I'm not sure what the magic words you want to search for to find an algorithm, but generally it's about making sense of stuff like jittery input sources. A very simple and naive version would be to do something like have a max delta threshold, and you just ignore any input delta that goes beyond that.

(Edit I'm looking at you Shooty Fruity. They're treating the gun as a laser pointer, the reticle is a jittery mess and accuracy is terrible)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have recommendations for chill games to play on drugs? My usual roster of Pistol Whip et al are a bit too intense for a nice relaxing time. Cool visuals and fun interactions with not a lot of pressure, that sort of thing, but maybe a bit more advanced than those early slew of 2016 era things that feel like tech demos.

Ultrawings

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I know that Beat Saber isn’t cross-play on Oculus, but does anyone know if the DLC are?

explosivo posted:

God drat Ragnarock is so good.

Seconded

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

BLASTON - CHIVALROUS DUELING PISTOLS IN VIRTUAL REALITY

What a freaking workout. Ostensibly all you're doing is standing on a podium dueling another player using futuristic guns and weapons. You've got pistols and shields and grenades it's pretty epic.

But everything happens in Matrix Bullet Time so you can dodge and avoid the bullets and etc. You need to react to the bullets so they don't hit you while also carefully aiming to hit your opponent, or just spray and pray.

In reality what you do is squat, lunge, and turn sideways over and over so you don't get hit by the bullets.

This is all online multiplayer so you're going to be playing against real people and I have never waited longer than 15 seconds for a match up.

Love this game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QK19SJPqHc&t=20s

:emptyquote:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Lister posted:

HTC was saying at CES this year that they see "all-in-two" being the next step. Basically it means VR tethered to your phone rather than a PC. Maybe they'll invent something that has hardware in the headset that can work in tandem with a phone. Maybe the high end iphone by 2022 will be able to run high res screens no problem.

I think more than maybe. The current top-end iPhone is already pumping out as many pixels as the Quest 2, and 3/4s of the Index.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Warbird posted:

For anyone doing Unity quest dev is there a way to just run your build in the headset via play like you would working with a Vibe or am I going to have to compile and export each drat time?

not that I've discovered, but I haven't looked very hard

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Is the boxing in FitXR essentially BoxVR with a different skin?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I've been mainlining a bunch of Supernatural lately since the weather's been too poo poo to do anything outside. Fired up Beat Saber for the first time since, and oh my god it moves so slow. It's still hard since visibility of what's coming up is a lot worse, but on the song I'm most familiar with I ran a string of high scores right out of the gate.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Wait a minute are you telling me that a guy with the handle "vapelifeyo", who holds in his hand a vape as well as a controller, and who has a wall cases of cheap beer behind him... is toxic?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Rolo posted:

What’s that?

The engine behind the Apple web browser now has VR support

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

What's the name of the tool for getting custom beat saber stuff onto a quest?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Dirt 2 is 75% off steam right now if you want to test your stomach fortitude

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mang Tomas posted:

Is the elite strap worth buying now? Or is there a better (non 3D printing) option?

I really liked the elite strap, then it cracked, and I replaced it with the iovroigo halo strap, which is waaaay more comfortable and cheaper.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I must not be the only one whose cats like to sit at the feet of the VRer

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

If you love beat saber and $15 per mo it fits in your budget, you owe it to yourself to give Supernatural a try. Got a lot of short shrift for "ripping off" beat saber, but there is a lot they do that is way better. It's kinda nice having a coach telling you that you're an absolute beast while you play videogames inside by yourself. The "blocks" move way faster, the environments are beautiful and the music is very eclectic.

And even better, when you fire Beat Saber up after a session of Supernatural it feels soooooo slow and you feel like a Beat Saber god

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

anothergod posted:

Hey I just got an Oculus 2 and I'm looking for VR fitness and golf games. It's hard parsing reviews, so I thought I'd ask here.

Supernatural and FitXR are good if you can handle a subscription

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Warbird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W90MkmM_o78

The VTOL VR guy has a new gaming coming that is just Ace Combat Mario Cart. Looks like it could be fun.

That is so close to the Slipstream 5000 remake I desperately need

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Didn't that concept get utterly thrashed by the public when it was Google Glass? I suppose Apple fans are cultish enough that it would be considered awesome and stylish if Apple did it though.

Like it's been said, it's all rumor at this point... but also it's kinda Apple's MO to let other people make not great early versions then swoop in and make a "just enough better" device and make it famous

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

sarcastx posted:

I'm feeling like trying a few new rhythm games; I've gotten pretty much everything out of Beat Saber that I think I'm going to gently caress burning sands. I also got Ragnaröck and have enjoyed it a fair bit but if anyone's got any other rhythm recommendations I'm all ears.

Synth Riders is a good change of pace, though it's not quite as satisfying as smacking something on a beat

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

explosivo posted:

Yeah I sing the praises of Ragnarock so much specifically because it's not trying to be a real drum experience like what this game seems to be going for.

Same but also there are times the lack of feedback makes it rough

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am not a super big fan of halo straps, due to having a big dumb head, is there one that’s basically a direct replacement for the elite strap but also not going to break?

I have a last-tick-on-a-baseball-hat big head and that halo strap is pretty good

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If you don’t do the macarena while waiting for your opponent to serve in Eleven, can you even call yourself a VR gamer???

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Argue posted:

Yeah, sorry, let me rephrase--is there actually some kind of perk to doing things within Virtual Desktop outside of playing games/streaming movies? Or is it just like... something to let me experience owning a different brand of monitor than the one in front of me?

I tend to switch between them depending on where I am in the house (VD's usually better close to my router, AL better farther away), but that's a very situational use case

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Anyone else tried Supernatural on the Quest 2? I've heard so much praise for it in other places but I got around to using the trial today and it just feels like Beat Saber but with really bad maps and a bit of Synth Riders tossed in and cutscenes with a "trainer" guy screaming about how hyped he is in between songs. Am I alone on this one? I like the games this is trying to ape, but I don't think I like this one at all, certainly not enough for a $15/mo subscription.

It's a better workout than Beat Saber, if that's what you're looking for. Especially at the harder levels it's making your whole body move whereas Beat Saber is mostly how fast you can flick your wrists. Pretty sure you can shut the trainers up. I've mostly replaced it with the FitXR HIIT stuff, but that's not really a Supernatural's fault

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The gyro's also pretty good for flight simming if you don't want to splurge on a stick or yoke

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I have never felt like my face specifically was getting too hot while playing.

I've never felt too hot but I've definitely had fogging up from being sweaty

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

pantsfree posted:

Also, to my horror I think rhythm games might be making me actually like and enjoy electroswing. Had fun with these: https://bsaber.com/electro-swing-pack/

Synth Riders has a good batch of official electro-swing maps and, yeah, they converted me

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Speaking of Elite Dangerous, is it still more or less the best go-to for a chill VR space game? I played a good amount of Star Wars Squadrons and enjoyed it, but want something a bit more low key where I can explore space in my spaceship, and ED seems to fit the bill. Never played it, hopefully it's easy enough to learn while in vr.

Modern No Man's Sky is pretty good, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

explosivo posted:

I'd say if you own VD just use that, I find the UI much more usable and I also paid for it so I might as well keep using it.. I've heard VD works better on stable networks and AirLink better on slower/less stable networks but I have no idea if that's true or not.

That’s roughly been my experience. Right next to my main router it’s pretty even, but farther away or next to the repeater AirLink is usually the safer choice