Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all,

Sorry for the hella basic question but I've scoured the internet and come up blank -

I'm gonna take the plunge and get a Quest 2! I have a beefy PC that I plan to use with it, but I'm also going to be visiting my parents for at least a full month this December.

If I buy a game on steam is there any way to transfer it so I can play it without the PC set up?

Similarly, if I buy from the oculus store can I switch between playing on the headset itself and the PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks guys! So just to be clear, if I get a Quest 2 I'd actually be looking at having three separate stores I can buy things off of - Oculus Quest, Oculus PC, and SteamVR? And various titles are crossbuy but I need to do my research

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Amazing! Thanks man, appreciate the help.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Heading out tonight to grab a link cable and Quest 2! Sorry for the basic questions, but I've got one more - should I be grabbing more graphically intensive games on the Oculus PC store or SteamVR? i've got a fairly beefy PC, for what its worth.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm very late to this party but HOLY poo poo is beatsaber incredible.

Still futzing around with the best exact position for the headset, but this is a blast.

My only issue is that I do have one dead white pixel wayyyyy off in the left hand corner. How common are these? I could likely go and exchange this for another headset but I'd hate to trade in one dead pixel for.... another one or two.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I missed it by a day :( But i also don't really care about RPGs so I'm not too sad.

I'm having a blast with The Climb/Beatsaber/Superhot and already eyeing another set of titles after.

I kinda want to get my bearings with VR before hopping into Half life

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Need recommendations for two things...

1) going to show my parents the Quest and unsure what experience would be best - even something like Beatsaber is probably too much motion (constant ducking etc). Maybe epic rollercoasters would be fun? Really just looking for them to check it out without anything too intense or game button heavy.

2) I've been jamming out with Superhot and Beatsaber and having a blast, but I want to start working my way towards being able to move in VR (for playing Alyx). What titles allow me to take that baby step? Like a whole "press the button" and teleport mechanic? Or eventually full movement?

I'm still waiting for my link cable to be shipped so I'm limited to the Quest library for now

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Any word on when elite straps for the quest 2 might be back in? The basic one blows and really not doing me much favors

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks! I'll check them out. However I've ran into a fairly big issue - the link cable (official brand) lags like hell both in the rift interface and in SteamVR. I'm using a usb-c adapter since my computer itself doesn't have the right type of usb outlet.

Could that be causing the heinous amount of choppiness and lag I'm seeing?

I've got a fairly decent PC (2 GTX980s, intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram) but are my specs way below what i should have?

If it is the cable, would the virtual desktop be a workaround?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks everyone for your blunt honesty about SLI (two GTX 980s) essentially being outdated technology. With my other specs, is it worth throwing in a midline graphics card or am I looking at a total rebuild (in general, not just for VR)?

To be fair, I literally bought this off a friend for $200 a year ago, so I'm not exactly bitching much.

Other specs: Intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram

On a different note, I expect you to die is entirely too fun of a time. Really really digging its vibe.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Throw a 1660ti or even a 2070 in that and you're golden.
Waaaayyyy back in the day there was serious talk about VR specific usage of two graphics cards, where one car would do the left eye and the other the right eye.
People were excited for a while about it but it never went anywhere

Rad! I'll keep an eye out for any sales over the holiday.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

People who know things - I posted earlier about my specs and needing to beef up my PC Graphics card for VR, but I've heard fifty different opinions from fifty different sources. My specs are (2 GTX980s, intel 5930K i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram) and I'm only looking to replace the graphics card and have ~$300 or so to spend. Folks here had a few suggestions, but then I asked Reddit and they basically said I'm SOL unless I want to shell out more money.

$300 is going to be a bit hard, sort of 'will run' VR but your looking at minimum VR FPS. Short list with your budget in mind, 1660S (absolute minimum, may not even run some headsets), 2060S might be a touch over budget. I have had a bit of luck with 2070 (the non S) being able to fit in budget, its a solid choice for VR and most people overlook them so you may be able to snag one on discount. Not sure on the pricing (also its not quite out yet) but the 3060 may be close to budget.

You looking for something with at least 6GB, preferably 8GB of VRAM and no older than the 20 cards (so the 580 is right out). AMD may have something but the 5000 cards had issues (that seem mostly resolved at this point) but also AMD is aiming for the more low to mid level GPUs. Not sure if that sill holds for the new ones, but your going to be budget limited for choices.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Sell the 980s and buy... whatever you can actually get. Maybe the 3070? The new cards are almost impossible to get but if you really want you'll snipe one eventually.

I'm using a 1070 which is roughly like the 980Ti? So not that much better, and it runs everything. At most I need to drop the settings a bit in like Alyx or Stormlands but it's all playable. Well except Stormland but it just sucks for other reasons.

Y'all are amazing, thanks for the great advice! Will keep an eye out and snag a good price on the one's you and other posters noted.

One more question before I take the plunge; what's the easiest way to sell off the old 980s? Is NewEgg going to be the best option here?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

KTS posted:

Scored my RTX 3060Ti today, I think tonight I'll finally play Alyx, bought it a while ago and just never got around to playing it. The old 1660Ti is going into a dedicated VR pinball PC to run the pinsim controller I'm building currently, still need to grab a few more parts for the controller then start my woodworking.

Whoa! I'm keeping my eyes out for the 3060ti (as the thread recommended). How'd you score one? Did you set up alerts or something?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The default headstrap is awful; if you've ever used any headset before its a serious drawback. I'm actually gonna grab a Quest 2 once the elite straps are back in strap (well, and when I can upgrade graphics card).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Still waiting for a new graphics card to shove into my PC, but Lone Echo is at least 60% of the reason for the upgrade

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Shame that Medal of honor game sucked. womp womp

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 27, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best part of beatsaber is that it wouldn't lose much if it was just on, say, the Wii, without any other updates. Its very fun but doesn't really add much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I picked up a PSVR on sale the other day and I find it to be a much better fit for me and my eyes than the Quest 2.

But lordy, the tracking on the move controllers very much feels like ancient technology. Reminds me of fiddling around with the Wii motion controls back in the day, where things work.... most of the time.