Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

SCheeseman posted:

I'm still using Vive wands. Boneworks reaaaalllly makes me want to get my hands on (in?) some index controllers.

Agreed, Boneworks is frustrating as hell with the wands but I'm looking forward to trying it again with some other controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

HolyKrap posted:

Better wait for some stability patches then cause this game has the brilliant feature of not letting you save

Do they expect you to finish the 6 hour campaign all in one go?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Picked up Tetris Effect, I was a little skeptical as to how VR Tetris would be any better but wow, this game is incredibly cool.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The Wonderswan was 40 dollars at launch, not 900. Terrible comparison

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Gameboy was $99 at launch :iiam:

So the Cosmos being 10 percent less than the Index compares how? The Wonderswan was 60 percent less than the Gameboy Color at the time. I have an OG Vive and I enjoy it but unfortunately it seems like HTC has been completely outclassed in this market by Facebook and Valve. I don't see the Cosmos selling well at all.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's weird cuz I've seen a lot of "Boneworks made me nauseous and Alyx didn't" but it's completely the opposite for me. I think it's because alyx is sorta realistic and outside and boneworks is, at least where I'm at, just like simple geometry inside a bunch of labs and stuff like portal.

I didn't get nauseous playing either but I didn't really like Boneworks because climbing ledges is impossible and I got stuck on a part that required it.
Wish there was a way to unlock everything without playing through the story.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats beat saber for you.

The engine definitely isn't a fan of some of the things mods do it thats for sure.

Booted it up for the first time in years, that FB money sure changed it dramatically, looked like a completely different game but most importantly I lost all my custom songs.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

sea of losers posted:

oh man i hope that vive air actually comes to existence. frick the monopoly on standalone sets

Me too, a good competitor might force Oculus to drop the FB thing too.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Ah, I guess I'll never consider an Oculus product then

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Isn't Valve working on an inside out wireless Index? Thought i read somewhere that they filed a patent for one recently.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

I don’t think Valve is doing anything with their own hardware now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-index-wireless-eye-tracking-patent/

Not much but it does look like they're still playing around with ideas.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Is HTC still pushing their awful controllers? I hate these wands and can't wait to upgrade to the index.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hello VR friends! I just jumped on the VR train and man it's cool. I also got to see my Facebook account for the first time in 5 years. Man, that poo poo is foul as gently caress and I haven't missed it a bit! Now to ignore it again for (hopefully) the rest of my life.

I got this thing called "Ecosphere" and watched a VR movie about elephants and you start off like 150 feet up off the plains floating and I realized instantly what I need out of virtual reality.

Is there a game out there that's anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Ib9SwC7EI

Because frankly all I need for the rest of my life is a Superman simulator and an Aquaman simulator and I'm pretty much finished with collecting entertainment products. I see this poo poo in my dreams. Someone get on making this and quit making even loving more shoot-em-ups.

Also if you are like me and just got on VR, just go immediately buy the elite strap and the silicon facial interface, they make the Quest 2 much nicer and are especially excellent when putting it on a new person for the first time. Also that Ecosphere elephant vid is a great way to introduce non-gaming people to VR IMO.

>mid-40s friend who's never played games puts it on, immediately looks astounded and takes step back<
>whispering< "Rob... Rob, there's an elephant right here."

Someone already said EchoVR but also check out Jet Island, it's an awesome platformer with a hoverboard and Iron Man thrusters and Spider-Man like grappling hooks. It's also got giant bosses you climb and fight Shadow of the Colossus style. https://youtu.be/uztlUt2MVoQ

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

MikusR posted:

Facebook only shows what you and your friends like and share.

Facebook is 90 percent ads now

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Goodguy3 posted:

The best way to climb stuff in Boneworks, if I remember right, is to push down so you pull yourself up, then tilt the stick down so you "crouch", then physically lean forward a little so your guy's legs end up on top of what you're trying to climb. This works on ladders, too.

Just...try not to fall over. Hasn't happened to me yet, though.

Impossible to perform that with vive wands. I'll try to play through it again after I buy an index probably next year.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Within days, probably

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Finally getting an Index after a year of saving up, excited to try Boneworks on an actual controller and not a Vive wand.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Oculus products not worth buying simply because they make you get a FB account.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I'm more concerned about someone posting something against community standards(that change frequently and without warning) and bricking their headset. Don't let Zuckerberg have control over any aspect of your life.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

This is the most whack poo poo, "hmm yes anyone worried about getting banned by the Zuck must be some kind of chud!"

Someone got locked out of their Quest 2 for a weekend because they posted a picture of the Touch controllers, and Facebook algorithms thought they were posting pictures of guns, and assumed they were about to go on a shooting spree. They got it resolved, but it must be fun to not use your purchased item because you're so amped for it that you're telling on Facebook about it.

I got a 30 day probe for sharing an Onion article and I deleted my account after. gently caress Facebook, never using it again.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

What other people buy doesn't concern me, I'm just never buying oculus products and won't recommend them to anyone. Unless they ditch the FB requirement of course.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 26, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Daydream was my first VR headset and it was godawful. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to compete in the portable VR market, unfortunately.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah the people to compete with Facebook would've been Google and they gave up incredibly quickly. Although I'm pretty sure Valve has enough money to do whatever they want.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Still getting use to the knuckles controllers, holding a shield in the left hand while moving in Blade And Sorcery is a little awkward right now. The clarity of the picture is leaps and bounds an improvement over the Vive and it's so much more comfortable.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I got so used to the vive grip button being toggle that I'm constantly dropping my weapons when using the sticks

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Are any of those frunk fans worth getting?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Nocheez posted:

Holding your hand over your mouth to keep yourself from coughing would be silly if you had to push a button to do it, but when you have to do it in VR to survive it's incredibly effective.

Bullshit! Deadly Premonition rules

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Nalin posted:

I can't believe that you all didn't immediately say to send a ticket to Oculus support. They've been able to fix Facebook account issues for some time now. Going directly through Facebook isn't going to get you poo poo.

It's a far better idea to just not buy Oculus products

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sometimes when I'm playing my Index it'll get like twice as dark and there's a rainbow effect on the bottom half of the image, it goes away if I restart Steam VR. Running it on a 1080ti, is this a GPU issue or do I need to replace my HMD or cable? I've only had it for two weeks.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

sarcastx posted:

Just got myself an Index, gonna flip my Cosmos Elite (assuming my brother doesn't want it).
I've uninstalled all the HTC software - there doesn't seem to be anything to install from Valve - do I literally just plug it in and then start SteamVR?
Yep!

Thanks to the other two people responding to me, guess I better call Valve cause the cable looks fine

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Leathal posted:

Trip report: “the game…is good!” - Reggie

Maybe not the best idea for people who get motion sickness in VR though. Constant double jumping, dashing, and knockbacks but good lord this game just CLICKED by run 3 or so.

Sairento is probably still the worst for motion sickness

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I'm just more surprised it's a full $60 for it, dang.

Does it finally make combat fun though?

If you use magic or a bow yes it's slightly more fun. Melee is probably even more boring than non VR Skyrim

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the public reaction will be potentially very negative, if the ads are overt/intrusive. VR games aren't like mobile games that are played casually almost like time wasters, VR games instead are things that people go and isolate themselves from their surroundings to play them, and their key factors is the immersion. So ads floating in front of your face or being in places where they don't make sense, breaking immersion, will be super unpopular.

They are going to constantly flash ads at people and they won't care about the pushback

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah the Quest 2 isnt the issue for me it's the fact that FB is buying up any and every competent VR dev, it's the complete social media takeover with Instagram all over again

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Google VR would most definitely flash ads at people, too. Doesn't Valve still have 2 more big VR games in production? All they need to do is add inside out capability to SteamVR, expand Big Picture mode to be standalone and other partners could make the hardware. They are more than halfway to what the quest is already.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Bummer, a potential VR Portal is probably the thing I was most excited about when HMDs first started coming out.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Demeo looks like a ton of fun, going to the top of my list

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Pistol Whip is really fun but are they ever gonna add music that doesn't suck to it?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

My guess is either a 1070 or 2070 will be the minimum specs for newer headsets so yeah get the best gpu you can afford. 3090s are terrible value though, a 2080 or 3080 will probably be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Grashnak posted:

I know that Dirt Rally 2 at least doesn't use VR controllers are all. A lot of driving/flying sim games (stuff like dirt rally, elite dangerous, star wars squadrons etc.) have VR support but it's basically just a different way of viewing the game, the controls and controllers that you can use are identical to the flatscreen version of the game. This is generally because those games are expecting you to be using a steering wheel or joystick type controller and doing all the inputs on them, the implementation of using a VR controller as a virtual joystick usually tends to be pretty bad imo (looking at you NMS).

Yeah i dunno what they were thinking with NMS, feels very weird to stand in place and jiggle around an imaginary joystick. On foot planet exploration with vr controllers is a blast though.