Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rift S is still better for flight sims, right now. It's also affordable and capable of roomscale dedicated PCVR, right now. Let's recommend Quest for those use cases when Quest Link is out, and when we're certain of its quality. Or recommend waiting.

And even with Link, S isn't outright bad. It's just worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

It's already not clear cut that you should get an S over a Quest even if you have a good gaming computer without the link, considering the various upsides of the Quest. With the value of the link on top it makes it the clear answer for the vast majority of people. Like for anyone buying into VR right now I think the most reasonable choices are Quest or Index if money is no object.

Like all the extra information is there, Quest is just the short answer to the question of "what should I get"

I don't believe the Quest to have too many upsides other than being wireless and standalone, neither of which apply to flight sims. I'd say it's clear cut for that particular scenario. And if for whatever reason, you don't get any benefit from the former two, S is still better.

Majority of cases will definitely be in Quest's favour when the Link releases, if it's good. But, can't play Onward or Pavlov (though I think this is coming, just without cross-play with the existing audience) and it's awkward as sin from what I gather to mod Beat Saber.

And god. I wouldn't trust myself with Gorn and Quest.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hadlock posted:

What is better about the S for fight sims?

There's also the extra frames, which is extremely minor. More important is that it actually is able to run flight sims.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that is easy except in the history of all games on any system no one has done it yet.

Paradox games do it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Teleportation doesn't mean no chase scenes, it just means something like there are doors in the way, or there's more stuff you have to interact with to buy time like pulling down shelves and whatnot. Everything can be designed around!

Big jumps to get away from enemies are weaker in VR, due to the fact that you uh, can't actually jump that high nor far. Wall climbing, however, is waaaaay better. Lone Echo still has everyone beat for making great use of zero g, which is the one environment that really allows for all of that and making it feel right.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tip posted:

Maybe you weren't around in 2016? There were games with smooth locomotion and free movement including Arizona Sunshine and The Climb.

Didn't Arizona Sunshine release with teleport only at first, and it took them until 2017 to add smooth?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, there's a VR mod for X-Wing Alliance.

Hell yes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SixPabst posted:

Is there a way to get that default avatar / tron dude in Beat Saber using CameraPlus back? Looking for something just normal and all of the avatar sites are full of creepy anime poo poo :whitewater:

If you look hard enough, you can get a Solid Snake avatar. That's the best I can offer.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's the MGS2 or the Brawl model I think, therefore, it's from the Good rear end Era.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

njsykora posted:

Frankly it's money left on the table that they haven't paid Square money to make Oculus Dragon Quest.

I don't get it. Why would they pay for a game called Dragon Warrior? Doesn't tie in to the Quest at all.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's pretty much an experience like Journey or Abzu or any of those artsy games, but in Tetris. If you liked Rez, you'll like Tetris Effect.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Saints and Sinners is amazing, but what part of the watch actually... tells the time? I was exploring for the first time and thought I had plenty of time, then got absolutely overwhelmed. It was obvious by the point the music started up, but I thought the beeps beforehand were from those little motion detecting robot toys.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Not having a wheel, mind you. Thought I’d seen this one as a fav for controller based driving or something. Hmm, maybe I’m misremembering.

It's a fav because rally is more interesting than tarmac racing, though that's very much a matter of taste. You missed a humble monthly a few months ago with it in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Sweet Jesus, looking around I can't find an Index for less that 1700 or rift or Quest for less than 600. Guess I have plenty of time to think about which one I want lol. I'll wait until pandemic gouging ends I guess. Was so close to pulling the trigger.

Just get on the wait list for an Index via Steam, use that time to build/buy a PC. Don't go second hand.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

What cool stuff is there to actually do in VR Chat? I know there's tons of stuff, but all googling gets me is memes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Tons of stuff. I spend a lot of time just dancing around to kpop and chatting with people. Theres horror games, and movie things, and all kinds of poo poo. The community itself has been crazy welcoming and friendly. Yeah theres weird rear end trolls and some insane things do go on but all in all its been a good time. Plus full body tracking is a riot.

Its sort of one of those things you kinda just need to dive into, and not worry about what you run into.

Yeah, I know there is stuff but I don't know how to get to it, nor any idea where to find a list of cool places.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

randomly join worlds.
If you're worried about joining some super busy one, when you go to "join" it you can create a private or invite friends session so you can dick around without people if you'd like.

Stuff thats populated is "good" for one reason or another, so you can just use the popular list in the games menu tbh

I don't want to just sit through tons of loading screens to fall into a bunch of social spaces. I'm talking about recommendations for actual games and experiences. If you've already found a couple cool things, why not share their names and a quick little description of them?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hhhat posted:

I don't know that I do, honestly.

I'm here cause star war game, but people are like 'no rly you should do the arm swingy thing' and im thinking, if i invest in this thing, maybe i should give myself the option.

There seems to be lots of varying opinions on this, probaly since people do different things with it. I've never played a vr game.

Watch some youtube videos. Don't get it for just one single space game that you don't know will be any good. If you're into flight sims/space sims generally like Elite Dangerous or War Thunder then go for it. If you're at all interested in playing games like Half Life Alyx, you need at least a little bit of space.

Try to get a video that shows the whole setup. Check this channel out, they have a lot of videos on VR stuff that shows them moving about and stuff, but do also keep in mind that they're at the very top end of the market in both hardware and space.

To be honest, if you're only interested in playing Star Wars in VR, PC VR might be too much of a hassle and overkill. Maybe consider PSVR?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I remember playing it in VR on an early dev kit with some sort of tool, probably VorpX. Haven’t done it since. I’ll look into it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Only thing that'd really be good is full on suspension slightly above the ground with some kind of strap on the feet to trick you into thinking your standing on something.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

My Index has arrived! Will be comparing it with the other headsets over the next couple days. Haven't plugged it in yet, but it looks good and is very comfy.

hhhat posted:

OK so

I've played the demo and tutorial... what's first? I really liked the 'hold gun and shoot at target' thing.

I really dont think I want to beat saber. I don't think. I dunno

What yall recommend

Gonna get Alyx for sure but what else

Beat Saber. Just get Beat Saber.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hhhat posted:

but isnt it a rhythm game where you swing your pretend lightsabers at blocks that fly at you and get sweaty or whatever

Yes. Most people that think that sounds dumb that try it end up loving it. If you don't like it, refund it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lord Bob posted:

Have you got any advice on which.. what to buy for this? I recently got a quest and dusted off my sad unused saitek x45 and have been looking for some vr flight sim action, and I see this is in the steam sale, but I'm not sure if that's the "right" il2: sturmovik, or what dlc is "essential"

Pick your favourite planes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, the Index is as one would expect, kinda incredible. Amazingly clear picture, great fit, very comfy, nice IPD adjustment slider and the cable is fairly non intrusive.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There's a discord, it's in the OP.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hhhat posted:

war thunder...

what the f

i just want to try flying a plane

the setup and controls and mapping and everything was bonkers

and when i just hit enough buttons to let me to a tutorial, it wasn't even in 1st person cockpit mode

not to mention, controlling the menus and everything is seemingly impossible

i feel like this game wasnt made for VR at all, and I think i'm right?

Correct, it's not made for VR. It's a free to play game that primarily targets an audience that is playing with mouse and keyboard in an arcade mode. If you want to play War Thunder in VR, you want to play in Simulation Battles mode, and have a mouse handy for menus. Do everything else on your normal screen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If Rez/Rez Infinite didn't work for you, Tetris Effect probably wont either.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol come on nobody does that do they?

Hell yeah they do, though its mostly the people who have ridiculous full simpit setups.

Shine posted:

Head tracking is good poo poo. VR is cool and is how I prefer to play flight sims nowadays, but there are benefits to playing flight sims on a monitor and it's great to have head tracking if you do.

Yeah, especially for older games that don't have support for VR, like IL2 1946, Strike Fighters 2 or Falcon 4 BMS.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tip posted:

Maybe me and my friends are just dumb, but we found Star Trek Bridge Crew to be pretty boring and frustrating.

It's been a while, but my main memory of the game was of struggling to figure out what we were supposed to do and how. Every station was a lovely minigame with no explanation and awkwardly implemented controls.

I bought it for like $9 and regretted it.

Uh, most stations are really simple. Helm moves you, weapons picks targets and fires either phasers or torpedoes, and engineering just moves power around and maybe repairs things occasionally. It's pretty intuitive, and also has a good tutorial. You're also meant to fail the first mission.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

Not even that it looks ugly, just that it's a stationary turret. Why call it Titanfall? What the hell.

Because their goal is to make a Titanfall style game, and they're showing off a prototype of the mech cockpit's basic interactions? It's like looking at a manuscript for a book, and complaining that chapter one isn't even finished, and the main character doesn't even go to the titular location according to the placeholder name, well of course not, the author's barely even started writing it. They might change the name and the scope of the project as they go.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, Labo is for kids. It's the loving coolest thing for kids. But it's for kids.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pierson posted:

I can't imagine a flight simulator with a million buttons and tiny lines of text being playable in VR.

I can't imagine not playing them in VR anymore. DCS is phenomenal in VR, and that's probably the worst in terms of having million buttons and tiny text. Vive was more of a struggle, but Index is absolutely fine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, there are indeed games in VR Chat, just people hardly play them.

Here's one.

It's based on Virtue's Last Reward, a visual novel/escape room game. It's pretty great! Played a couple rounds, going to be uploading the other videos shortly. Really fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Quest is the choice for people without gaming hardware but want VR games. Untethered/tethered isn't the real choice there - it's untethered gaming. Otherwise, there are plenty of mobile competitors.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still don't get VRChat. Outside of this spike, it's either people in public worlds standing around, yapping about less than menial poo poo, or everyone's away in private worlds doing cybersex/-cuddling or whatever the gently caress. At least I figure that's what they do, based on the picture walls in practically every world that links to a private one. And those videos on Youtube is just random dumb hijinks that get old really quick.

I find the random chat rooms utterly pointless. The occasional actual game can be fun though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hhhat posted:

if anyones reading this thread and isnt sure if they should buy half life alyx then yes, they should buy half life alyx

i have no idea how anyone could be whining about anything about this perfect loving game

it made the hardware worth the purchase price

seriously what the gently caress

its like hating on the beatles or the empire strikes back or something

sorry everyone likes this thing but you

I think it's pretty ok, but nothing special. Been playing VR games for a while. It's certainly the prettiest and has the best presentation! It's good to have more games like it and Lone Echo. I think I liked Lone Echo a little bit more though, due to its novel locomotion. Alyx stumbles on a few things that I think would make it much better, mostly inventory handling and the janky balance of its locomotion methods. Wish it hadn't been designed around teleport, since that's my least favourite, but I understand why it needs to be supported for those that can't handle smooth locomotion.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hhhat posted:

or maybe people can handle it yet the game is still perfect

No, uh, some people can't. It's pretty much an accessibility feature at this point - nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with needing it - but it does detract from my experience compared to other games. For example, try out Lone Echo, that game's probably got the single best locomotion system in VR and has a good singleplayer campaign. You can try just the locomotion out in the free Echo Arena.

Nitpicky bullshit at the start of the game definitely colours impressions. That's why the start of Alyx has so much in terms of VR based interaction with stuff like the whiteboard and pens, or that Strider moment. The game is not perfect. Even within its reduced scope as compared to other Half Life titles, it's missing lots of little things that people would much like, such as melee or holsters. That doesn't stop it from being very good! It is!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

If they don't introduce a new PSVR controller for PS5 then PSVR is dead.

Nah, it'll still sell well. Being console VR and appearing cheaper than other forms of VR will ensure a large enough market. The decision to use Move really was a genius business decision, as much as it's terrible from a technical one.

PSVR's made them mad bank, selling at least 5 million units to consumers, and as of two years ago 22 million games, so over a 4x attach rate within the PSVR ecosystem, which is exceptional, and that 5 million units equates to 5% of the PS4 userbase. PS Move, on the other hand, did something like 5 million over its launch during PS3, but that was to retailers - not consumers - expecting Wii levels of success. It did not translate to actual sales.

You guys are coming at this from the perspective of folks with experience with and knowledge of PC VR and its standards. PSVR's only competition is uh, Switch Labo VR, and the (4x more expensive here! PSVR gets you by not including everything you need, which lets them advertise deceptively low prices, which generates more sales!) Oculus Quest.

It is however, very likely they'll have something new and fancy in the pipeline though. Just a question of whether it'll be there on launch, or if they'll hold it back to extend the lifecycle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

unpopular opinion i guess but i couldn't give a poo poo about beat saber. i tried it a bunch, i don't like needing to use random third party services to add poo poo. just not my speed. i know they don't match up 100% all the time but i like audioshield way more, mostly because i just play along to songs i love and want to listen to. audioshield and arrow games are the favourite things i show people who've never used VR before and they always go down well.

people complain about there not being youtube integration anymore, but i never used that stuff, it works better with just your own random song libraries since you still get rankings and poo poo.

Once you install the mods, you can do everything in game. The mods are just a quick installer. It's cool if you prefer Audioshield though, that game's still pretty fun, even if I think it's gotten worse over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Thoatse posted:

Or maybe the chuds and apologists can make themselves a safe space where you're not allowed to say mean things about facebook

I think everybody's united on Facebook being bad. Some folks just prefer talking the tech and the games in a thread for the tech and the games.