Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UK goons can grab a Rift S for £339 until the end of the Sunday, so now would be a good time to grab one if you've been on the fence: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/19/save-60-on-an-oculus-rift-s-just-in-time-for-half-life-alyx/

[edit] Out of stock, so gently caress me I guess. :mad: Might see if I can get cashback elsewhere, I fancy me some VR.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm also going to grab a Rift S, on Friday when I get paid and have no transport costs thanks to isolation. What's the current situation with playing games with 3D display modes through VR? Sonic Generations has a mode for 3D monitors and you bet your rear end I want to rush through Rooftop Run and vomit at the speed of sound.

[edit] I don't really, it seems like an insanely bad idea, but there's probably a few games like this that I can try.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 25, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally managed to bag a Rift S, haven't quite worked out all the controls yet though. If a regular game has stereoscopic 3D built in, what's the easiest way to get that working in VR? I assume it'll just be a virtual screen that displays the game in 3D, but that's fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why does VRChat have a jump button? I almost threw up when I found that one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bought a Quest 2, immediately set up and patched Virtual Desktop; it runs really well wirelessly, which is good because the bedroom where my PC is has sloped walls with literally nowhere to stand and spread my arms, while my living room does.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something I've had fun with this week is Sonic Generations, which has a 3D display mode built in - just switch it to 3D when you load up the game, then switch Virtual Desktop to the correct mode and you've got one of the better Sonic games from an alternate reality where 3D monitors didn't die along with 3DTV. Still need to use a controller, but I found it pretty fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. Virtual desktop can understand 3D game content for 3D tv’s?

Yeah, if you point the controller below the screen in Virtual Desktop and squeeze the trigger you can set different display modes for 3D content.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I gave EchoVR a go today, and it's weird how quickly you go from having your brain turn itself inside out at the slightest movement to being able to float around like a pro.

But boy was I having second thoughts when it was gearing up to slingshot me into the arena in the tutorial, like that moment at the top of a rollercoaster when you're wondering if maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dunno if anyone else has had this, but in Superhot I've had a couple of instances where the AI pulls a gun, then strafes away into another room, never to return. It's funny more than anything though, especially when you have the novelty of pacing about your guardian boundary and busying yourself trying to juggle guns, which isn't really a thing in regular games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

1060 / 5600 (not X) here, Virtual Desktop runs great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would be best to upgrade to Windows 10 if possible, and it can tell you out the box if your hardware is lacking. What in particular are you unable to do with Windows 10? The minimum spec hasn't really changed since 7, so the OS itself shouldn't run any worse, so I'm guessing an old piece of hardware or software?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Both those components have Windows 10 drivers, so there shouldn't be any issues upgrading. If it was unstable when you receive it then the Reset My PC feature does a flat reinstall of Windows 10 and can leave your files in place, although you should obviously back everything up first just in case.

These are the minimum spec for Windows Mixed Reality though, and while the CPU requirements are a bit difficult to work out (as it goes down when you use a dedicated GPU over discrete), it sounds like you might be one generation too old?

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-mixed-reality-minimum-pc-requirements

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The good news is that modern games and modern components are both a lot more resource efficient (practically anything made in the last five years looks and runs better on the same hardware than stuff from ten years ago, I'm looking at you GTA V), so any current gen CPU and GPU, even the low-end ones, will do the job better than your current hardware. If you can stretch to 8GB RAM then you're good to go.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thom and the Heads posted:

Oculus sent me the VR cover facial interface and pleather foam replacement after I got a rash from the Q2's stock foam and god drat is it SO much better. Definitely open a ticket with Oculus Support if you are getting any redness/rash after using the stock Quest 2 foam interface.

I am definitely getting red skin when wearing the Quest 2, no real discomfort but if they're willing to send a replacement then I'll look into that, thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've wanted to replay Time Crisis for ages, and if there's a good way to do it in VR then I am there. Especially the PS1 version, which had an extra story mode.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Screen size was my main worry, so that's good to know. I am going to blow off work on Friday afternoon and get busy with Time Crisis.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there slot car racing or something top down like Micro Machines? That'd be pretty fun in VR, you could have it set on a table in an attic/basement.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gave Arizona Sunshine a go. It's, uh, not great. Going to start Alyx soon instead.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The first time I found the jump button in VRChat I had to rip the headset off as my brain folded itself inside out. EchoVR was a trip the first time too. I can do a lot better with motion now, but I'll probably still avoid smooth turning.

You just get used to it to whatever extent you can, I guess. Games should be clearer about whether there'll be unexpected motion and/or allow you to disable it, though. gently caress Superhot for the bit where it tells you to "take the plunge", then just loving drops you off a building.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Has anyone got Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics working? In VR mode you can look around the room and do absolutely nothing else, none of the buttons do anything at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 16, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a pretty bad faith argument. From my reading they tried other ways; it didn't work, then as a last resort desperation move they had someone shout "YOU ARE ALYX AND NOT GORDON" and people still didn't get it, to which valve gave up.

Literally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkaDSiPrFGs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's nice of Valve to let you adjust the SteamVR resolution, but is there a reason why they can't just give us device presets instead of trying to finagle a slider to the closest match, which on the Quest 2 is never exact?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Possibly a dumb question, but in the Rift interface (for non-Steam / Quest games), how the hell do you close games manually? Minecraft doesn't have an Exit Game button that I can see, and I can't seem to do anything from the Rift dashboard either.

How do other fitness apps stack up btw? Thrill of the Fight is okay but pretty bare-bones, and keeps doing irritating things like spawning the opponent way too close for comfort, putting you at 90 degrees to everything and making you 'step into your corner' before fights even when you want to be stationary. Also having to tap and scroll things in the menu with your big boxing mittens instead of using a pointer. They don't seem to have thought about usability here, even if the fighting mechanics are really well done.

e: Since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, there's now an entire section on the Oculus support site about replacing the facial interface on the Quest 2 due to the number of people complaining about irritation, so get on that if you haven't.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 19, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apple Arcade is pretty well curated, with a low monthly price and actual games without ads and microtransactions. They knew people loving hated the mobile ecosystem and did something about it, so I'm willing to see where they go with this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

Synth Riders is on sale. Thinkin about it. Already have and love Beat Saber.

Is Synth Riders better than Audica or Audio Trip?

Haven't played either of those, but I'm enjoying Synth Riders a lot. It's heavier on synthwave than Beat Saber, as you might expect. Because you need to manoeuvre your hands to the correct position instead of waving sticks, I feel like there's more scope for moving your body and actually dancing a bit, compared to Beat Saber. You'll probably want to buy an extra music pack, and there are custom tracks as well, which are as mixed a bag as you'd expect.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God, Blaston is so fun. Really good workout, tons of fun, everyone gives you a nice pre-match wave or a really dumb bow or something, and you can really see people panicking and spinning around looking for something, anything to fire at you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I want an elite strap and a case, but the strap/battery/case combo are like gold dust right now, and an elite strap and third party case sans battery are close enough in price to the combo that I wonder if I should wait until I can bag all three. Is an Elite strap without the battery counterweight worth it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UK for me, unfortunately.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That looks super good, I feel like it might not fit a case too well though?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, I crippled the small of my back diving to the floor in Blaston. The human body just gives the gently caress up past age thirty, doesn't it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Ven VR is out. Reviews are positive in Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139310/Ven_VR_Adventure/

Also in Viveport Infinity

That looks really cool, and I love how much they want you to know that the villain of this cartoon fantasy world is called Bruce Nelson, like some kind of evil middle manager.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So I got the replacement facial interface from Oculus, and it's definitely more comfortable than the rash-inducing foam, but pleather doesn't soak up sweat, so it also doesn't stop the lenses from fogging up. Are there any good third party alternatives?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not absorbing sweat means it's much easier to clean in the long-run and doesn't turn foul.

I don't mind that, you can detach the plate so it's pretty easy to give it a quick hand wash. I'll see what I can find.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh poo poo, I just learned that Sketchfab lets you preview 3D models in VR, right from your browser.

I loving love our VR future, even if it does register the controller upside down for some reason.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've sideloaded some apps through Sidequest, but I can't see any way to launch them other than through Sidequest itself on my PC, is there a way to launch them on the Quest 2 itself? None of them appear in the app list.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think Synth Riders lets you turn off obstacles, which should work for seated play.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they're including AR then it sounds like they're making a competitor to the Hololens, which is also $3000, or was, anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So the Quest 2 just offered me hand tracking and it mostly works? It's insane what they're wringing out of this thing.

I am also getting seriously tired of the Oculus Link software. Frequent performance issues, and now it won't even load up SteamVR, so I literally can't play PCVR wired anymore, other than Minecraft. SteamVR loads on my PC, but it just dumps me back to the Oculus home screen after a few seconds of loading when I try to select it from my app list.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

explosivo posted:

Do you know about the wireless Virtual Desktop stuff? That totally bypasses the oculus link software and works incredibly well.

Yeah, I have it set up, but my PC is two storeys away from the router, so if I don't have sole use of the living room then wireless is just barely an option up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone surely must have a Virtual Boy VR emulator underway.