Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Agent355 posted:

It is unfortunately very dead. I've already started the amazon return process. Unfortunately I can't get a new one on amazon because they're out of stock because of the price hike lol. Luckily best buy still had one so I just bought that instead.

I could have gone through meta support directly but I was worried about getting the run around and having them spend weeks waiting to ship it back and forth and then try and 'fix' it instead of just giving me a new one right away.

The Meta website seems to have them in stock, why is seemingly no one buying it there? Should I be avoiding that option for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

KakerMix posted:

My SO wanted to get a replacement Quest 2 since stick drift, and went to order from the meta website directly but it takes your credit card, on purchase, and automatically puts it into facebook pay (lol) and she got an email thanking her for signing up with facebook pay. She was rightfully pissed and yanked her card out, then got an email from the meta website saying they had a problem with her order.

She just got one from Best Buy instead, next day delivery.

Lmao, gently caress that. Fair enough, thanks for the heads-up

...is there really no way to fix stick drift without buying a whole new unit? :ohdear:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

On second thought, which purchasing option takes the biggest cut and results in the least amount of money going to Meta?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you care that much, then don't buy a Quest 2. Either go without or get another unit.

"Care that much" = caring at all? Lol

And I would, if it were as easy as you're trying to make it sound. But my budget is not infinite, and it doesn't seem like there are any other units that can do what it can for any remotely comparable price.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 28, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

It also just banned all mods overnight and told its disabled users who needed them for accessibility to get hosed

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What kind of an investment are we talking about for the prescription lenses?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

If your headset is compatible with the $10 Zenni lenses, you can 3D Print (or order) lens inserts for like $30.

That's what I'm talking about. Where do I go to check compatibility?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

VR sale, you say?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

I did manage to get a huge burn spot 1 day after getting it, since I didn't understand quite how sensitive they are to direct light

I'm sorry, what?

I have not been following VR for years and I did not buy my Quest 2 from Amazon, so... is there a list somewhere of all the weird ways like this in which you can break these things, so I can avoid them?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

njsykora posted:

The little cardboard bit that's in there when you first get it straight up says on it DON'T LET SUNLIGHT GET RIGHT IN HERE IDIOT.

Agent355 posted:

It says 'keep out of sunlight' on the stickers you have to remove from the lenses before you can use the quest. It's pretty hard to miss.

Holy poo poo. I'm glad I decided to be a Karen and return my initial unit when I suspected a refurb, because it definitely did not have either of those things. I felt kind of unreasonable at the time because it came sealed and the signs of use were very subtle. But I keep my blinds open anytime it's not the peak of summer, and that would have been an upsetting lesson to learn.

It's all good, though, because the (hopefully new this time) replacement comes tomorrow! :pcgaming:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

forest spirit posted:

for example, I'm fine jumping into different instances/worlds and shooting the poo poo, usually that's what people are doing. discord with strangers and pick up games don't stress me out

but my sister, after completing the tutorial for Gorilla Tag, noped the gently caress out and took off the headset when she realized the voices coming from over the ledge were real people.

I'm not bothered either, but I'm a dude. I'd wager you and your sister have had (and will continue to have) fundamentally different experiences when it comes to strangers on the Internet.

And if VR Chat is a relatively chill and safe exception to the rule (I don't know, I haven't tried it) that's probably because of the community at large giving it the side eye. No community on the Internet stays cute and wholesome for long. As it grows in popularity, the shitheads that validate her reaction will come.

(And I don't blame any of the posters itt who feel awkward anonymously socializing with other people's children, or just don't want to be screeched at by them)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

You get that this comes off as you being super lovely and ignorant, right?

I'm sure they think they're the enlightened one here, but yes, they are being lovely on purpose.

forest spirit posted:

to be clear I don't want anyone to feel any anxiety! if you are stressed by social situations online then you do you! I don't think VR chat throws you into an instance with screaming and yelling kids, which IS what Gorilla Tag does...I gave other examples

My bad, I misunderstood from context and thought Gorilla Tag was a creation inside VR Chat

Off topic, I see a lot of hype for Walkabout Minigolf in this thread. I've seen other Walkabouts mentioned, are any of those as beloved?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Another sealed Quest 2 where the front plastic is a little scuffed out of the box, the controllers are subtly dirty, and there are marks around the USB-C port where it's clearly been plugged in before.

Is Best Buy loving with me, or is it normal for these to come from the factory this way?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

I'd open the next one in store tbh. I wouldn't accept a NEW product with scuffs at all.

Closest store with stock is an hour away, so I'm stuck rolling the mail order dice over and over, with warehouses who are apparently capitalizing on the current stock issues by just sending out refurbs as new. I can't believe they had the absolute balls to do it to me twice.

I want to call them out on this, but I have no idea where to put it that will actually get seen

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 5, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Twitter and such tends to work if you can get a few people to hit it. Honestly sounds like you may just need to call over it.

E: see below, the tweet I made (hopefully) no longer needs attention.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Best Buy is sending me a new new one by Thursday, and "escalated" it to be handled by some special team to make sure they actually put a new one in the box.

At least, that's what the woman on the phone said. No replacement order info has been issued like it was the first time, and nothing has changed in my account. Not sure whose email this got applied to but it does not appear to have been mine.

Buy your next unit from Amazon, folks. They're evil but this poo poo ain't worth it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Anything from the Legion wing of Lenovo is basically guaranteed to be a corner-cut clusterfuck, so I wouldn't devote too much brain power to worrying about it

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Quest 2 saga update: Best Buy sent me a third unmarked refurb (in a loving row, making it three for three).

I told support that we've been through this twice already now so just send me to a supervisor, and they said one will call me back in two hours.

:negative:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

If it makes you feel better, it was probably the same exact one three times

Lol, it actually wasn't, the giveaway damage was in a different place each time! Such a fun game to have to look for.

This last one was subtle enough that I might have missed it if they hadn't put me on high alert via the first two. Number two was extremely obvious, like they didn't even try to correct the problem. The area around that USB port looked like the front door keyhole area of someone who comes home drunk every night.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Agent355 posted:

I ordered mine from best buy and I don't think I got a refurb. At least it had the stickers on the lenses. But maybe I did, who knows, I'm not that observant.

I didn't get far enough on the first one to find the lens stickers, but the last two did have them. It looks like they always replace the foam and lenses.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Harminoff posted:

What was the issue with the third one?

Same as the first, basically. Minor marks and scuffs all around the casing that couldn't be explained by shipping in that packaging. Fabric worn away on the edges of the side piece. One tiny dent in the plastic on top. The kinds of little dings and marks in the finish that only happen with light use over time. It's in decent condition for a refurb or open box deal, but it's not the new item that I ordered, have specifically requested as a replacement twice now, and paid an extra $50 for vs the refurb listing (which I would have picked if I wanted this). I'm honestly less concerned about the scuffing and wear than I am with the fact that it's a stealth refurb at all. I don't know what caused it to be returned in the first place, and I don't trust Meta or Best Buy to thoroughly and ethically handle returns/refurbishment, especially when they aren't even labeling the items as such.

Also...

Unsinkabear posted:

I told support that we've been through this twice already now so just send me to a supervisor, and they said one will call me back in two hours.

They never loving called me. :argh:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 11, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What is the next best thing to a Quest in terms of value, if I care about controller quality as well as display quality? (I'm considering just telling Best Buy to suck a dick.)

The flight sim thread had wonderful things to say about the Reverb G2, and it's on a solid sale right now, but they mentioned that its controllers are so bad that it's basically just a sim hat.

Sit-down cockpit games are admittedly my main use case, but I'd like to be able to at least try things like Beat Saber and Moss on whatever I get

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 12, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Lockback posted:

Can you get a quest 2 from somewhere other than Best Buy?

Not without spending an extra $100 now, at which point it's the same price as an on-sale G2 (speaking of, does anyone know when that sale ends?)

GutBomb posted:

I’ve had lots of headsets, a rift cv1, a rift S, a quest 2, an acer WMR headset, a Samsung odyssey plus, PSVR, and I currently have a reverb g2. The psvr had the worst controllers of the bunch, and the acer, Samsung, and reverb g2 all have basically the same controllers. The main downsides they have is that their battery life is terrible compared to the other headsets and they have no finger tracking whatsoever. Finger tracking isn’t one of those things that’s ever mattered to me outside of one game (vrchat) so that’s not a big deal. The tracking problems people complain about with WMR controllers are overblown. I’ve played through many VR games with the WMR controllers and they are perfectly adequate. You’re not gonna be getting world record runs on beat saber with them but they’re fine.

The picture quality on the reverb g2 is miles ahead of the quest 2 or any other headset I’ve tried. I’m sure the super costly ones like the pinax or varja ones are better looking, but for me if they’re both $400 I’d rather just get the reverb g2.

Thanks for the summary. I guess I'll look into a G2 if Best Buy won't fix this situation. I'm still in the very short (15 days, lmao) window where they have to accept a return.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Honestly your credit card company would refund this in a heartbeat based on what you've told us so far so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd make em keep replacing em out of spite and when they try to gently caress around after day 30 and refuse to help, chargeback. You have so much paper trail here with returns that any bank would be like "lol nope, heres your money bud".

This is a great point.

Got a fourth one in-store today, also scuffed up out of the sealed box. At this point I'm starting to think it's Meta.

When I spoke to customer service on the phone, they said they couldn't exchange it again, but when I pressed they allowed for a return + new order with a price override to still cost $300. Then she claimed that could only be done with a card and not PayPal (my previous payment method), so I took the opportunity to move the purchase onto my card with the most generous protections.

The in-store folks were as baffled by this whole thing as I am, and warned me that I would not be able to exchange again without paying the $100 price difference. While there's no way on earth I would let that slide, it did give me pause as to whether this poo poo is worth continuing out of pure spite when I have very limited time. So I said gently caress it and took this one home, it's the least onerous so far and I can pretend that who knows, maybe they really do just come from the factory this way.

Fired it up and got my free Beat Saber, but I'm actually thinking about taking it back and ordering the Reverb G2 anyway (despite the latter's quirks). I haven't tried VR in a while and was surprised by how much blurring and screen door effect there still is on the Quest. It's fine for the price, given the way people talk about it I kind of assumed that was closer to a solved problem

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

My G2 v2 does fine on Beatsaber. I’m playing on Expert and haven’t noticed any tracking problems.

Awesome. Is that the current version that's on sale for $400, or do I need to look for that separately?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Is the quest 'bad' to you? Are you not enjoying it? Is there something really lacking you miss?

Late response because I really appreciate the feedback and wanted to give a full reply. To be blunt, the screen feels more like a tech demo or novelty product than a mature technology. I believe y'all that it's better than the competition, and I'm not trying to bash your choice of device. But so far it has rarely been enough to trick my brain into feeling "there." And when it does, the effect always gets broken eventually. Idk if it's because the quality of my pancake screen has improved lately so the divide between the two visual experiences is larger, or because my IPD seems to be right between the second and third fixed spacing options the Quest gives you so everything feels slightly off, or just a result of the screen dooring that is still very visible to me... even if this is a relatively high resolution compared to other headsets. Probably some combination of all three.

I've also had a ton of technical difficulties with it. Maybe I'm dumb and there are solutions to these things that I just don't know because I haven't kept up with the industry, but there are no obvious answers in the menus or on Meta's site. It stutters like crazy on Wifi 5 and is better but still not perfect on a designated Wifi 6. Direct connection is also out because it constantly disconnects from the KIWI link cable made specifically for it (even though when you go to reconnect, the headset and PC still see each other just fine). When I try another non-USB-3 cable, it works fine for about an hour, and then graphics slowly begin to degrade with weird color washout and texture decay? It's like entering the Nega Zone, I don't even know how to describe it. It also gets real weird if I boot games straight from Oculus instead of going Oculus -> SteamVR -> game. One of those times resulted in the PC ignoring all non-Quest inputs, even after completely shutting down the headset, until I killed and rebooted it by holding the power button down (even the case reset button was ignored). It was still responsive to the Quest in-game the whole time, though.

That's not even all of it, I know I'm forgetting other weird stuff we've bumped into. For the "just works" option, the experience so far has been hella cursed.

EbolaIvory posted:

I ask this because as much as I probably would prefer the G2 as a headset, having stand alone is actually really quite nice

On a more positive note, can you elaborate on this? Because I'm going to be using it in the same spot next to my desk either way, and I have never once taken my Switch out of my apartment. So aside from blowing my parents minds with it one time, I can't think of many compelling reasons why wireless is a big enough deal to make sacrifices for. It seems real popular though, so I feel like I'm missing something.

EbolaIvory posted:

The accessories available for making it nicer, way more on the quest side.

Maybe I'm missing something here too, because so far most of the appealing Quest accessories I've seen are solutions to problems it raises. An actually usable strap, a link cable because it doesn't come with its own, etc. As far as I can tell the G4 comes with everything it needs, you're just done.

EbolaIvory posted:

Its going to be supported longer. Every game and app coming out will have at least minimal quest support, even pcvr side.

This is the main thing you've said that concerns me, but I don't know enough to understand the rationale. Don't apps on the PCVR side build for Steam VR rather than all the possible devices themselves? I get that Quest is the market leader everyone has to keep in mind, but I'm not seeing why the Reverb needs to worry. It's not exactly ancient, they came out the same year.

EbolaIvory posted:

I mentioned tracking but yeah, tracking.

Wasn't tracking the main thing improved in the V2 upgrade? It sounded like several people above were disagreeing with you here, unless we're talking about different kinds of tracking.

EbolaIvory posted:

I'd say keep the quest and roll with it. If you want a fancier dedicated PCVR headset later, awesome, grab whatever next index or some poo poo comes out. I just wouldn't drop coin on a G2 right now personally. Not as a normal rear end person buying my first main headset anyways.

Sure I'd add it to my pile of 9 headsets on the cheap tho! Great piece of tech no denying that.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to afford anything Index tier anytime soon, that's why the steep discount on these two is appealing. Trying to land somewhere in the middle with something a little more immersive but also not annoyingly bad for things like Moss and Beat Saber.

Any reason why you wouldn't get a G2 right now specifically? Is there anything coming up in the market that could compare/beat getting one at $400?

I decided to side-by-side compare them, and ordered a Reverb as well as the Quest link cable (which has failed so far) and an elite strap clone with a battery pack. Despite the Quest fighting me at every step I really am doing my damnedest to give them both a fair shake before I return the loser.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 15, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

forest spirit posted:

VR isn't magic lol. You aren't ever going to feel like you're in another world

get the quest 2.

also, don't anyone, ever, purchase a headset based off of Moss. You listed like that and Beat Saber.

Moss is an hour and a half toddler platformer. It was/is fine. But beyond a cute mouse the game is not even worth mentioning.

I REALLY want to make sure I have the right 500$ headset for the barely-game.

Sorry it's just Moss does nothing whatsoever to indicate it couldn't have just been a switch game. I've seen more beautiful pancake games, seeing a forest in 3D and it being a diorama now doesn't make it magical.

But yeah don't by the reverb. cords are 2017

Lol, jfc are you serious? I've mentioned Moss, Beat Saber, and Elite Dangerous because those are the games I've tried so far, not because those are the only games I'm interested in and am buying exclusively with those in mind. What an insane leap to make just so you can bash a game that didn't do it for you. The visual issues I'm having are across the board and not just limited to Moss.

Feeling like you're in the game world is literally the entire point of VR, so "that will never happen" is also a pretty buck wild thing to say. This ain't my first rodeo and I've personally experienced that feeling before on the Rift, so idk what you're on about.

Not only did you ignore 90% of what I said and not offer any advice on the actual issues I'm encountering, you also didn't even make a single legit argument here for the Quest or against the Reverb other than "cords are 2017." I don't normally see you posting like this so all I can say is go have breakfast, drink some coffee, and try again. :shrug:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 15, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

No, but that (and later the Vive, maybe I'm conflating the two experiences because it has been a hot minute) compared to 1080p was enough to blow my mind in a way that this when I'm used to 1440p/4k is not.

It's also completely possible that this thing is busted, or some setting somewhere is causing it to run in lower resolution than it should. I don't know anyone local who has a known good one, or else I would love to pop that on and see how it's supposed to look

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fair enough, I'll keep troubleshooting. Maybe I just haven't done enough with it yet to appreciate the standalone aspect as much as everyone else seems to

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BrainDance posted:

Problem is, all the other options software wise for other headsets aren't really any better.

Oof, that's rough.

I did go looking for that option, but all I could find was bitrate controls. Those introduced visual and audio stutter when I took it off auto and cranked it to 200, but didn't seem to improve visuals or framerate. I need to switch the Quest back to being on the primary Wifi 6 router w/ everything else on my secondary Wifi 5 network, and I guess put bitrate back on auto?

It's weird that there's no direct resolution setting anywhere that you can check, though

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 15, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Welp. It's already on the way, but I have no qualms about sending it back if it sucks. Might be a used Rift S or something in my future if they're both disappointing

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BrainDance posted:

It's in the Oculus software in the Device tab

The same place as where you set the refresh rate

Found it, thanks. I had clicked on both "Quest 2 and Touch" and "Quest 2" in that menu, but hadn't realized you could scroll down the former. It was set to 72Hz and "Automatic." That meant 1.0x render resolution (4128 x 2069) right now with nothing running, but who knows what it was dropping to the rest of the time. I switched off automatic to lock it there, we'll see if that helps.

Edit: I also had to restart the Quest to get it to find the PC via Airlink this time. Hopefully needing that reboot was the source of the previous cable connection trouble as well, rather than both of those being a sign of ongoing connection problems with this unit :ohdear:

Kazy posted:

Don't get a Rift S if you plan on using social VR at all. Or plan on using a separate microphone. It has a design flaw where the mic becomes extremely drive thru quality.

It's pretty notorious in VRChat.

Lol gently caress, alright

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 15, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Just brainstorming here, does the USB3 cable on the Quest 2 need to be plugged into a 3.0 port? Could using 3.2 (the closest my mobo has) be the problem?

I'm assuming no, but I know some things like wireless receivers can get funky in those circumstances so I gotta cross it off the list of possibilities

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I was recommended this one for a battery integrated option that's an elite clone but won't break. Seems to be pretty popular

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

orange juche posted:

The bobo stuff is great because the batteries are hot-swappable, so if you get a charging dock you can buy a second battery and then just live in VR wirelessly and swap batteries every ~2h and never have your batteries die. I think I was in VR continuously for 9 hours at one point according to XSOverlay lol, in various applications. Never had a low battery warning as long as I remembered to swap the batteries every 2h.

(I have the BoboVR M2 Pro though, so it's probably more comfortable for long term wear than the elite strap since it's a halo band, though it has its own problems when it comes to headband bulk since it isn't modular like the newer Plus stuff)

E: If you're a fan of the Elite Strap back that holds on to your head, they do have an M2 Plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3RWQZGS which combines the halo strap with Elite back, and is probably more comfortable and easier to clean than the M2 Pro, it does not have the Battery module with it though, that is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4FWPR1Z)

I don't know if I'm a fan of elite or halo yet, but I got the impression most people preferred the former?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Quest Saga update: Costco has the 256gb model bundled with a carrying case for the old $400 price. In-warehouse only, but you can use Instacart to check your warehouse's stock before going in (be stubborn and specific, it didn't show up under "quest" but did under "quest 2")

I nabbed one of those and returned the Best Buy one, because their service experience has been horrible while Costco gives a full year of help and return window.

The new one is also jacked, for what it's worth. The headset is in the best condition of any of the five so far, but the left controller has a big black scratch around the inside of the circle (how do you even manage that?). This one was manufactured in December and still has the old Oculus branding on the box instead of Meta, so it can't be from the same batch. I think their factory QA must just not give much of a drat about cosmetics (still no idea about the one whose USB port was clearly scratched up from trying to plug in with the headset on, though).

Is there anything I should worry about with the older version, or is it just box branding and no other differences?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

So I discovered my case has USB 3.0 ports on top. Is it going to introduce any latency or other issues if I use those instead of the direct motherboard I/O?

I'm hoping that will solve my issue with the Quest 2 constantly disconnecting from the Kiwi cable (I'm assuming that's caused by my mobo only having 2.0 and 3.2 ports, since that's our best theory so far)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, that port is also connected to the motherboard internally, it should be the same...

Different SSD slots on the same motherboard can have different speeds depending on their placement, and that's not even a cabled vs on-board thing. As finicky as this stuff has been so far, it seemed worth a double-check. :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I use those and they're absolutely fine for me.

Dope, ty

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Note, totally identical except for branding, and once you update it it'll have the Meta branding on startup as well.

Thanks!

orange juche posted:

Elite strap style headbands are generally lighter overall and can be comfy for some people if you can deal with the headset pressing tighter against your face and potentially leaving a mark.

For the record, the (original) boboVR M2 halo style bands are bulky and not comfortable to lay down in...

I meant to ask about this earlier, but why would you wear it laying down or sleeping?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Gym Leader Barack posted:

The type with the right-angled plug at the quest end? I had one of these and got random dropouts/disconnects/refusals to detect until I reversed the right-angle so it faced unintuitively forwards and all the problems stopped. Then I switched to airlink which is much better overall.

Interesting. I actually started with mine facing forwards, then had the same thought and flipped it backwards, but no dice. Maybe a different brand of cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

We're not going to have VR porn chat here.

:mods:

Wait, poo poo... admins?!