Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would like it if the OP mentioned the pucks in the controllers. Since it's the one other reason to burn money on an index and it's certainly worth talking about more than some of the other input devices on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Looks like its gonna time to dust off the ol' headset. Maybe I'll pick up Lone Echo for now that I've got VR on the mind, I've heard its really good.

So is this releasing Thursday, somehow, or is it just doing the full reveal Thursday. I assume its the second, but that the game itself probably isn't too far out?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cicero posted:

Really? I haven't found one. In particular, both Half-Lifes nail the balance between action, puzzle-solving, and exploration, all while having a reasonably well-executed narrative that sets the mood and feels immersive without being so in your face and time-consuming with cutscenes that it gets annoying.

NuDoom? Although I guess that doesn't really have puzzle solving. But I don't remember much actual puzzle solving from the Half Life games either. I'm assuming we're limiting to shooters here.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cicero posted:

You don't remember the many physics puzzles in Half-Life 2? Swinging a crane around, putting down planks on the sand to avoid the ant lions, etc?

edit: also this one with the weights and ramp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iib5XsGAUdw

I remember the ant lion one now that you mention. The others... the others I do not.

I remember plenty of cool neat physics demonstrations, but most of them weren't puzzles.

TACD posted:

Please hook me up with some quotes from people who think the new Half-Life game is going to be made in freakin' Unity

They think its going to use the Boneworks engine for some reason.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 20, 2019

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks is a game in Unity, it isn't an engine. Its just a small team.

Boneworks has built plenty of its own engine logic, and since apparently there's been collaboration between them and the valve team some people are convinced Valve is going to use the resulting engine for its own game. That's the argument to it being in Unity.

If they really are collaborating I think sharing behavioural logic is probably the limits, its not actual code, and I don't even know the extent to which that holds water.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I almost never break out my VR stuff anymore, and there's really two reasons.

One, the cable is a huge headache. Taking it out, putting it away, getting it twisted, getting it tangled on things.

Two, basically none of the genres I regularly play have decent VR games because why would you bother putting them in VR, and why would I bother putting on a headset to play them if they did.

I also have a child and a cat, both of which make it unappealing, although my son absolutely love-love-loves Job simulator and uses the kit more than me. Which is probably not great for a four year old. Eh.

I love VR as a concept but I sort of feel it was a bad investment for me personally, and I just wish it wasn't such a hassle and I look forward to the days of wireless PC VR so much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Out of interest, what genres do you like? There's definitely still a long way to go for the medium in terms of content but I feel like there's been a lot of progress over the past year.

I'm currently playing Kingsway and X-Com and Katamari Damacy, prior to that my steam list we've got Steamworld Heist, Rain World, Westerado, This War of Mine.

My most hours on record is Battle Brothers, Xenonauts, Terraria, FTL, then Subnautica.

Of them, only Katamari would get any benefit from being in VR, I think. Subnautica I did play in VR for a while, but the support was not great and the hassle became too much, but I think a good VR implementation of it would have been amazing. But you got to go waaay down on my list of games to get to one where even a good VR implementation would be worth the hassle of putting the thing on.

The problem is I barely use 3d, forget VR.

And I'm not seeing a good VR strategy game coming out for a long time, if ever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No Mans Sky is the VR exploration game that Subnautica was trying to be

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, if you haven't tried it you should take a look at "from other suns".

Thanks for the recommendations. Both are games that weren't on my radar at all (I didn't realize NMS supported VR, and I've never even heard of From Other Suns), I'll check them out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Man Lone Echo is great, been loving this. Bought this, and the other game made by the same people i haven't played yet, and The Climb.

Also, I know most people here don't like it, but Job Simulator is still, imo, hands down the best introduction to VR, with high interactivity and discovery and an emphasis on physically moving around to do things combined with zero nausea potential. And it's also by far the best younger kid game on the system still, the kids I know beg to play it every time they come over, they love the car mechanic mode especially.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 3, 2019

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I have no idea if they are real or not, and imo even if they are real, is besides the point: you can't make a mainstream product with the premise of 'you only will have sickness problems for the first 2-3 weeks!'. Yeah, people aren't going to get potentially queasy for a pair of weeks just to play a drat video game.

While there is some truth to this, its worth pointing out that this is true of FPSs in general as well - unless you were exposed to them from a young age, they cause motion sickness for most people for a couple weeks. Yet they still got very popular!

But mostly its because I don't think every game needs to care. Portal made a bunch of people motion sick, moreso than normal First Person games, but it was integral to the experience so its just, like, whatever, that's the price you pay. Boneworks seems to be the same. It sucks in a way, but I'm glad they're pushing things you know? And Steam's return policy should cover it if you can't cope.

In other news, I'm not actually getting Boneworks any time soon. Gonna finish Lone Echo and play a lot more of The Climb first (both of which are great, and neither of which caused any motion sickness at all in me).

I'm definitely on a VR kick though. Good to be back.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Man the back half of Lone Echo is hot garbage, to the point where it's actually souring me on all the fun I had before and making me wish I hadn't bought this piece of poo poo.

Didn't realize it was gonna be a "crawl through confusing death tunnels forever for reasons that don't make any damned sense" simulator.

I have no idea what I'm even supposed to be doing right now, there's only one death tunnel and it seems to lead to a dead end. There's a hole that it looks like you can get out, but you can't, especially now that its clogged with corpses. So I guess this is where it ends for me, unless someone has some advice and can make some vague reassurances that it gets good and fun again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What part of "We're hosed anyway, may as well try our luck and check out the ship that hosed up our station? doesn't make sense?

The death tunnels suck rear end though, there's no denying that. The first act of Lone Echo is waaaaay better than the second.

The fact that Liz supposedly survived these highly irradiated zones and death tunnels with ease, which is the whole reason we're exploring the ship. Also the existence of the death tunnels at all. All of this seems dumb.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 13, 2019

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I liked the death tunnels, they were spooky and just confusing enough that I got turned around a couple times without ever totally losing my bearings. As with all things VR though atmosphere can matter. I was playing in just underwear with air conditioning on full blast and it just felt so cold and alien and spooky. Loved that entire game.

For what it's worth it's worth persevering in my opinion, you're close to the end and the finale is fantastic.

I literally cannot figure out what it wants me to do next.

There's a tunnel with sort of a pipe running through the center, explodey bullshit everywhere, and then as far as I can tell the "exit" is a tiny little hole it's impossible to fit through.

It's shortly after The computer sent me to find the survivors.

Edit: Watched a video and I definitely have to go through this tiny rear end death hole, gently caress. I'm just gonna watch the end on youtube, there's like an hour of videos after this point and its not worth it to go through another hour of this.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 13, 2019

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I assume this is NOT just supposed to be a 3 second video of a dude shooting a guy once and laughing?

Edit: I found the part in the full video and that was great

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 13, 2019

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My all hands meeting at work the other day devolved into a discussion about how the new conference space would be perfect for playing Bridge Crew.

So there's that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

They didn't do body pouches/holsters because over the shoulder is the only body position accessible to sitting play. They went hard on accessibility for the control scheme, and that limited some of their design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's weird that you can't seem to reload the SMG mid-clip in HL:Alyx, considering none of the other weapons give a drat about your remaining mag count. It's also surprising just how much SMG ammo the game's willing to give you, considering it's pretty drat stingy with shotgun ammo to the point there's zero reason to waste resin on it.

The game gives you more ammo based on which guns you use. Use the shotgun as your first line weapon and you'll get a lot more ammo for it, although it will never feel like enough.