Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

Does Oculus have any plans to do an "enthusiast" grade hardware in the near future?

they had a prototype thing with a bunch of cool poo poo that would probably cost $1000 but rumours say it got dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah what i meant, $1000 would be the lowest possible price for all that, just for the hmd probably

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm 100% vive pro + Wireless + index controllers master race over here, I'd never swap to an index unless wireless hits.

big :same:

wireless is just so good. not having to untangle cable after a long session, being able to circlestrafe in first person shooters without constantly switching directions, cable not constantly getting caught into chair corners while looking around in simulators, not even remotely caring about your cable in beat saber. it's just so good.

what i'm saying is, someone make a hack for the vive wireless adapter to work with index already goddammit

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I quickly found that slow mode just made me do the actually hard songs wrong because the spacing between notes was too slow :v:

No fail is great tho, just playing through the entire song several times trying to get as little misses as possible, and then you use practice mods to only practice a single part if it's needed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

I've always been really easy to make car sick if I'm not driving too. Has anyone noticed if prolonged VR experience has lessened their overall susceptibility to carsickness?

it's made it worse for me lol
e: then again, i'm in a car maybe once every year these days so that probably helped.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

So I know this might seem like an odd question, but could someone make a virtual "cable" that's a USB connection to transmitter on one side to a USB connection and receiver on the other?

that's how the vive wireless works. one side is just a pcie card with a coax cable and antenna attached, the other side plugs into the headset, and when you plug the headset into a battery, windows detects a bunch of usb/audio/video devices.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The rail/elevator/raft/floaty maps in serious sam last hope were amazing and felt like playing shootemups in vr, so bring me more of this poo poo hell yeah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Also, looks like car mechanic simulator is getting a VR port.

Oh my god, that was the perfect "just chill out game but also I wish I could do this in VR" game for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
most vr games run great on a gtx970, so with a beefy gpu it's not gonna be a big deal

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's also an incredibly zen game. When I want to chill out I put on some Chuck Ragan and wrench rusty cars for an hour and it extremely does the trick

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I swear steam crashes itself to force updates as well. Like, Just say "hey we have to update now please". I've never had a crash, that didnt result in an update.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

The "steam is updating" window shows up any time steam didn't exit 100% cleanly (a lot of the time, lol), as it uses the same window for just verifying files too, for some reason.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.leapmotion.com/ probably something like this

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is the music in the trailer representative of the music in pistol whip? because holy moley that's bad lol.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/10F5J8YE50o0zB13Hk7TQM

There's a mix, but its mostly EDM like beat saber or Rez because you wanna hit that dancey groove

spotify doesn't work for me so I'll just take this as a yes and wait for custom maps I guess :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks, that works. Yeah I'm definitely waiting for custom maps to happen before buying. :v:

Also, yeah, spotify is poo poo: "Spotify is currently not available in your country.
Follow us online to find out when we launch."

Everything else has been available here for years. Though a lot of things has up to 90% of the library still locked ~for licensing reasons~, the only exception being google play music because google has too much cash to be bothered with licenses and poo poo i guess

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at first I thought vive staying warm while just plugged in was dumb, then Iunplugged it once, and then when I started playing lenses immediately fogged up.

Now I use wireless so it happens every time in the summer, since it's unplugged most of the time :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

somethingawful bf posted:

The resetera thread is an absolute joy. The amount of salt is amazing.

please link

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

If it's the big leap forward that it's rumored to be I don't think it'll work in flatscreen at all.

ehh, it could work, but it'd probably be insanely clunky. just having two hands instead of a single crosshair is a major upgrade.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

somethingawful bf posted:

For all the negativity though, there are plenty of people in that thread and elsewhere saying that they area going to get a headset because of the game which is pretty awesome.

yeah if valve actually delivers here, this could be pretty good for vr

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR? i finally have a phone that was built in this decade. are there any comfy cardboard-compatible headstraps or is the only way to do that decently a quest?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just want it for watching poo poo in bed more comfortably, so 6dof isn't needed at all. looking online it looks like my phone won't fit most decent cardboard headmounts tho since it's too long :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
100euros used is a bit steep for something i'll use twice per month, i was looking into phone vr because it'd be under $30 :v:

i'll take it under consideration tho, thanks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Is there likely to be an Oculus Quest 2 next year? I'm tempted to get the Quest for use with the Link but wouldn't mind waiting if an updated one is coming out soon.

quest is kinda a console, so it's doubtful, but OTOH even consoles have been doing hardware upgrades lately, AND it's fairly early hardware so who the gently caress knows

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

It seems extremely likely that they're losing money with the Quest (how could they seriously sell the Rift S and the Quest at the same price point when the Quest also has like an entire phone in it as well?), and their goal seems to be making VR cheaper and easier for people to access. I'd guess it's more likely they'd be focused on driving down the cost, and maybe some sort of re-design or comfort refresh or something with the same guts. I wouldn't expect to see a Quest 2 for another few years.

yeah it's doubtful, but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if a refresh was out soon-ish, kinda like vive v1.0 vs 2.0 that came out half? a year later that was lighter and probably cheaper to produce. same device, just more refined.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they said ~13h of gameplay iirc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Penpal posted:

I just bought a Vive Wireless Adapter, what is the recommended battery pack to pick up for it?

I'm using https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh-Portable-Compatible/dp/B01LQ81QR0/ lasts about 5 hours and fits the holster that comes with the kit.

Check if you can get it cheaper, it's pretty expensive on amazon.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Third party songs could easily have killed them through no fault of their own so long as the wrong music company felt like crushing them.

lol there's way more popular rythm game poo poo out there than the VR only beat saber that even have custom song support as a big selling point rather than just a minor thing, and they don't get crushed by wrong music companies

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I finally bought NMS, time to rage about my old PC not running it smoothly I think :v:

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

EDIT: tl;dr: copyright was a mistake

:colbert:

Cicero posted:

If I was the Beat Saber devs I'd probably sell too, and I'm not sure there's a better big company around for that in the VR space than Facebook. I mean Valve would definitely be better, but I feel like they wouldn't be interested in this case.

Yeah. Valve, on the rare occasion that they care about an actual game, seems to mostly be interested in experimental poo poo. After half-life which itself was kinda unique when it was new, they "bought" some half life mods and a custom war3 map, they made portal/l4d games, etc.

BS is "just" a rhythm game. Very good and enjoyable, but still I don't see any of the big nerds at valve caring too much about another rhythm game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"Players providing their own mp3s" would be seen just the same, because copyright holders, like all capitalists, are batshit loving insane man. Also there would quickly be a mod that joins the files together again because gently caress legality when it exists exclusively to inconvenience.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
luckily, beat saber supports custom songs so you can get all your favourite powerpop and anime songs you want

well, not really most of the custom songs are terrible music too, but the game is good enough that the couple good that are on there will last you forever IME

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of bad ideas, is it possible to easily root the quest/go? i might be willing to buy facebook hardware if i can remove them from the software bits

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

I promise to only use my power for good.

where's the jedi knight with vr controllers then???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

My gaming PC from 2015, but I get your meaning.

If I am ever in a position to play h3vr I will :haw:

so's mine, op

vr games still work fine :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah fallout's vr thing is far worse than skyrims IIRC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I lock my Facebook account down on recommendations/targeting and privacy anyways.

incredibly cute that you think this actually does anything

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i see your vr movements have been a bit sluggish lately, here buy some isostar

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That sort of data is also usually straight up volunteered anyways.

lmfao stfu bootlicker

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"facebook stealing all my data is perfectly fine because i agreed to a 543289752349857 page EULA"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dude, almost every single post you make in this thread is licking zucc's boot, just stop already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao every year there's a big scandal about facebook overstepping every possible line, zucc getting public loving hearings, but hey things are actually :frogout:

e: i still remember rolling my eyes every single time people went "well, you should buy facebook's device anyway, it's not really connected to facebook itself" any time someone raised concerns, and now that the inevitable happened we're still here, listening to a dumbass bootlicker pretending stealing customer data is "nuanced"

Truga fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 3, 2020