Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I just bought a Quest 2 and I'm finding it a nice improvement over the Rift S. I had bought the Rift over the OG Quest against the OP's advice because I wanted SteamVR stuff and wasn't convinced that the Quest's PCVR options would be good enough. Now I've been playing around with the Q2 and oh my god, SteamVR over wireless Virtual Desktop is a complete revelation. Was streaming/Link this good on the first Quest, or has it been upgraded for the new one? I kept seeing stuff about it being buggy and having noticable compression artefacts but I'm not really experiencing any of that. Was I an idiot for buying a Rift all along?

The only real issue I'm having is with the passthrough. I've turned the Guardian off completely 'cause I have a small, irregular space and the in-headset border is a constant intrusion. Unfortunately, this seems to disable all options for using the passthrough view, which I sometimes do to e.g. put my controllers down somewhere safe. Double-tapping the headset doesn't work, I don't see the option in my Quest menu any more. Is there a way to turn Guardian off and leave passthrough on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Lemming posted:

If you keep the guardian on but just draw the walls really massive, like way past the bounds of your actual space, then the double tapping will work and you'll never see the actual guardian. There might be some settings you can use to make it less pronounced as well, but I just do that first thing and it works for me.

Oh, great idea, don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

What is the point of the double-barreled shotgun in TWD: Saints and Sinners? I was excited to get it bc who doesn't love a good double barred shotgun, but it's loud, only gets off one shot per reload, and takes up your long weapon slot. Seems like the base revolver is just better all around.

I think the point of it is to teach the player that double-barrelled shotguns aren't a particularly practical choice for fending off zombie hordes.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't think that the finger tracking is the "killer" feature for the Knuckles controllers. The design of them being something that you strap to your hands so that you can open our hand completely and not drop them is the reason I like them so much.

On that subject, if folks are using any kind of Oculus controller and haven’t bought knuckle straps yet, definitely do that, it’s a huge improvement. I’ll never go back to wrist straps. Was very pleased that my old Kiwi Rift straps worked in the redesigned Touch controllers with only a minimal bit of nail-clipper surgery to the strap.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

iron buns posted:

quote:

“I think we’re more than a few minutes from the future of VR,” Ryan said. “PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment. Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we’re very pleased with all the experience that we’ve gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forwarding to seeing where that takes us in the future.”

So no PSVR 2 in 2021. The author is guessing late 2022. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Boy, this definitely sounds like a company that has big exciting plans for VR content, huh. Can't wait to see the, uh, meaningful component of interactive entertainment Sony have in store... at, um, some stage... this year? No. Next year? No. But definitely at, uhm, at some point in the future. We believe in it, though, that's for sure.

I mean, I'd love to be shown wrong (I own a PSVR and had a couple of months of decent use out of it), but if Sony genuinely want to get into VR content in a big way, I don't really think they've got two years before they're left behind.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

I really loved Alien Isolation and it had amazing visual design. It sounds like it would be incredible exploring that environment in VR. It is a real shame that I can't because I would immediately and uncontrollably poo poo myself lifeless the first time the Xenomorph showed up.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Q2 owners: how is the controller battery going? I read it w as 4x more efficient, but I'm now wondering if that was just the lower bound...

They seem to be far more efficient than that. I've been using mine for a solid week and the charge indicators for both controllers still read as full.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

I have to say the vanilla strap doesn't feel even remotely uncomfortable to me, I have no idea what I would get out of an elite strap.

The base strap is usable for me but after using a Rift S for the past few months there's a big difference in feeling and comfort. The weight all being at the front puts much more pressure on my brow and if I tighten the strap enough for things to stay stable through sudden head moves, then it leaves visible pressure marks on the skin and short-lived irritation after an hour's play. They're pretty minor concerns but definitely noticeable compared to the Rift, which was far more comfortable and easy to lock to a perfect position for me. I'm looking forward to whenever I can actually get my hands on a strap that'll give me better balance. (Anybody got any recommendations for decent alternative straps, ideally not sold out, even more ideally available to ship to the UK?)

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Does Thrill of the Fight require decent roomscale space, or can you play it standing?

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Warbird posted:

Is the Quest 2 to PC link (dev stuff, not game tethering) super finicky about the cables being used? I don’t have many USB3 to USB-C cables lying around so I could just have bad luck.

Not really, in my experience? It should work fine over even a USB2 cable as long as it carries data and isn't purely a charging cable. Make sure you're enabling data transfer in the headset menu every time you plug in.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

yegods posted:

Ok thanks for boiling it down. However, it was implied, if not said directly, that playing the steam games involved using the virtual desktop? Was that only for regular steam games, not VR games?

To play SteamVR games on a Quest 2, you can:

1. Buy an Oculus Link cable. They are $80, 16 feet long, connect by USB3, and will give an analogous experience to using a Rift S. That is to say, turning on Oculus Link takes you to your Oculus home area as you have it set up now, and you'll be able to launch things from there in exactly the same way as you do with the Rift S.

2. Buy a high-quality USB3.0 USB-C (christ, USB nomenclature is awful) cable. They cost around $25 for a 10ft cable (which is shorter than you think it is and not a great choice for room-scale games involving moving about a lot). This will work the same way as the Oculus Link cable with a very slightly reduced video quality. I actually don't notice the difference in quality at all and am pretty sensitive to that kind of thing. The main drawback here is that once you start shopping for cables longer than 10 feet, they start to need active signal boosting, and get more expensive. High-quality cables also tend to be thick and stiff and can interfere with play, especially since they jut at right-angles right out of the side of the HMD. Oculus USB3 detection and support is spotty in my experience, and will sometimes only recognise the cable as USB2.0, which noticably downgrades the video quality, but this might only be an issue with my PC (it had similar problems with the Rift, so if you don't experience detection problems with your Rift S, you'll probably be fine). Depending on your physical setup this might be a cheap and excellent option.

3. Play wirelessly using Virtual Desktop. It costs about $15 on the Oculus Store, and to support playing SteamVR games you need to install a free official patch using Sidequest, the Quest homebrew store (this is completely easy to do). For the best experience, you'll also need a decent router, ideally 5GHz-capable, ideally but not necessarily used only to stream VR. You run a small streaming app on your PC and Virtual Desktop streams from there. VD supports SteamVR games and Oculus store games. It might even support the Oculus Home stuff, but I've never tried it as there's no reason to do so. It occasionally has some incompatibilities with some games but it's actively maintained and patches and workarounds happen quickly. Depending on your setup and distance from the router, there will be some latency - with a $70 5GHz router in the same room, I get latency of about 15ms, which is imperceptible to me when playing. Picture quality, for me, is not noticably different from using a wired connection or Rift S. (Just to be specifically clear about your question, patched Virtual Desktop fully supports VR-only games, not just regular flat Steam games).

For me, Virtual Desktop gives by far the best experience. Getting rid of the cable entirely makes the whole experience so much more accessible.

I upgraded from a Rift S to a Quest 2 and I'm very happy with it, but it's not a wildly different experience. Unless there's a specific thing you want to do that the Quest supports and the Rift doesn't, I don't suggest upgrading just for the sake of it. But on the other hand, if you're going to upgrade eventually anyway, the Rift S isn't gonna go up in resale value so you might want to hawk it now to get as much as you can towards the Quest price. I bought the Quest for £300 and sold the Rift for £220 so all in all it was a pretty affordable upgrade.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 13, 2020

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

rockinsaki posted:

I got to play something like that at epcot center abou 25 years ago, we had to walk into a ring and put on a headset. I feel like the remote control was loose, and you pushed a button to walk forward, and another to interact with dinosaur eggs or something like that?

I remember that thing! My first ever VR experience. I only vaguely remember it but yeah, you had to walk around and find big diamond-shaped low-poly dinosaur eggs. I remember chatting with my dad afterwards like "that's what videogames will all be like in the future"! Two decades later, but I was right. Dinosaur eggs everywhere.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

merk posted:

I am about to build a new PC and want to make sure it is VR ready. I cannot find a good guide anywhere that is helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

"VR ready" isn't really a useful classification, there's no extra steps that you have to take that you'd need a guide for. Any modern PC with a mid-range graphics card and the ports needed to connect your HMD is VR ready. What processor and graphics card are you looking at?

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

The Pistol Whip campaign update is a ton of fun. It's very short but very sweet. Reminds me of when one of the later Guitar Hero games used the whole first side of 2112 as one of its campaign levels. I'd love to see some more campaigns like that as DLC, explore a bunch of different genres.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

No, I mean if I look something near to me in VR like a rear view mirror or something in a car I am driving then the outside world behind it blurs, and I do not understand why.
P.S. I am incredibly dumb

Mostly the same reason it works that way in real space, except your distance focus doesn't really shift. The image going to each eye has a positional offset. When you look at the object close to you, your eyes move to centre the object, aligning each image of that object in your vision so that they overlap and look like one solid sharp image. When you do this, the objects in the distance no longer overlap because your eyes aren't positioned to align them. You perceive this as blur rather than a double image because your peripheral vision isn't as sharp and your brain has image processing stuff going on that fixes it for you.

For comparison, if you imagine that you were getting the same image delivered to both eyes, you would be able to look at any object and the surrounding image wouldn't change at all, and it would be like looking at a flat 2D screen.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. Virtual desktop can understand 3D game content for 3D tv’s?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, if you point the controller below the screen in Virtual Desktop and squeeze the trigger you can set different display modes for 3D content.

For me, 3D flatscreen content still somehow seems less impressive than it should in VR, but it's a lot of fun to download a 3DS emulator and play some handheld games in 3D on a cinema screen.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

If Hitman does come to PCVR I'd imagine it'll have at least some support for tracked hand controllers. Pretty sure the only reason they wouldn't have gone that route on PSVR is because the Move controllers aren't remotely up to the task.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Like you use the left controller purely as a nunchuck and the right controller is the only one that's a real hand you can shoot with. Would that be so bad?

I refuse to buy Hitman 3 unless I can use both controllers to realistically simulate the handles on my fiberwire, with a target's helpless, weakening efforts to breathe realistically conveyed via haptic feedback

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

uhh, so it turns out that EmuVR is literally the greatest thing ever??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jgbImrxIA

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Snail Information posted:

is there a way to play with just the game or does that tv look bigger in vr

Yeah, it looks much bigger in VR, the field of view in desktop mode is way wide. On a HMD you're sitting in front of a big-rear end 90s TV, and you've got freedom of position so you can basically just sit up close and make it as perceptually big as you like.

My favourite thing is that when you get *really* close, you can see the individual coloured CRT phosphors, which are fully and accurately simulated in the displayed image.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, XInput controllers are preconfigured for at least the most common systems. Anything that uses a standard controller layout is mapped as you'd expect.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you'd have to setup multiple modifiers for the scoring system for each % change/step.

yeah they should do that

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

EbolaIvory posted:

The only 'work around' that you could just toss in is a check box that enables a slider but disables score submitting.

yeah they should do that

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do you all know if there any plans to make playing Steam VR on the Quest less janky? I got it to work through the whole Oculus developer mode path, but it would be lovely if that was supported natively without all the loving around. Or is there no way Facebook will let you use their hardware easily with anything but what's on their official store?

What issues are you having? In the vast majority of cases you should be able to launch SteamVR and games from your PC while Oculus Home is open without having to futz with settings at all.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

DreadCthulhu posted:

Oh interesting, I was just following the instructions from this January from https://techwewant.com/how-to-play-half-life-alyx-on-oculus-quest-2-wireless-or-wired-61b7cc511c4d or other sites that have you sign up as a developer, register an org and all of that. Maybe that's no longer necessary now.

Ah, yeah, the dev stuff there is just to enable the Virtual Desktop PCVR patch, which is no longer required as it's available in the regular Quest store version, like explosivo said. It's never been required for wired play, though, SteamVR works natively through Oculus Link.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

i've played and tried to enjoy H3VR a bunch of times and i'm glad the developer is a lovely person i guess but it's really boring and there doesn't seem to be much of consequence to do or achieve in it in any of the modes, and the UI and controls are completely unintuitive and horrible? I'm sure the gun mechanics are incredibly detailed and lovingly modelled or whatever but unless they're implemented in an interesting or rewarding game experience I don't really care.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Wow, I wasn't expecting to enjoy Synth Riders so much more than Beat Saber, but I am. I love Beat Saber but the strict directionality of it puts me off at higher levels, where the amount of complex information you have to process and perform at high speed distracts me too much to actually enjoy the movement and music. I really like the way Synth Riders is immediately readable and intuitive even on more complex beatmaps, and the focus on position and flowing movement rather than 8-way directional swipes gives it a much more expressive dance feel.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Party Boat posted:

Quest 2 ordered! I already have a long USB to USB C cable that I use to connect my phone, as long as that's plugged into a USB 3.0 port I should be good, right?

Ehhh, maybe. Not all USB cables are created equal in terms of data rate and power transfer (a USB-C connector doesn't even guarantee it's a USB3.0 cable). You'll want a reasonably high-quality one for a good experience, so depending on the source you might be OK or you might not, you'll have to try it out and see.

Bear in mind also that "long" doesn't necessarily mean "long enough for comfortable VR tethering". Depending on your setup, I'd call 10ft an absolute minimum, and fully wired headsets tend to have lengths of around 15ft. High-quality USBA-to-USBC cables top out at around 10 feet before you want to start thinking about active signal boosting, and you can get 10-15ft extender cables that'll do that reasonably cheaply. My advice would be to try out the cable you have and see if it gives a decent experience, and if it does, get an active extender for it.

Depending on what you end up needing, here are some recommendations:

USB3.0 A-to-C cable: Anker Powerline 10ft - this is a common recommendation from both users and Oculus themselves.

I can't find a universally-recommended extender, but this is the one I have and it's worked fine for me: DeleyCON Active USB Extension Cable.

Together they'll give you 25-30 feet of solid performance, which is much more than you'll need but will allow you to route the cable around stuff for a better experience (I hang mine from a clothes rack so it doesn't hang around my lower body at all). It's also worth picking up a little 90-degree USB-C adapter for cable management purposes, if you don't want a big thick cable jutting right out of the side of your head all the time.

Or you could drop some of the £100 you saved from buying the 64GB quest on a dedicated 5GHz router and use Virtual Desktop for the full wireless PCVR experience. I have this one and it works great: Archer A7 AC1750.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 3, 2021

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

By default the Quest 2 is only set to utilise 150mbps of cable bandwidth, and even USB 2.0 is around 450 - 500mbps, I think? In any case, give the cable you have a go, don't worry about buying another one if there aren't any problems.

On reading up, this seems true, so maybe factor that in to any buying decisions, but even so the Link software will complain at you if you only use USB2, and when I tried it out using a USB2 cable I got noticably worse picture quality with much more visible compression. YMMV, I guess.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Party Boat posted:

I'm planning on picking up Beat Saber and Superhot VR after trying the demos, taking price out of the equation is there any reason to get them on Steam and use Virtual Desktop over running them directly on the Oculus?

They'll both look a bit better on a capable PC, but Superhot is pretty sparse graphically anyway and has no online stuff, so I'd advise getting that one at least on VR, if only because it's a great demo game if you ever want to take your Quest on the road and show it off to somebody else.

Beat Saber I'd definitely advise getting on Steam, just for the easy access to custom songs and mods. You can do customs on the Oculus APK version, but it's a pain and using unauthorised mods of store apps technically violates the Facebook TOS - I don't know if they'd ever ban people for it and I don't think they have as yet, but why risk it.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Hand-tracking works reasonably well for me but it's very lighting-dependent and not exactly pinpoint accurate. I use it for menu-based stuff like controlling playback when I'm watching video in VR but I haven't found any other real uses for it beyond the couple of glitchy tech demos on SideQuest.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

let's just respect zer0spunk's decision to take his guineas, shillings and farthings elsewhere.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

anton is a dorkity-rear end dumb nerd imo

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

roffels posted:

I used to play pinball competitively, and it's natural to lean onto the machine when playing. So of course the first time I played Zacarria Pinball VR, I tried leaning on the VR machine

I haven’t had a “lean on a virtual object” fall-over moment yet, but I had sort of the opposite in Boneworks where I was up high on a wall and realised I had to go back down to adjust something in the physics puzzle on the ground, so using my videogame instincts I decided to just jump down and do it. Turns out that the non-videogame aspects of my brain simply were not expecting me to suddenly walk off a ledge fifty feet in the air and I nearly went sprawling as my reflexes tried to deal with being in perceptual free-fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

wolrah posted:

Wait what!?!?!

*googles*

https://web.archive.org/web/2013062...-best-thing-eve

quote:

It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?
You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

:stare:

Later he also compares holding the controller to feeling his impending child kicking for the first time the previous day.

And this is all about the DualShock 4, a device that was a larger change than usual for Sony but still far from revolutionary.

i don't like the guy either & his take on VR devs obviously sucks, but y'all are taking dumb jokes too seriously