Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, I got the new Star Wars VR game, hated it, and refunded it.

I don't suppose there's a cool community project that's VR-ified the classic X-Wing and/or TIE fighter? Or anything in the Wing Commander series? Or Freespace? :(

e: to be clear, it ran flawlessly for me (apart from long load times). I just thought it was a poo poo game. The fighters all handle like pregnant yaks, not like the starfighters I remember, and I don't like the teeny weeny scope. And I hear the singleplayer is only like six hours long. And I don't want to play 5v5 dogfights. It's supposed to be a zillion disposable TIEs to a handful of durable *-Wings, damnit!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tip posted:

There's a vr mod for X-Wing Alliance:

https://youtu.be/cnUuERqFPqs

loving SOLD! Thank you!

Also I just remembered something daft about Squadrons: it did not bode well when I first pitched down on my joystick and the ship pulled up. That really tells you the attitude they were coming from when they made the game. No pun intended.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Stick forward on a joystick puts the nose down. That's called "airplane controls" for a reason. Especially if you're trying to harken back to classic space flight sims.

Huff my space shorts.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And that's an option. You can set it to do that. They probably focus tested the default control scheme for controllers to match the mass market.

Yeah, I know...

I am just being pissy that the game isn't aimed at ancient space sim players like me, because Those Games Are Better, Dammit, and I really wanted to play one in VR.

Ok. Unreasonable, salty whinge over.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Shine posted:

It is super annoying that SWSQ doesn't let you unbind "critical controls," so you have to do a dumb remap juggling game if you want to remap the basic UI buttons.
It let me. Once or twice it paused the game to show a pop up complaining that xyz critical thing wasn't mapped, but it let me dismiss it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Moss is my pick for all-around best VR game. Must-play, though it's short.

I loved Submautica in VR, but I never played it flat so idk.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend PAYDAY 2. The VR support just goes above and beyond the call of duty. Stealth is amazing and nail-biting - you physically hit the deck to crouch, to hide from passing guards. More than once I've dived behind a table.

Combat feels good. Squeeze to eject a magazine, grab a new one from your floating toolbelt and put it in place, to reload. Very satisfying.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 5, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

The controls were unplayable for me. I probably just needed to spend some time working through them to make it work.

Oh, it's not the same controls for both? It didn't support motion controls when I played, only gamepad.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Honestly, I was pretty let down at first that there were no motion controls in Subnautica, but you get used to it.

Foo Diddley posted:

What I couldn't take is just being in the goddamn ocean, with all this fuckin' ocean poo poo swimming around, just right there with nothing but water between you. I noped right the gently caress out like ten hours before you actually get to anything scary
Oh, I totally get it. I've had an actual freakout before irl, as a kid, on a boat, on a snorkeling trip. I dropped my snorkel, and watched it sink down down down down down to the bottom of the sea (probably only like ten metres) and, as you say, noped the gently caress out and stayed on the boat the rest of the trip.

There were heaps of moments in Subnautica that induced that kind of panic, but it was kind of cool to be able to tackle it head on, go "no, you've got this, just focus" and deal with it. I got it a lot while looking up at the surface, when I was deep underwater.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just been getting stuck into X-Wing Alliance with modernisation and VR mods, and it is EXACTLY what I wanted. It's a bit janky, but I'm ok with that because I'm thoroughly enjoying the gameplay. It really is a modernised X-Wing/TIE fighter.

Thanks for the tip, Tip!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

Are you playing the steam or gog version? I found some old comments that said mods didn't work on the steam version, is that still the case?

Steam. Works fine for me...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

I feel the titles of some VR games could improve. Example...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGf6nraXLIs
No-one...

...fights like Blaston!
Or delights like Blaston!
Noone's got neon lights on their tights like Blaston!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pierson posted:

Welp it finally happened; I got too into a game and whacked my whole-rear end Index controller against the desk. A pretty bad hit too, broke the joystick right out of the socket, wire and all. I've submitted a ticket, hopefully they're nice about repairs.

In the meantime what are some good controller-only VR games? :v:

Subnautica!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

So. What's the best VR set to upgrade to? I've got a Vive that's been great, but the time has come for better resolution/clarity. And the lenses not pinching the bridge of my nose when on lowest inter-pupil-distance would be nice, too.

I was thinking about getting an HP Reverb G2, but reviews say the controller tracking is poo poo, and that's essential for me since I'm mostly playing games with it.

So, I'm after tethered, highish-end visuals, good controller tracking, and I won't touch Occulus due to the Zucc germs. Though I'm betting that probably any current headset has better visuals than a Vive?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ROFLBOT posted:

Who is saying the G2 controller tracking is poo poo?

Im reading that apart from the same edge-case scenarios that the Rift S had on launch (and that were quickly fixed) its fine

Tom's Hardware. I didn't realise these things were fixable. Maybe I'll give it a little longer and see if it improves.

E:

KingKapalone posted:

In the Awful app? Where is that?
The menu button to the right of the thread title.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 18, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Come to think of it, that Tom's Hardware review also complained about a small field of vision on the G2, which is not something you can patch out.

Index it is, I guess.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hover posted:

Has anyone heard of the Game Development World Championship? They have a handful of VR games this round and apparently I'm repping Canada with Stacksquatch: https://thegdwc.com/

If you feel like supporting your local goon VR dev I would also really appreciate your vote <_< Polls close today! Also, I'm the only solo dev so it's a real underdog story.

And here's a picture of a bunch of cute cryptids to hide that this is thinly veiled self-promotion

Huh. I've never heard of this one, but a friend of mine worked on Ticket to Earth, which was apparently a winner a few years ago. Small world.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh what the gently caress?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/coh79n/how_to_purchase_the_valve_index_if_you_live_in/

:(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress Man posted:

Probably going to get an Quest 2 as a gift this Christmas and honestly I have never really looked into PCVR gaming. I plan on giving Star Wars Squadrons a try, but I'd love to get into to some RPGs like The Outer Worlds or Fallout 4 and even WoW if possible, although I have read that experiences with WoW in VR are not the best even though I haven't found much documentation on people playing in VR.

Playing/watching flat games and movies in VR is pretty much just like having a really big screen. It's nice. And watching movies is kind of nice in the sense of feeling like a cinema.

It pales in comparison to doing anything at all that's actually designed for VR, though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gort posted:

I couldn't imagine suggesting to a friend that we put on VR headsets and watch Netflix, or put my headset on to make some spreadsheets.

I've done exactly this a few times, and it was fine (and I've just got a Vive). So I guess YMMV.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey, has anyone here played Stormland with ReVive? I've just seen a review of it, and it looks like my kind of thing. While I have ReVive installed, I've never used it, and I'm kind of hesitant in case it doesn't work and I end up with a game I can't use. Am I worried about nothing? :ohdear:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tip posted:

You can return a game in the Oculus store if you have less than 2 hours of playtime and have owned it less than 2 weeks. So buy it, try it, and return it if you don't like the way it works with revive.

It's an awesome game, one of my all time favorites.

Goodo! Thanks!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just finished HL: Alyx. I enjoyed the combat, I really like the physicality of reloading quickly while under pressure. I found the puzzle solving maddening, though.

Any games that are just the combat part?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades is what you want, especially the Take and Hold mode. Boneworks might do the trick as well.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Also, I managed to completely miss that this thread was actually talking about Alyx anyway. Usually it seems to fill up with discussion about the hardware...

Did anyone else find Russel really loving irritating, instead of funny? Also, I was annoyed that the game wanted to model weapons realistically enough that racking the slide on the pistol while you already have a round chambered ejects the chambered round, but doesn't let you put that loose round back in the magazine. So you just waste ammo if you tactical reload and then rack the slide from muscle memory.

And, I mean, also the whole "no, you can't carry anything but ammunition and 3d printer pellets in your backpack. Don't be silly, why would you think you could do that?"

And it was also just plain gross in a few places. That really wasn't necessary, and was a departure from the HL series as a whole. And I'm sick to death of ugly bombed out buildings and sewers and factories and poo poo.

Oh well. Ok game over all, I really don't understand why all the reviews jizz their pants over it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pierson posted:

Is it playable on Index via Revive now? It looks gorgeous but the last time I bought it I had to refund due to insane stuttering.

I was nearly going to get it, but I don't want to pay FB any money.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

loving Christ, Paper Beasts is pretentious, babby's-first-vr-excursion garbage, and I'm actually angry I spent 15 minutes enduring it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, you haven't seen anything if you only have played 15 minutes.

Is there actually anything to do but admire the a m b i a n c e? So far, I sat through some Japanese pop song, unable to do anything except change the EQ by moving bits around, and couldn't even move myself until a monster handed me a gem. What's the actual gameplay? Is there any? So far it's just been, as I say, babby's-first-VR-excursion level stuff.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

There are few light puzzles, eventually. But it isn't the main drive of the game, it's more a passive game. But saying 'babby's first VR excursion' is hilarious. There are also artsy, non-very-interactive games in traditional videogames medium.

I see. For me, a "game" implies gameplay, as opposed to an interactive exhibit or digital novel or walking simulator or whatever other term. But I'll admit that there's a lot of people who don't see it that way, and also that I personally don't like these other non-vr non-game thingies either.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bop bop perano posted:

Yeah, there’s a ton of actually complex systems when you get to the actual ‘paper beasts’, but if you already hate it this much then you won’t make it far enough to get to the stuff that’s really impressive from a technical/game systems perspective.

Paper Beast rules, it’s one of my favorite VR games.

I'll give it another go, then.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bloodplay it again posted:

Maybe it didn't do this for you, but the game defaulted to the lowest settings and since it chucks you into the game from the get go, I hadn't bothered checking them until I'd almost beat the game. I recommend turning up the graphics settings if you have the hardware because some of the :catdrugs: look way crazier on (and while) high.

That makes sense too. It did look very underwhelming.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

forest spirit posted:

Yeah there's a really fun simulation systems in there, with the AI creatures you eventually meet and how they interact with the environment which you can manipulate with physics.

I'm just always blown away by games that simulate water and sand physics... knowing that it is essentially the spiritual sequel to From Dust is comforting

Also yeah, the game does get harder. I remember one mission involving leading the paper deer away from paper tigers....

Oh nice! I hadn't played it again yet because I wasn't really looking forward to just walking through an art exhibit - this sounds really good

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Has anyone tried https://immersed.com/ ? I think it looks kinda cool. I'm always wishing I had more screens and screen real estate. It only works on oculus, though :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

Not only RE4VR releases this week on Quest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRUtqw7_XVQ

I want this, only it's AR Rocksmith instead.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I found installing my lighthouses fairly painless. I even got some cable covers to head off my cats chewing on the power cables.

And it was nice to be able to reuse them when I bought my Index.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Payday 2 is still remarkably good in VR. Considering that it's a flat game that much later added VR support it's astonishingly well done.

And there's heaps of content since it's not only targeted at the teeny weeny VR market. And crossplay works great, (except for a tendency of people to have voice chat turned off).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Payday 2 is real good in VR I just wish that their engine wasn't so shittily optimized.

I can run Alyx on max settings with rock solid framerates but Payday 2 constantly triggers ASW which is very annoying.

Huh. I haven't noticed any problems myself

Edit: meanwhile, I've been spoilt by the control scheme of Payday 2, Compound and Alyx. I've just grabbed hot shoes hand dogs and horse grenades, and the controls make me want to pull my ears off in frustration. Though I think some of the custom schemes on the workshop are less aggravating.

It's still doing that thing that Zero Calibre also did, that I hated, where if I have my left hand loose by my side and push the stick forward it moves me backwards...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 24, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Walrus posted:

Sounds like you prefer head oriented movement. A lot of people do, specifically for things like ROR2 which are fast paced. But in my opinion, if you're able to negotiate the need to orient the stick differently as you move your hand, hand-oriented is better. Only way you can run one way and look/shoot another which for me is a bit part of what makes VR shooters more immersive/realistic

No, I definitely prefer controller-oriented, and that's what I'm used to. As I said, hand-by-my-side-pointing-down works fine in some games, and not fine in others. It just feels dumb when I'm not using my left hand to also have to angle it. In combat I usually have it up steadying my right hand, so that's not an issue, but just walking around I usually just have it by my side, relaxed.

My best guess is that different games have different ideas of where "up" is on the controller, and that for Payday 2/Compound/Alyx/gzdoomvr/SkyrimVR it's more correct, and for the games it doesn't work "up" is tilted more down.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Somebody probably already posted this but you can fix that in the options. H3VR has a ton of control options in general.

Do you happen to know which option? I spent a fair bit of time poring over them but couldn't work it out

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Controller forward/slide root is what it is called in H3VR, I think.

Basically, forward is determined by either the position of your controller or the direction you are looking. In almost every game, including Zero Caliber, you can change it from controller-based to head-based. In Jet Island, it makes sense because you are moving around with jets on your wrists, but nearly every other game gets the ol head-based toggle from me.

Like I said, I use controller-based everywhere, and it only breaks in Zero Caliber and here.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Controller-based movement confuses the hell out of me, so I can't offer any other relevant advice.

I think the main reason I switched to it is because looking around while moving forward feels more natural to me. In real life, if I turn my head to my left while walking forward it doesn't cause me to start also walking left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Argue posted:

There's no way for me to chat on a Discord voice channel while playing on my Quest 2, is there? Short of me being in the same room as my PC which is connected to it, I mean. I know how to stream it so my friends can watch me, but it kinda sucks that I can't chat back until I wrap up and head back to the computer.

Put it on your phone, on speakerphone?