Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I guess the HDMI part of the 3 in 1 cable for my regular VIVe is busted? Getting the HDCP error and the display in the headset flat out will not turn on at all. Tried the HDMI cable that connects the link box to the computer and it works fine.

Who knows how this happened. The cable seemed like it was pretty sturdy, and I don't recall ever tripping over it or yanking it or anything. It's still being tracked and if I turn on the HMD display on SteamVR the picture shows up fine on the monitor. One of those "Worked perfectly 12 hours ago, not anymore" things I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Boneworks is fun, finished the story today. Only thing I didn't love about it is the lack of a save system. Also, this is a me problem, but in the heat of the moment I keep trying to holster my weapon and end up just throwing it behind me- not realizing my gun is gone until I reach for it again and whip out an empty hand like a dope.

Also wish that when enemies died, their ragdolls stopped colliding with the player's body. Nothing like getting stuck on a fresh corpse trying to get some space between me and the other, living enemies.

Kinda wish you could rebind controls too; I'd love to replace the left hand's menu button with the slow motion button.

Also, is there not a way to adjust your hand's position on a melee weapon without letting go of it first? I see the gif on the store page showing off that as a feature - did that get removed?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Crisis VRigade is kind of fun. Extremely frustrating at first but eventually you get a feel for it. It's a blast if you somehow manage to match with one or two other people.

..Mission 3 is still bullshit though, like, right at the very beginning.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

This game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/939000/Crisis_VRigade/

Kicked my rear end the other night. Its day 2 and im still sore. Hecking fun though. Feels like time crisis, but instead of pushing a pedal to duck, the game forces your rear end behind things.

Crisis VRigade is fun once you get used to it, but man is it brutal one player. With one or two other players and therefore other things for the enemies to shoot at it drops from loving bullshit to actually kind of possible! It's definitely inspired by Time Crisis 1 in that you do NOT get any warning if a bullet is going to hit you.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I was playing it single player during my viveport night and felt like if i had a bud or whatever it would be a loving riot. Even the early levels are straight up brutal solo. Being pinned down behind a god drat chair with poo poo shooting at you from 9 directions ahhhhhhhhhh

Go online and select random room, and you'll likely be matched with someone after a few minutes at most. Otherwise, while you wait is a good time to sit down and recover. I'm actually doing that right now, haha.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

Weird, I clicked "Order" to see what the stock would look like and now it just says "Ordered" with no confirmation. Does that I mean have Half-Life Alyx? How can I confirm? It didn't charge me and nothing shows in my purchase history.

I'm thinking it works like back when the index controllers were available for reservation. Clicking Order locks in your reservation and once they become available and you officially confirm your order you'll get Alyx then?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Ardryn posted:

Mine went to "Shipping Soon" about an hour ago.

VALVe time

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Well this sucks.

This is me pushing the thumbstick all the way forward. It doesn't register as being tilted all the way forward unless I push really hard.

Conversely, me tilting the same stick down and then letting it return to the neutral position. It thinks I have the stick held tilted downward.

Hopefully this doesn't necessarily make Alyx unplayable. I kind of doubt that if I RMA this thing that I'll get it back before the end of the year so I'm gonna just kinda bear it.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Whew, liking Alyx so far. The thumbstick thing doesn't mess it up too horribly since you can do teleporting at the same time.

I did go ahead and open a support ticket inquiring about an RMA for the left controller, though. Hopefully I get a response. We'll see!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Ironlights is pretty fun. I especially like knight mirror matches.

The KO effect is neat too.

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 10, 2020

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

I read something about players having to go in turns for attack and defend, which sounded weird as hell. Can you explain how it works?

Yeah, absolutely. Here's the tutorial for the knight.

So, turn-based is only half right, really. The way it works is that you initiate an attack with a button hold and a gesture. While you're attacking, you and the opponent enter slow-motion, and your blue energy meter drains. You have until you are out of energy to try to inflict damage to the opponent while they try to guard/dodge. You can also decide to pull back by doing another gesture, to save energy.

You can charge up energy faster with a button combination, but it makes you more vulnerable to damage, indicated by your health bar partially changing color. At first I thought getting hit after would mean losing all of that health but you just take more damage from hits in general while that part of your health is "used up", so to speak. You can only charge up with what health you have.

Upon connecting with the enemy/enemy's weapon, your weapon "breaks" and has to be "reloaded" by moving it behind you, basically acting like you're rearing back for another swing. If you check out the sides of the screen there it does flash subtly to tell you that your weapon has moved enough to become ready again. The Knight's claymore has two segments to offset how slow and heavy it is, so it's not just easily parried by, say, the Duelist's rapier.

Also, The monk is basically darth maul and I love it

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2020

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

I can't believe I haven't broken anything playing this yet.

My VR legs also developed somewhat quickly for smooth locomotion, but the instant I get into a situation where something is moving me, like a vehicle or an elevator, that really screws me up. I tried to play Thief Sim VR and it worked fine...until I got in the car and had to drive it. :negative:

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 13, 2020

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

By any chance is there a way to reset the thumbstick angle calibration? my left thumbstick got set at .7 degrees which admittedly isn't much, but since I got a replacement controller I'd like to set it back to 0 degrees if possible.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

SirViver posted:

Don't know if there's a way using the UI, but you can always edit the steamvr.vrsettings file in your Steam install dir, e.g. [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings]

In there you'll find an entry like this, which you can just edit back to 0:
pre:
   "input" : {
      "leftThumbstickRotation_knuckles" : 16.374147415161133,
      "rightThumbstickRotation_knuckles" : -4.9933714866638184,
      "thumbstickDeadzone_knuckles" : 0
   },

Aha, that did the trick. Thanks!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Crisis VRigade is fun but extremely brutal because unlike Time Crisis you get no indication that any given bullet is actually going to hit you. I guess the dev only really liked the first Time Crisis.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

New ones out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066180/Crisis_VRigade_2/

Im gonna play it tomorrow after some beat saber.

Hoping its a bit more toned down. The first was REALLY tuned for co-op IMO. Heres to hoping the new one gets MP at some point.

Yeah co-op is where VRigade 1 was actually fun and not miserable. Turns out having even one other person to get shot at evens things out a lot!!

I'm not a fan of the style of VRigade 2 though, it looks more generic than VRigade 1 did. Though, it IS getting good reviews..hm..a shame there's no co-op yet.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

So out of curiosity is Saints and Sinners going to get pissy at me if I start getting fed up with trying to sneak past these stupid human factions to get at the intel caches and just start shooting back? Seriously, it started out so neat and now it's beginning to just get tedious dealing with the humans. I'm on the second intel cache in the shallows, in the blue mansion, and I'm about to just start shooting explosive arrows at everyone since it seems impossible to properly distract them otherwise

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

None of the faction stuff matters, kill them all They may have patched it since but last time I played the AI acted like an aim-assist hacker and would shoot you through stuff :mad:

That's really good to know, since the human AI is probably the least interesting part of the game. Gotta admit that now that I've visited all the areas once it's kind of starting to lose it's charm a bit.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

So far on the game festival VR page, https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamgamefestival?tab=12

My favorite so far has been Traffic Jams.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1301930/Traffic_Jams/

Ragna-Rock is really good too
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1345820/Ragnarck/

But Whew man the one song in the demo is five minutes long and the chart is pretty intense even on easy. Still really cool.

I wanted to like All Hail the Cook o tron
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361490/All_Hail_The_Cookotron/
but it felt like it was just frustrating to play. I kept dropping stuff, sometimes things don't "stick" to the plate and you get the order "wrong" even though the ingredient was on the plate, dumping fries out of the basket is harder than it needs to be, cutting ingredients sometimes causes the cut part to just go flying, etc. Keeping that one on the wishlist all the same though.

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 11, 2020

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

I feel like I just skipped something in Vertigo Remastered, about an hour or so in.
I extended the walkway to the surface elevator, got caught by that giant gold robot, and when he dropped me I managed to teleport back to the walkway in mid fall. He then just de-spawned abruptly.

Also

God drat it I spent so much fuckin' time going in circles in that vent area because I didn't realise I could break that glass with the little shock baton :psyduck:

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

Here's how that section went for me:

hit the last switch to finish extending. Big dude popped up, and threw me down into the water. Climb back up and he's gone. Hit the center button and the elevator begins moving. If you managed to break the script you can reload an earlier checkpoint of course. He does disappear until you climb back up and hit the button, though, so maybe just hitting the button will progress everything further without loading an older checkpoint.

That would explain him despawning, so there wasn't a fight or something. I just walked up to the button and hit it and it kept going fine haha.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Synonymous posted:

The shock baton always feels a bit weird and floaty to me for some reason. I don't think I've had any item feel so nonphysical in any other games I've been mucking around in and I can't figure out why.

Oh it's very weird. I found out that you can't reflect shots with it if you're swinging it - it HAS to be completely still.

Also yeah the tentacle boss was very annoying, even if I didn't die to it. It felt like my hitbox extended above my head a little for some of those bullets so I felt like I had to hold the baton way above my head

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Holy poo poo Project Wingman owns so hard in VR. The missions are kinda long and the no checkpoints thing is ehhh but God drat this is mostly what I wanted in a vr flight combat game. This mission in particular whipped rear end, I can't wait for the obligatory tunnel run, though it's given me ample opportunities for optional ones already!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

So this has been going on this week:

https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

The next run coming up in just a few is going to be a beat saber Expert+ showcase, so that might be cool.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

Seems like a missed opportunity, if they're just going to showcase one VR game they should have done a superhot speedrun, those are actually kind of nuts and would be more fun to watch the person flail around doing.

Back in last years Summer event, there was a speedrun of HL: Alyx

And it's exactly as insane as that sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCMGHkR5x0

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

8one6 posted:

Holy poo poo 31 minutes?!?

One of my favorite parts is the "hatch skip" about eight minutes in.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Only issue with emuvr so far, which might actually be simple to fix, is I can't seem to get games that use both the controller and the zapper to work properly, it seems to be one or the other when it comes to light gun.

For example, Konami's Lone Ranger on NES. Most of it is played using the NES controller, but there are several first person segments that use the zapper AND the controller, zapper to shoot and controller to change your faced direction.

I tinkered around with it last night and it does seem like the default keyboard controls still work so I can technically play it a little if I scoot up to my desk and clumsily use my keyboard, but my efforts to rebind them to the controller resulted in the light gun not working when I pulled the trigger.

Despite this, it is fuckin' buck wild getting to play poo poo like Hogan's Alley again, holy poo poo.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know about NES, but using a bluetooth gamepad, works just fine with house of the dead 2 on dreamcast, where you need to do the menuing with the controller. I don't know that you can do the motion controllers as the gamepad and the lightgun though, you might need to just use a separate gamepad.

I actually figured out a sort of workaround - since the default keyboard controls seem to be hard-coded or something, I just used Joytokey to make it think I was pressing keys when using my controller, that seems to do the trick.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

I know this isn't really a fair comparison but I'm a little torn between getting either Into the Radius VR or trying Tales of Glory.

On one hand, I like the idea of STALKER in VR, on the other, I also really like the idea of Mount and Blade in VR.
I know both games have their jank.

I've also tried the demo for Tales of Glory and it...felt kinda unpolished as Hell? But like, another part of me is thinking that the demo must be a very old version of it and maybe the full game is improved?

Like these two games can't really be any more different in setting and tone and all that, but I'm curious if either one has any super glaring flaws that might inform a decision here?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Leal posted:

I haven't heard of tales of glory until now and holy poo poo I really want this. I do have Into the Radius but I stopped right after doing the tutorial cause I was updating my vr stuff, should get back into it

Yeah, it LOOKS really cool but the demo is kinda..ehh and unpolished? At the same time I'm not so certain that it's indicative of the whole game though.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

LLSix posted:

There's a couple of VR demos for the steam advance demo event. The event is currently running and ends the 9th. What were goon thoughts on Sword Reverie? I feel like I may be inclined to give it a pass just because there's nothing else like it avialable.

It has some OK ideas, like the gestures to do a special move, but everything else? Ehhhhh........It's really rough.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Buccaneers is basically Sid Meier's Pirates with a VR mode and it rules. Unfortunately the developers don't have an Index to test with, so the game assumes you're using Touch controllers which caused some issues with hand placement. Fortunately, as you can read in that thread, they very soon added an adjustment option so you can correct it!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm also making a VR Pirate shooter if you're interested :) (And I'm developing on an Index)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZ2VKg4zb8

Spent today resolving a bunch of bugs and improving the handling on a lot of things, especially the AI.

I'm hoping to push a new demo this weekend including this new pirate sniper level.

Its definitely the best level I've made yet, with allied AI fighting enemy AI, but also there's AI on the ramparts which will man the cannons and shoot at the player if left alone.
So you have to balance which is the greater priority. Do you dodge the cannonballs and save your pirate friends? Or do you prioritize your own safety?

Filling the level with as many little secret interactables as I can come up with; like a shark caught on a line you can shoot to free for points.

Ah, finally! A successor to the legendary PIEASS!

Seriously though. Looking great!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

explosivo posted:

How's Crisis Vrigade (ugh that name) and it's sequel? I just picked up the first one to see if it'll be a fun co-op game, we recently talked about playing actual Time Crisis in VR but this looks better.

The first Crisis VRigade was....fine. Pointlessly difficult and frustrating though, and the dev had the very unfortunate "Git Gud" mindset when it came to addressing feedback about it. Was pretty fun when I could match into a 4 play co-op game though.

VRigade 2 is a lot better balanced just for the sake of letting you continue on the spot. I'd honestly kinda recommend VRigade 2, they do seem to have taken the first game's criticisms to heart and actually, properly addressed them.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Knockout League is almost literally VR Punchout.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

The best way to climb stuff in Boneworks, if I remember right, is to push down so you pull yourself up, then tilt the stick down so you "crouch", then physically lean forward a little so your guy's legs end up on top of what you're trying to climb. This works on ladders, too.

Just...try not to fall over. Hasn't happened to me yet, though.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there any assymetric multiplayer games where like the vr player is playing a different game from the desktop players? I know about Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, but it’s such a cool design space, though I get it’s probably way too niche.

There's also Carly and the Reaperman, which is a co-op platformer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/547480/Carly_and_the_Reaperman__Escape_from_the_Underworld/

has a demo, too.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It looks like there was just a large Tales of Glory update released with procedural dungeons and new combat. Can anyone in this thread who owns it give a trip report? I've had it in my wishlist for a while now.

Tales of Glory is OK. The combat's no Blade & Sorcery but it works. The concept of VR Mount and Blade is there but it's very vanilla and a bit more structured; you kind of have a goal of sorts, I think!? Not much is very well communicated to you.

The game's writing is fairly juvenile, with "funny" discord quotes on loading screens. During some of the single-missions you can get, like sneaking through a camp or something, some anachronistic voice clips that I'm sure the dev finds utterly hysterical play (Such as a California stoner dude sounding voice saying "Wait, wait, wait.....there's GOOD cholesterol??" Every, five, seconds...), so if stuff like that turns you off, it might be a pass.

I don't think it's bad or anything, but there are some rough spots, for sure.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

VegasGoat posted:

As for VR relevant content, I'm really into Synth Riders lately. Can anyone recommend some good custom songs that aren't super hard? Seems most of the ones I download only have expert/master.
"Friend like me Electro Swing remix" is my jam, not too long and a fun dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Have a look at this, guys.

I have no idea when or how this happened, but the trigger on my right Index controller seems to have broken "loose" or cracked or something? Whatever happened, the trigger sometimes gets stuck when I pull it.

Is this normal wear and tear? I HAVE had these things for a couple years, now...Guess I've been holding it too tight or something. After all,

the...panel? thing? on the back of both controllers has ended up coming sort of loose and I've been having to apply electrical tape to make sure it doesn't loosen more...