Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm going to say ~2-3 hour experience, and some arcade shooting range or something mode in it too for replay ability. Some kind of 'gravity gloves' to explain away being able to pick up stuff from a distance, teleport locomotion movement through some aperture portal mini device thing. Physics puzzles that involve picking up and stacking things, no complicated weapon mechanics like h3vr/onward, etc, climbing featured.

‘Flagship VR game’ kinda suggests a bigger campaign than that I reckon. Guess we’ll see.

(For all we know right now we just play the lifecycle of a face crab...)

Still, I for one am excite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thoatse posted:

Has anyone played Vector36? It's on sale right now and looks like fun..

It wasn’t quite for me, but trying to like it was distracting...

Think you’ve got to really like vehicle tuning and physics tinkering to get the best out of it:

quote:

I knew this sim was going to have a heavy learning curve. That's why I held off buying it. And dear lord have I slammed belly first into its perpendicular planes.

I'm still kinda liking it, but it's the type of liking that requires concerted sweaty effort to gain the fleeting refreshing breezes of success. As you approach the next giant wall at speed...

A good example would be that time I bought some cooling fins:

I could afford them. They were flimsier but way better. I used the pod-building garage to slap them in the only slots they'd fit, way back on its spine. I flew my ship. It could boost for ages! While spinning in lazy concentric circles...

And this is all good. I should have noticed those fins were much longer, and that they dangled well over the back of the ship. I started to notice. I tilted them into new and pleasing shapes...

I raced. I raced better. In that I no-longer flew only in circles. I had essentially destroyed the handling of my ship with my new toys, making it oversteer like a bastard, but eager boosting was keeping me just about on track. Until my boost over-heated, and I realised my ship preferred to fly down at a 30 degree angle when not encouraged onwards by rocket fuel...

Back to the drawing board. Where I moved some more weight to the centre. Adjusted the back jet for more lift. Got it to shudder with something closer to very-noisy-grace over the surface of Mars. Hit a pillar at high speed. Lost all my money...

As someone with an instinctive ability to 'detune' cars when given the opportunity, I knew all of this would happen. Essentially I've managed to make my pimped-out starter chariot a fair bit worse than the starter build. But I think I know where I went wrong. And I'm still game to try more...

It's just I suspect, long-term, it's not going to be quite my game. And I only chose to jet up this hill because more ditzy options weren't available

quote:

Started from scratch, stuck some stubby, sturdy heat sinks next to the existing ones, and now I can boost for ages without barrel-rolling madly. I still plummet like a giant iron duck whenever the boost finally maxes out, but I can use the emergency cushioning jets and still brute-force myself back into the game.

It's not graceful, but it's working...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 25, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Suburban Dad posted:

Are there any good bow or archery type games you guys can recommend? I played the minigame in The Lab and it was pretty great but short. My shoulder was dying after a few minutes of holding the bow up and I obviously need more pain. I don't really want to play skyrim again as an archer, FYI.

Sacralith is pretty sweet for a simple concept. You teleport to vantage points to keep your tanky NPC companions safe against swarms of grunts and magical beasts as they fight through the levels. There’s a decent unlock tree of magical arrows, and things ramp up a fair bit, so you’ll need them on top of headshots to get through. (The swamp arrow is a bit OP though).

It feels like they ran out of cash and just tapped out, so the story is awful, and the skill tree only fully accessible on replays. But the graphics are snazzy, the opening song utterly bizarre, and you get to ride an elephant...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The elephant bit is actually the worst level. (Many elephants will die, and it is all your fault. Also their ears seem to be arrow magnets). I still love that they did it though.

The opening song is the best eccentric touch. 3 dubious Crusaders appear out of the dark and regale you with a chirpy, stilted, story song. (You realise later that the game put a tambourine in your hand, and the weird off-beat rhythm was you all along...)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Chekans 3 16 posted:

What good VR puzzle/adventure games are out there? Looking at Myst and the Room currently. Anything else stand out?

The Under Presents - It's like two games, a 'murder mystery / rewind time' story puzzle in a bottle, surrounded by a communal online puzzle that you figure out through mime and observation with others. It's pretty class.

Paper Beast - Figure out the abilities of digital paper beasts to sculpt a desert landscape and progress. Expect Japanese punk and weird ethereal calm. Very French.

The Talos Principle - loads of bang for your buck here. Good if you like arguing with computers too.

A Fisherman's Tale - Super short, pretty easy, but plays really fun little games with scale.

Runes: The Forgotten Path - just an odd indie thing that's part hokey story with some wave shooting, but mainly 'escape the room' magic puzzling

XING - Is just pretty drat chill, if a bit slow on the walking speed. Flip environmental states to help you slide giant Aztec blocks about and such. Pure puzzler. Annoying rhyming couplets.

Interkosmos - Ignore the repeating cold war parody and figure out how your moon module works. With a hammer. Before it crashes. (Better with the hints turned off).

Downward Spiral: Horus Station - The puzzles are kind of easy, but it's got some good 'repair the giant 1980s space station' vibe. Like a budget Lone Echo, with guns.

Yupitergrad - Swing around like spiderman, avoiding the spinning blades of the very friendly space station

Lockback posted:

I quite liked "I Expect you to die". It's on the shorter side with a cartoony ascetic, but the gameplay is tight and it does a great job of just being about wrestling puzzles.

That brassy Bond intro is ace too, with all the Saul Bass graphics unfolding and lancing around you

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

KakerMix posted:

Can we get a link?

That’ll be LukeRoss by the sound of it:

https://www.patreon.com/realvr

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Looks like the Deep Rock Galactic mod is coming along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjrukOjo6Ks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ofElEUsW4

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 22, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Leathal posted:

Is that Crytek Robinson game any good?

Saw it’s only 5 bux on Steam but the reviews sound like there’s some serious technical issues. Lots of complaints about controls not working etc. On the other hand, dinosaurs in VR.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/579820/Robinson_The_Journey/

It's dated pretty badly in some ways (slow movement with head steering only, the climbing can sketch out, moving physics objects is hilariously bad)

And it's a bit of slow paced theme park over all. But there's some quality in there ultimately. If you can get through the boring intro (and annoying friendly companion) to the dinos in the tar pits and beyond, there's definitely some dino heaven there. Scrambling up the rainforest trees was good too. And getting hassled by a pterodactyl at one perilous point

Looks drat pretty too if you sort the supersampling out. I'd say $5 is worth it for staring a diplodocus right in the nostril.

Just don't expect proper horror staples or anything. They kind of suggest it with the raptors, but pull back from any gore or hardcore challenge pretty quick

e: oh I should say I played on a Rift CV1 a while back, and it was fine. Bit of a performance hog maybe, but no big issues. Don't know how it plays on other systems.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 28, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone played Deisim? How is it?

I read it will increase price soon.

Haven’t played for a long while, but it’s core hook seems to be the super chill way you 'plant' biomes by flinging them down. Like you’re scattering a biome seed onto your chosen square. It’s very relaxing to build out the map like that. (And fun to fling the odd heretic off the map too).

It never seemed super deep, or challenging, whenever I dropped back in. Make sure there’s food, flick away incursions, perform the odd appropriate curing (or smiting) miracle. More like god as gardener than anything.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Turin Turambar posted:

In any case it seems things are really going to change in the next update, where cities can splinter into kingdom and they can fight each other.

Yeah it definitely needs that competitive element. A reason to use those offensive miracles dammit!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

marumaru posted:

i still can't see any real money being invested into VR, much less a AAA VR game
walking dead and alyx are still the only real AAA-ish games in VR, aren't they?

There are a few others. Lone Echo and Asguard’s Wrath probably sneak in there as AAA.

Ubisoft have AC & Splinter Cell VR titles on the way, as part of some Oculus deal by the sound of it, and describe this third mystery title as AAA

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1480298363329335296

Valve claim they’ve got more big things brewing, but on Valve time obviously

Guess we’ll see what they’re like. It’s not charging towards a AAA world, but the big players from the early days are still playing at least. It’s all just weighted more towards a Quest 2 / 'console VR' world right now probably

There’s bonus movement with things like the Hitman series porting over. (And in the meantime the modding scene is going full bore at converting games, although more indie titles for full blown motion controller support and that. But it might turn a few heads if that gives old games a noticeable spike in sales)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ROFLBOT posted:

Man i had such high hopes for CP2077 in VR and yes it really does make you feel like you’re “there” but despite having an i7 3080 (full-fat) laptop i can’t for the life of me get more than about 50fps and the inevitable nausea that brings

Trying to finish the game in pancake is going to be hugely anticlimactic :(

I put all the graphics settings in the basement and I'm averaging 60fps+ on a 1080 that way. Just kept the AA but dumped the pop density down to medium. If you don't mind losing all the fancy face shadows and having the odd crayon texture it's still been pretty great. But YMMV obvs on that front.

Have you tried the new auto aspect ratio option he added? Gets you the exact one for your headset. Saw some extra gains there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Anyone here try the Valheim VR mod? If so, how is it?

I liked it a lot. Most of the core stuff works really well and you're right in that world. They've laid on a pretty insane degree of customisation and control. It's a bit of a shame there's no controller-relative option, and some stuff like the spear throwing never felt great to me (even though they offer like 3 different throwing techniques and loads of further options). But it feels kind of churlish to even mention that to be honest. It's great, go for it.