Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey folks!

I'm wondering if there's been any rumors or details about the next generation of headsets yet? I had an Oculus CV1 and all the competitors seemed to be a "Comfort, clarity, usability: pick 2" type of situation. I was hoping that there would be a manufacturer who combines the optics of a Reverb or Index with the usability of the Oculus/Meta products. But when I scour uploadvr and some other site, there doesn't seem to be that much progress going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hell yea

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

4 years ago??? Jesus gently caress

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ephori posted:

Welp.

4K resolution and can run at 90 or 120Hz, have a 110-degree field of view, and use foveated rendering. :stare: I guess foveated rendering is kind of a requirement for this to be viable with the PS5.

The most important question: how do I hook this up to my pc

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Are pancakce lenses preferrable?

The "new Oculus" photgraphs that were going around show a very thin design. It looked more like Cyberpunk shaped. It also didn't have a head-set like, secure mounting mechanism. Am I right that it's not meant to be gamed on?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah I was reading / seeing news about the Pico 4 recently. The YouTube reviewers seem pretty excited and it seems to be priced competitively. The only downside known a priori is that it won't (trivially) load Oculus games.

Truth be told I'm biased for the Pico 4 already because it's a Europe-first-release which makes me feel special and pampered.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I googled a bit and the Pico 4 should start shipping on October 18th. If it turns out to work nicely for MSFS, DCS, and other sims that require a fair bit of visual detail, I'm going to be really tempted.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

New headset when

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I take it that new Quest pro is a stinker vor gaming. And my boss won't let me order it has a monitor for home office I suppose, either.

There won't be a consumer headset coming from Meta, or will there?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I guess my 2023 purchase will be the Pico then

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bondematt posted:

I'd assume some of this will trickle down to the Quest 3 In a year or two.

In a vacuum it's not a stinker, but the cost for what it is is too high compared to a $400 Q2.

akadajet posted:

idk... maybe if the software is good and it comes to the US. on paper it does just about everything I care about with the quest pro but better.

I guess I am also a little smug about the fact that once in a blue moon, there is a product that releases in EU before it does in the US. Surely it'll be only a matter of time though. The Pico seems to do everything I want a headset to do -- much nicer optics than the CV1 I had, can be used for PCVR and standalone, lightweight, can be connected to PC wirelessly. And it's pretty! Only downside seems to be that if you want to connect a headset, you need some sort of USB adapter.

For the Quest - the price tag is in line with what people had expected imo. And yes sure, it's tailored to Enterprise needs. But I guess many people and I didn't expect that a focus on Enterprise would prevent it from also being a viable option for leisure. Like, 1-2 hours battery life? Same old display? That benefits no one.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TBQH if the headset worked out-of-the-box without installing any software (like a monitor), I might even consider saving up for it. I know from experience that being in VR helps me to shut out distractions when I want to get work done. So it might actually improve my work life. Unfortunately our work laptops are 100% IT-managed so we can't install anything on there.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I kinda like the idea of VR meetings. For me, being physically close and being able to demonstrate things with your hands, write on a whiteboard and such are really important when you meet as a project group. That being said it's incredibly dorky and won't work for 75% of people so I don't have high hopes for that.

On the other hand, being able to surround yourself with 5 big monitors and shutting out all distractions, that would help. Again with the problem that it wouldn't be for everyone - to start with, lots of people don't want to shut out the outside world, or can't even properly type blind.

So I hope that something good comes out of this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Please clear something up for me. I really like the Pico 4, but here MRTV shows that when you plug it into the computer via cable, performance goes up, but image quality suffers. Additionally, the cable doesn't provide enough charge to charge the device. Is that an outlier or expected behaviour? Because that is a significant impediment for me.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ah, that makes sense. He starts at 12:35, and comments that the device gets some power through USB-C, but "not enough to charge the device and play forever" (12:55). I took that comment to mean that the battery would drain even when cabled. If you put the cable in and the battery still runs out after a few hours, that might be a problem for me. If it just doesn't increase the battery level that's completely fine for me.

I guess I'll keep on the lookout for more in-depth reviews by simmers; the headset comes out on the 18th, so there should be plenty information soon.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Pico is out for sale now :gizz: pushing f5 on YouTube for more reviews

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

https://www.roadtovr.com/pico-4-pro-enterprise-eye-tracking-face/

Says that the Pico 4 gets a competitively priced business variant, featuring eye and face tracking, releasing later this year, including US

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I bought a pico4 ama. Coming up from the cv1 it's pretty great, can still see the pixels if you look for them but much less pronounced. Not much software but we've enjoyed the free web apps (moonrider etc) and airlink has been pretty great with the built in app and vr desktop. With a little effort got beat saber playable across the other side of the house over WiFi while casting to TV. That chews up the battery but don't know how that compares to the quests.

Does it work well with cable?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm actually shocked people on THIS FORUM wouldn't know that.

Random lady? Yeah sure, whatever. But goon nerds in a VR thread?

Blows me away.

I didn't know that until I got deep into mechanical keyboards for a while. I and basically all my need friends learnt to touch type (and fast) through gaming and posting on the web. None of us sent to some touch typing class after school or something where they would explain that

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God gave you the numpad for a reason you savage.

Not if he's playing on his 4000$ 40% keyboard

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

repiv posted:

yeah it's hard to see there being a robust pc driver any time soon if the headset just streams the raw IMU/camera data over USB and leaves the host to do all the heavy lifting

in the outside chance that PSVR2 has an onboard processor which handles the tracking then it would be easier, but i doubt that's how it works

inshallah

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's the deal with the Pico and VD? IsnVD not available on there?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'd like to see the "hours played" number for skyrim.

I have a feeling a lot of people got suckered in by the name on that one.

Couple of hundred hours for me, but that might just be me :shrug:

I did use a really good mod list though, that I spent an evening or two to get ironed out on my end. Changed quite a bit of the game. I can't recall the name of it, but the most important mod was one that gave you basically an alternative magic system alongside the existing one. In this new system, you were drawing power from elements (think ground = fire, living beings = electricity, dead things = ice). You could then use that power to shoot around magic, or create stacking/combo effects like big finisher explosions, or stopping time. The mod was even made with VR in mind IIRC. Pretty neat.

Surprisingly, I had no problems with stability or big glitches, or at least not compared to what I expect in a Bethesda game.

Personally I prefer FO4VR in terms of interactivity (picking up objects, lots of ranged encounters), but Skyrim feels kinda more lively in VR.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 4, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So, 2022 was a very hard year on me and as a result I ordered the Pico 4. It arrives at the store tomorrow morning and the clerk said that it should go well with the free games. Said when I download the app, it should still get me the free games, but no promises. Oh well. I was thinking back and forth about it for so long that I might have missed the chance for the free games, but it is what it is.

Anyhow, I want to connect the Pico to the PC. Last I heard about it, it was recommended to get a Y-adapter to split the USB cable into audio and video. Is that still the case? Or has a better practice emerged?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

njsykora posted:

Just use a single decent cable, I’ve never heard this Y-splitter thing.

Maybe I'm explaining myself wrong, but I mean something like this to get 3.5mm audio, because otherwise I wouldn't know how to properly connect good audio:

Standalone is fine for the first couple of days, but ultimately I want to do PC-VR again. My understanding is that wireless is preferrably for Pico 4 atm but I doubt that'll work in my house, so I'll figure out something.

quote:

Also don’t worry about the free games, you just need to register the device which just means logging in with a Pico account. The phone thing is more about just making setup easier than a free game thing because then you’ll already have your details sorted and can just put in your email and password and get going immediately. And by get going I mean download a big system update as is new console tradition.

Thank you. I downloaded the Pico app onto my phone and made an account. What I'm worried about is that the marketing campaign goes until 6/1, which is today. But I won't have the headset in my hand until 7/1 and the shop said it'll probably alright with redeeming the free stuff until 10/1, but that's a bit sketchy. I would like to try one or two games on the list, but I'm not going to pay full price for them.

e: nevermind, I must have misread -- when I read Pico articles and news items now, it says 10 january, not 6 january. I'm going to be a happy little boy tomorrow.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I mean I have a pair of pretty good set of Sony wh-1000xm3 in-ears that I could probably pair up with the pico. I've never gamed with bluetooth audio; I might be prejudiced against it because everything bluetooth I've ever had has like a (perceived) 1 second lag in it. I'll give it a shot though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah exactly that is the problem with the Pico 4 - no headphone jack. Hence why I'm asking how to best get that signal out of the USB port. Sorry for not being clear about this.

At my desk I'm using a Sennheiser Urbanite XL with detachable cable. If the bluetooth headphones don't work out on the Pico, I'll probably buy or make a second, very short cable to connect the Urbanites. That should fit into one of these "USB-C to USB-C + headphone jack" adapters. Reviews tell me that the extra weight by these adapters is not noticeable, so I'm guessing it'll be fine.

(And in any case as you suggest if I'm doing PCVR it may be possible to use my computer's headphone-out as a temporary stopgap)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Picked up the Pico 4 this morning. Very happy with the headset. For reference, I come from Oculus DK2 and CV1, which I sold off about a year ago.

The headset itself feels incredibly refined, fits nicely. Speakers are better than feared. Obviously no bass or sound isolation, but they do blast what little they have directly into your ears and provide a good soundscape for what they are. Controllers feel not as good as the Oculus ones, but perfectly fine.

The software side is very interesting and much better than I would have expected.

On the one hand you notice that the Pico is essentially a smartphone: it runs a version of Chrome and you can't minimize it because Android doesn't do windows like Windows does. And I managed to get the settings menu stuck in one of the 'advanced' pages, which furthermore didn't have the Pico OS layout but the original android layout. There is a very barebones file explorer with the android directory tree in it.

But aside from its obvious mobile heritage, the software is flawless. It is snappy, looks and feels good, is intuitive. You can sideload apps, which must enable some interesting use cases. The integration with the Pico hardware is very good: pico recognizes my usual okay space. If I go to a different room, it says that it doesn't know that room and asks me to either let it define a cylinder as a okay space, or have me redraw it. When I exit the okay space, the passthrough camera automatically flips on and it works well enough to read text. Moreover, the camera identifies your controllers and marks them with L and R for left and right hands. It's brilliant and removes sonmicb hassle. Because it's a phone it has bluetooth and you should be able to connect a Bluetooth Headset, but I didn't try yet.

Regarding software, the headset interacts really well both with your phone app and gaming pc. On the phone you can manage your library (I guess) and watch the charging state. Didn't expect it but it turns out to be useful for nez as it saves me walking over and putting it on to see when I can have another go. Connecting the headset to your PC with USB and their app is ver straightforward and Pico will immediately drip you into Steam VR. Great! Haven't tried wifi and virtual desktop yet; I suspect that will work worse given my home network.

All in all, I am very pleased with how much less jank there is to deal with. I think I am really going to use the standalone features a lot, now that I have tried them.

Tracking is very good. Head tracking without a doubt, but even hand tracking works well in all but the most contrived poses. It is certainly preferable to my old 2 sensor setup - that have you coverage of about 270-300 degrees.

Because it is untethered, and I do not need to keep in mind where the sensors are, I can turn and walk without restrictions. This feels so, so much nicer.

Don't need to lose words over the display. It's good. A serious upgrade over the CV1. You can still see that there are pixels, but hardly point out individual ones. And it's good enough to read text. Not tried a flight sims yet but I expect it will work well for that, provided my computer can run that. FOV is good. Only downside is that there is a little bit of light bleed into the headset, which can also cause reflections. But they have out some extra add-ons into the box that should deal with that. Speaking of, taking apart the faceplate and cleaning the headset will be very easy. In line with the refined construction of the entire thing, everything is held in place with metal hinges and magnetic contacts. You can take it apart really easily for modification and cleabing. Impressive.

One little sad point: I bought a little splitter so that I could get s headphone jack from the USB port. Tragically my over ears don't fit over the head band. So I'll have to make do with some in-ears. Oh welk, there is worse.

Oh and the battery life isn't massive. I expect maybe 2 hours use out of it at this moment, Although there is a software update that says it'll improve battery life. Have yet to install it. For now I'll have a power bank in reach.

My overall conclusion is that this is a brilliant headset.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you have time, could you try sideloading a Quest 2 app (Sidequest will have some free ones to download) and see if it works? A lot of people around the internet have asked this, and as far as I can see no-one has given a definitive answer.

E: if you can be bothered of course.

Hey sounds interesting. Any particular apps in mind?

I went to sidequestvr.com and downloaded the apk for "Battle Talent" throught the Pico browser. Pico lets you install the APK and it shows up in your app menu. However it doesn't load; it shows up as active in the 'taskbar' but doesn't do anything. I suspect that Quest apks are not compatible with the Pico. I've read that support for generic android apps does not work for the Pico 4 right now despite it working for the 3, so maybe that situation will become better?

I did a quick Wifi test. I have a router that came with my internet subscription. When I stand next to it I can stream wirelessly and it's okay. It degrades significantly though with every meter. So at the moment, wireless streming is awkward, but it may be better in two months when we move to a place with less interference, or splurge on a better router, or get Pico's Wifi gadget.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 8, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have an old Oculus DK2 in a box. I kept it around for sentimental value but I actually just want to get rid of it.

I don't expect these to be collectors items, but I also think it's a waste to give it to a charity shop that doesn't know what to do with it. Best solution is probably to offer it for a token asking price on a second hand website?

Haven't booted it up since the CV1 released, so I don't even know if it's working.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm growing bored with After the Fall what do I do

What's the game one of the posters is involved in? Cave Digger? Gorilla Tag?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zero VGS posted:

Hey sorry it took so long, had to wait for the game to go off sale for the referral to work.

Bought from you, here's my referral to the chain if anyone else wants Walkabout Mini Golf:

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/zerovgs/2462678267173943

I have that game. I can recommend it! It's really chill.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just for anyone bought a PICO4 and wants somewhere to store it / for travelling, I bought

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004845851127.html

and it's a good solid bit of kit, room for the headset, controllers, charger and a mesh zipper in the lid for cables and accessories.

*squints* you think you can fit some power accessory and ear buds in the mesh or will that be difficult?

e: oh I see, there's foam cutouts. Nice. Might gently hint at my partner who is looking for a gift

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ChocNitty posted:

Yeah, mods do make the game a terrible experience.

I'm sorry for singling you out, but you are the first person on the planet to prefer an unmodded Bethesda game I think

I agree that getting a Skyrim mod collection to work just right can be a fair bit of work, and perhaps it's easier on those who have been doing that for 20 years, but drat, unmodded Skyrim feels downright punishing to me now lol

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

johnny park posted:

Until You Fall is my second favorite "complete" VR game after Alyx. Re: Elite Dangerous, FWIW I tried it in VR and it simply has way too many buttons for me to not be able to look at my keyboard. Maybe if you have a lot of experience playing it and know the control scheme by heart but I couldn't manage it

Gamepad! I've played elite on a controller since release and its way easier than with joystick or keyboard.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey, couldn't find really definitive info on Reddit and this thread usually is very knowledgeable so I thought I'd ask here.

What's currently the best way to get a wired connection to a PC with the Pico 4? Bought it last year to use as stand-alone and for flight simming. But last year my GPU couldn't handle it, so the headset was collecting dust for a long time. I have now upgraded my GPU and want to try again.

I understand that Wi-Fi is king with the Pico4, but that's a non-starter here because I have poo poo wifi in the room where my sim gear is set up.

I also heard that Pico was making a WiFi streaming dongle for the PC. That would be ideal, but it seems that hasn't come to fruition.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I played MSFS2020 in VR on Pico 4 tonight :science:

I used the USB cable. Had the impression that the bitrate suffered a little but tbqh I'm not super sure.

EbolaIvory posted:

You use the USB option with streaming assistant and thats basically your only choice.

Skip the dongle, Buy a cheap router instead if you're going wireless and have to buy a thing.

Bondematt posted:

Yeah, seconding, buy a cheap router.

The router should be WiFi 6, and it will only need to be connected by ethernet to your PC. It does not need to be connected to the internet itself.

I've read that suggestion elsewhere as well. If my PC is already using Ethernet to connect to the internet, how do I connect it to the new dedicated VR streaming router? Is there a USB-to-Ethernet option?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've only ever lived in stone houses so I dunno about frame-and-timber construction with drywall. But even in stone houses I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to replace wiring. I'm mentioning that in case someone is discouraged by the prospect of having to lay some Ethernet, because I initially thought that'd require some major construction work.

If it's built in the latter part of last century, chances are all or most of your wires aren't fixed into the wall. Instead, they're dragged through tubes and pipes. Meaning it's a matter of minutes for a handyman or practiced DIYer to replace a cable. In my case, our home wiring terminates at and around the fusebox. So you tie the desired cable to the existing one that is to be replaced, and perhaps coat it in some soap or lube. And then you just pull cable you want to replace out of the wall, carefully and slowly. Took the guys less than an hour to lay several Ethernet cables.

(They didn't bother to do any cable management though and neither did I so never open the door where all that mess hides behind)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey I wanted to circle back to the additional WiFi 6 router real quick.

What's the name of the configuration that you'd need to make, whereby you insert the VR-WiFi6-router between your computer and the actual router? Is that bridge mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Why not IL2 Battle of Stalingrad? Works great in VR, has singleplayer, decent but not crazy realism