Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Popping in here to ask the experts

I'm about to finally pick up a Quest 2 but folks are telling me I can't use a throwaway Facebook account. How true is that? Do I need to post with a fake account for a while to make it look real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nice, thanks everyone.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So what are the must-have Quest 2 accessories if you're planning to use this thing a lot?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I pulled the trigger on a Quest 2

Which means the next version will be releasing in a month, sorry everyone

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think I need some extra battery life for this thing. I have the elite strap, so should I return it and get the elite battery strap or is there an attractive way to macgyver a power bank onto this thing?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sleepy gary posted:

For now, I've been using an appropriate-length cable that runs to a powerbank in my pocket. This has been working really well for me and is not obtrusive. I think eventually I'll rig something up on the strap though.

Yeah that's what I'm kind of settling on. I have dozen power banks already, might as well use those.

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of music instrument apps on the Quest store. The kaossilator app by Korg is one of my favorite phone apps and it would be nice to have something in the same vein in 3d space

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think I am definitely old now. I remember hooking my dad up with Super Black Bass for the SNES way back when and laughing at how entranced he was with it. The guy thought it was a modern miracle - fishing right in the den!

Well now I'm fully happy sitting for twenty minutes with this headset on just looking around at the lobby environments. I can't stop thinking about beat saber while I'm at work. I have become my dad, completely blown away by what I assume is a very mundane technology to someone much younger than me.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

NmareBfly posted:

What're some good seated VR showcase things that complete non-gamer parents might enjoy? I saw theBlu recommended and that's about what I mean. Reverb, so no oculus exclusive I'm afraid. Google Earth for sure.

Same question but also standing

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jesus motion sickness is no joke. I spent like half an hour playing Gorn with smooth motion on and I'm still sick a few hours later.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hit my first big VR disappointment today. I had high hopes for Phasmophobia but dang it is janky as hell. Also there is something about the graphics I don't like that I can't quite put my finger on - like the very edges of objects are lit differently than the rest of the object and the aliasing is more pronounced than in other games, but in general everything looks kind of wrong. Which is weird, because it's just Unity.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

lunar detritus posted:

wouldn't that make them responsible for what people stream?

I think their servers will only host tv/movies from their store and local files will still be p2p

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Some years ago a friend invited me over for her kid's birthday party. Usually going to kids' parties as an adult means that the parents and their friends just drink around a grill while the kids do their thing somewhere else. Not a bad time as a rule.

I show up to the party and I am the only adult there. None of the kids knew who I was, so I'm just this adult man walking through a huge back yard filled with 12-year-olds. I wander around looking for the mom and it turns out she passed out drunk some time around noon. The kids knew this and has figured out that they could do anything they wanted because 1. no supervision and 2. the mom lost the moral high ground. I never felt more out of place or uncomfortable.

Anyway that's exactly how vrchat made me feel so I think I'll stick with bigscreen.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

explosivo posted:

I played a couple rounds of golf last night and it's definitely a noticeable improvement. With all the time I spent figeting with the hmd in the past to get the blurriness to go away I was never able to get it perfect try as I might, and I could never tell if the lenses were smudged or scuffed or if that's just the resolution and it won't ever get better. It's now clear to me that blurriness was because of my hosed up eyes lol. I'm not blind without my glasses so it's a light prescription but it's a big improvement and I'm very happy.

How light a prescription are we talking? I wear glasses sometimes but the prescription is so small I didn't think it would affect the image

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder how Facebook is sourcing their hardware to be able to meet the crazy demand this Christmas. So many of my family and friends got a Quest, and seeing the app top charts I'm guessing it's a pretty widespread phenomenon

Surely some of the success is due to a Quest 2 being pretty much the only electronic entertainment product available this year

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

When your wifi is set up right, wireless through Virtual Desktop is honestly some kind of black magic. I don't know what their secret sauce is but it even outperforms wired through Oculus link.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I see a lot of talk about the lens inserts, but do they offer any advantage over using contacts? Assuming a person is able to wear them I mean.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the major companies in the VR business are moving their timetables up a bit after seeing the massive sales numbers on the Quest.

Also I bet we will see at least one good Quest-alike out of China or Taiwan running a similar Android OS.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

All these metaverse pitches seem like they came from marketing consultants who have no idea what makes VR appealing. Like I don't think there is a single mainstream application for VR outside entertainment, education, and fitness. I don't even think socials will crack the VR space other than having their feeds visible somewhere while in another app.

I am looking forward to the first mixed reality headset that cracks the market like the Quest did, though. I would imagine a lot of the stupid ideas we're seeing now might be kinda-sorta plausible in that kind of setup.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

I'm trying to buy cookies at the virtual Walmart but I don't see anywhere to plug in my CueCat???

Just order this peripheral, wait a month to get it, unplug your keyboard, plug in your CueCat, then scan a barcode in a print media ad to see the same ad in your browser! I wonder what ancient lawyer/accountant in the C-suite gave that project the greenlight

Definitely the same vibe as "walmart but in VR"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are folks absolutely sure the manufacturing cost for these headsets is high enough that companies have to subsidize the cost? I can't find many headset teardowns, but apparently the original Rift had a component cost of like $140

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

The total cost of a device also accounts for all of the money that was spent on R&D to develop the device. So even if the cost to physically construct the device is less than the selling price, the device is subsidized if the selling price doesn't cover that device's share of the R&D budget. So when we say that facebook is eating the cost of a Quest, it's really just that R&D cost that we're talking about.

Yeah if we're talking total return on investment over time for the entire enterprise, but the manufacturing cost is what is relevant when you're talking about whether a company makes money (or recoups money) with each unit shipped or ships it below cost to get people into their ecosystem.

Like in the above conversation about whether it would be in Sony's interest to enable some kind of pcvr compatibility, the answer would be yes in the former scenario but no in the latter

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

If you spend $1 billion to R&D a device and then sell it for just the manufacturing cost, you are by definition subsidizing the device because you just lost $1 billion, and your investors are really going to want you to have a plan to make it back through the device somehow. Or you're Facebook and are swimming in so much money that that $1 billion is essentially a rounding error.

Yeah, that's the question I originally had though. Are we sure these are actually being sold at/below manufacturing cost?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Megasabin posted:

Seems like the Oculus really just didn't like that charging cable. Weird.

Are there any free or cheap apps/games that are good/impressive to show off VR to other people? RE4 is the only game I own currently and There's friends I'd rather not just pop into that.

You should have the First Steps app on there already, which is pretty nice for a tech demo.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

m.hache posted:

Best mount and carrying case for an oculus quest 2? I 3D printed one and while it works now once my Kiwi strap shows up it'll definitely fall over.

Also something to travel with to keep it safe.

A lot of folks, including me, are fans of the Apache case line from Harbor Freight. I got the 3800 but I'll probably move up to the 4800 if I end up with more accessories.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

m.hache posted:

Thanks. drat that's expensive for a case. Almost a third of the cost of the headset up here in Canada

Dang, down here they are thirty and fifty bucks respectively.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Frog Act posted:

Maybe it didn’t and those are the limited options people talk about with native VR support - I’ll have to give it another try and make sure it launches right, because I’ve already played subnautica for 100+ hours and know I love it so getting it working properly in VR would be quite nice

I found that Subnautica in VR was a lot better when I used the swim up/swim down buttons (I think R1 and L1 buttons) more, which I barely ever did playing through with mouse and keyboard

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

After explaining how to use the Quest with SteamVR I realized how bonkers all these settings are

You have two different oculus apps, only one of which you should actually use (that mainly mentions the rift), the VD streamer app, and of course Steam/SteamVR. Then you have contradictory video/bitrate settings at each layer, with no way to know what overrides what. Then if you really want to get technical, you can dig through the Nvidia control panel to see several more vr settings, not to mention the two kinds of SS that may or may not work with any given game.

Setting it up is fairly straightforward but if there is any tweaking required to smooth out the experience it becomes very confusing very quickly

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like that early evolution video where the tiny arthropod predators are giant and scary

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Minnesota Manatee posted:

How would I go about renting or buying online versions of feature films like Fury Road to watch in 3D using my headset? Is that even currently possible without owning a physical copy of the 3D edition?

This is one of those times :filez: is by far the easiest method, even if you own the 3d bluray

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Substandard posted:

What's the best video player for a quest 2 if I want to sit in a fake theater and check it out? Skybox seemed to be the one mentioned on reddit. Is that the one to get?

Bigscreen if you want to play local files or use their video rental system, or Virtual Desktop to play stuff from your computer

It would be really nice to be able to mount smb shares on the quest

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

My BoboVR M2 strap broke in typical fashion. At this point I think the only strap I can absolutely recommend is the DAS.

That's a shame, it has the best design of any battery strap imo

Is their customer service doing anything about it? If their customer service exists I mean

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Really don't like long guns in VR. Anything you're supposed to hold/aim with two hands really throws me off and gives the impression on holding a slippery pool noodle

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

lol "facebook shills"

Sure buddy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I mean we can all hope that someone else makes a vr headset that doesn't cost a thousand bucks plus an entire high end gaming PC, but until then vr does not exist in any way that matters outside of what Facebook is making as far as 99% of consumers are concerned

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I would 100% without a doubt put myself through a window playing that

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I mean yesterday I went over my couch trying to make a save in Eleven Table Tennis

I think Blaston would immediately be like the end of a Matt Foley sketch

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

More competition is always great, but seeing the Magic Leap CEO on this team is not doing much for confidence in anything meaningful coming from this project

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm still a little hazy on how cross-buy works in the Oculus store. So if I buy a game in the Oculus store, I can run that game natively on the Quest stand-alone OR I can use the Oculus app on my PC to run it over Link? And if so, what is the advantage of running it from the PC?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well this talk makes me want to try Skyrim in VR. I'm ballin at paying $60 for it when I have regular Skyrim several times over - does it go on sale often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Substandard posted:

It's <$20 on humble store right now

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr

Fallout 4 vr is also on a huge sale there

Perfect, thanks