Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

KTS posted:

I just had no issue buying it, you're trying to buy it through the Ubisoft store and not Oculus correct?

I’m trying right now and getting the same issue. $7 off from the promo code but total is still $28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Turin Turambar posted:

Fanatical offers the Star Trek game for Rift/Quest for $11. See here https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ee86r8/star_trek_bridge_crew_only_1143_get_it_while_it/

Also, today's deal is Moss.

Thanks! Missed the Ubisoft sale by hours so this is very appreciated.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
How is this even going to work, most products that require an account just have you login and maybe set preferences or something. I’m pretty sure Facebook has banned people and at their scale there’s probably lots of obscure ways you end up with no account or locked out, are they really creating a situation where you can buy something physical from a store and it’s instantly a brick? I know consumer protections are weak but if they don’t have an escape hatch, this seems ill considered.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Hadlock posted:

This isn't terribly different from buying a cell phone from the Sprint or Verizon store. Up until 4G your cell phone was locked to that network due to the protocols the modem's hardware supported in that exact phone.

Only difference is it's not a cell network, now it's a social network

Yeah that’s why I called out the non-guaranteed part of having an account. You can lose your account for having bad opinions. I suspect cell phone companies only ban you for bad actions towards poo poo they own or crimes.

It’d be one thing (though lovely) if you could create new accounts or a fake account but you explicitly can’t.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Well my quest 2 arrived and I have Virtual Desktop set up and working quite well. But not yet perfectly and I'm trying to figure out if the plan I've cobbled together from poorly written reddit posts makes sense (for real, y'all, stop talking about networks and wifi and then saying your latency is around 32ms - is that overall, combined latency? Just network latency?)

I have a 3070 and a 9600kf CPU so that side is working extremely well. I also have a Netgear C6250-100NAS, which is a combo cable modem and wifi router. My PC is connected via cat6 directly to the router and the router is about 6 feet from the headset with direct line of sight. Overall latency is usually around 30-40ms but the interesting part is that the network latency is usually the laggard - coming in at 10-14ms the vast majority of the time, which shows in yellow in VD starting at about 11ms I think?. Other 3 timings are usually around 6-8ms each, fluctuating a bit.

So it works pretty well, VD says the connection is 866mbps, pretty drat impressive and it's very smooth most of the time. However! Every, say, 2 minutes or so I'll get network latency spikes in the range of 28-40ms for a few seconds. And from what I've been able to piece together, there's a good chance this is occurring because A. combo cable/wifi router, not the best at anything and, more importantly B. the router despite being plenty fast enough does not have MU-MIMO on it and thus when there is contention for wifi network accesses among my other devices, speeds are solid but latency starts increasing temporarily as it attempts to serve multiple devices and splitting up the time slots. Does this seem correct?

Finally, my plan: get a cheap MU-MIMO wifi router (perhaps a Tenda AC10U - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ES6ZQ7O?tag=306digi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 or TP-LINK Archer A6 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1L5HX1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1) to use as a dedicated access point just for the quest.

If I understand it correctly the setup will look like this: Connect the dedicated router's WAN port to ethernet port on the cable wifi router. Set the dedicated router to access point mode. Change my PC's ethernet connection from the cable wifi router over to the dedicated router's gigabit ethernet ports.

And finally, and this is the part I'm least clear on, connect the quest to the dedicated router wirelessly. But how does this work? Do access point mode routers have their own network? The whole point of this is that the quest will be the only wireless device on this router - Will it appear as a separate wifi network named however I like? Or will it invisibly just be an extension of the cable wifi router's wifi network and devices use signal strength to decide what to connect to?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

You can configure the accesspoint to be a different network name with different password. That's what you want. Also make sure you are on a different channel. One reason you are running into problems may be intererence among other devices using that frequency. If you run another access point on the same frequency it won't help (and may make it slightly worse).

Are you also near your router? It's better to have your new router near your headset more than it being near your first router.

Good call, I ran a channel analyzer and discovered 161 was not in use and moved my current router to that channel but in this case 161 would go to dedicated router, and my cable Wi-Fi router would move to a different channel, yes. I am very near my router - same room within about 6-8 feet and I can get the new router even closer.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you even need mu mimo if your quest is the only thing on the access point? There shouldn’t be contention at all at that point, right?

Really great point. I suppose not, but I figure a device that is solely concerned with being good at wifi is likely to be better about latency and such (also has external antennas) and if I can get mu-mimo for low $40s, why not? But if there’s a somehow even cheaper router that is rock solid but without mimo, I’d take a close look.

But you’re quite right, guides are positioned for the general case, not for people with combo cable wifi routers, where it would be the primary device and this need to share airtime and see benefits from mimo and I overlooked that.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 8, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Holy crap y’all, getting a dedicated router worked like a charm, for $43 I’m now pegged at 90fps and perfect network latency (averaging 8ms compared to 11-15 and bursts up to 30-40) this is so goddamn cool. Battery pack and Velcro arrive Sunday and then I’m set with a spotless wireless vr setup!

Other notes: quest 2 looked a little blurry but I noticed that if I pulled it ever so slightly away from my face it looked better - added in the glasses spacer even though I don’t wear glasses and it’s right on the money now. I hope they can keep improving the lens - sweet spot looks really great compared to rift s but above and below still get blurry and chromatic abberationy but it’s only a bother when reading desktop app style text. Screen door effect is basically gone now. Elite strap is not optional. I loving hate facebook but this subsidiary has done great work.

Virtual desktop is sent from god through that dev’s fingertips. Router is a TP-Link Archer (edit: C6 not A6 - they are the same thing but the A series is a special Amazon only SKU) - it’s not the newest version but you really start to cap out at 80-120mbps for video nitrate and that’s way within what modern routers can do. Network latency stability is far more important here and you probably don’t need wifi 6 if you can do a dedicated router as access point connected to wired pc.

Beyond impressed $20 software can pull this off.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

explosivo posted:

OH also, I have been using the elite strap the last few days and couldn't figure out why but it was fitting really weirdly and I pretty much had to latch it onto my face by tightening it way too tight. Last night I remembered that there's an adjustable strap on the top, too. :downs:

After tightening the top strap a lot more than it was when I first put it together, I'm fully on board with the elite strap, holy poo poo. Pulling the top strap back enough and angling the visor ever so slightly lets you rest the whole thing on your head with the headset kind of dangling in front of your eyes in the right position, if that makes any sense. I was ratcheting it in closer to keep it on my head but quickly realized the benefit of the strap isn't necessarily the tightening part, it's that the hard plastic is way better at supporting the whole apparatus without needing the whole weight of the headset resting like on your cheekbones to keep it up. My VR Cover is lost in the mail apparently, but I'm really looking forward to finally swapping out the foam with something more comfortable and I think I'll be golden.

This is 100% true and key. Do not overlook this. I just got mine a few days ago and was relying on tightening the back with it smashed against my face and my face was hurting like crazy, especially on the forehead.

Now I’ve figured out a better way: unfasten the top strap and give it some slack. Then, one hand to hold the front nice and level against your face so the foam is pressing equally and center lens is clear. Tighten the back, not too tight. Make sure the back is cradling your back head by pressing it into position and adjust the arm angle and tighten a bit more. Can probably make it so it’s a bit low on your face as you will pull it back up with the top strap in the next step. Now tighten the top strap so it lifts the whole apparatus a little and the lens should move back towards clear. It should know be kind of suspended on your head. Do a touch more (2-3 clicks) tightening or just final adjustment in whatever way feels comfortable and light - I usually pull the back down a touch to shift the weight a bit and adjust the arm angle so that the foam is well distributed and not high pressure against any part of my face.

It’s sounds like a lot but I’m trying to be explicit, after a bit of practice you can do it in a few seconds. It’s even better now that my velcro battery mod is in place!

Edit: also once you get the top strap gauged to the right distance you won’t have to adjust it much, if at all unless someone else uses it so getting the headset on and adjusted is even quicker than the process described above.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 11, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pantsfree posted:

This makes me think my lenses are pretty bad. I have quite obvious god rays from pretty much any high-contrast scene, including the oculus 'O' logo when you first turn it on, and the on-screen keyboard (looks v smeary unless in dead centre of vision. Chromatic aberration is bad to the point where i can distinctly see the three separate colours of a white line when viewed on the edge of the lens.

Is this the kind of thing Oculus is accepting returns/exchanges for?

It's possible your lenses have issues, but I'm wondering if this isn't just the result of purposefully made tradeoffs in current lens technology. My inference is that they are trying to balance multiple issues, but the most important one is things looking pretty good in game. Chromatic aberration has got to be difficult if not impossible to completely eliminate in a mass market product and it is relatively minimal in the sweet spot but you're (understandably; we want to measure and understand how good the lens' are) rating it against the absolute most difficult conditions possible: white, sharp edged text against dark backgrounds. In most games it's far less noticeable because a bit of color shift in textures and images that vary frequency-wise far more slowly than white edge -> black background is not something we are good at perceiving. Same with it getting more blurry as you approach the edges; this has been the case since the first VR systems but in games you don't notice it because outside of the center of our vision our eyes and brain start cheating a lot - color reproduction drops off and the edges of our vision are already out of perfect focus so a blurriness is not a huge deal. That said, when you turn your eyes to the corners you definitely can watch the imperfections easily but I think most of us do that in a way similar to performance testing PC upgrades - at first you are checking everything and extremely focused on minor details, but once you get it locked in and just play a lot of the imperfections melt away.

I think Oculus is likely very aware of these limits - for example, notice that their controls and store and such are light gray text on dark grey backgrounds; this helps minimize chromatic aberration but I'm sure most of us are checking and trying things out using our usual designed-for-PC programs and tools like, say, reading the very high contrast forums via virtual desktop which is absolutely going to shine a spotlight on current lens tech's weaknesses.

Anyways, I didn't write this to minimize your experiences or say you're wrong - you get to choose what good enough is! Just to try and add some context to the possibility of redditors spinning up narratives about lens quality (which could be a thing still! IDK!) instead of perhaps realizing we all experience this stuff in different ways and under different conditions and wanting everything to be perfect, and perhaps not understanding the enormous load of engineering tradeoffs that must have gone into this thing (tradeoffs are not a bad thing! All of engineering is tradeoffs including making the perfect device, the tradeoff of which is it would cost insane money and/or have to be built to spec for each user!)

I personally won't be using Quest 2 as a replacement interface for forums or PC desktop usage because the CA is still large enough outside of the absolute sweet spot that my eyes get tired trying to focus it out of existence. But in experiences designed for VR, despite being the type of person who turns off motion smoothing when I go to a friend's house, the display is good enough that I'm not thinking about it almost ever - my favorite improved part is how screen door effect is almost completely gone! Oh and smooth 90hz scrolling. My work macbook looks like poo poo when scrolling after this weekend.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know the technical details, but from what I understand, video is streamed from the host, but gameplay is probably using some retroarch feature since it can become desynced and everyone in the room needs the exact same rom image or they can't see the game on the TV. But it does allow hot swapping of controls, so if you were having trouble in a part, you could give your virtual controller to your virtual big brother to beat that part for you, or step out of a smash brothers game so someone else could take your spot. I don't know the official limit but i know you can have more than 4 people in a room.

I have it on 1.2 with a 3080, but the oculus render resolution is also the first place you should change it for global settings, as it applies across the board to anything rendered. I would use the steam render settings as well, unless you want some game specific settings.

I really wish someone would put together a flow chart of how these things interact nowadays, especially in the case of Oculus combined with SteamVR. Like in video games where you have attribute changes in an RPG. If you have I.E. You have an item which give 10% extra strength and a perk that gives 50% strength - some games will do 100% + 10% + 50% = 160% and others will do multiplicative (100% + 10%) * 150% = 165%

Like one cheatsheet image to rule them all and explain each case.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

If my wifi ends up being bunk could I ethernet a separate router to use for my oculus? I can’t replace my primary entirely because it’s also my fiber modem.

Also man, seeing this kind of stuff is getting me excited, it’s like building a new pc after a decade and unlocking all the cool new tech.

This is exactly what I’m doing and it’s working great. $45 router to act as access point with a cable from the wan port to my cable modem/wifi router which provides internet. Then PC Ethernet to the access point, and the quest as the only device on the access point (which has a different ssid than my cable modem/router). You don’t need wifi 6 so I was pleasantly surprised by how affordable a dedicated router was.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

Mind sharing what model you got? I haven’t bought a router since my WRT54G.

Edit: does going PC > access point > main router/modem add any latency to online games I play on that PC if it’s all hard wired?

Yeah, no problem! It's a TP-Link Archer C6 - if you get it on amazon it will be called an A6 as they have a special amazon SKU but it's the same product. The other option I was looking at was a Tenda A10U - both are about $42-45 on Amazon.

As for latency addition, I'm not an expert but I imagine it will be pretty small (I'm going to guess 3-5ms based on nothing at all) since you are hooked via ethernet from the access point vr router into your main internet wifi router but don't take this as100% certainty.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pantsfree posted:

This is fair - I know there are inherent tradeoffs with fresnel lenses, chromatic aberration being one of them. Lenses are hard to make, good lenses are expensive and complicated and heavy. I agree that these flaws generally aren't visible in game, which is why I haven't been very worried about it. What does appear to be pretty clear based on all the reddit nonsense is that there's a wide variance in lens quality with the Quest 2, which is not surprising for a comparatively cheap VR headset. The same also occurs with camera lenses, just that most people never pixel peep or compare to know whether they have a 'good' or 'bad' copy. Generally the more 'pro' up the scale you go, the tighter the tolerances become.

It just sucks to learn you might have a 'bad' one, and it's hard to know what's within an acceptable quality range and what is not.

I've tried out attaching an Anker 10000mAh battery to the back of the elite strap with velcro and it works surprisingly well as a counterweight, the whole thing feels lighter, but you do notice the increased inertia when you move your head around and also you look like even more of a dork.

Yeah, I haven't seen the lens quality issues thing but I don't doubt it may be a real thing, I just wanted to try and bridge two ideas - one, that these lenses are not a spot-on general viewing device thing suitable for everything (and many of us don't have experience with what these lens 'should' look like) and two, there could be issues with mass market lens manufacturing quality but just because the lenses are not perfect doesn't necessarily mean you got a bum one. You put it very well, though.

I also added an Anker Powercore 10000mAh PD via velcro on Sunday and it's great. Tripled my battery life, doesn't get in the way at all, and acts as a solid counterweight. I'm now starting to forget it's on my face sometimes.

Compare that to Saturday when I hadn't yet figured out the right way to put on the elite strap (tighten the top strap! most of the weight should be held by the top of your head, not front to back - use that for *lightly* vise-gripping your face to hold it steady) and it was giving me insane forehead pain and making me wonder if I would need to return it.

More notes on the Anker - You want one with Power Delivery - PD so it provides 2.4? 3? amps - enough to keep it slightly charging or very slightly draining. Don't get the Metro at Best Buy and other brick and mortar - get PD! Also don't bother with the PD Redux, it's $10 more for nothing extra. Finally, it doesn't come with a charger, just the brick and a short cable (which is about the perfect length for attaching from the back velcro setup to the quest charge port) - luckily I have an iPhone USB-C fast charger so I didn't need to buy anything extra.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

Wifi latency is generally higher than that, then you have decoder latency (which you also get on link cable). Under perfect conditions you can get around 6-8ms latency from network, though it's not hard to end up at 10ms through little fault of your own.

VD has some good tools to tell you what your waiting on. But usually latency of 30ms or under all together is pretty good and going to be really hard to notice.

Correct, I was talking about PC -> VR Router -> internet router all linked via ethernet, not wireless latency. Like what additional latency is introduced to PC games by the extra access point to internet router connection.

You're exactly right on the wireless latency, I'm getting 7-8 ms network latency steady. 10-11 is also essentially perfect, and then from 11-16ish? VD will start highlighting network latency in yellow.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

Sweet, ordered on Amazon for 42 bones. I also drew a picture to make sure I get the set up right.

Do I have to do A or could I just as easily do B? My concern is that I also play twitchy low-as-possible latency shooters with friends.

I am doing A - you want minimal sources of delay so we want ethernet pc to vr router so that the dominating latency factor is wireless. Since you will only have one device on the wifi, that should also be minimized as far as we are able to. (also connect new vr router WAN port to any regular ethernet port on your internet router, it'll probably have 2-4 available, then go into settings and put it in Access Point mode. It's very easy to do)

Again, not an expert, but ethernet connections are limited mostly by the speed of light and any processing when you hit a router. They are designed for that, to just pass the data through as fast as it can, so I'm guessing very low single digit ms latency will be added - and doing a quick look around it looks like it may be more like measured in the microseconds, up to maybe 1 ms extra time. I think even in twitch heavy games your internet connection and distance to server is going to be the dominating term by far but I'd love for backup from someone more into networking.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

canyoneer posted:

I have a power brick in my back pocket with a 5 foot cable. I like that setup a lot.
Reminds me of the old Petzl headlamps with the batteries in a belt pack

That's also a good setup but I didn't want the chance of cables getting ripped out - I hear people often route the cord inside their shirt but often I don't wear a shirt and often I don't have, uh, pockets.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

Love the visual aid.

A and B shouldn't make a difference and I'd probably suggest B for ease. Modern routers are REALLY good at directing traffic once it has the packet. Speed of light good. The extra hop is not a big deal if it's a decent router.

Yeah, the difference is going to be well under your rounding errors since you have wifi involved anyway. B looks just easier to manage for most situations.

Your delay is coming from wifi and the decoder. The big thing is to get your PC wired so your not introducing ANOTHER wifi layer. If its connected and your router isn't saturated/super crappy it should be fine.

Perfectly explained.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

lol.

Ok so I’m gonna go with B to keep the setup simpler and the new router 100% for the oculus. Should I still put the new one in “access point mode” if I’m planning on using a separate, hidden ID?

I believe so because I think that allows you to use a separate ssid so you can ensure only the quest is on the vr router and no other devices, and prevent the quest from accidentally connecting to your internet router. But I'm not 100% sure since you are doing a slightly different topology than what I set up.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it's good, youre lowering your carbon footprint and the poo poo usually works. Amazon typically offers 90 day warranties on refurb products

Electronics failure rates fall under the umbrella of things governed by what we call the bathtub curve: failure rates are high at first and drop precipitously in the first month or two, like the steep wall of a bathtub’s outline, then bottom out for years like the floor of a bath before slowly rising over time like the shallow wall of a tub. This corresponds to devices that got past QA but have some busted or bad component that goes bad very quickly, devices that have a long successful life, and then those surviving devices that, after years, have some part that wears out or slowly goes bad.

The ones that die right away are where refurb stock comes from: if they can be rescued or easily fixed, they sell it for cheaper (and sometimes the fix doesn’t work/there’s a deeper more insidious issue - this is when refurb devices fail quickly within the shortened warranty window) but if they make it through the first 3 months of the new warranty they’re likely to be fine long term. So at worst you might have to get a replacement refurb and your savings are offset by extra hassle.

Then there’s the products that are just designed so poorly/cut rate components that refurbs are as likely to die at random as they are to survive long term, but that’s not as common as you move away from indistinguishable Shenzen brands towards names you’ve heard of - though sometimes a product is just a lemon design still!

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 13, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

I got wireless working. My new TP-Link doesn’t show until tomorrow but it still worked almost perfectly with my stock modem/router that has 8+ things on it.

Every couple minutes of playing I saw some blanking out of the corner of my eye when moving my head quickly but it’s still 99% perfect and absolutely playable.

drat, wireless PCVR, that is quite a step.

Awesome, congrats. I haven’t even played any roomscale games, or even standing yet since I’m giving casual social stuff like big screen or rec room a second chance. Paintball is really cool.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

Got my TP-Link A6 set up easily and it’s working great.

Recommendation +1.

Glad I could help, have a great time!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lozareth posted:

The one that Oculus themselves bundles with the elite strap and carrying case. I don't even know the specs of it.

I think it’s about equal to the built in battery, a little over 5000mAh I wanna say? I wish they made it a bit larger, I ended up making a 10000mAh mod that triples the battery life - hard to imagine I would play more than 5-6 hours without needing a break. Also feels long enough for taking it to someone’s house and letting a group try it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

PantsBandit posted:

Hey guys, my two sisters got vr and want to play something with me. Are there any good, relatively chill oculus titles for 3 people?

I'm trying to get my one sister to play PokerStars, echo arena is on the docket as well but that might be a bit too much motion for a new player.

Walkabout Minigolf. I just got done playing it with my partner who’s very much casual and it was great. Very chill, low movement, the physics feel spot on and though I’ve only done the first course, the designs seems solid - 5 courses with unlockable hard versions. I can’t believe this game isn’t higher profile!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

caldrax posted:

I got an index to play Alyx last year and played a lot of VR games before it came out (Moss, Walking Dead S&S, Superhot), and then after Alyx I was basically "done" and nothing else could compare for awhile, I sort of fell off and it just sat there not being used for awhile. Something bit me in the rear end over the last few days and I decided I want to use it as a workout, so I started playing Pistol Whip and Beat Saber again for the first time in awhile, but I also felt like I wanted a new experience to liven it up, so I picked up Until You Fall after skimming the beginning of this thread, and spent about a half hour tonight getting sweaty with swords, and it was a great time. Really looking forward to playing this more (and I noticed I can unlock axes and stuff, that's exciting), glad to have read that recommendation.

Join the Thrill of the Fight cult. Best workout, if you’re not in good shape at the moment (or if you indeed look like Paul Bellini) one fight is likely to fully gas you. Start slow or the next few days will be filled with soreness!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

caldrax posted:

I was looking into that the other day, only thing is my play space is directly in front of my TV (I have a one bedroom apartment with nowhere else to set up) and from what I've been seeing you have to move around your space physically a lot, I'm nervous about punching a hole in my TV.

Can you turn around and face away from the tv? I’m surprised to see how many people move around in Thrill of the Fight. I’ve been using a rift S until about 2 weeks ago and I never got used to working with the cable, always afraid I’d spin too many times or step on it, so the vast majority of my time in TotF I barely took a step in either direction and still got a superlative workout from it. You can stay in place and just dodge your upper body no problem. Throw a tenner on it, it’s worth it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am having a grand old time playing Pop:1 lately. I’ve found it to be very non-toxic in general and especially for a battle Royale. most people have been very cool.

I’ve got a few wins under my belt, and I friended some cool randoms that I’ve come across, so there are generally people to play with if I dont feel like going to complete rando squads.

It also seems very populated, as I never have to wait more than about 30 seconds for a game. On the weekends it can be near instantaneous.

Game is good.

It’s really good. Climbing and gliding mechanics feel great and it’s nice and streamlined. TanningChatum on oculus, let’s play! RIP RiM.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

overdesigned posted:

I ordered my elite strap w/battery and case combo right after christmas and it took a solid 3 weeks to get to me from the oculus site. Still beat their published estimate of February 2nd though.

On that note I burned through a full augmented battery playing Walkabout Mini Golf today. Great game, really nails the putt-putt experience. I'd pay for DLC courses.

Same. And throw in some crazier courses. Man that game just feels right.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

explosivo posted:

Can you do solo matches or do you have to matchmake into a squad?

You’re always in a squad of 3. Seconding Sillyballs, I haven’t seen any toxicity in 50 matches and add a lot of randos. I just got done playing, got a second win with some kids. Jim if you’re looking for people to play with - tanningchatum on oculus.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think we have to exchange the weird nintendo-like friend code they give you in the game? I'll look mine up

Also, yeah, you are always in a squad of 3. The way the menus are structured makes me think that solos and duos or something similar is coming

Cool! Yeah they have to be working on other modes I would think. 3s is solid though, it’s a good size. Solos would be cool but removes the reviving mechanic completely.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Pop One friend code: 658W-UK84-P2D3-8

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

explosivo posted:

I got one game of Pop1 in and had a cool group and a pretty good time, I'm going to need to spend some time learning how to move around quickly and not awkwardly. Seems like you could probably play it sitting down alright too which is always nice to have. Graphics on the Quest look like poo poo though, it kinda makes me wonder if it'd be better to buy it on steam and VD to play it through SteamVR.

It’s cross buy on oculus, I play via VD as an oculus game and if I’m ever away from my pc I can still play.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Graphics on pc don’t look much better, they just run at a better framerate. Not to understate the importance of that though. I play on PC via VD just for the 90fps.

But yeah, as stated, get the oculus version because you get it on Quest and PC for one price.

The graphics themselves are the same, yeah, but PC gets better resolution and much better AA. All the jaggies of the quest version are gone which I find helps legibility of far off players a lot. But stuff like the relatively short pop in distance for items you can pick up are exactly the same as quest.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah they did the thing where they changed the Pc version to match quest (removal of shadows, item pop in etc).

I will say I sort of like the short item pop in because that means you can’t scope the good guns from the jump and you actually need to land and commit before you find out if you won the gun lottery

I know some people are mad about that but I never played the beta where they Pc version was different so I don’t know any better :iiam:

Min maxers are always mad when they aren’t treated like royalty. gently caress em.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Skyarb posted:

Or maybe when we spend good money on an index and a good computer we don't want to be forced to play a game whose settings only allow for the lowest common denominator because facebook threw money and the studio and they could give gently caress all about anything else. Tons and tons of games allow for increased fidelty on pc, this is no different.

I truly hope you escape the clutches of whoever is forcing you to play games. I’ll take fair matches and games that fill quickly, but that’s just one person’s opinion.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont think they removed HD assets or anything drastic like that. As far as I can tell, the only differences with the PC version as it stands today are it’s higher framerate, slightly better textures and better AA.

The rumblings online say that the PC version used to have player shadows and farther weapon pop in, but both were removed because they give an unfair advantage to PC players.

Let’s all be honest, pop1 was never a good looking game, on any platform, and that’s not its goal. Its mechanically fantastic, that’s its goal. It’s not like the devs took it from Alyx levels of visuals to what it is now. They needed a couple things to not give a huge leg up over the quest.

Let’s just be thankful that they did smart things like making it cross-buy on oculus and cross-play on every platform right out of the gate, and because of that, between quest and PC there are enough people playing to get full lobbies all the time. That’s the bigger deal in VR right now, not the visual fidelity of a game that was never visually stunning to begin with.

Well said.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sadly I can't afford am Index, I have a Quest 2. I'll probably bite. I dunno, I bought a 3090 and a new cpu just for VR Stuff and now I'm a bit cheap in spending cash for actual games.

I don’t like to judge how people spend their money but you spent, what, £800 for a 15% FPS increase but £60 is too much? I can’t believe this is a phenomenon. That is eye popping.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I cranked Pop1 up to 150% SS, we’ll see if it makes distant enemies any clearer :getin:

Please report back!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Tip posted:

You bought a $1500 video card that is 15% faster than the $700 video card.

Like I said, it’s your money and you can spend it how you like. But that card is literally positioned as the “money is not an object” card and to then struggle with mere game prices, I don’t understand it. It’s probably a helluva system though!

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 27, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yo, where did I struggle with game prices? I asked if deals existed, cause depending on yes or no, Alyx is an instant buy or "buy it next month" title. Seeing as I spend around 2600€ on a new system +quest 2,this seems fairly logical no?

Sorry for asking apparently. I bought a 3090,all strippers are on me+ free copies of Alyx!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There isn't a way to get a deal on HL Alyx, right? I desperately wanna play it, but it feels steep to me.

:shrug: you do you, I personally plan hardware buys such that I don’t even have to think about buying a full price game sometimes, but everyone is different. I just am unable to get my mind around this concept - it has parallels to people who buy new phones and balk at paying more than a dollar for a game they’ll play for hours. Never got it, but it’s a thing.

The drat supply situation sucks so bad though, glad you at least got to upgrade!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sent. I’m one-t-Matt

Nice, confirmed. I had some decent rounds and tried out a brilliant tactic I read about. With someone on your tail, run in a building and the. Immediately climb the wall you just passed through and hang above and shoot your confused quarry.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

I use that exact one as well (though I just keep the battery in my pocket). Note the HMU will still drain slightly faster than it will charge, but quick napkin math is it would be good for about 6 hours straight, probably more.

You want either that one or the 10000mAh version. Anker sells a bunch of similar products and what you want is one labeled PD - power delivery. This provides enough amps to keep the built in battery topped off or very slowly discharging.

Note that there’s also a PD Redux model that doesn’t add anything but almost doubles the price. 10000 and 20000 should go for about $25 and $50, respectively. Use that to help gauge if you’re getting the right model.

My 10000mAh battery gives me about 6-7 hours of gaming, so about 3x the battery life. Built in battery is about 3600 mAh and elite strap with battery is around 5000 I think? Thus doubling the battery.

I mounted my battery on top of the elite strap, so i didn’t go with the 20000 mAh battery because I figure it would add too much weight without enough corresponding increase in counter weighting. It may work better if you mount it below the elite strap, where it provides more torque.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Population One added a (so far) limited time mode - 9 v 9 with one shrink to a small square. Pretty chaotic but also fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Skyarb posted:

Is there enough of a population for that game that you aren't just playing against the same people over and over again?

Definitely. Having it be available on quest means I’m at 50 games and I’ve never seen anyone twice. When I had one kill I was like 50000th in the weekly rankings.